Exploratorium

Exploratorium Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
All the people I worked with were easy to talk to and eager to teach all required skills. All mentors were easy to follow and overall very kind. Walking into work was a joy and filled with excitement.
Pros
Free entry to museum
Cons
No benefits since it was for high school students
Site experience was unique and each employee was different
My department had the ability to work with other departments and broaden experience of my current job. I was able to do my own projects and work with supremely talented individuals that made my work much better.
fun place to work
Most hours are 9-5 for full-time, part-time on call very. it's a fun place to work low key lots of friendly people willing to get you up to speed lots of special events. kid-friendly a must
Fun and Inclusive Workplace
Working at the Exploratorium allowed me to explore various pathways as I developed as an educator. The individuals that work at the exploratorium are dedicated to the inclusion of their workers and take extra steps to make sure that your voice is heard. Highly recommend the exploratorium!
Science museum is a learning center
This job teaches you how to help and teach people to learn things. There are different demos and exhibits that you can look at and learn something. They have different things for the kids and adults. Its an all age museum and everyone can have fun and also learn some new things
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
An open-minded and inclusive place to work at
I worked as a High School Explainer and an Exhibit Maintenance Explainer during my time at the Exploratorium. This was my first job, so I was able to quickly learn professional etiquette and punctuality. The most enjoyable part of this job was the laid-back and inclusive environment that our supervisors created. Everyone was able to be themselves and that made it a really fun place to work at.
awesome place to work
Led dozens of school field trips and tourist groups daily through the museum by giving orientations of the Exploratorium, sharing its pedagogy and encouraging the public to experience the world through different perspectives, and generating curiosity among visitors to engage with science and arts.
Great... if in the right role
This can be a great place to work if you're hired for (and keep) the job you want. Meaning, opportunities are few and far between, so do not take one job hoping to transition into another. Despite the inspiration and intrigue you experience in the galleries, many staff work primarily in front of a computer, just as in any other workplace.
High School Explainer
Back when I was an Explainer, the program was great! I loved everything about it. It was very easy to learn all the demos and to make friends. I heard the program has changed slightly and is more strict, but overall the museum was a wonderful place to work.
Fun environment where you constantly learn and engage with new crowds.
At the Exploratorium you are exposed to a great diversity of individuals from all backgrounds. I enjoyed the vast amount of exhibits amd gadgets to explore throughout the musuem. While working you get to explore and share the information with visitors who have come to learn themselves. Very collaborative and exciting.
Productive fun workplace
productive fun workplace. it is a lot of fun and also productive. It is a good time working there and you get a lot done. did I mention that it is also fun and productive.
Your growth depends on you
The Exploratorium encourages exactly what it implies: for you to explore the possibilities of the world around you and your personal capabilities. The philosophy of the museum is to learn, create, grow, and study the world around you so that you can better yourself and thus better the world around you. This means that the museum will give you plenty of options to grow and learn, but that means you need to take those opportunities. They will not just be handed to you.

As a Fieldtrip Explainer I had the chance to learn cool science phenomena, create activities, and help design exhibits. All of these things were available to all my coworkers, but I had to take advantage of them. It's really easy because you have so many opportunities to take them for granted and not take advantage of them.

I gained leadership skills, learned cool stuff about people and speakers, and even fought for the rights of my coworkers at the Exploratorium. On the same token, some of my coworkers came in and did the bare minimum to get by, never taking any opportunity to do more with their time there.

This is a non-profit so the pay is decent, but not anywhere near a place that is privately run/for-profit. As such, you need to understand that due to budget constraints you won't be getting paid as much as you would with your skillset in a for profit organization of similar stature. That being said, for a non-profit, it is one of the better paying non-profits I have worked at.
Pros
Opportunities to grow, amazing work culture, positive social impact
Cons
non-profit pay, need to take initiative to grow.
A great place to work
It was with great sadness that I left the Exploratorium to find a better paying job. It was certainly the best place I have ever worked, and the best co-workers I have ever worked with.
Fun and informational
Great experience to work in a museum. Allowed behind the scenes in the Exploratorium. Given a lot of opportunities to learn and give that knowledge back to visitors.
Pros
Free lunches, free visits to the museum
Cons
short breaks, limited hours
Fun place to work
The Exploratorium is a absolute great place to work for youth and adults. The Exploratorium has great discounts for employees and very good benefits. They also have after work employee parties where they provide food and drinks.
Pros
Cons
No parking
Staff vs. management, no diversity at highest levels
Exploratorium is a great place to work for some people. I see many people with college degrees struggling to stay out of bankruptcy at this place. Don’t expect any advancement opportunities unless your a favorite of someone.
Pros
Cool exhibits
Cons
Institutional racism, lack of diversity, inclusion front with no action.
Fun, Cooperative, Fast
There was never a dull day, fast environment, constant interaction with the public mainly tourists, management was friendly and understanding of the part time job
Mission orientated, socially and scientifically minded place
The Exploratorium is a safe space for anyone to explore science, art and human perception. Many of the employees are dedicated to the organizations mission and have been working hard these past few years to incorporate more social science and justice into all aspects of exhibits, events and professional development work. It is an honor to work there, but I am also aware that there is still work to be done in terms of increasing the organization, member, board and visitor diversity.
Pros
Great work-life balance, good benefits
good place
a Great place to work and learn new things. People are nice and and an awesome place to work at. the museum let you use the tool shop to fix things. its a good place!!
Positive workplace
A healthy working environment, there are obvious opportunities on how you can move up in the museum.
The place is set up into sections the museum is below and the offices are upstairs. This gives the workers the ability to interact while passing through the workplace. janitors having actual conversations with the executive director and there is no awkward tension, just a casual laugh and check in about the weekend.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not enough opportunity passed entry levels
Fun workplace
Every day was never the same because every visitors would be different. Their facial reactions after a hands on demo is priceless and is made into a special memory.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exploratorium. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5
4.5
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
4.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight