Exponent Employee Reviews

student news paper
Student Newspaper (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 10, 2018
was a good experience, with good co-workers, and even better work hours. The people are nice and the atmosphere gives you multiple opportunities to work on your own.
Really?
SENIOR CONSULTANT, Program Strategy (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2018
I know nothing about the company anymore. Why does Indeed require an employer review from an individual who has not been employed at a company for over 5 years, 20 even. This is ridiculous.
Engineering Assistant
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 19, 2018
 Intern role involving documentation and storage of legal evidence
 Performed lab work in metallurgy, microscopy, and mechanics
 Assisted with experiments and casework-related research
Billable Hours are everything.
Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 15, 2018
The people in the office are great. Most very friendly, and almost a family environment. Can't really state what we did, because most work there was confidential. But being a public stock offered company, billable hours are the bottom line. And you had to have enough billable hours to be able to keep your job. Or at least that was always hanging heavy on everyone's shoulders. I enjoyed the people and the work. Especially when I was sent out to their Phoenix location several times. They had a great group of employee's that I really enjoyed working with, and the work out there was really interesting and fun. Miss those times, but grateful that I experienced them.
Pros
Interesting work, great people
Cons
pressure to have billable work
Fast paced environment with learning opportunities
Nurse Consultant, Biomechanics Group (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Data and accident analysis in automobile industry and
Learned many aspects of data analysis and legal defense as company provide expert witnesses. Fast paced, highly technical
It was a college gig.
Local News Editor, General Reporter (Former Employee) –  Platteville, WIOctober 29, 2017
I worked there throughout college. It was fun at first, but became very stressful after a while. I liked the job but it also lacked any further experience in my field of study.
Extreme pressure for billable hours
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2017
The honeymoon lasts about 2 weeks.

Afterwards extreme pressure is placed on new employees to create billable hours, and management is not happy with 100% billable but pushes for over 150%.

If you join exponent, suggest you bring clients with you - otherwise select a cardiologist for your future heart attack.
Pros
pay, benefits, stock options
Cons
extreme pressure, poor management
It's a very nice company to work for. Great Christmas party.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2017
It was a fun but busy places to work. If not for my husband's job relocating us I would still be working there. Great benefits and the people are great to work with.
A consulting company working on interesting projects
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
The company is based in California and operates with that culture. I served as sole support to 8 engineers and scientists who were a pleasure to work with. My boss was fair and gave me opportunities. I traveled to Miami to receive training in their company database.
No career advancement
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 3, 2017
If you are not an engineer there is absolutely no room for advancement. Management is good people. People are very nice. Pay is not too great compared to market standard.
Technical A-Types Taking What They Can
Associate (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAMay 3, 2017
Exponent is a consulting firm that prides itself on being the best in the business. An oft heard refrain in the halls is how clients are constantly complaining about the cost of hiring Exponent, but still pay for the quality of results provided. All of the people who do well in this company are the most aggressive and practical academia has to offer. The compensation is alright and the people run the gamut from surly to true friends.

If you are looking to dive deep on any particular project, or perfect a technique to make future work easier, this is not the place to go. The mantra is to do it fast, get it right, and to heck with everything else. Since you bill by the 6 minutes, or half hour if you're less scrupulous, there is never any incentive to automate or optimize any workflow. The management is also super stingy when it comes to equipment, so expect to do things for cheap and like it.

Work-life balance is almost impossible as even senior folks will cancel or fly back from vacations for a last minute inspections or calls, but that is the service industry.

For the right type of person, this place is paradise, and upward advancement will reward them. However, if you don't fit Exponent's mould perfectly, expect to struggle and move out to another Silicon Valley tech company in about 2 years.
Pros
Interesting clients, flexible hours, smart peers
Cons
No work-file balance, constant drive to billbillbill, limited career paths
Experiential!
Soldering/Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 6, 2017
I learned a few things! Management knew what to do if asked about a task! Learned how to improve my soldering skills. The hardest part of the job was working outside in the heat at times. The typical day at work was soldering circuit boards and assembly the associated cables to the boards. Everything was production, the assembly of all components of the final product.
Pros
sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Contract work
A collection of very smart professionals
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2017
A typical work day would consist of troubleshooting technical & system issues with the administrative & engineering staff. I learned a lot about what it takes to implement a new accounting system from one platform to another & to do it as seamlessly as possible & still keep the company running in an efficient manner during the conversion phase.
Awesome place to work
Features Editor (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIFebruary 1, 2017
The Exponent is an awesome, collaborative place to work. There is so much room for improvement and learning.It was a great stepping stone into my professional career.
No Longer a company
MANUFACTURING TECHNICIAN/SOLDERING LEAD (Former Employee) –  Deer Valley, AZJanuary 24, 2017
there was no management on site ever, the job from day to day was not secure. It ended up shutting down in 4 months instead of the year it was told to its workers it would last.
Official response from Exponent
August 4, 2017

This review is inaccurate. Exponent, Inc. has been in business for over 50 years. We have had an office in the Deer Valley area of Phoenix, Arizona for many of those years.
Exponent Human Resources

diverse experience, exceptional staff
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 1, 2017
diverse experience, exceptional staff, excellent opportunities for learning, clients include all industries both domestic and international, very supportive management and coworkers
Interesting coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at Exponent would include organizing files, both physical and within the internal database. I would take calls from clients and organize lunch meetings.
Not my cup of tea - the rating reflects my experiance with an individule - not the overall compnay
scientist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 21, 2016
In my group (only) my reporting principal constantly stole credit for many of my accomplishments and denied my credit. He creating a cut throat environment and finally left the company. Unfortunately - not before he did damage.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
too many to list - This person was a piece of work
Great work atmosphere. Excellent training, coworkers and managment..
Payroll/Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2015
Fast pace job, but exciting. Schedules to meet daily printing and shipping payroll checks for multiple clients. Everyday was a learning process. Working out problems with management and team leaders was never a problem. The clients interest always came first.
I always looked forward to going to work.
The worst day I had at work was turning in my resignation.
Pros
Didn't have to dressup for work. Job was fun even though it had to be perfect
Cons
none!
Small office in a large company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2015
Exponent's crash testing and engineering facility in Phoenix is a very small part of a large company. Sometimes it seemed like the home office in CA forgot about the Phoenix office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exponent. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about