Exponent Employee Reviews

High stress but rewarding workplace
Engineering Consultant and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 30, 2018
Highly motivated group of consultants with unique projects but little upper management involvement. Little areas to move up in the company without a PhD. Work live balance doesn't exist.
Good benefits, stable employer
Failure Analysis Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2018
I worked only as an intern by Exponent took me in and taught me a lot. I think they would be a stable and reliable employer in the longer term. Low cost employee canteen, great office facilities
Friendly co-workers, fast-paced and all the coffee you can drink
Systems Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 4, 2018
Service requests arrive primarily via email. Supporting consultants under pressure to perform, get results and meet deadlines means pressure on IT staff to keep their systems and the network up and running day and night, weekends and holidays. The IT department management is very good and supportive. Consultants work all hours of the day and night and require support all hours of the day and night. You'll be on call even when not officially on call. The work culture at the HQ can be rather cut-throat from what I'm told. The satellite offices each have their own individual personalities. Working under the pressure to solve issues is standard and working evenings is also common place. End users are very appreciative of your help. You are made to feel you are an important part of the company.
Pros
Free coffee, teas, Bagel Fridays
Cons
Fast paced, work through lunch, most evening and weekends
Really?
SENIOR CONSULTANT, Program Strategy (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2018
I know nothing about the company anymore. Why does Indeed require an employer review from an individual who has not been employed at a company for over 5 years, 20 even. This is ridiculous.
Engineering Assistant
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 19, 2018
 Intern role involving documentation and storage of legal evidence
 Performed lab work in metallurgy, microscopy, and mechanics
 Assisted with experiments and casework-related research
Billable Hours are everything.
Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 15, 2018
The people in the office are great. Most very friendly, and almost a family environment. Can't really state what we did, because most work there was confidential. But being a public stock offered company, billable hours are the bottom line. And you had to have enough billable hours to be able to keep your job. Or at least that was always hanging heavy on everyone's shoulders. I enjoyed the people and the work. Especially when I was sent out to their Phoenix location several times. They had a great group of employee's that I really enjoyed working with, and the work out there was really interesting and fun. Miss those times, but grateful that I experienced them.
Pros
Interesting work, great people
Cons
pressure to have billable work
student news paper
Student Newspaper (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 10, 2018
was a good experience, with good co-workers, and even better work hours. The people are nice and the atmosphere gives you multiple opportunities to work on your own.
Fast paced environment with learning opportunities
Nurse Consultant, Biomechanics Group (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Data and accident analysis in automobile industry and
Learned many aspects of data analysis and legal defense as company provide expert witnesses. Fast paced, highly technical
Extreme pressure for billable hours
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2017
The honeymoon lasts about 2 weeks.

Afterwards extreme pressure is placed on new employees to create billable hours, and management is not happy with 100% billable but pushes for over 150%.

If you join exponent, suggest you bring clients with you - otherwise select a cardiologist for your future heart attack.
Pros
pay, benefits, stock options
Cons
extreme pressure, poor management
A consulting company working on interesting projects
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
The company is based in California and operates with that culture. I served as sole support to 8 engineers and scientists who were a pleasure to work with. My boss was fair and gave me opportunities. I traveled to Miami to receive training in their company database.
It was a college gig.
Local News Editor, General Reporter (Former Employee) –  Platteville, WIOctober 29, 2017
I worked there throughout college. It was fun at first, but became very stressful after a while. I liked the job but it also lacked any further experience in my field of study.
Experiential!
Soldering/Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 6, 2017
I learned a few things! Management knew what to do if asked about a task! Learned how to improve my soldering skills. The hardest part of the job was working outside in the heat at times. The typical day at work was soldering circuit boards and assembly the associated cables to the boards. Everything was production, the assembly of all components of the final product.
Pros
sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Contract work
A collection of very smart professionals
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2017
A typical work day would consist of troubleshooting technical & system issues with the administrative & engineering staff. I learned a lot about what it takes to implement a new accounting system from one platform to another & to do it as seamlessly as possible & still keep the company running in an efficient manner during the conversion phase.
It's a very nice company to work for. Great Christmas party.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2017
It was a fun but busy places to work. If not for my husband's job relocating us I would still be working there. Great benefits and the people are great to work with.
Great work atmosphere. Excellent training, coworkers and managment..
Payroll/Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2015
Fast pace job, but exciting. Schedules to meet daily printing and shipping payroll checks for multiple clients. Everyday was a learning process. Working out problems with management and team leaders was never a problem. The clients interest always came first.
I always looked forward to going to work.
The worst day I had at work was turning in my resignation.
Pros
Didn't have to dressup for work. Job was fun even though it had to be perfect
Cons
none!
Excellent and engaging work with quality people
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2013
At Exponent everyone feels important. There is a real sense of urgency to get the work done and dependency on one another which creates an excellent team work atmosphere. Being an entry level intern, I did not expect to take on the amount of responsibility that was given to me. Right from the start I felt as though my talents were being used and that my work was greatly appreciated. A client based company such as Exponent requires tight deadlines and even tighter work ethic.
Pros
Worked on various project, no two days were alike.
Cons
At times the hours could be long.
Interesting Work
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 29, 2013
Some of the most talented Engineers in the business.

An odd mix of innovation and superior research with a lack of good direction or flexibility and a subtle level of contempt towards non PhD employees.

Job satisfaction is completely based on the managerial mood.
Pros
Smart People, Interesting Work
Cons
Extremely Expensive Healthcare, Have vs Have Not Attitudes
Not my cup of tea - the rating reflects my experiance with an individule - not the overall compnay
scientist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 21, 2016
In my group (only) my reporting principal constantly stole credit for many of my accomplishments and denied my credit. He creating a cut throat environment and finally left the company. Unfortunately - not before he did damage.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
too many to list - This person was a piece of work
No career advancement
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 3, 2017
If you are not an engineer there is absolutely no room for advancement. Management is good people. People are very nice. Pay is not too great compared to market standard.
Alternative career for PhD holders in psychology
Human Factors Scientist (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAMarch 8, 2012
Exponent, Inc. has among its many engineering practices a team of largely cognitive psychologists and industrial engineers comprising a human factors unit. As a consulting division, human factors attracts companies seeking guidance on pre-market product design and accompanying literature. Even more typically, human factors is hired to defend corporations and individuals on both product liability and personal injury cases. Consultants at Exponent are expected to rapidly digest and analyze case materials provided by the client, as well as add persuasive analyses to create a work product or prepare an expert witness for court. As human factors cases rely on educated opinions characterizing human behavior, it offers a potentially fulfilling and certainly distinct career choice for a college degree that tends to serve mostly academia.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exponent. Our community is ready to answer.