Extra Space Storage Employee Reviews

Lots of stress for little pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 20, 2019
Lots of stress with terrible compensation. Tons of break ins no basic staff help. They make you do things so they don't have to pay to have professionals do it. They also bribe everyone a couple times a year to leave good reviews about the company to make them look better.
Pros
Good dental
Cons
Forced to take hour lunches without pay, clean human waste
The company is only for itself
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 19, 2019
The company Is only For itself and its prophets! The employees get uniforms compte by the company but But we don't get what's called a bonus we get very little they raise the stakes for us to get a bonus and then they cut it in half and then cut it in half again. The pay is really low people getting hired today are getting paid more than the employees that have been with the company longer. And any kind of raise that you get is in the cents not dollars.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Pay
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 18, 2019
I love my job at Extraspace, we have a great team that works really hard to handle our customers concerns and make sure everyone and everything is taken care at time of rental. We are trained on how to handle customers concerns and always provide excellent customer service
Pros
Time off, pay, training
Only good job for in between jobs.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 14, 2019
I been with the company for three years. They says that they care about you and the customer..... the customers are always right and the loosely follow their company code. It is the same job day in and day out.
Pros
Meeting nice people
Cons
Everything else
It could be better
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 6, 2019
It could be better if upper management got trialing on how to be in management. Some DMs are very rude like mine. There is also favoritism and the job is boring because they are so specific about how they want you to do it. Otherwise they target you and fire you. You have to be robot like almost. It feels like you are in a cult almost.

They make you clean a lot and they also make you use your own car and sometimes your personal cell phone.
Also feels like they want to get rid of all the long term employees.
Pros
Set schedule 40 hours
Cons
Not overtime and too strict on time off
not worth it
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 1, 2019
you are given sub par training thrown out into the stores sometimes having never been to a particular location and expected to know every little detail. you make one minor mistake you are given no chances for correction you are immediately written up or fired. lots of things to do on a daily basis and then thrown more stuff to complete on top of an already busy schedule. you are expected to do the work of a property manager at assistant manager pay for years on end. Bonus structure is better. Given unrealistic numbers for company goals. care more about hitting goals than taking care of the customer. 2 to 10 cent raise once yearly. promised growth and advancement but takes years to complete all the extra work that must be completed before promotability. its like being in high school all over again everyone talking trash behind each others backs gossiping and telling lies to better themselves.
Pros
none nothing work the headache
Cons
atmosphere, pay, training, duties
Excellent company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 26, 2019
Really good company, promotes Internal growth, work life balance, and it’s a not a typical desk job. Lost weight, enhanced the customer service and deescalation experience and always had help
Pros
Guaranteed full time hours
Cons
30 min lunch break should be an hour
Just ok
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 23, 2019
The job is easy to the tune of being boring. It's fine if you don't have an abundant background in experience or education, otherwise it gets stale. The work hours are strictly 40 hours a week with little opportunity for overtime. They promote from within even when it means the person they promote isn't qualified to managing teams or procedures. You get dirty with cleaning and sweeping but you would get too bored if you didn't try to find anything to do just to do something.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Stale
Great Place To Work
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2019
I have been with the company for the last 6 years , I started out as an Assistant and became a manager . The hardest part of the job was getting in contact with tenants for past due payments. The most enjoyable thing before we received new management was not being micro managed. I loved my last two District Managers before the one that finally took over. I did not like the fact that it was passed on by two employees down to myself how he was trying to get rid of me and one time I even overheard him say it to my last assistant because he was put on speaker. They talk about integrity but he came in showing favoritism to certain employees
great people
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 6, 2019
Very good managers.and family type atmosphere.
Pay was fair
Days off and schedules were consistent
Benefits seemed reasonable
Atmosphere for success was good
attainable goals were set
Don’t believe the hype
District Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2019
Ok step 1: Extra Space manipulates reviews by having a company wide contest to submit reviews on all review sites. Look at Sept and Oct of 2018 - you’ll find a vast amount of 5 star reviews many on the same days - The rest of the year you’ll notice a normal flow and a much different score. So imagine the rating currently is 3.6 overall- What if those 80-100 false reviews didn’t exist? Ahhh you’re getting the picture now. I find that looking at competitors like Prime Storage gives you a mor accurate look. Ok so yes the schedule is pretty amazing - Job can be super easy - You also work with some decent people.... And I agree to some that may be all you really need. Unfortunately for me, What have I learned? #1 you will not get promoted if you work in the field- Think about any cell phone retail store salesman + a manager at 1 of those title loan cash advance places = Thats you at Extra Space if you work inside a store. Even if you take Full ownership and run consistent good numbers- You’re just a salesman - Salesman don’t run companies! they sell and work the front line. You’ll hear alot of positive and consistent talk of growth, but you’ll see with time that sure theres people from other parts of the country and in some cases even a clueless employee from the corporate office got promoted To above field. But with time you’ll relize that this is just a Supervisors school boy crush OR the good ol boys club. What to expect - as an Asst Mgr you’ll make aprox $14 an hour - max of 40 hours - $ .25 or less a year raise (low $30k) - Store manager aprox $16-$18 (same raises) low $36-$40.  more... You may think right now that retail or restaurants are working you to death etc - But you gotta understand that your ruining your resume - Extra Space on resume prepares you for nothing- Is $40k max all you’ll need for the rest of my life?? Family? Kids? House? Holidays? Vehicle break downs? Unexpected debts/problems? - This company preaches people, people, people, but the above unit management in place all come from the outside or are simply unqualified- None of them understand Customer Service, Sales, and most importantly People. Your job is to make them look good, thats it. If you happy with that work at ESS. I put a lot of thought into this review to help - Please take time to thank about your future and how your choices will guide you.  less
Pros
Easy Job - Relaxed atmosphere - Learning leases / Contracts
Cons
Upper management is trash - Insecure, ignorant, no integrity
Great environment, good pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
The work environment was welcoming and the pace of growth was always fast paced. Staff was encouraged to promote themselves to higher positions as soon as they felt they were ready and were recommended by their supervisor. Although the environment was welcoming sometimes it would become too friendly. The pay was good but the pay could have been better considering the COLA status in NYC.
Pros
great advancements without much timeframe
Waste of time and energy
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2019
This company is growing but not in a good way. Make sure you ask if you will be in a corporate store or a managed store. The difference is crucial to your success. The size of the property does not amount to more or less pay but its important to know because you will be the one cleaning it...By your self. You are essentially a glorified janitor. You will be expected to sell insurance and products without any commission.
The customers are desperate and will do desperate things. You will hardly know your co workers and there is constant change in leadership. The culture under the new CEO is that of corporate greed who prey on the misfortune of low income people. Most properties are old and falling appart they get a paint job every couple of years but not much else. You will be accountable for working miracles in these old places. If you still desire to work here at least apply for the manager position it's one and the same but you get a slightly bigger bonus from time to time.
Pros
Work schedule 9:30 to 6:00 pm Sundays Off
Cons
You will work alone most of the time
Getting worse every day
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sugar Hill, GAJanuary 23, 2019
I was dedicated to this company for 3 years. I recently got a new district manager who did not like me for reasons unknown. I’ve never had issues with anyone. He had it out for me and I eventually was let go. Ive seen this happen to other managers as well. Hardworking people are terribly mistreated. They do regular secret shops in person and on the phone to make sure you’re following their “process”. They also cut staffing so I was alone 90% of the time and expected to maintain an unreasonably clean facility while juggling customers and constant maintainence issues. They also require you to get 9 google reviews per month b/c they are too cheap to advertise. Asking someone you just met to review you is very uncomfortable. It was not so bad when I started and then rapidly went down hill when a new CEO came into play. They have very high expectations and are truly the definition of corporate greed. I think they’re trying to phase out the people with higher pay and pay the new hires less. If you value your sanity, do not apply for this company. Getting fired was the best thing that could’ve happened.
Pros
Generous PTO, most stores closed on Sundays, benefits, Hsa, 401K match
Cons
Unreasonable standards, working alone, expect you to be corporate robots, if they don’t like you, you’re screwed
Lots of work, very little money
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 23, 2019
Most of the time you are working alone, and have a multitude of different things you are responsible for. This includes doing a daily lock check, vacating and cleaning units, cleaning restrooms, taking payments in person and over the phone etc. The district manager over this area is relatively new and likes to micro manage every little thing that goes on at the property instead of letting managers manage. While they advertise the job as a "sales" job, in reality it is mostly a janitorial job with no real advancement opportunities.
Alot expected with low pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Rentals,collections and cleaning..lots of cleaning. I learned to cut locks and the process to maintain a extra space facility and its not easy ..they have a very high expectation with sales. It has a very diverse environment. The hardest part of the job is getting promoted from with in. Higher management has its close circle on things and will micromanage you, your schedule and promotion... they say you are not a insurance agent yet they expect you to sale insurance with every rental if you don't you will be seeing this in your annual review as negative and make it part of your raise . The most enjoyable part of this job was the relationship i build with the people/co workers i worked with and your customers.
Pros
they provide uniforms
Cons
low pay with very high expectations as sales and collection agent.
generally good company, need to be political to advance
Property/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80910January 16, 2019
company transfered me to newly aquired facility and had no intention of improving. left me on my own, promised bonus but never paid, claimed loop hole after insuring my bonus for months leading to payday. otherwise took care of facilities that were in better areas.
Pros
little supervision and trusted me to perform duties.
Cons
management was absent.
N/a
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
Trained and managed associates in customer service and sales techniques.
Processed payments for credit and debit cards and returned the proper change for cash transactions. Generated repeat business through exceptional customer service and responded to customer concerns with friendly and knowledgeable service.
Completed all daily tasks and special assignments with an efficient and quality-driven approach. Recognized problem areas and effectively reduced errors to increase profit margins.
Conducted store inventories once per quarter.
Handled all customer relations issues in a gracious manner and in accordance with company policies.
N/a
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2019
Great Company to work for but no career advancement options. District Managers are very poor with their knowledge of the proper fit for the stores and overall hiring process left up to their DTL employees who ride the clock and don't do much as far as their position goes.
Pros
Benifits/ pay
Cons
Poor District managers
Na
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 9, 2019
Easy interview for those who are great with people, self motivated, and creative thinkers. Hours are great. People u work wit are awesome. It can get difficult but there's little stress really
Cons
Angry customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extra Space Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight