Express

Express insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Cool play

It was pretty good. Fine job as a high schooler or college student. It's retail so you'll have to deal with annoying customers. but overall, everyone is pretty chill

I absolutely love working here!

Express is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The benefits are great for full time workers, the culture is amazing, and I genuinely love coming into work every day. I feel like I am helping people, and I am paid fairly. I have fun every day that I am there. I am treated with respect, and I am appreciated. I highly recommend this company to anyone who is reading this.

Pros

Great benefits, excellent work/life balance, requesting off, flexible hours

Cons

On your feet all day, rude customers

They never gave me enough hours to work & they barely trained me for anything I needed to know.

I do not recommend. I wasn’t trained for anything. They just taught me to fold clothes & that’s all. They never told me how to restock, never trained me for the cashier ( something that i asked for) not a good experience for my first job.

Pros

Learn to interact with customers.

Cons

Not given any or enough working hours.

rough one at my store, new managers every months with the old ones quitting for mental health.

No pay raises, hiring new people who were getting paid more than I was regardless of experience. Was lucky to get a $1 raise after 4 years of working. Upper management would tell you one thing and do the other all the time. Wanted people for management positions but did not want to promote within. All the workers in the store were cool, from associates to general managers but any higher is when the disconnect happened. Managers were also being micro managed by corporate causing them to be overly stressed for no reason. favorites seemed to also be played as well in corporate as pay and promotes were never connected to work ethic. Overall it is one of those companies that has a major sense of disconnect, pay & benefits were terrible, Leadership from a corporate level was like trying to walk a dog with no leash and then getting upset with the dog when it walks off the path.

Pros

people in the store and it looked like they were starting to up pay to try to retain people.

Cons

almost everything lol Pay & Benefits, corporate, revolving door of managers, always work on store time with no chance to take days off without being called in for help.

This was a great place to work

The only reason I didn’t stay long was because I had a full time job and 2 small children, and taking on a second job proved to be too much. Express was a great place to work though. It’s my favorite store so that’s why I applied and was thrilled when they called for an interview. When I told them I needed to resign they asked me several times if there was anything they could do not to lose me. If I could have stayed I would have. They care about their employees and it was just a pleasant environment.

Pros

Employer cares

Cons

Holiday time is insanely busy but that’s to be expected

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Terrible place to work at

First off management is absolutely horrible. They don’t really teach you anything themselves, they make the associates teach all the new people. They force you to do their online schooling called express university. After the holidays they give you hours only to take them away the next day causing you to only work one day. All they care about is hitting sales goals every weekend. They care about money so much that they won’t pay PTO or overtime because they’re so cheap. Don’t work there.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Terrible management

Fast paced, always something going on

Management was understanding and helpful. I always felt I contributed to the store. Co workers were all outgoing and relatable. Wished the store didn't change structure so often gets confusing

Nice people, small place

I learned stuff about the "real world" it was fun at first but since the new management, it's just not the same energy as before, plus the pay is terrible considering we sell $120 pants and $60 shirts

Pros

50% discount

Cons

Low pay

They have good electronic devices to make it easier to help customers on the floor.

I worked at Express in Las Vegas. Management was horrible and unorganized, although I'm sure theres locations with way better management. Their training was very inconsistent which made my job really hard. About a month into the job I got yelled at in front of customers for not knowing how to do something I was never shown how to do or even told about. Management constantly talked down to me. Then when I finally decided not to show for work, for the first time in a whole year working there they want to start talking about my positive attributes basically begging me to stay. Yes I'm reliable, dedicated, good at creating customer rapport, persuasive and a good seller but I'll take my attributes to a different company. By far one of the most toxic workplaces I've ever seen. So disappointed with my experience working there.

Pros

Customers are always looking for your help, and your input is valuable to them

Cons

Short break, very inconsistent training, inconsistent management

A lot of standing and greeting, not worth the pay. Good friendly environment but hours are not flexible. Paid less than minimum wage but wanted you to work on holidays.

Good holiday job but that's it

It was nice to work there for the 3 months I did I really enjoyed it but I was cut hours because of payroll and later laid off without being told and when asked why they lied to me saying that they tried to call me to ask to work and I did not answer. I received no email, text or voicemail. I drove to another location for a rare item and they could not use my discount with my employee ID numbers. Clothes are nice and discount was good on some days. If you are looking for a mall job that the employer cares more about their numbers more than ethics with employees, this is the place to work. Also minimum wage for doing hard labor.

Pros

Clothes and discount

Cons

Lack of ethics

The job overall

The store manager and anyone above that position expected every employee below their position to go above and out for the store but the pay and raises are at a minimum not only that but the manager there did not care nor respect her employees at all.

Bad company culture

The company has a very toxic culture, they underpay and overwork you will little to no appreciation. Would have management constantly make me work on days of in preparation of visits that would never happen. Corporate is extremely discounted from their stores, and there is no room for growth unless being a store manager is the highest position you are seeking.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Upper management, culture, pay, workload

Awful managment

Had a horrible manager. My co-workers were nice. But the management absolutely sucked. There was no direction. I didn't know what to do half of the time. I got yelled at if I wasn't doing something right.I made some nice friends though. Pay was horrible.

Sporadic

For now the company is very hectic, years before it was more stable, but now it seems to be very iffy in the future of the employees and the company. Furthermore, the company has high expecting but offers no help or training in how to reach said expections.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Workload, pay, disorganization

It’s okay

Great place to work if you love trendy fashion. Has room to grow. Only work here if you’re wanting a transition job. The discount is amazing but with low pay, it equals out to what you would pay for clearance or sale items. Huge turnover.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Micromanaging, short breaks

Typical retail sales associate job

You don’t get paid a high wage but the hours are predictable and the employee discount is good. My manager was very kind and helped me with any issues I had and even celebrated my birthday in the back room with a cupcake. Great summer job for teens for the experience but not for people who need work-life balance.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Great first job for extra money

My particular location was not student friendly, I got reprimanded for getting sick with a virus and having to call out, and for driving in the snow and spinning out my car. I was still expected to be there. There is not really any opportunity for advancement at my location either. Breaks were optional for me and the managers beneath the Assistant and Store Manager, so good luck with having a meal on your 8-10 hour shift. My managers did not contribute to helping clean the store and would often give orders while sitting in the back office on their phones. This caused us to stay later until 11pm to even nearly 1am on holidays to clean the store.

Pros

Great co workers and most customers were very nice.

Cons

nearly no breaks, management does not help in teamwork, closing is very long.

Great for Highschoolers

It definitely is a job for the younger crowd if you're starting off as a sales associate, but the people here are friendly and for the most part helpful too.

Great

Great. What can I complain about? Great great. Awesome even. Best ever. Why wouldn't anyone else ever want to work in such a great place with great employees.

Fast-paced, nice discount, poor culture

You only get a 15 minute break, closing shifts run until 10 or 10:30pm, and I literally ran the numbers - women and plus size employees were scheduled for closing shifts about 1.5x more than male and straight size employees. Plus size inclusivity is more so at the manager level - at the associate level, they tend to overwork their PS employees to push them out and then hire standard size (i e. thin) employees in their place. I don't mind the hectic fast pace (personally I prefer it) but I wish breaks were longer and closing hours weren't so late. You get a nice discount but given that you only get paid a dollar above minimum, which is way lower than most other stores in the area, it's not really worth it. I still shop at express when they have sales + coupons because I like their clothes, but I would never work in their stores again. You also make no commission on your sales but are still pushed to reach quotas.

Pros

Discount, fast pace, nice clothes

Cons

Not inclusive, long hours/short breaks, low pay, no commission

Common questions about Express

Answered by current and former employees at Express

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight