Exponent

Exponent Employee Reviews

United States34 reviews
A very busy place to work
The company has a lot of high-profile employees, this company is very busy and competitive.
People are supportive, however, there’s little areas to grow in the company because majority of the employees are engineers and scientists.
Good place
what do i even say about this there is just so much im looking to get out of being like this place is good and it was it really really was so theres that
great
the company is great everyone is nice and smart. Everyone I work with always handles there business and are very competitive due to the growth of tech.
Nice Place to Work
When I worked for them it was called Failure Analysis Associates. I left only because of the man I worked for had left to start a east coast Structural Integrity. At that time he was the only one. I went with him and he and I were the only two.

That guy is now the CEO of Structural Integrity.
High stress but rewarding workplace
Highly motivated group of consultants with unique projects but little upper management involvement. Little areas to move up in the company without a PhD. Work live balance doesn't exist.
Good benefits, stable employer
I worked only as an intern by Exponent took me in and taught me a lot. I think they would be a stable and reliable employer in the longer term. Low cost employee canteen, great office facilities
Friendly co-workers, fast-paced and all the coffee you can drink
Service requests arrive primarily via email. Supporting consultants under pressure to perform, get results and meet deadlines means pressure on IT staff to keep their systems and the network up and running day and night, weekends and holidays. The IT department management is very good and supportive. Consultants work all hours of the day and night and require support all hours of the day and night. You'll be on call even when not officially on call. The work culture at the HQ can be rather cut-throat from what I'm told. The satellite offices each have their own individual personalities. Working under the pressure to solve issues is standard and working evenings is also common place. End users are very appreciative of your help. You are made to feel you are an important part of the company.
Pros
Free coffee, teas, Bagel Fridays
Cons
Fast paced, work through lunch, most evening and weekends
student news paper
was a good experience, with good co-workers, and even better work hours. The people are nice and the atmosphere gives you multiple opportunities to work on your own.
Engineering Assistant
 Intern role involving documentation and storage of legal evidence
 Performed lab work in metallurgy, microscopy, and mechanics

 Assisted with experiments and casework-related research
Billable Hours are everything.
The people in the office are great. Most very friendly, and almost a family environment. Can't really state what we did, because most work there was confidential. But being a public stock offered company, billable hours are the bottom line. And you had to have enough billable hours to be able to keep your job. Or at least that was always hanging heavy on everyone's shoulders. I enjoyed the people and the work. Especially when I was sent out to their Phoenix location several times. They had a great group of employee's that I really enjoyed working with, and the work out there was really interesting and fun. Miss those times, but grateful that I experienced them.
Pros
Interesting work, great people
Cons
pressure to have billable work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Exponent?
Fast paced environment with learning opportunities
Data and accident analysis in automobile industry and
Learned many aspects of data analysis and legal defense as company provide expert witnesses. Fast paced, highly technical
It was a college gig.
I worked there throughout college. It was fun at first, but became very stressful after a while. I liked the job but it also lacked any further experience in my field of study.
Extreme pressure for billable hours
The honeymoon lasts about 2 weeks.

Afterwards extreme pressure is placed on new employees to create billable hours, and management is not happy with 100% billable but pushes for over 150%.

If you join exponent, suggest you bring clients with you - otherwise select a cardiologist for your future heart attack.
Pros
pay, benefits, stock options
Cons
extreme pressure, poor management
It's a very nice company to work for. Great Christmas party.
It was a fun but busy places to work. If not for my husband's job relocating us I would still be working there. Great benefits and the people are great to work with.
A consulting company working on interesting projects
The company is based in California and operates with that culture. I served as sole support to 8 engineers and scientists who were a pleasure to work with. My boss was fair and gave me opportunities. I traveled to Miami to receive training in their company database.
No career advancement
If you are not an engineer there is absolutely no room for advancement. Management is good people. People are very nice. Pay is not too great compared to market standard.
Plenty of activities in terms of work being done and extra curricular exercises
The functional areas of an organization are properly provided for and covered except that most of the managers, because of their experience as salesmen, were not prepared to handle managerial positions.

Had good managers been assigned to the functional positions better growth could have been achieved by the company.

The company initially was achieving good sales growth. But when the managers reached tgeir level of incompetencies, no more sales growth was achieved.
Pros
There were plenty of free lunches and company outings as incentives
Cons
Top managment was linient on sales managers
Technical A-Types Taking What They Can
Exponent is a consulting firm that prides itself on being the best in the business. An oft heard refrain in the halls is how clients are constantly complaining about the cost of hiring Exponent, but still pay for the quality of results provided. All of the people who do well in this company are the most aggressive and practical academia has to offer. The compensation is alright and the people run the gamut from surly to true friends.

If you are looking to dive deep on any particular project, or perfect a technique to make future work easier, this is not the place to go. The mantra is to do it fast, get it right, and to heck with everything else. Since you bill by the 6 minutes, or half hour if you're less scrupulous, there is never any incentive to automate or optimize any workflow. The management is also super stingy when it comes to equipment, so expect to do things for cheap and like it.

Work-life balance is almost impossible as even senior folks will cancel or fly back from vacations for a last minute inspections or calls, but that is the service industry.

For the right type of person, this place is paradise, and upward advancement will reward them. However, if you don't fit Exponent's mould perfectly, expect to struggle and move out to another Silicon Valley tech company in about 2 years.
Pros
Interesting clients, flexible hours, smart peers
Cons
No work-file balance, constant drive to billbillbill, limited career paths
Experiential!
I learned a few things! Management knew what to do if asked about a task! Learned how to improve my soldering skills. The hardest part of the job was working outside in the heat at times. The typical day at work was soldering circuit boards and assembly the associated cables to the boards. Everything was production, the assembly of all components of the final product.
Pros
sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Contract work
A collection of very smart professionals
A typical work day would consist of troubleshooting technical & system issues with the administrative & engineering staff. I learned a lot about what it takes to implement a new accounting system from one platform to another & to do it as seamlessly as possible & still keep the company running in an efficient manner during the conversion phase.
Awesome place to work
The Exponent is an awesome, collaborative place to work. There is so much room for improvement and learning.It was a great stepping stone into my professional career.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exponent. Our community is ready to answer.