Evonik

Evonik Reviews

Evonik insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Excellent Products and Technical Service . More internally focused than previous management.

Excellent products and training . Don't always care about employees . Very Safety oriented and promotes diversity. Used to care about customers and employees but now more focused on profits , sustainability and corporate image.

Pros

Work from home flexibility for most jobs

Cons

Interested in key account customers primarily and pushing off smaller customers to distributors, bring in and test administrative staff for drug testing but not management .

Clean working environment.

Management is dishonest right to the top. You need to be a yes man or women to work here. Most operators here can't wait to find a different job. I would be embarrassed to be local management. I'm not sure what the customer would do if they learned of shortcuts and other potentially dangerous problems?

Pros

Pay and benefits are fair to above average for work performed.

Cons

So dishonest.

you work independently which is nice.

Supervision does not care about anything but the bottom line. They never check on you to see how things are going through the shift. The training is very disappointing. When you ask something you are told go look it up and find it out yourself.

Pros

lot of things to learn and acquire new skills

Cons

hours

Evonik Saratoga is terrible

Disorganized, terribly managed and general incompetence are a few key words that I would use to describe Evonik's Saratoga site. Management is overbearing with little to no knowledge of day to day basics, the plant is laid out in a very backwards design with bandaid fixes for potentially dangerous oversights and out of the 16 people on site, 4 have recently left leaving glaring holes in responsibilities that were often taken for granted by upper managment. The pay is good, the schedule is terrible, and the work life balance is nonexistent.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Good place to work.

They have levels to where you can start out at the bottom and work your way to the top, but you still get good pay. The ppl are nice and the plant is new and clean.

Pros

Good pay, good ppl, good benefits

Cons

If you don’t like DuPont Schedule.

Excellent World-Class Company

Evonik is an international firm employing highly-talented people and world-class resources. I enjoyed my many years here, with ever increasing responsibility.

Pros

Highly Technical

Cons

World-wide assets are often continents and oceans apart.

good benefits and pay

The employees work great as a team looking out for each others safety and well being. Good safety culture. They help with work life balance and offer great benefits.

December 6, 2021

Decent place

I’ve only been there a little while but overall so far it is a decent place. Hardly any overtime until your 100% trained then you can get some. Management is great and goes out of their way to help you succeed. Cafe on site. Uniforms provided so no work clothes needed. They purchase eyewear and give a boot allowance. Very strict on policy and procedure. Extreme COVID protocols.

Pros

Appreciation lunches, Pto, work 6months out of the year, 401 benefit, flexibility

Cons

Can be cliquey, some outdated equipment, large amount of training

Produktiver Arbeitsort und Familier

Sehr Familienleben und kompetent. Traum Arbeitsplatz für jedem zu empfehlen

Pros

Bestes Essen

Cons

Keine

Below any expectations

Selfish management with questionable abilities to make right decisions. No personal grow within the company for the most hardworking employees. Despotism. Salaries are not compatible to the cost of living in the area. Annual salary increases are less than the inflation rate for the most. Annual bonus is a joke. Vacation days are joke (before Evonik took over Transferra Nanosciences employees could get 5 additional days to vacation after 5 years of the employment, it was changed to 10). It used to be a good Canadian company, now it become bad American. Spirit of the company is dead. Dozens of good, smart employees left the company in the last couple of years because they did not see for themselves any bright future within it. Top management has no clear vision of how to run this company to success. Wrong people in charge of making key decisions. The fish rots from the head.

Pros

Cons

Toxic working environment

November 18, 2021
Hello, it is disappointing to hear about the negative experience you had at Evonik. Our goal is to be an employer that everyone is proud to work for. We continue to provide career advancement opportunities, monitor the market conditions for wages and benefits, and work towards improving as an employer. Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to provide more information about your personal experience at Evonik, please contact employerbranding@evonik.com.

Poor management at director level and above

There is not an effective process by which leadership at the director level and above is groomed and therefore there is wide variability in the quality leadership. Some site managers are unqualified and are actually the source of the toxic culture.

November 18, 2021
Hello, thank you for providing insight into your experience at Evonik, and we apologize that it was not positive. We would like to note that Evonik does not have a site or business office in the Chicago, IL, area. Promotions and managerial positions are based on performance standards, and we provide professional development to all our employees through a combination of on-the-job training and digital learning. If you would like to provide further details about your personal experience at Evonik, please contact employerbranding@evonik.com.

Inclusive and global culture

Work was defined and customer oriented. Good teams and work colleagues. Project work was interesting. Opportunity to meet other regional colleagues and global teams. Good program for training research employees.

Pros

Benefits, global culture

Cons

Salary, advancement

A great place to work for career advancement!

Evonik is a fantastic place to work for career development and job advancement. Lots of trust and responsibility is given to employees early on in their career allowing them to gain well-rounded experience.

Sehr gut

Gute Arbeitsatmosphäre, super freundliche Kollegen, Vertriebsleiterin einfach fantastisch.

Hit-or-miss environment; work experience worth sticking it out

The nature of the industry makes any role you might take with Evonik likely to be a high-stress one. Management isn't always understanding, as many managers have their own plates full, and this can be complicated by managers being several US states away, or even in another country. The bureaucratic requirements within the company can also make tasks needlessly difficult. However, the company offers many wonderful learning opportunities, and great benefits besides. I was proud and eager to be building my career there until the pandemic finally made it untenable for me to continue. Working at Evonik will quickly offer you opportunities to learn myriad new skills if you are willing to seek them out and prove yourself. I have left the company a more well-rounded person.

Good company with great benefits

I can say that I am having a good job experience. My manager and supervisor are very helpful. The company has great benefits and they are flexible. It's a lot of work but manageable.

It is a very click oriented work place.

Favoritism for specific people by management. Management could care less about life situations. Judgmental people with the few who are good people. Long time employees have attitudes but get special treatment. The work it's self isn't bad. The 12 hour shifts are rough. Depending on whether or not you click with the operators will decide your fait in the company. As management is never around to see performance, or lack there of.

Pros

They pay good.

Cons

Read my review.

August 22, 2021
Hello. As of August 1st, 2019, the Sanford, ME site is no longer operating under Evonik Industries. However, treating employees fairly and with respect is important to our work environment, and it is disappointing to hear that you did not experience this. We appreciate the knowledge and experience of our former employees, and through feedback such as yours, we hope to constantly improve the work environment. We wish you all the best.

“Over Selling, Under Delivering” The Evonik Motto

This used to be a small start-up when Evonik decided to take it over. In the beginning, it was a fun place to work but as soon as more Evonik policies came into place, it swung in the opposite direction. Confusing and inefficient procedures were put in place that added unnecessary work for employees and trying to make suggestions to streamline these policies to improve efficiencies were always shot down. Evonik management then started implementing more policies that turned the work environment from being one of team collaboration into a micro managed "everyone for themselves" culture. Evonik QA became not a Quality Assurance department, but into an HR department that keeps track and punishes anyone and everyone whenever something goes awry. This led to a hyper toxic and "blame culture" work environment of which so many colleagues say their mental health has suffered due to this anxiety.Because of this, the turnover rate here is exceedingly high, and the highest of any company I've ever worked for. So many people leave here, these positions aren't being refilled, and this adds massive amount of work to pile on the people still left. The work-life balance became that even once you get home, you are still expected to work remotely late into the night with no overtime paid.I always tell people: if you are happy where you are, don't bother applying here. With the high turnover, Evonik's reputation has become so heavily tarnished in the local science community which will make working here much much worse with fewer and fewer people applying.

Pros

Good safety culture, decent benefits

Cons

Constant blame culture, toxic work environment, all work-no life balance

June 29, 2021
Hello dear colleague, We are sorry that your experience with Evonik was negative. It should be noted that our records indicate that the turnover rate has actually declined since Evonik acquired the prior business. Evonik operates off of four values: performance, speed, openness, and trust. It is disappointing to hear that you felt these values were not lived out to their fullest potential. As a workplace, we believe in fostering collaboration and respect regardless of role and department. Mental health is taken very seriously, and Employee Assistance Groups are available to all of our employees when they need additional support.Thank you for sharing your feedback so we know where to improve, and we wish you the best.

Good place to learn and develop your skills.

Evonik is very employee focused. Learning and development activities are a focus in the company. Work life balance is decent. It’s a manufacturing company so there are times you’re expected to be at work outside of your normal hours, which is understandable. Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you make sure you add value and you act professional.

Pros

Friendly work environment.

Cons

A little too much oversight in normal business processes for my taste.

"Over Selling, Under Delivering" The Evonik Motto

This used to be a small start-up when Evonik decided to take it over. In the beginning, it was a fun place to work but as soon as more Evonik policies came into place, it swung in the opposite direction. Confusing and inefficient policies were put in place that added unnecessary work for employees and trying to make suggestions to streamline these policies to improve efficiencies were always shot down. Evonik management started implementing policies that turned the work environment from being one of team collaboration into a micro managed "everyone for themselves" culture. Evonik QA became not a Quality Assurance department, but into an HR department that keeps track and punishes anyone and everyone whenever something goes awry. This led to a hyper toxic and "blame culture" work environment of which so many colleagues say their mental health has suffered due to this QA anxiety.Because of this, the turnover rate here is exceedingly high and highest of any company I've ever worked for. So many people leave here, these positions aren't being refilled, and this adds massive amount of work to pile on the people still left. The work-life balance became that even once you get home, you are still expected to work remotely late into the night with no overtime paid.I always tell people: if you are happy where you are, don't bother applying here. With the high turnover, Evonik's reputation has become so heavily tarnished in the local science community which will make the work here much much worse.

Pros

Good safety culture, decent benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment, high turnover, all work-no life balance

Productive and really great people to work with

I worked here for almost 10 years and I really Loved my job, the co-workers, my Supervisor and the work that we accomplished together with our team! My Supervisor retired and I was taken off my project and put into a different position. I liked that job as well. I became ill and had to leave. I am still friends with some folks that currently work there and the folks who retired. I would highly recommend working at Evonik Oil Additives. A very intelligent and fun group of people!

Pros

Great people and always something new to learn! Great benefits! !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evonik. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight