Exotic Metals Employee Reviews

Went bad and getting worse
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 13, 2018
Attempting to build a "world class" company making complicated aerospace hardware while hiring inexperienced people with limited English speaking and comprehension skills to do the work. Sound like a disaster? It is. Scrap rates are very high, people turnover rates are very high at all levels of the organization. It will pay the bills for awhile, but it is not a long-term prospect. Do what most people do: hire on, get some experience, then apply at Boeing or Blue Origin to get a REAL job. Not a good place to work.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
poor management
Work Work
Warehouse & inventory manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 3, 2018
Exotic Metals was a great place to work at. I would and have told people about applying at Exotic Metals. The one down fall is that there is not much room for advancement.
Pros
Plenty of OT and job security
Cons
Upper management does not live by the culture they expect all other to live by
Not a good place to build a career
Planner (Former Employee) –  KentMarch 30, 2018
Worked at Exotic over 3 years, profit sharing went down every year in spite of increased business and growth. Nepotism & favoritism run amuck. Salaried employees work 10 hr days, no comp time, at low wages compared to industry standards. Blame games are one of Exotic's core competencies - rather than working together to avoid problems blame is asserted and no help or mitigation is forthcoming. One of the highest turnover rates I've ever seen both in the shop and office. Benefits are marginal but acceptable. Exotic works people into the ground for the least they can possibly pay and do not value or recognize their employees. Basically a meat grinder operation. Do yourself a favor and find gainful employment elsewhere.
Pros
People
Cons
Management, Ceo, Cfo, Pay, Profit Sharing, work/life balance
expanding compnay
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 19, 2018
exoitc is currently expanding and has a lot of growing opportunity able to move up if want to put the work and show you are the best for the position.
No advancement, poor management
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 19, 2018
Not a career choice at all. If you’re looking for a company to pay decent, skip this one. Profit sharing is a joke, there isn’t much room for advancement (at least nothing worthwhile when they pay so little) harassment happens here also. Expect to have eyes rolled and laughter when you ask a question about a process. Smirks and snarky comments if you need help. 1st shift fights with second shift. 3rd shift scraps everything and blames it on first shift. Another employee messed up a part and wrote my employee number down as the one who was at fault- I never even worked that operation. Honesty is non-existent.. I could go on.
Pros
OK people
Cons
Terrible health care, low profit sharing, low pay, poor management, no parking, occurrences, etc
Dont work here. Save yourself some trouble
Assembly 2 (Former Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 26, 2017
It was torture. I had many panic attacks there and felt like I was walking on eggshells because my lead. Management was the worst and hr thinks they are kings and queens and don't care about the harassment and just want you to suffer.
Pros
Profit sharing twice a year tons of ot
Cons
Everything else
Very very good company.
Assembler/Welder (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 12, 2017
Highly recommend working here if you can get in, everything is on job training so you don't really need experience to get in. Everyone is very nice and helpful.
Pros
Great environment, great pay, great treatment
Cons
Shortish breaks
Terrible place to work!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 8, 2017
Stay away from exotic metals. They're terrible. Managers are bad (especially upper HR mgt) and it is the worst company I ever worked for. Managers gossip behind your back, morale is low and they try to pull you in with low wages and the promise of a nice bonus which last I heard, has gone down from the high teens to 7 percent. All the while, the owner and president has his kids driving nice Mercedes Benz cars and gave her a very expensive wedding at the Four Seasons in Seattle. Yet they won't budge over paying someone an additional dollar an hour. It's from the top down and they need to restructure their mgt team!
Pros
Employees work hard
Not Good
Welder 2 (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 27, 2017
Exotic likes that you work hard and put in all your effort. But when it comes down to compensate they hold back all way's feed you false hope's and dream's. IT has shop politics they put supervisors with out any experience in deportment's and expect other employees to train them in that cell.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management and advancement
QA Inspector Level I (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 9, 2017
Great place to work and I worked with a wonderful group of people.
I really enjoyed working there and hate I had to leave. If I were to move back to Washington I would go back Exotic.
Previous employee
Tool stores (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 1, 2017
I worked here almost 3 years, I worked in the inventory control/ tool stores department all I can say about this job is management is disfunctional they rely on their employees to do their jobs and when their job is not done they blame it on their employees who Actually no what they are doing. 2nd shift tool stores worked keep everything From Being a disaster. Grave yard only has two people and first shift sits on their phone all day because they no 2nd shift will do all the work.
Pros
Profit sharing (but it decreased every year I was their)
Cons
Management plays favorites and lie about promotions
Nice place to work
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent WAJuly 28, 2017
Very positive and friendly work environment. Company takes training seriously starting with a week long orientation. Nice cafeteria. Good health and dental benefits etc.
Cons
Not enough parking. No headphones policy
If you think Kent is bad; Airway Heights is worse.
Logistics Operator (Former Employee) –  Airway Heights, WAJuly 20, 2017
I thought I had found a lifelong career, I was wrong. I was hired on at the Airway Heights facility, I was trained at the Kent facility. At the Kent facility I was greeted and treated with respect, there was comradery, there was a sense of family. There were plenty complaints, low pay - (for the aerospace industry), complaints of nepotism, and complaints of company direction and vision. With all these complains, I was excited at the opportunity to join Exotic and be a part of this industry.

Airway Heights has a completely different culture. The facility is so new the workforce their works against one another to get ahead. The management is micromanaged by the site manager, management doesn't get the independence to create results without strict guidance. So much guidance that the managers, leads, and focals are afraid to make decisions by themselves.

Turnover is very high and company "buy in" and moral is extremely low. The 10 hour days aren't that bad, but be prepared to work 50 hour weeks with unnegotiable schedules. 50 hour weeks turn into 60 when you work Saturday.

Exotic Metals boasts their benefits and pay but after research they are on the low end. Profit share allows them to pay lower wages with the illusion of profit share to help boost employee retention and employee satisfaction.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Inflexible schedules, low pay, long hours
Strict, but easy going atmosphere.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 6, 2017
Got a nice bonus check twice a year, called profit sharing. Always got the last week of December off, for Christmas. Had 4 day weekends, for the 4th of July, as long as it landed on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday. Had a extra day on Labor Day, if July 4 landed on a Wednesday. Always got a majority of the national holidays off. Pleasant people to work with and very easy to get along with management.
Pros
Raises, profit share, opperunety to grow or advance.
Cons
Low pay rate.
So glad i am no longer working for them!!
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 3, 2017
My experience after working several years at exotic, was not good. If you are a skilled journeyman machinist or a tool and die maker there are much better places to work! If shop politics and favoritism are your thing, then this is the tool and die shop for you!! They do have profit sharing, for the past several years they have gotten smaller and smaller. Also when I was no longer employed I was told that they do not fight unemployment claims. This is false. They dinged me for $10,000! All of this is why they had to get a few machinists from Texas.
Pros
Shutdown at christmas
Cons
Management, politics, and favoritism.
it was good money but terrible management
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day at exotic was you came in clocked in and checked our email. Then pull up the dispatch list and work from importance. I learned a lot about how to use tools to measure and or weigh parts. Also learned more about excel spread sheets. The management at first seemed very friendly and organized I then learned they weren't as organized as I thought. And they played a lot of favoritism. I had fun working there the people for the most part were very nice and I felt very welcome as a new employee. The hardest part about the job was remembering which customer required what, but there is always some place to find the information you would need to be successful. The most enjoyable part of the job was that even when I felt like I wasn't catching on I was told I learned a lot of the stuff faster than most people did when they first started so that was nice.
Pros
profit sharing every 3 months
Cons
them playing favoritism
Bad
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 17, 2016
Managers and coworkers are rude and judgmental. Lack of team work. Unprofessional bosses. People get fired and quit a lot, in and out. Not a fun work environment
Pros
Benefits and pays
Don't even bother
Forming Operator (Current Employee) –  Kent, waOctober 24, 2016
Want to have a life outside of work? Too bad. Want to have money to live off of? Too bad. Want to be treated fairly? Too bad. Low pay but profit sharing, right? Too bad they changed the way they do that so profit sharing does absolutely nothing to make up for getting paid so poorly, it's pointless.

Horrible place to work. Do yourself a favor and avoid everything Exotic Metals. Turnover rate is absolutely ridiculous. Constantly wasting my time training people just for them to up and leave to another aerospace company that pays way more.
Pros
(Very small) bonuses
Cons
Management, VERY low pay, lots of mandatory overtime, horrible culture, no training systems
Excellent opportunity to gain valuable skills
QA (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 22, 2016
This company offers the opportunity to build a valuable resume. However, do not expect them to pay you for your value once you achieve it. Basically if your choice is between working here or a grocery store, it's a good move.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Wages
50-60hr weeks for the last 7 months... Managment is garbage.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  WAAugust 17, 2016
This place sucks, management sucks and upper management is oppresive... Over all, slip applying to this place and save yourself trouble.
Pros
Benafits
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exotic Metals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6