Excelsior College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Clinical Examiner
Clinical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 21, 2018
Program was decent but the leadership from Excelsior College was not the best. Often unorganized when changes in testing occurred, seemed to favor the Clinical Associate in majority of situations. They were not very responsive to my needs when I would have them via email.
Pros
pay
Cons
strange work hours, not responsive, unorganized
Interesting place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 15, 2018
Excelsior has good values and a strong mission. Struggling to find focus. Does not seem to value dissenting opinions. Great environment for "yes" people.
Was a fabulous place to work
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 4, 2018
Really enjoyed the first few years there, but upper management changed, which changed the culture of the work environment. We became top heavy in management. I am sorry to have been laid off.
Ineffective leadership
Digital Media/SEO Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 26, 2018
Ineffective leadership, unclear process,
Culture is good with collaboration and diversity
Not very secure for jobs
People are friendly.
UIntransparent information.
Great people and great goals
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 16, 2018
The work place is specifically designed to be a collaborative one. The employees/bosses are friendly, the food cafeteria that is provided is great, and seminars are often held to raise give an open floor to people of minorities.
Pros
Great food
adjunct professor
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 6, 2018
I am adjunct professor in the school of health sciences and nursing Challenging work dealing with students from around the world. Work required a good grasp of nursing, healthcare management and informatics.
Satisfied Nursing Student
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Excelsior provides great opportunities for non-traditional students to achieve their nursing education. If a student works full-time with a family, it's a great choice.
Great place to work.
Online Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 17, 2018
A typical day was between 3-4 hours, answering emails or grading assignments.
Received support from the staff.
Learned how to use Blackboard.
Each student learns at their own pace; and if needed were given extra time for assignments.
Pros
Working at my own pace.
Cons
Micromanagement
Poor comunication
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 27, 2018
Working online whenever to meet the set amount of interaction. School fails to deliver what they seek. No support or assistance. No respect for adjuncts from school staff. The best part was the students.
Pros
Meeting students.
Cons
No benifits and lousy pay.
Good place
Adjunct faculty (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 11, 2017
It is a good place to work with wonderful people. The students are wonderful and I love having the connection to them and trying to guide them and learn from their experiences in relation to the material covered.
Great Mission, Terrible Leadership
Office of International Development (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 6, 2017
The college has a great mission and does great things for students, but there is new leadership that just cannot seem to get it together. The college is constantly laying people off or losing people.
Not some where I would recommend that anyone work right now. New leadership is needed first.
I taught online
Online Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 18, 2017
The company provided the materials to instruct students with the tools needed to be successful.

The hardest part was not being able to add specific information to the curriculum.
Good pay, not always consistent course loads
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  onlineNovember 10, 2017
Excelsior has great pay for adjunct faculty per course. They have a set pay scale that goes up as you continue to teach for them - you get a raise for each set of 8 courses that you teach. That's a great benefit and rare for online teaching positions.
You'll go through periods where you will get a course each term, and then you'll hit a dry spell.
The students, for the most part (there are always exceptions), are respectful and motivated. Most are working professionals and/or military.
Pros
Pay
Cons
sometimes inconsistent scheduling
You will not be happy here or make enough $$
none of your business (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 12, 2017
This is not a place for advancement and you will be lied to by management and see people who hold positions that do not actually work. Also, you will see others who get promoted that do not meet the experience for what the job title calls for. Managers are constantly in meetings, and it does not seem they are doing anything or contributing to making the workplace better. There are many unfair benefits from the older employment to the new employment with PTO and other benefits that got cut over the past year. There have been no real raises in over a few years. Excelsior went through a huge reorganization a year ago and over 100 people were let go. This place is not secure!
Pros
Cons
everything
Lots of Change
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 18, 2017
Overall, a solid organization. Lots of change, and likely heading in the right direction, finally. However, sometimes the pace of change, and players at (or not at) the table make decisions that frustrate the organizations actual goals.
Ever Upward
Senior Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 3, 2017
From our mission statement: Excelsior College provides educational opportunity to adult learners with an emphasis on those historically underrepresented in higher education.
It is easy to get behind the mission of this institution. The mission is fulfilled by some of the hardest working individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working beside and knowing. We make efforts to assist our students in reaching their goals, the attainment of an Associate, Baccalaureate, or Masters degree.
Unique higher education experience at the time.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2017
When I went to work for Excelsior College on-line higher education was still new and having worked previously in a traditional university, it was a new experience. This was a new way for adults to continue their education while balancing their lives. I was able to institute a new process that helped our military in their educational pursuits and gave me knowledge and confidence that I brought to subsequent positions.
Pros
Higher education that fits your life
Cons
Not for profit salaries
Online instructing
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 11, 2017
Great courses for students.
Course rubrics require some tweeking yet, from an instructor standpoint.
Great ideas, good courses. Great opportunity. More in-depth reviews would be beneficial.
Pros
Online
Cons
Online
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics & Natural Science (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 10, 2017
The best online school I have ever worked for - and I have worked at many schools! They pay well and respect your work and experience. A great non-profit online college.
Excelsior College
Online Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 29, 2017
This was a great school I used to work for. I only taught one course for them for a couple years and I moved on to other schools that gave me more courses. It was a great place to work in the early days of my teaching experience.
Pros
Nice supervisor.
Cons
No diversity in courses--just always assigned one.