Exelon Employee Reviews

Geared towards safety
Nuclear Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Marseilles, ILOctober 18, 2018
Safety is main priority, and no time pressure on most jobs, More than enough help for most jobs and did not feel overwhelmed. Management could use some improving.
Not a good place for acquired companies
Sr. Analyst IT (Former Employee) –  DelawareOctober 15, 2018
Beware of this company! They do not want people that can solve issues without contacting the vendor for the solution. Simple issues... Call the vendor... That is the mentality of this company. If you are an acquired employee, and not given a full time position, do not expect to find a position in this company.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company
Quick and Efficient
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202October 8, 2018
Working in the department I worked in the work was simple quick and efficient. Manager was more gloom and doom and didn't make it comfortable at times but the team still worked and did the job
Pros
Flexible hours, overtime, good environment with other employees
Cons
Not much room for advancement, boss wasnt exactly positive
It was only there for 6 months
Application Architect (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2018
I left a very stable federal contract contract position, renewed 3 times to advance my career as an Application Architect Excelon but never performed that duty. I was just another Sr. Programmer developing mostly APIs

My Experience:
We created a particular RESTapi to wrap the current WCF code as a first step for moving the platform into the future. We was told this was to be the standard henceforth. I was assigned a project that was perfect for it. I used it and had the project ready for review in 2 weeks. Come review time, the team lead whose brain child the RESTapi was, told me I should not have done that. He then forced me to rewrite it. The code was functioning perfectly, no issues and adhered to all company standards.

After another 2 days, that code was also wrong because it provided too much information to the 3rd party community so I adjusted the data to be revealed via interface and was told that was wrong.

So, the team lead, decided to show me how it was done and said he could do it in two hours. Three hours later it was still not done and I was told to finish what he started... that was late on a Friday afternoon. The project ended up taking another month.

A month after that when my contract was up, it was not extended as expected. The team lead, also a contractor was hired as a permanent team lead for Exelon, and I was given another two weeks to finish up and document my projects. I was unemployed for another 6 weeks.
Pros
strict development environment, using latest technologies and processes
Cons
Very poor leadership. Misleading hiring practices. very political, highly clique environment. If you don't fit in with a clique you won't be there long
work at exelon
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2018
Nice place to work, flexible hours. Had to learn organization in order to determine who was on project team. Enjoyed the travel and learning other areas of the company.
Challenging and Unique Place to Work
Corporate Senior Engineer - Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILSeptember 29, 2018
The diversified nature of the work that Exelon performs as company offers many opportunities to practice continued learning throughout your career. The job is very time demanding due to the 24/7 nature of the the Electrical Power Generation industry. Exelon is an industry leader and offers many opportunities for industry peer group leadership opportunities as a result.
Excellent pay and room for advancement
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILSeptember 19, 2018
It was a challenging position with excellent pay. It was a twelve hour shift with every other weekend off. Management staff was professional and training was consistent and applicable to the position. There wasn't much travel maybe twice a year for training.
Great Place to work with opportunities for advancement
Executive Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PASeptember 17, 2018
Exelon is a great company to work for. Every day there is something new and exciting happening. They are very focused on Diversity and Inclusion. They also take great pride in giving back to the community in many ways.
Pros
Great company, great benefits.
Management is Inadequate
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2018
Exelon promotes people to positions which they are not qualified for -- rather the promotion is based on how many years that person has worked at Exelon. This creates a terrible work culture
Pros
Cons
Management is unprofessional and unskilled
Very efficient engineering and quality driven. Along with safety.
Lead Civil Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 12, 2018
Quality and schedual driven company. Great pay and great peole.
The only problem is that the Green Energy plants are a thing of the past. As they have stopped building them.
Very Political Not a Good Place to Work
Sr. HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2018
I would not recommend working here. The cultural has drastically changed and it is not one HR. You can be a valued partner and work hard but not be rewarded only supported if you have an executive that vouches for you.
Highly structured
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Exelon offers limited creative freedom in the workplace. Due to heavy federal regulation, jobs are highly structured around procedures and policies. While job security is very high, work/life satisfaction is lacking.
Generation oppertunities are very few now and in the future
Site Engineer Eddystone Generating Station (Current Employee) –  Eddystone, PASeptember 9, 2018
Several facilities will be closing in December and oppertunities for advancement are limited. Salary and benefits are very good. There are better jobs on the PECO side but its very stressful environment.
Overview of Benefits
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2018
Very decent company to work at. Good perks and benefits. Can be long hours during storms and outages -- a lot of overtime hours. Good management team.
Pros
good retirement benefits and insurance
Cons
Long hours required during storms.
Busy
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PASeptember 4, 2018
Very stressful and time consuming. long Shifts Mandatory overtime on several occasions. Rotating schedule one month nights one month days. Very difficult for a family.
MBA Intern
MBA Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2018
Not an exciting working environment for interns.
They have very well designed structure for employees to follow.
The environment is very alike working for government.
Unpleasant Experience
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
Insecure coworkers made my job very difficult. I am glad I found work elsewhere. I think as with any organization your experience depends on the department you are in.
Good people, good location, occaisional stress from Mgmt.
Senior Analyst - IT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2018
Exelon's management culture exists in several "silos". Sometimes it is difficult to work with cross-functional teams for that reason. The role I most enjoyed was as technical lead for Exelon's mergers and acquisitions team, focusing (in my case) on Hyperion and PeopleSoft. I have heard other people describe Exelon as a "high-stress" environment, and I will say that the level of stress depends on what team you are on and who your manager is. I did experience a stressful team under a "driven" manager, but they do encourage managers to move from one team to another after a few years, and after that happened my team was a much better place to be. I would recommend Exelon as a good place to work.
Pros
Good work/life balance, great teammates to work with.
Cons
Tight windows to install or upgrade software, some managers ratchet up the stress.
Exelon
Sr. Perf. Improvement / Safety Professional (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAAugust 19, 2018
Great place to work, excellent opportunities to advance your career and get promoted. They offer excellent training opportunties, ability to participate in company sponsored events.
Pros
Work atmosphere, salary, benefits, 401k, bonus
Cons
Great people and benefits, but excessive time commitment
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Lusby, MDAugust 19, 2018
Not a bad place to work, but nuclear power is a very time-consuming field - many unscheduled days at work due to emergent issues. Also have a long commute - 90 minutes or more.
Pros
good benefits, job satisfaction
Cons
excessive commute, emergent work that requires excessive unplanned time at work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exelon. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight