Exotic Metals Employee Reviews

Don’t Waste Your Time.
Machine Welder (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 29, 2018
Hired as Machine welder. Pay is laughably low. Seriously. As far as coworkers go, you’ll meet some of the nicest most hard working people ever...unfortunately they’re mixed in with some real grade-A no loads...I’m talking some of the laziest most unprofessional people I’ve met in my life. First supervisor was great. Cared about his employees and didn’t show favoritism. They hired a new one from Genie and everything changed. His leadership skills are nonexistent and he is extremely timid about approaching employees when they weren’t working which meant you could work hard or do nothing and you’d be rewarded the same. Employees would literally go to the bathroom for 30 mins at a time 2 or 3 times a day, buying concert tickets and talking to friends on the phone and he never had the backbone to address it, even after multiple employees complained.

I would recommend suffering through this job if you want aerospace welding on your resume. It’s a great resume builder but that’s about it. The pay just doesn’t reflect the high level of quality that they ask for. Don’t let them fool you with talk about bonuses either. It gets taxed so heavily that it’s not even worth it. They do raises once a year but the highest raise they give is $1.50 and that’s incredibly RARE. You’re more likely to get 25 - 50 cents. Oh and prepare to show up extra early everyday because there’s not enough parking.
Pros
Some great co-workers, Resume builder, Easy weld certs
Cons
Laughably low pay, Lack of leadership skills, Lack of parking, Low morale, Low pay raises, High Stress
January 2, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and it is unfortunate to hear about your experience at Exotic. We strive to create a positive culture within the company by attracting and retaining employees who exemplify our B.E.S.T. guiding principles which drive our company forward in everything we do. As a result, lazy or unprofessional employees are extremely rare. Though you are a former employee, conflicts such as you described are best handled by your HR representative, so we can work to understand and resolve your situation. Wages and raises are individual to each employee and job title. We invest a lot of time continually researching the market wages and benefits as whole to provide the best long-term options for our employees. Some of these compensation package benefits include profit sharing and tuition reimbursement. Exotic is growing quickly and while this is very exciting, it also presents its challenges. Parking is one of those challenges. We have ample parking at another facility with a shuttle service to take employees to and from various buildings. This is a problem we are aware of and continually looking for viable solutions for our employees.

I really enjoyed my job and the people I worked with.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lompoc, CANovember 4, 2018
Everyday was an experience for me. I would have been there a lot longer but I chose to be a stay at home Mom after I gave birth to my little girl. If I ever move back there I would definitely reapply to Exotic Metals
Pros
Being respected and valued
Cons
I had to leave
Just don't.
QA (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 15, 2018
The worst place I've ever worked. Can't wait to leave. Management and supervision is unorganized and uncooperative. They don't care about the people and aren't afraid to show it. Pay is well below average (an experienced person makes 17.50 after almost 3 years of service) Definitely a good "starter company". Most people come and go within the first couple years or so. The leadership teams literally sit around all day and do nothing, only bark orders and bad-mouth their coworkers. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the work I do. But the bad absolutely outweighs the good.
January 2, 2019

We continually research market wages to stay at or above standards where possible. Wages are individual to each employee and job title. We also provide a number of training opportunities to support our employees’ goals and growth within the company. Your supervisor or HR representative is a great resource to understand these opportunities and the pathways available for career growth. If you are uncomfortable with or experience conflict with your supervisor, please reach out to HR so we may understand your situation and work to resolve it.

Iffy
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 3, 2018
Exotic metals was exciting at first but over the course of a few months I realized that it was underpaying and treating employees poorly. I wouldn't recommend exotic metals
Pros
Meh
Cons
No sick time, long hours
January 2, 2019

Wages and benefits are complex. As a result, we invest a lot of time researching the market wages in order to bring our employees the best compensation and benefits package as a whole. We pride ourselves in a team atmosphere and culture. Concerns such as yours are best resolved when brought to the attention of your HR representative who can work to understand your situation. Exotic is not the right fit for everyone, however Exotic is a long term career and family for many.

Good stepping stone
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 31, 2018
Great working environment & work-life balance, so-so on monetary compensation, benefits are okay. Overall a decent place to work for a few years, but depending on the department, not a lot of outlined growth potential. Could do better with initial training & outlining progression paths for employees.
Pros
Promotes good work-life balance for salaried employees
Cons
Compensation is below average
January 2, 2019

We appreciate your feedback! We currently have individual plans for our employees that outline steps employees need to take for progression. We also offer several training opportunities to employees in the areas of manufacturing, welding, laser, leaderships, etc. and we are developing more opportunities as we continue to grow. Human resources and supervisors are a great resource for more information on these opportunities to grow within Exotic.

Easy Decent Work
Sheet Metal Assembler (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WAJuly 24, 2018
The job is super easy, I just had some personal medical I had to deal with. If you're not afraid to stand all day and do some good ol' manual labor, apply!
Good company, poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 19, 2018
Little opportunity for advancement. Enjoy working for the company and great benifits. Profit sharing and paid vacation. Supervisors have little experience.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Poor management
Just don't.
Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 10, 2018
Don't let their recruiters fill you full of BS. Ask questions! They try to sell this company like a used car dealer. Remember this is a privately owned company supporting the aviation industry offering less than desirable wages.

It's a great stepping stone if you'd like to move into Boeing or another aerospace company if you can tolerate it for long enough.

Just read the other reviews. All show similarities. Favoritism, nepotism, poor supervision and management,finger pointing and blame games, shift wars, poor pay, very high turnover, decreasing profit sharing because of scrap, language barriers, hiring people with no skill which then leads to more scrap. It's a downward spiral.
Pros
People for the most part, break areas are nice, decent benefits
Cons
Management is horrendous, profit sharing is slowly going away
stressful and quick paced
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 28, 2018
worked with planners and supervisor on inventory discrepancies, filled orders for planners in timely manner, cycle counts, received incoming inventory.
poor advancement
Welder - Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WAJune 23, 2018
where to start... was told starting out that i would be better off applying as a sheet metal assembler rather than a welder because it would fast track my way into the welding department. fast forward 10 months later as i watch people i went to welding school with months behind me getting hired into welding positions while i am stuck in assembly because my "value to this company is as an assembler" i guess i felt extremely mislead both by the HR employee who recommended me to apply to that position instead and by the managers who made false promises about utilizing my skills and experience rather than wasting my time.

also, welders are severely underpaid here, starting out at only $15 per hour for aerospace quality TIG welding on .020 thickness titanium, in comparison to the people i went to school with who started right out the gate at $18 per hour for MIG Welding on industrial steel.
Nice place to start a career
Facility Maintenance team member (Former Employee) –  Kent, WA 98032June 11, 2018
The pay starts off low but they do have what is known as profit sharing. Profit sharing is given twice a year if I’m not mistaken. The benefits aren’t bad but they cost a nice penny; to make that money up you’d have to work extra hours. They don’t mind anyone working extra hours or weekends. They have a very family close atmosphere around there. I enjoyed my time there and I’ve sent two friends of mine there and they are still currently working there.
Stressful work
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 11, 2018
A lot of production demands and lack of upper level leadership creates a stressful work environment. Upper level leadership disconnected from production.
Pros
Benefits after longevity
Cons
Everything is a secret
Good people. Low pay. High nepotism.
Production Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 10, 2018
The people who have been at Exotic are very kind and understanding. The downside is the low pay and high turnover rates (Both on the manufacturing floor and in the office). This is a good place to gain experience in the field and then move on where you will get paid a decent wage. I always felt like I had strong job security but the room for growth was minimal. It is worth noting that the level of nepotism in this company is substantial. The president is the founders son-in-law. The presidents wife is "Director of Special Projects" which everyone knows it means she does not do jack and gets a hefty paycheck for her job title. Then there is the presidents daughter/son-in-law who also seem to have high paying/minimal effort jobs as well. Aside from those people, I love my managers.
Pros
People, atmosphere, attempts at caring for employees
Cons
Low pay, high turnover, not much room for growth, nepotism.
Honestly, the best job I’ve ever had.
Machinist Tool& Die (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 2, 2018
Exotic metals has treated me more than fairly. I started like everyone, thinking that I knew it all. I didnt, but I learned. They aren’t really open to new ideas, but they give you the latitude to do things your own way. If your way works better, it gets adopted pretty quickly. I cant speak for every area, but the tool & die shop is a relaxed environment where you are allowed the time to focus on quality. The starting pay is low, but if you get better, it does too. If you exell in a relaxed environment and hold yourself accountable, you will love it. If you take advantage of the relaxed environment, and do the minimum, you will probably be here complaining in a couple years. Like any other shop, you’ll get out of it what you put into it.
Pros
Profit sharing Bonus. Relaxed work environment.
Cons
Starting pay
A Good Place to Learn
QA Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 23, 2018
It seems that Exotic Metals is an excellent entry level gateway to the Aerospace industry. If you want to make a long term career of this industry however, you will want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible positions, fun people to work with
Cons
Compensation is lacking, management is inept
Not much opportunity unless they like you
PRECISION WELDER (Current Employee) –  Kent WashingtonApril 17, 2018
It is hard to navigate what they call our culture. The thing one would need to know to advance at exotic metals,is to get your supervisor and CTF to to like you. Promotions have nothing to do with your qualifications but how much your supervisor likes you.
Pros
Always have work
Cons
They only favor friends for advancement
Stressful and fast paced
Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 15, 2018
Exotic Metals is exactly what they claim to be. They are hard to work for but are clear about expectations. They are making the turn from a smaller firm to a larger, more corporate environment, and were experiencing those growth pains when I left. It can be difficult to acclimate to the more idiosyncratic aspects of the firm but once you understand the culture it is reasonably similar to any other aerospace manufacturer in terms of how things get done.

I have no negatives to report. Just that it is aerospace manufacturing and that industry is a pressure cooker with lots of A type personalities. If you can't thrive in that environment this company may not be your best fit.
Pros
Biannual bonuses, pay for office employees is good
Cons
Office culture is sometimes strange
Went bad and getting worse
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 13, 2018
Attempting to build a "world class" company making complicated aerospace hardware while hiring inexperienced people with limited English speaking and comprehension skills to do the work. Sound like a disaster? It is. Scrap rates are very high, people turnover rates are very high at all levels of the organization. It will pay the bills for awhile, but it is not a long-term prospect. Do what most people do: hire on, get some experience, then apply at Boeing or Blue Origin to get a REAL job. Not a good place to work.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
poor management
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WA 98032April 9, 2018
Advancements are mostly given to new hires. Off shift employees are kept in the dark on many different levels, on many different topics regardless of what they say publicly.

Several people whom I have known over the years that have quit were given unfavorable and HORRIBLE reference reviews to potential inquiring employers.

Its says a lot when former fired supervisors tell you that you would benefit greatly by going to work somewhere else.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
lack of internal support and respect for 2nd and 3rd shift employees
Work Work
Warehouse & inventory manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 3, 2018
Exotic Metals was a great place to work at. I would and have told people about applying at Exotic Metals. The one down fall is that there is not much room for advancement.
Pros
Plenty of OT and job security
Cons
Upper management does not live by the culture they expect all other to live by

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exotic Metals. Our community is ready to answer.

Exotic Metals Reviews by Location