Exceptional Persons, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Must have personal boundaries, rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 16, 2018
I am a graduate student in social work and worked with EPI when I was an undergrad student. I left to start school but I think I was mentally on my way out anyways. It is a good company and, looking back, a good job. This is the only company I have worked for that seemed to recognize the work their employees put in and actually cared. I got a birthday card on my birthday and occasionally other goodies in my mailbox. My supervisor was great and was very helpful in assisting with compartmentalizing everything. She was also good in helping me recognize my own boundaries to set with clients.

The downside is that, because I was hourly, I was taking work home with me a lot. I often worked in the evenings and would take classes during the day. The computer lab at the office is only open until 5 so I would have to do my notes at home on my personal computer quite a bit. I think this was different from the group-home staff who would have to do their notes before leaving work each day. The company does pay for mileage so I often got reimbursed for that, but the mileage sheets can be confusing. Another downside for me was that I had to give out my personal number to my clients since I was the one they would communicate with for daily shifts. If they needed to cancel, or vice versa, we had to be able to reach each other. This was fine at first but I ran into issues of clients not understanding when it was appropriate to call and when it wasn't. I would get a call in the middle of the night to cancel an 8 a.m. shift.

My clients were all great people, but also not the cleanest. The
  more... houses I went into were more often than not a mess. A few clients had bugs and/or smoked in their homes. I wasn't given a clear guideline on how to approach clients that smoke in their homes. This was a huge offset for me given that I have asthma and was part of the reason I left since it seemed like a lot of the adult clients I was working with smoked. The pay was good but it just got to the point where it wasn't worth it for me anymore.  less
Pros
sign-up bonus, little gifts here and there, good benefits for full-time staff
Cons
taking work home, average pay
EPI cares about their clients
COMMUNITY LIVING COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 20, 2018
EPI cares about their clients and treats their clients with respect. I worked in a RCF with a team of people. I administered medications, transported clients in the community, assisted with getting clients to their providers, and documented. It was challenging but I learned a lot about mental health.
Pros
great mission
Cons
pay, using own vehicle for transportation, mileage reimbursement
Awful place to work with a complete lack of care for employees
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 17, 2018
Pay is entirely insufficient for the work expected, and DSPs are often expected to work 80+ hours per week. The work conditions are really bad, and communication in the company is downright awful.

Would not recommend to even my worst enemy.
Rewarding but not recommended
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 21, 2017
The person served were wonderful. I learned so much about different backgrounds and abilities. The DSPs cared more about them then the managers. When DSPs ask management questions they either ignored it or told DSPs to figure it out. Management had favorites and allowed their favorites to get away with everything including using person' served money or things. They also allowed some DSPs to be at the homes when they should never had been there.
Pros
Person-Served
Cons
Staff and management
Great company with a great mission!!
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 27, 2017
EPI is a Very fun company to work for. They truly care about their employees and offer great benefits! Overall great company with a great mission and values!
Management poor
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 19, 2017
This company needs a union management is poor they treat their employees like you don’t matter, they don’t give out raises, no holiday pay, high insurance. You have to be on call beeper 4 times a year and they work you 32 hours straight they call sleep a break. Management will call u in on your day off, vacation and under doctor order just to do revisions
Pros
Clients
Cons
Exceptional Person
high turn over rate, partially due to hiring students
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 15, 2017
Job was good. They tried hard to work around my class hours as I was a working student. Always hours to pic up, though often hard to find someone to cover your shift as PTO is not a thing for a direct support person. The type of job where managers expected to to show up unless you were dying or asked time off 2+ months ahead.
Enjoyed working there
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed the challenge of working with the individuals. I liked that everyday was a different challenge. I liked that management communicated with the staff.
Pros
Challenging job
Cons
Long weekend shifts
Meant for certain type of person and challenging
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 4, 2017
Overall good place for pay, you don't have managers over your shoulders all of the time, but that means you are working with clients independently likely without coworkers, to deal with adults with mental health or brain injuries. Many of them make the job worth it but it takes a toll on your own mental health. The managers will ask a lot of you. You will be asked to work 12 hour shifts often, and have to sleep at houses you have never been to on on call shifts.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Disorganized management
summer volunteer
Assist staff (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 17, 2017
I volunteered here one summer and it was very enjoyable. EPI gives people the opportunity to work with physical and intellectual disabled population during their summer program.
Very productive place to work.
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 30, 2017
I loved working with individuals. The company itself afforded opurtunities to advance within the company fairly easily if you chose to do so. Management was easy to talk to and most listened when issues,arose.
Pros
Various work hours.
I hate my job but also hate to leave.
DSP 2 (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IA 50701June 29, 2017
I love caring for the people we serve but the pay is barely enough to live on. I would stay but for the amount of responsibility that we have we are not compensated fairly. The only people I know working here that make a decent wage work at least 65 hours a week. Supervisors also do not respect your time off and expect that you be available frequently to be on call from Friday until Monday and sometimes work back to back shifts the whole weekend. It is almost impossible to take time off and even though they offer vacation as a benefit it is almost impossible to use as they expect at least 30 days notice and you are required to find coverage yourself which is impossible because everyone who works here already works full time or more.
Rewarding work, management, communication and support lacking
Representative Payee - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 21, 2017
Rewarding work with people with disabilities and watching them grow. Suggestions on how to make things better are ignored. Tension and negative atmosphere.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Management/communication
Amazing Person's served, poor management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 7, 2017
Amazing Person's served. Fulfilling job in this sense, but management use bullying tactics to get results. I enjoyed helping out the people whom I was assigned to and felt that I grew as an individual but it was difficult balancing management's desires for paperwork with client real needs.
Pros
Medical Benefits; Lots of overtime
Cons
Awesome place to work for
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 20, 2017
It was very fun and down to earth place to work for. They work with everyones schedule very well and all the staff get along great. THe persons served are great to work with also.
Great Work Experience, High Turnover
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 20, 2017
Received great working experience with brain injured and mentally ill clients.
High turnover rate every year which causes inconsistent team-building for sites.
Pros
Clients, Flexibility, Experience
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, High Turnover
Not a great work place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 17, 2017
I started working at EPI last year and everything was going well. Then in November, my supervisor stopped telling me things. I was waiting for another person to take my shift one night and that person didn't show up until two hours after I was expecting that person and during the wait, I contacted my supervisor on why this person was late. She only responded once. EPI is not a good place to work because the supervisors don't respond often to you and despite what they say in orientation, they go against what they say they won't do.
Na
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 1, 2017
A typical work day, what you have learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job, why I enjoying working here.
Dsp
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 26, 2017
Great place to work. Great clientele. I learned a lot and I liked helping people. It gave you a lot of options and you were able to move up in the company if you wanted.
Very rewarding job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 24, 2016
the most enjoyable part about this job was seeing how you helped the people you cared for. Seeing them excited that they finished something.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exceptional Persons, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight