Exotic Metals Employee Reviews

Good company, poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 19, 2018
Little opportunity for advancement. Enjoy working for the company and great benifits. Profit sharing and paid vacation. Supervisors have little experience.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Poor management
Just don't.
Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 10, 2018
Don't let their recruiters fill you full of BS. Ask questions! They try to sell this company like a used car dealer. Remember this is a privately owned company supporting the aviation industry offering less than desirable wages.

It's a great stepping stone if you'd like to move into Boeing or another aerospace company if you can tolerate it for long enough.

Just read the other reviews. All show similarities. Favoritism, nepotism, poor supervision and management,finger pointing and blame games, shift wars, poor pay, very high turnover, decreasing profit sharing because of scrap, language barriers, hiring people with no skill which then leads to more scrap. It's a downward spiral.
Pros
People for the most part, break areas are nice, decent benefits
Cons
Management is horrendous, profit sharing is slowly going away
stressful and quick paced
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 28, 2018
worked with planners and supervisor on inventory discrepancies, filled orders for planners in timely manner, cycle counts, received incoming inventory.
poor advancement
Welder - Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WAJune 23, 2018
where to start... was told starting out that i would be better off applying as a sheet metal assembler rather than a welder because it would fast track my way into the welding department. fast forward 10 months later as i watch people i went to welding school with months behind me getting hired into welding positions while i am stuck in assembly because my "value to this company is as an assembler" i guess i felt extremely mislead both by the HR employee who recommended me to apply to that position instead and by the managers who made false promises about utilizing my skills and experience rather than wasting my time.

also, welders are severely underpaid here, starting out at only $15 per hour for aerospace quality TIG welding on .020 thickness titanium, in comparison to the people i went to school with who started right out the gate at $18 per hour for MIG Welding on industrial steel.
Nice place to start a career
Facility Maintenance team member (Former Employee) –  Kent, WA 98032June 11, 2018
The pay starts off low but they do have what is known as profit sharing. Profit sharing is given twice a year if I’m not mistaken. The benefits aren’t bad but they cost a nice penny; to make that money up you’d have to work extra hours. They don’t mind anyone working extra hours or weekends. They have a very family close atmosphere around there. I enjoyed my time there and I’ve sent two friends of mine there and they are still currently working there.
Honestly, the best job I’ve ever had.
Machinist Tool& Die (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 2, 2018
Exotic metals has treated me more than fairly. I started like everyone, thinking that I knew it all. I didnt, but I learned. They aren’t really open to new ideas, but they give you the latitude to do things your own way. If your way works better, it gets adopted pretty quickly. I cant speak for every area, but the tool & die shop is a relaxed environment where you are allowed the time to focus on quality. The starting pay is low, but if you get better, it does too. If you exell in a relaxed environment and hold yourself accountable, you will love it. If you take advantage of the relaxed environment, and do the minimum, you will probably be here complaining in a couple years. Like any other shop, you’ll get out of it what you put into it.
Pros
Profit sharing Bonus. Relaxed work environment.
Cons
Starting pay
A Good Place to Learn
QA Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 23, 2018
It seems that Exotic Metals is an excellent entry level gateway to the Aerospace industry. If you want to make a long term career of this industry however, you will want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible positions, fun people to work with
Cons
Compensation is lacking, management is inept
Went bad and getting worse
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 13, 2018
Attempting to build a "world class" company making complicated aerospace hardware while hiring inexperienced people with limited English speaking and comprehension skills to do the work. Sound like a disaster? It is. Scrap rates are very high, people turnover rates are very high at all levels of the organization. It will pay the bills for awhile, but it is not a long-term prospect. Do what most people do: hire on, get some experience, then apply at Boeing or Blue Origin to get a REAL job. Not a good place to work.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
poor management
Work Work
Warehouse & inventory manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 3, 2018
Exotic Metals was a great place to work at. I would and have told people about applying at Exotic Metals. The one down fall is that there is not much room for advancement.
Pros
Plenty of OT and job security
Cons
Upper management does not live by the culture they expect all other to live by
Not a good place to build a career
Planner (Former Employee) –  KentMarch 30, 2018
Worked at Exotic over 3 years, profit sharing went down every year in spite of increased business and growth. Nepotism & favoritism run amuck. Salaried employees work 10 hr days, no comp time, at low wages compared to industry standards. Blame games are one of Exotic's core competencies - rather than working together to avoid problems blame is asserted and no help or mitigation is forthcoming. One of the highest turnover rates I've ever seen both in the shop and office. Benefits are marginal but acceptable. Exotic works people into the ground for the least they can possibly pay and do not value or recognize their employees. Basically a meat grinder operation. Do yourself a favor and find gainful employment elsewhere.
Pros
People
Cons
Management, Ceo, Cfo, Pay, Profit Sharing, work/life balance
Great company to work for
Laser Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 21, 2018
Great coworkers and management. Took great care of their employees and listening to problems and issues. Flexible when issues or ploblems came up. I enjoyed being able to say that I built engines and parts for military aircraft.
Pros
profit sharing, Pto, several paid holidays including about ten days offer during christmas and new years
Cons
no paid sick days
A typical day at work
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 20, 2018
I worked in the acid etch room with having horrible PPE they told me to duct tape the hole to protect from hydrofluoric acid and it did not work. Now having a large scar on my leg I would not recommend working here.
Pros
The co-workers are great
Cons
They do not care about your saftey although the attempt to make you think they do
Competitive within the aerospace manufacturing industry
CNC Laser Operator - Level III (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 18, 2018
Work place culture is a culture of 'always give more'. Employee retention has a high turn over rate. Overall, not the best company to work for if looking to build your career as a production CNC machinist.
Fast paced environment, chance at advancement
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 29, 2018
Exotic is a good place to work, they have great benifits. They pay well. Their communication between worker and upper management is lacking. They are an advancing company.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
Communication is bad, expectations are very high.
Great Place to work and learn
Supply Chain Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 25, 2018
Exotic is a great place to work, with great people and full of challenges. If you're looking to grow and make a difference this is a good place. They are growing fast and going through some growing pains but that's when you can learn the most.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Lots of buildings
expanding compnay
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 19, 2018
exoitc is currently expanding and has a lot of growing opportunity able to move up if want to put the work and show you are the best for the position.
Fun
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 1, 2018
A fun place to work. Culture fit is great. A lot of stuff to learn. Helpful team members. Great reimbursement plans. Dental plan, health plan. Great 401 k match
A lot more and good working structure.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 1, 2018
My coworkers were enjoyable to work with and most everyone was easy to get along with. It was easy to talk with my supervisors about different things. Or one of my supervisors supervisor about different things and concerns I had. Or even some of my career goals.
Pros
Set schedule and enjoyable people to work with.
Cons
Don't get payed well and lack of parking.
A good place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 22, 2017
I would work for exotic metals again. The only problems I have with exotic was the management and the low pay. It takes a long time to get anywhere within the company as well.
Dont work here. Save yourself some trouble
Assembly 2 (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 26, 2017
It was torture. I had many panic attacks there and felt like I was walking on eggshells because my lead. Management was the worst and hr thinks they are kings and queens and don't care about the harassment and just want you to suffer.
Pros
Profit sharing twice a year tons of ot
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exotic Metals. Our community is ready to answer.

Exotic Metals Reviews by Location