Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

No Overtime
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 6, 2018
Extra Space has some great employees. They do not allow over time and make you leave early when you get it. You and one other person is responsible for maintaining, renting, paperwork, delinquent calls, etc. Pay is decent. There are weekly meetings to talk to all the stores in the district about their numbers. You come in early but then have to cut that time throughout the week. The benefits are OK, health & dental is VERY expensive. The training is good and the company really tries to embed what they want you to do on a daily basis. The company sometimes has very unrealistic goals for the stores and they expect too much. You get a half for lunch, hours are 930-6M-F 9-530. Sat. You can’t have Saturday off, you have to use Personal time off(PTO). You also get no sick time. You have to use your PTO instead. The company has some great people, but the hours are too long, they don’t pay you enough for what they expect you to do, and there is no overtime. If you want something steady with A LOT of down time doing nothing or doing waaay to much then they might be for you.
Pros
Great people, decent pay, good sales experience
Cons
Long boring hours, expect too much, corporate’s disconnected with sales process
Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAOctober 6, 2018
New to the company, but have given all the room to grow, develop the skills and increase the leadership.Management is cooperative, Pay is good for the startup to sustain.Plenty of option for career growth. Good Trainer and leaders. Lots of training option to reinforce the skills. Proud to be a part of the company.
Pros
Career growth path, best training module, experienced trainer and leaders.
Cons
Only Saturday is mandatory for work.
Pushing 5 years
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 4, 2018
You will have a pretty consistent schedule. Sundays off, unless you work at one of the few stores that is open Sunday. Management has tight communication and friendly. There is no micro management. You will work with one to three others depending on store size. There is room for growth within the company as long as you are willing to relocate.
Pros
apartments for Store manager( some locations)
Great fast paced place to work with room for growth.
Assistant Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 4, 2018
Working at the site level. one of the best places I have worked in retail. They take the time to train you right. Has a great company culture and work life balance. Pay could be better for an REIT company. They like to hire internally so lots of room for growth if you prove yourself.
Pros
Random contest to receive cash cards.
Cons
Needs better pay and benefits package. ie stock options, tuition reimbursement for site level
Fast paced and captivating
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNOctober 4, 2018
I find myself moving around the property often. I can be outside if I want to be. There are daily tasks that make the work day easy to follow. Getting to work with people is always great.
Great, Rewarding Job If You Put The Effort In
District Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
Extra Space is an amazing place to work. I started when I was 22 and for a 22 year old to hold a job for (currently) 6 years that's saying something. You work at a location with one other person. It's a site manager and an assistant site manager. Work is spread evenly, and Extra Space believes in making sure the employees are happy and taken care of which in return will have the employees provide great customer service. Employees get the sense of pride at site level because it's encouraged for them to maintain the property. They have a high level of cleanliness which is important since customers are storing their belongings. There is room for growth in the company, but you must put in your time, provide results in the metrics, have the initiative to complete tasks without many reminders.
Pros
Great work/life balance, able to work as a team as well as alone, sense of pride, able to make a difference, growth, positive work environment.
Cons
sometimes follow-ups are missed, coverage issues, aggressive metrics to obtain
Extra Space
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLOctober 3, 2018
Extra Space you work alone most of the time and asst. managers travel to different location due to never have enough help.
I was hired for a certain location but I'm there only to cover the managers day off. I get put in surrounding locations up to 4 different one in a week. I took the job so I didn't have to travel or work alone.
Pros
40 hour work weeks and no nights. 9:30-6:00 M-F, 9-5:30 Sat.
Cons
No overtime you must take a longer lunch
If you want work/life balance, this is the place to be!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2018
If you're looking for a place that would give you a work / life balance, this would be it. 40 hour work weeks ( they do not encourage overtime), Sunday's off, very accommodating with PTO, and you get to work with some really great people. Probably the best job I've had in the last 15 years!
Pros
Good training, good people, ound it. Culture is fantastic. Upper management is very positive and helpful.
Cons
None that I can think of other than no light colored uniform shirts for the summer!
Enjoy Working for Extra Space Storage
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MOOctober 3, 2018
Working at Extra Space is great! We work really hard an always have plenty to keep us busy. I love coming into work every day and tackling whatever the day has in store. Extra Space is one of the most welcoming and friendly working environments I've ever worked in.
Pros
Great team and explosive growth, love the people I work with
Cons
Work regular hours on Saturday, wish it was a half day
Overall great place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 3, 2018
I like working at Extra Space, it can get a little hectic sometimes and some customer's can be rude but overall I have no complaints.I have been here a year and plan on being here many more.
Pros
Bonuses, incentives
Cons
9:30 to 6:00 takes up your whole day
Great culture and work life balance
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2018
It's a fast-paced environment that requires hard work and motivation but there is a a fantastic work life balance that keeps employees motivated and happy. The people at the company are amazing and although it's a large company, the culture feels more like a small company in that everyone wants to get to know each other and interact on a daily basis.

In marketing, (can't speak for other departments) the work is innovative and interesting and the company provides opportunities for learning and growth.
Pros
Work life balance, on-site gym
Cons
Large company can be bureaucratic (jump through a lot of hoops)
Great company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 3, 2018
I love working for Extra Space Storage. We have a strong work family relationship. Every one is supportive and caring. Big emphasis on team work. Pretty decent benefits. Great starting pay.
Pros
compensation, friendly work enviroment
Cons
medical coverage is kind of expensive
Work For Extra Space!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 3, 2018
This a good company to work for, nice benefits and options of advancements and relocation. When you work in the city, you deal with a faster pace and lots of tenants. It's not hard to stay productive at work.
Pros
Consistent productivity & bonuses upon performance.
Cons
Working in a facility in the city, the tenants can be very difficult. Makes it easy for you to lose patience and become stressed out.
Extra Space Storage
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INOctober 2, 2018
Extra Space Storage is a Great place to work! They work with any situation that may arise, the team will pull together to help where needed. They acknowledge their employees and help where you need them to. They do not focus on if your behind, they focus on how they can help you rise above or what they can do to help. They do not Micromanage unless you need them to. They are always congratulating you when a job well done is in need and always letting you know where your at!
Pros
Bonuses, advancement opportunities, Great team to work with
Cons
Benefits are a bit expensive with cost of living on arise wages are staying
Extra Space is a Great Company
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 2, 2018
Extra Space Storage hires amazing people so there are many great people you get to work with and learn from here. There are interesting and complicated problems to be solved which keeps me engaged. They invest in me and my colleagues by sending us to relevant conferences and trainings for us to learn and grow.

I would like it if there were more fun things to do at the corporate office like a ping pong table or a gaming system. This might not seem important to others but I think it's important to take a break for a few minutes to help refresh yourself.

Also, senior management has been wanting to help employees understand that they don't need a title change/promotion in order to receive raises. I hope that continues to be something that they push here as the employees continue to strive to do their best.
Pros
Engaging work, fun activities, great culture, awesome people, free soda
Cons
No ping pong table
Great Culture
District Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 2, 2018
Extra Space Storage has a great culture. There are many companies that talk about caring for employees, but at this company the associates are truly recognized as an asset and not just a number. The work itself is challenging enough to keep you engaged, but not so tough that there is a high level of stress. One of the best aspects of managing a storage facility is the fact that you never stop learning! Training and support is also phenomenal. I would recommend Extra Space Storage as a place to work to anyone who wants a challenging work environment with a company that truly cares.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
salary
6 months in
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Belmont, CAOctober 1, 2018
I am in my first 6 months and I enjoy working for Extra Space. My plan is to become a live on site SM or DTL so I can provide a better life for my children. This job is a great job, its not too difficult, but not too easy. Its takes a lot of common sense and patience. There are good and bad days with customers. I have been trying to learn as much as I can from my SM we spend a lot time on the phone because I have been to 3 other sites besides my home site covering and help out when needed. The hard part of my job today is being alone and not know the policies to help the tenants. The most enjoyable thing about my job is helping new opps become tenants and getting to know a little about them before they move in.
Pros
Learning from the vets of the company
Cons
Medical a little expensive
We work hard, but we have fun as well.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAOctober 1, 2018
I have been with the company about 6 months, if I ever have any questions and I am not able to find the answer I can call anyone and they have no problem answering my question or helping if I need it. I would highly recommend this company to anyone including family and friends.
Pros
friendly Management, pay, supportive.
Extra space is great
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2018
I've enjoyed the culture at extra space and have been impressed with how helpful everyone is. I would recommend extra space and think it's a great place to work.
Pros
Culture, talented coworkers, opportunities
Cons
Comp
Highschool was better
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 30, 2018
Better hope you like a "teachers pet" environment. Management plays favorites and gossips like 13 year olds. No advancement and the pay is horrible, the pay is basically a glorified janitor position.
Pros
Medical, vision, pto
Cons
Ceo, all of corporate. They gossip about employees. The DTL’s and the DLM’s

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight