Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Overall is good.
Data Scientist IV (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 20, 2018
Overall is good, but the R&DA team CEO does not have a vision for New Analytic solutions.

The training support is good, but strong politics is key factor for leadership decisions.
Pros
Team player members
Cons
Analytics Leadership missing the required vision.
Wonderful Staff
Membership and Billing (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJuly 17, 2018
Very much enjoyed this job, wish I was able to stay. Great customer services. Managment staff very caring and understandable. Wish this was not a temp job
Poor orientation for new hires.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  East Rochester, NYJuly 15, 2018
I worked here on contract. I received no formal orientation to the position. I was only given reading materials and basically had to figure this job flow out on my own. I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Flexible hours at times
Cons
Poor management and orientation
ok place to work
Advocacy Associate II (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 14, 2018
entry level opportunity. promotions are not based upon merit, but who you know. opportunities are limited for the average worker and benefits have been reduced since I left
Productive fun place to work
Specialty Claims Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 13, 2018
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield was a great place to work. There was a great management base and always made sure the staff enjoyed their work day. We had many amenities such as a great work out room, wonderful cafeteria and many wellness and educational fairs throughout the year. The management always made sure the staff was well taken care of and enjoyed their job at the corporate level as well as the departmental level. I enjoyed working there every day. It was very fast paced which I enjoyed. We had various projects that I participated in to better process flows and claims processing. I enjoyed all of the meetings I was a part of to better the workflows and organization. We had various staff and corporate meetings to make us aware of the environment. I would recommend Excellus to anyone in Syracuse as they are truly a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly management, great workout room and great cafeteria, lunchroom and break rooms
Cons
parking
Nice place to work
Quality Management Team Lead/ MLTC REP (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 10, 2018
Excellent pay and benefits the people help you achieve your goals and very friendly and casual it's. Every accommodation for your needs is met and its an enjoyable place to be
Pros
Pay
Cons
Expensive health care
Fairly routine
Data Scientist IV (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 8, 2018
The day usually starts out with a recap of statuses on projects and then we are working on our own to complete the projects assigned to us.

Teamwork is definitely promoted therefore collaboration is key
Pros
flexible working hours/situations
Cons
Ridged with pressure to stay on the phones
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJune 29, 2018
BlueCross Blue Shield was a great place to work. When on the Member line, people would call up and inquire about their coverage and claim denials.
When on the Group Benefit/Broker line, be prepared to take some abuse. Brokers were unprofessional.
Day at Excellus
Marketing Operations Audit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 26, 2018
There is much to learn at Excellus. The work place culture is very friendly and accepting. I enjoy working at Excellus very much! The building is very secure with security monitoring the building 24/7. There is also a badge system put into place which makes me feel safer! The management and staff are all wonderful here! Smile with a lot of positive attitudes! :)
Pros
Free Parking/ Do not have to clock in/ clock out! Each floor has a kitchen and restrooms
Cons
The temperature is always extremely HOT(summer) & COLD(Winter)! lol
The job was challenging but the benefits were great.
Account Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 19, 2018
Excellus was a good place to work. However, the ever changing industry can make the job challenging and ever changing. There are days when you come in and everything is different as far as the rules and the rates,
Pros
great incentives
Cons
the industry changes on a dime
fun workplace
Behavioral Health Operations and Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 29, 2018
Excellus has went through vast improvements over the last I would say 5 years and is a great place to work, it is a fun atmosphere with most employees smiling and greeting each other throughout the day. The hardest part of being in middle management is always feeling as though I am an advocate for my team and not being able to get them what they need when others won't help advocate and then you see others getting what you are asking for. (when I was told - it's not possible-). Collaboration, as long as you are comfortable reaching out, is top notch within the organization and everyone is typically always wiling to do what is best for our members/providers. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing we are making a difference for the community in a positive manner.
Pros
friendly, team players, ping pong, collaboration, smiles and fun attitudes by most
Cons
old leaders have a difficult time changing
Racist
Analysis and Recovery Medical Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 27, 2018
Fired two blacks and allowed whites to get away with anything. Supervisors where intimidatated. Not a culturally diverse place. They retract $96 million back from providers annually and it is not always right. They don't want you to ask too many questions just do what they tell you to do.

They don't train you they expect you to "get it on the fly" but the lack of actual training gives them oppurtunity yo do it their way any not necessarily the correcty way. Or a consistent way.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Lack of training.
great place to work
Insurance Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 17, 2018
Great place to work. Amazing compesnation package. Growth opportunity and advancement for those who were interested. We had a patients first philosophy which I loved.
Benefits
Cons
npne
Doucument Services - Print Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 11, 2018
Great place to work, but depending on what department your are in there's very little to no chance on moving up in the company. There wasn't anything wrong with management and the work is what made the time pass by.
Productive and fun place with a ping pong table
Finance Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 3, 2018
I was a summer intern and I enjoyed my time here. I was given a few projects but also the freedom to work on them at my own pace, which helped me to learn how to pace myself.
Good Company, tough to get in the door
OE Membership & Billing Processor (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 27, 2018
Good place to work. Unfortunately, if you get a temp job, don't count on it turning permanent, at least not in Utica.
I really enjoyed the work and the people.
Pros
Nice people, good pay
Cons
Growth in the Utica facility is slow, Syracuse & Rochester are where the jobs are.
Much improved workplace culture
Project Manager III, Risk Adjustment Programs (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 24, 2018
The workplace culture is now very positive at Excellus. Senior Management has put a real focus on improving the workplace culture through various training initiatives and encouragement to focused on operating to the core values of the Lifetime Way.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Need to pay for parking if work downtown Rochester
Solid overall place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 14, 2018
A great place to work. Management was excellent. Lots of good training and opportunities to advance within the company. Employees were made to feel valued and respected.
They have specialized health and wellness programs to help you along in life.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
At Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, they know that the relationship between patient and doctor is vital. So they have health plans that take your care to the next level, that takes the time to really help you, and that works with the patient as partners towards better health services.
Desktop Engineer / Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 24, 2018
My typical day at work entailed maintaining an accurate Inventory of installed and in stock assets, imaging, configuring, and preparing computers while handling break/fix calls from end users. I learned how to work with various people with diverse degrees of technical knowledge. My management was hands off as long as the work was getting done on time or ahead of schedule. I enjoyed the culture in the workplace and the variety of people I was exposed too.
Pros
Ability to have control of planning my days