Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

Everyday Life At Job Corps
Home Builders Institute Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 19, 2018
My instructers were amazing they always took time to help out each student no matter how long or frustrated you got they would give you advice if needed they even helped me find a car so that once I left I would be able to get back and forth to work almost every staff member tried to help out the best way they could
Unrealistic and non-supportive climate
Career Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 20, 2018
This Job Corps site is unwilling to face off with the realities of the students' lives. These students come from poverty and trauma. Simply getting trained to do a job is not enough for success. Trauma informed counseling is necessary and not available, nor is there any interest in offering outside help because it "stirs up the students too much" and we can not deal with the aftermath. Sad. A wonderful concept that refuses to look at the bigger picture.
Decent place to get your foot in the door with a trade.
Carpentry Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 26, 2018
I worked hard and experienced everything they provide in trade. The hardest part of my job, is the fact that you work with unprofessional people that don't know how to behave. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning the experience that they provide to us.
Pros
Free room and board
Disrespectful Management
Wellness Staff (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 25, 2018
They live by a old school approach to management. Everyone wants to be in charge of nothing. Pass the work load to the little man so that the senior staff and have time to socialize.
If you want to work hard and get treated poorly...this is the place for you
Fun and relaxing and also very involved in work and social life
Welding Student/Center Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOFebruary 5, 2018
Job corp was very down to the rules no slacking around. The staff was very invovled with workers lives.but most of all all the workers work helped anyone and everyone.
Don't waste your time!!!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MODecember 21, 2017
They have no clue how to run a security program. The turn over rate for security people is extremely high that probably means there's a problem! The people they can keep seem to have limited or no security background. Management there is lacking any sense of how a good campus security team should work. Find another security job you will defiantly regret this one!!
Pros
Insurance starts on the first day.
Cons
To long to list.
Great place
Cement Mason Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MONovember 22, 2017
I am considered a student/employee here at Job Corps because not only are we obtaining a trade we are using that trade and getting hands on experience.
Pros
trade and education
technical school
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 17, 2017
it was crazy at first when i went there because i thought it would be so much worse than it actually was. I mean not everyone that's up there is the best person but its one of the best learning experiences ever.
Pros
meeting new people, travelling, free college
Cons
location and lack of public transit
school
Medical Student/Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOOctober 8, 2017
I didn't work here. It is like a schooling place to help further your education. I started in Feb of 2016 and finished Feb of 2017 and left with 5 certifications.
Typical Workplace
Medical Student/Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOSeptember 11, 2017
As long as you keep your head on straight and do your work you'll get through your trade without a problem and find a good job. Depending the trade it only takes a couple months.

Want to know more about Excelsior Springs Job Corps Center?

Ask a question
barely get any help
Cement Mason Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOAugust 1, 2017
I mean it would be a good place if you got the help you needed but you barely get any help. this program is basically just do it on your own without no prior knowledge or don't do it at all and get kicked out.
Should be closed-insane place to work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJuly 11, 2017
Girls are sexually assaulted and they brush it under the rug. I tried to help and hands were tied. Racist towards white employees. Back stabbing environment. No advancement opportunity. No police allowed on campus as they want no negative publicity.
Students are treated like inmates. All about Federal funding! Not a team environment. The management over dorms are a buddy system from St.Louis they cover each others back.

Unreal environment.
Pros
the students
Cons
too many to list
Worst place to work as a true employee.
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 22, 2017
Reform school. Most of the comments here are from students who attend the school. The kids think they are employee's. Program for inner city kids....
Pros
Great for older employees who can't function in a fast pace environment, The school is similar to what you might have seen in the public schools in the 1960's.
Cons
Buildings are in disrepair, you will be exposed to asbestos, cafeteria food is terrible, no extra curricular activities for students-unless you like Wal-Mart, no money invested into the program by the owner, etc
Opportunity for career advancement is great. It's otherwise lacking.
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJune 22, 2017
wake up at 6am, dress, go to breakfast, clean dorm room, attend role call at 7:30am be at work by 8:00am practice running beads until break at 9:35am, return by 9:45am continue running beads. Clean up at 11:45am, go to lunch at 12:15pm return by 1:00pm run beads until 1:45pm break, return by 1:55pm run beads until 3:00pm then clean up leave at 3:30pm. role call at 3:40pm go to dinner at 4:45pm, role call at 6:00pm then 9:20pm be in bed by 10:30pm rinse, and repeat.

I have learned how to be more tolerant of difficult work conditions and how to act in the work place.

Management for the most part does genuinely care about the well being of the student employees. Communication seems to be their biggest flaw. Their approach to handling the students is sloppy and/or ham fisted at best.

Many of the student/employees at center are emotionally directed and don't appreciate the opportunity that is being given to them. They tend to be loud and disrespectful to the staff and to each other.

The hardest part is definitely having to work with my fellow student employees. Getting up ever morning and going to work early just to have others upset the instructors and causing the whole group to suffer the consequences. Then ending the day just to go dorm and deal with them there too; doing to same thing with the same outcome, day in and day out.

Being able to have the peace of mind that every morning I wake up that I will improve myself a little bit every day.
Pros
Free food, room and board with the opportunity to learn a trade or two.
Cons
Because of the age range many of the coworkers can be immature.
Pretty cool
Medical Student/Employee (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 31, 2017
If you live on dorm it could be pretty stressful. This place is full of opportunity and everything's free! Good food, nice beds. A lot of rules but easy to follow.
Pros
free lunch, free place to live, free clothes, free education.
Cons
Students can be stressful if you live on dorm
i would recommend this program
Medical Student/Employee (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 17, 2017
i would recommend this company only because it helps us to become better people and helps us with leadership skills and job skills. it may be a little strict but in the long run it helps u out a lot.
Student
CMA Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 15, 2017
Its a really good program for students who want to change their lives around and better themselves and its all for free which is great for people who don't want to spend money for college
Great program!
Carpenter/maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOMay 10, 2017
Excelsior Springs Job Core Center is one of the most helpful Vocational trade schools I have ever attended. It is great for finding a job and getting your education.
Pros
100% free and you get paid to come!!!
Cons
You have to live on center sometimes and that can be a problem
Educational
Nursing Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOApril 28, 2017
I enjoyed the staff and students and would recommend it for anyone. Free education and trade and very helpful people. It has been a great learning experience.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
N/a
Excelsior Springs Job Corps is a great place.
Carpentry Student (Current Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOApril 18, 2017
The Excelsior Springs Job Corps is a great program to learn an start a career. We learn many different things about the trade that you choose. I've chose carpentry an I've learned a lot an got many certifications that would be essential to a job site.