Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 11, 2018
Enjoyed every minute of employment there. All the employees seem like family and where very helpfull when I needed it. I wish them well and look forwared to working with them again one day
Pros
lived on site.
Cons
There metrics make it hard to move up
Adequate Company
Store Manager) Egg Harbor Twp, NJ (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJDecember 10, 2018
Extra Space Storage is the type of position you work when you are complacent. It is a steady paying job that does have some minimal areas of advancement. They do have potential on-site living arrangements but will significantly stifle your hourly wage without breaking down the removal of living expenses from your compensation package. It is a lot of down time unless you force yourself to do remedial tasks such as pluck weeds. It can get dirty. It is a lot of pests and rodents abundant.
Pros
On Site Living, Always Something to keep you busy
Cons
find yourself being very unproductive doing remedial tasks
Best Place I have Worked!
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 7, 2018
I have worked for some amazing companies but Extra Space is at the top of my list! I love the culture here and feel I get to do my best work every day.
There are always challenges which are good and keeps you learning and growing. They like to promote from within which provides opportunities to do more.
Great experience so far!!
Pros
Work life balance, Culture, Growth
Cons
Always changing
the other workers are nice
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CADecember 1, 2018
workers had great personalities I really didn't mind working there.
It was usually slow at my position but I always had work for the day.
Working there I leaned to use a power washer.
hardest part would be standing on ur feet most of the day but its not that hard for younger people. the most enjoyable part of working there would have to be talking with other people who worked there and riding around in the cart.
WORKING HERE IS ARIGHT. not terrible not great
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2018
Working for ess is ok. you get benefits and the hours are ok. You kind of get tired of the environment because sometimes there are too many difficult people.
Understaffed and Underpaid
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
We were always understaffed, largely due to pay being insufficient for those who have families and children to take care of. Management is out of touch with changes that absolutely MUST be made, and higher-ups are happy to thank you for making them more money while providing valuable team members with 3% raises that don't cover the increase in gasoline (let alone anything else).
Different Strokes
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 13, 2018
It is a entirely different vibe depending which district you land in. Some are more team orientated, others tend to have a backstabbing mentality that sour the experience. DM impress their cultures upon the DTL's, so instead of training new leaders they instead focus on pushing the negatives and using training opportunities for tattletaling. It creates a disconnect between Managers, Assistants and upper leadership teams. The culture also stunts growth opportunities.
Pros
Working hours, Health benefits
Cons
Culture. Lack of inclusive leadership.
Extra Space Storage
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 10, 2018
Monthly bonuses, 50% off units, free if your a manager, Holiday bonuses, Sundays off, hardest part is not having back to back days off, typical day would be assisting customers, renting units, going over rental agreement, cleaning unit,
Cons
hard to advance
Expectations are not balanced by pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  MANovember 7, 2018
This company puts too much pressure on its workers and does not understand its customers. There is a lot done right by the company but in the end, they just need to get out of their own way and let their managers interact with the customers in a natural way. It's just too regimented and artificial.
Pros
Systemitized
Cons
Too restrictive. Poor pay. Awkward relations with customers.
Changing corporate Culture for the worse
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
For the last few years the company has been moving from running each property in teams to by one person per property. Not only does this double the work load for the employees for no increase in pay, but it also risks our safety. We're expected to do repairs on site and could easily injure ourselves and not have anyone notice for hours, and often have to deal with hostile customers. They also have moved away from hiring high caliber people to known drug addicts who are incredibly inappropriate to the customers and fellow employees.
Not what I thought it would be
AM (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 5, 2018
I was employed for almost 6 months . I was let go because one of the managers at one location I worked at would use the camers to spy on me and report it to the DM. They other store I worked at never had a problem. I'm a very hard worker. Which this job is not for the person that doesn't want to get dirty. You dobalot of cleaning and your helping customers with purching units. I was told by the DM he is letting me go because I did not clock out for a break . I explained that you get 2 ...15 minutes. You don't have to clock out. I was told that I can have my phone on listing to radio...etc...I was let go I believe the manger set out to look for anything in a video to get me in trouble..funny thing the DM had nothing to say on job porformance. Just can't take a break off clock and can't have your phone on even listing to radio. Just never got a warning nothing..Just was told I violated policy.
Extra Space Storage
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSOctober 28, 2018
It was very relaxed. Slow at times, but an easy job. I enjoyed it. The hardest part was working outside on cold or rainy days. I would recommend working here for the benefits and support system.
Excellent Company with great Culture and work-life balance
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2018
The Management team at Extra Space continue to inspire and motivate employees. The company is a young company that continues to grow and thrive in retail. It is not your traditional retail. Storage gets busy during the summer hours and their slow season is winter. No Black Friday or Xmas Holiday madness because, its storage. However, there is a still a loyal following of customers and business is booming in the industry. Company has very low turn-over because the company has great leaders that work with their employees. Many slower locations may have ASMs or SMs working alone some days however, it is not very stressful and the company still allows employees to take their lunch breaks. Simply place a sign that you will return and the time. If you walk the site or attend to a customer need you can place a sign with the store number and it will route the call to the employee in site. Hours are from 9:30am-6pm and about 95% of the locations are closed on Sundays. Great work life balance. Great company with awesome leaders who are not afraid to pull up their sleeves and work on the floor alongside the employees. There are no chips on anyone's shoulders here, they all work together to complete their tasks and help out their customers. Great culture, great benefits
Pros
Great Culture, benefits, work-life balance. Great leadership
Cons
Some times you work alone but other than that, not much more.
No Overtime
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 6, 2018
Extra Space has some great employees. They do not allow over time and make you leave early when you get it. You and one other person is responsible for maintaining, renting, paperwork, delinquent calls, etc. Pay is decent. There are weekly meetings to talk to all the stores in the district about their numbers. You come in early but then have to cut that time throughout the week. The benefits are OK, health & dental is VERY expensive. The training is good and the company really tries to embed what they want you to do on a daily basis. The company sometimes has very unrealistic goals for the stores and they expect too much. You get a half for lunch, hours are 930-6M-F 9-530. Sat. You can’t have Saturday off, you have to use Personal time off(PTO). You also get no sick time. You have to use your PTO instead. The company has some great people, but the hours are too long, they don’t pay you enough for what they expect you to do, and there is no overtime. If you want something steady with A LOT of down time doing nothing or doing waaay to much then they might be for you.
Pros
Great people, decent pay, good sales experience
Cons
Long boring hours, expect too much, corporate’s disconnected with sales process
Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAOctober 6, 2018
New to the company, but have given all the room to grow, develop the skills and increase the leadership.Management is cooperative, Pay is good for the startup to sustain.Plenty of option for career growth. Good Trainer and leaders. Lots of training option to reinforce the skills. Proud to be a part of the company.
Pros
Career growth path, best training module, experienced trainer and leaders.
Cons
Only Saturday is mandatory for work.
Pushing 5 years
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 4, 2018
You will have a pretty consistent schedule. Sundays off, unless you work at one of the few stores that is open Sunday. Management has tight communication and friendly. There is no micro management. You will work with one to three others depending on store size. There is room for growth within the company as long as you are willing to relocate.
Pros
apartments for Store manager( some locations)
Great fast paced place to work with room for growth.
Assistant Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 4, 2018
Working at the site level. one of the best places I have worked in retail. They take the time to train you right. Has a great company culture and work life balance. Pay could be better for an REIT company. They like to hire internally so lots of room for growth if you prove yourself.
Pros
Random contest to receive cash cards.
Cons
Needs better pay and benefits package. ie stock options, tuition reimbursement for site level
Fast paced and captivating
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNOctober 4, 2018
I find myself moving around the property often. I can be outside if I want to be. There are daily tasks that make the work day easy to follow. Getting to work with people is always great.
Great, Rewarding Job If You Put The Effort In
District Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
Extra Space is an amazing place to work. I started when I was 22 and for a 22 year old to hold a job for (currently) 6 years that's saying something. You work at a location with one other person. It's a site manager and an assistant site manager. Work is spread evenly, and Extra Space believes in making sure the employees are happy and taken care of which in return will have the employees provide great customer service. Employees get the sense of pride at site level because it's encouraged for them to maintain the property. They have a high level of cleanliness which is important since customers are storing their belongings. There is room for growth in the company, but you must put in your time, provide results in the metrics, have the initiative to complete tasks without many reminders.
Pros
Great work/life balance, able to work as a team as well as alone, sense of pride, able to make a difference, growth, positive work environment.
Cons
sometimes follow-ups are missed, coverage issues, aggressive metrics to obtain
Extra Space
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLOctober 3, 2018
Extra Space you work alone most of the time and asst. managers travel to different location due to never have enough help.
I was hired for a certain location but I'm there only to cover the managers day off. I get put in surrounding locations up to 4 different one in a week. I took the job so I didn't have to travel or work alone.
Pros
40 hour work weeks and no nights. 9:30-6:00 M-F, 9-5:30 Sat.
Cons
No overtime you must take a longer lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight