Exeter Job Corps Academy Employee Reviews

The treatment of its employees is deplorable..
Instructor- (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIJune 14, 2019
Whenever a private company receives public funds a red flag should go up. It is number driven and treatment of the staff as well as the clients is deeply compromised. In addition, the company is run by Adams and Associates. They run the company as if they are still in the middle of the industrial age. Teachers are frequently fired and walked out with 1/2 hour notice.
Management stress
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIMay 12, 2019
I would recommend turning away from this job. Stressful and at times hazardous work conditions because there is absolutely no backup by supervisors who have no classroom experience.Totally numbers driven work with no quality education for disadvantaged youths. You are expected to get and maintain a quota of student completions . Company does not want you to be a social worker when in fact that is exactly what you are here. Expect dirty conditions, low pay for what you put up with, little if no support from management, and very high stress level.
Turn away from considering and find something else.
Pros
Cons
High stress, disgustingly dirty, poor management, high cost of benefits and poor quality of life
Positive work environment with full gym on site.
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIApril 11, 2019
Great place to work if you are a "Jack-of-all-trades".
I thoroughly enjoyed how easy it was to get along with other staff members, and the knowledge they had was great as well. I would highly encourage working with the Exeter Job Corp staff.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff/ Camaraderie
working in Job corps
Security (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 5, 2018
My time at Job Corps have been an education and training program. I was able to get my high school diploma, and learn a trade. I completed a pay work internship. I feel like my time here was beneficial and will help me move forward in my carrier.
Fantastic place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIOctober 22, 2018
It was a very quick internship I was working for experience in the field. The payment was good because the experiences you learn from were fantastic. I learned multiple types of security from fire prevention to just making sure people weren’t in the wrong areas after restricted times
Great program, current management too numbers driven
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIMay 3, 2018
It's a great job if you like working with the population of students but the program is VERY numbers driven at this particular location. Decisions are made off of what ranking the center is/ rather than the best decision for the student. The pay isn't great but pretty on par with RI standards.
Great job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIMay 15, 2017
The kitchen staff was very helpful whenever a new person started and the kitchen manager was someone you could go to if you ever needed help with anything. Even if it wasn't work related.
The only bad thing is they had to make the food they serve a certain way and the students would always blame them about the food. Even though its not the kitchen staffs fault. Plus whenever I was in the dishwasher the students would just throw their plates and cups and garbage through the open window.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Students would treat the staff badly
will follow up
Food Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIDecember 21, 2016
Will follow up my review in interveiw., Have cover letter created incase needed and will willingly describe experiances at interveiw or over the phone.
Amazing place to learn, work and live
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIAugust 3, 2016
I can't say enough about this center. while there, I was out of my room by 7:15, in class by 7:30, and never received any sort of reprimand beyond verbal. Co-workers were fun and energetic, or ones who it'd be best to avoid on any given day. Class/ work was fun, nearly no book work, and an open opportunity often appeared to help me hone my skills on a specific skillset. The boss was a fun-loving guy, a tiny ball of energy, and sometimes overeager to teach.
Pros
Free meals, bedding, fun staff
Cons
Poor pay, some sour apples.
It's a GREAT choice, for those who can handle pressure well.
Student (Current Employee) –  Exeter, RIAugust 17, 2015
It's a great place to go to for focusing on a certain career track, but you have to put your mind to it honestly.

A typical day at work is 8am - 3:30pm training day (your trade or high school classes) breaks are at 9:30am and 2pm. Lunch 11-12 & 12-1.

I learned cooking/baking skills from my trade (Culinary)

management is alright it could always get better, but it is up to my own self that management of any sort get done properly.

co-workers are my peers and we all get along well (sometimes) during training day hours

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep your cool and focus when there is so much to do with a lot of tasks and keep the pressure of stress down.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am in a field of work training that I like and that I have made friends that have my back and I am furthering my education and knowledge in a positive manner.
Pros
Teaching us responsibility, work ethics, and personal growth.
Cons
The treatment from staff.
Great program for students
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, RIMarch 18, 2015
Have great co-workers, good work schedule, great programs for the students, great for establishing relationships with the students, great programs for the staff.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
No major support from upper management
WBL Coordinator (Former Employee) –  exeter riMay 8, 2014
Arrived every day 30 minutes before my hour. Prepare all my desk and welcome the students at the begining of the training day.
I learned how to work and to help students between 16*24 years old.
the management is so poor and they do not give you as employee ant credit.
the hardest part of my job was to deal w/ no comunication.
the most enjoyable part was to be working for the kids and to try help them in everything they needed
Pros
to have the opportunity to make the difference in youth lives
Cons
directors not appreciate the employees work.
Good for an extended stay, not if you just need to get certified and then get out
Internship (Current Employee) –  Exeter, RIAugust 29, 2013
the benefits are pretty good (free room and board, stipend of cash bi-weekly, lots of activities and suchlike) but the during-workday culture was stuffy and abrasive, and the Assistant Center Director's default tone of voice with everyone (including her direct superior) was 'Condescending' .i finished my certification (A+ computer technician, which is now defunct) in ~6 months, most of which was spent goofing off due to boredom. i've been here a little more than a year at this writing, and though i completed an advanced training course (COMPTIA Network+) i still have yet to get my drivers license (something they require you to get before you are allowed to graduate) and the while the staff freqently let massive transgressions slide (the center has a Zero Tolerance policy for fighting, drugs and weapons, and i've seen people get into a brawl with the entire male dorm staff with no visible reprecussions. aside from the humiliation of the entire center watching the person behave like an idiot.) they will nitpick and lower your scores for tiny transgressions (the fact that my lockers were not locked suddenly became a huge issue when we finally got rid of a particularly dirty room-mate and began to pass inspections again. the only reasoning i recieved was 'it's in the handbook')
so in short, if you're planning on a short stay and quickly getting your certificates, don't belive the 'self paced' BS they pump out in the marketing, you'll graduate when they feel like letting you graduate. also, if you know anything at all about the subject you're going into, don't bother, there are
  more... easier ways to get the piece of paper that says you know the difference between a USB cable and an RJ45 connector.  less
Pros
Free Room And Board, activities after workday.
Cons
'High School Drama' atmosphere, ridiculous rules, in no way self-paced.
fun to workwith
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter,Rhode IslandJune 29, 2013
got their sorted the mail. made phone calls to people trying to get into Exeter Job Corps.Gave everybody their newspapers ran errands for the deputy director. I learned how to successfully make a phone call with out getting nervous and mess up what I was suppose to say. I learned how to make copies
Pros
Didnt have to travel far
Cons
just sitting still when there was nothing to do
Fun environment With very professional staff
Intern (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIJanuary 14, 2013
I assisted in the overall repair of the center’s computers, helped with organizing and completing the current work orders and assisted with classroom responsibilities and helping other students with their class work and labs.
respect fun work place
student (Former Employee) –  Exeter, RIApril 14, 2012
Great team work, community, communication. Learning more and getting to grow within the company.
Pros
communication
Cons
health care