ExxonMobil Employee Reviews

Found 1,848 reviews matching the search See all 2,305 reviews
Good work life balance in general
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 3, 2018
Great work life balance! 8 weeks parental time off! Compensation is fair. Very old school ranking system that works well if you're good at politics. Good people in general. Workplace flexibility (depending on your supervisor).

If you're looking at ExxonMobil for an IT job, understand that ExxonMobil is very weak from a technology standpoint. They put only a very small amount of value on IT skills. Technical development is low priority. IT is viewed generally as a liability. (There are a few exceptions to this, but in general this is true). ExxonMobil is interested in developing managers of IT people, not actual IT people who have skills.

It's a great company, but if you're an IT person looking to work here, understand that ExxonMobil is VERY weak at developing IT professionals.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
old school ranking system. Weak IT culture.
A solid company with excellent benefits and great managers
Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2018
Great company to work for. Great people, great values, great benefits, and big believers and supporters of career development. People can always find things to complain about but if you were raised with the values to be hard working and thankful for good opportunities there is nothing to complain about here. I only left because of a personal matters that were beyond my control but which required my full time to take care of.
Pros
You can have a great career if you work hard, can work well with others, can add value.
Cons
You better be good at office politics if you want to advance up the ladder very far
Great benefits, terrible place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  KansasDecember 1, 2018
The Good:
The job itself is easy, and the pay/benefits are great. This is the only reason I have stayed with this company for as long as I have.

The schedule we work is great, allows for a lot of time off without using too many vacation days.

The Bad:
Management leaves a lot to be desired. There is a lot of favoritism, and if you aren't a favorite you get treated terribly. There aren't many chances for advancement, but those who are chosen for advancement aren't chosen based on merit, but on how friendly they are with management.
Pros
Easy job, Good pay and benefits
Cons
Terrible management
Never work at a gas station period.
Night Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, VAAugust 23, 2018
Management thinks they know better, Third shift cannot and will not be covered if you are sick, so come in on your hospital bed and spread your disease on the food you are forced to prepare because morning shift kitchen staff doesn't show, but still has a job. Night shift is left to pick up the slack from first and second shifts. No raises, ever, no benefits to speak of, and allow women to work alone at night with no help. Tasks are overwhelming, no way in the world you can get all the stuff done alone with customers all night long. It is one of the worst jobs I have worked in over 20 years.
Not what it appears
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 27, 2018
This company is so full of bias. They promote safety but sweep everything under the rug when something happens. They force employees to participate in a safety program that is only on paper. They require excess overtime, working 13 on and 1 off. The management has no clue of the company policy and procedure and therefore make up what they think is the best. Culturally, there is a diverse workforce, but contrarily, there is a large amount of reverse discrimination. The only enjoyable part of this job was the pay and the hardest part was dealing with inept management.
Pros
Only the money and benefits
Cons
Excess overtime, reverse discrimination, no true commitment by management to safety
Many Cultures not as uniform as one might think
Engineering Contact Lead (Former Employee) –  HOUSTON, TXNovember 14, 2018
XOM has many subsidiaries and each one of them has its own sub-culture. Upstream seems to be more relaxed and better paid than downstream. Corporate engineering function in downstream is very competitive and functions under a Good Ol’ Boy Network approach. It’s not what you know but who you know for advancement and promotions. Differences of rationalized opinions are often perceived as challenge to status quo, dismissed, and cause for punishment during performance reviews. Culture is grounded on the use of catch phrases used by top managament and subsequently used by mid-level managers and the like. Many mid level managers and leads are technically incompetent. However, they play the game and are praised as valuable resources. Too much burocracy, paper work, and useless check lists and initiatives. The pay is great but at some point everything else starts to weigh in more. If playing by someone elses rules, blindly following directions with no regard for understanding, this is the place for you.
Pros
Access to a lot of technical information
Cons
Too much burocracy, incompetent leadership, useless initiatives
Sky was the limit
Advanced Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2018
I started at ExxonMobil right out of college. They will fast track you through various job exposure assignments if you are marked for leadership. I also had many opportunities to travel abroad and experience a true global organization. The company is so large that there are plenty of opportunities in all aspects of business to explore and learn from.
Pros
Large-scale global enterprise. Competitive pay & benefits
Cons
Large company politics.
Workshift
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 4, 2018
The store management is employee/customer friendly like family. The job is located at an international airport area and excellent for developing multi-cultural customer service.
The customer service is simple. When each customer meets you, treat them with respect and dignity and let them lead the communication process. For example: Japanese prefer little/none conversation with a smile vs Spaniards prefer small talk with a smile during cash transactions.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
No benefits and paid vacation
Good place to work, knowledgeable employees
Senior Project Track Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2018
Good place to work, smart and friendly personnel, opertunities for advancement secure work environment, knowledgeable management, good benefits, ExxonMobil is a major energy company and has possibilities for anyone with desire and drive to succeed.
Pros
Great training program
Pays well, but not a good fit culturally for everyone.
HOUSTON AREA OPERATIONS TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
ExxonMobil is a good company, but is not a good fit for everyone. They pay well, but their performance assessment structure does not foster team work or collaboration. If you are tolerant of bureaucracy and things moving slow then you will be OK. Most stay for the good pay and benefits, but afraid those are the highlights.
Pros
Pays well. Good benefits.
Cons
Archaic performance assessment program that hinders innovation and team work.
Expirence
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TXNovember 24, 2018
My experience working there has been learning. I have had to professionalize in customer service, learn to work at a quick flow of customers so a stressful or fast pace environment. Inventory management and reconcile of cash flow.
Pros
Teaches you about managing your till or money
Cons
One 15min break through your 8 hour shift, no benefits
I liked working here , it was fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Federal Heights, COSeptember 5, 2018
Over worked and I still enjoyed my job.no benefits and I had no outside life from my job. It all depends on who the operator is . I loved staying busy and enjoyed the customers whom came inside. I had no management above me who was able to help much so I learned alot of the business myself. I enjoyed and respected my boss but he was unable to be there at all for my time there.
Pros
Cons
No benefits
Highly Skilled and Intelligent Peers
Project Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2018
Typical day includes multiple meetings with cross functional teams with an innovative and project-driven focus. Safety is the pinnacle of the work culture. Matrix management structure to foster cross-functional networking and collaboration for team-driven success.
Must be willing to travel frequently, both domestically and globally.
Must be open to relocate to Houston,TX as some point during your career. Most enjoyable aspect were the driven and intelligent colleagues that continuously foster innovation. Competitive work environment with generous compensation.
High paced very competative culture great for younger employees
Environmental Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 2, 2018
ExxonMobil is a great company for a very energetic and highly skilled person who is wanting to make their mark in the corporate world. It is a difficult place for families as the dedication required to succeed will come before anything else in your life.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Very Competative and Cut Throat
hostile work place in the lab
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Macedon, NYNovember 2, 2018
Good benefits but terrible Management. Way to much red tape. Very difficult to complete an easy task without having to get the permission of several managers who have no clue what the job entails.
Pros
I have had very good example of what a bad boss is like
Cons
These bad managers move up the ladder...
Decent place to work with management who genuinely cared
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAAugust 14, 2018
Working for Exxon could get stressful, but overall was a decent place to work. Management genuinely concerned about the employees and very accommodating. I would definitely work there again.
Pros
Decent pay, decent hours, set schedule, discounts
Cons
No benefits and no opportunity for advancement
Competitive salary and vacation policy
Senior Staff Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2018
The Salary was competitive. Coming in as an experienced hire I received 3 weeks of vacation. I did not enjoy occasional shift work in later years. My last position was off-shored to Malaysia
Pros
Competitive salary and vacation policy
Cons
Off-shoring my duties to Malaysia
Not terrible not great
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 31, 2018
This can be a good place for you if you like oil & gas but I would recommend getting out early if you don't.

Work in uninteresting, staff is not very diverse and work hours are long and constant.

Pay and benefits are great.
Pros
High salary, great benefits
Cons
Long work hours, uptight corporate culture, not interesting work
Amazing Company and Culture
Intern in the Demand Forecasting Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2018
This is a place that will test your abilities to their limits. I worked with the most competent and capable people that I have ever met. The company has amazing salary and benefits, but they expect you to be the best at what you do. Great opportunities to grow professionally through mentors and training.
Pros
State of the art Campus.
Conservative Company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
ExxonMobil treats employees very well when it comes to benefits and compensation. The vacation policy is old compared to many companies today. You get 2 weeks starting out then 3 weeks at 5yr anniversary, 4 weeks at 10yrs, 5 weeks at 20 Yr and 6 weeks at 30 years.

Company culture is very conservative and lacks diversity beyond white men in upper management. Although CEI index is better for LGBTQ people, culture of people don't reflect that score. The company is very structured, process oriented, and resists change which limits creativity. The promotion and evaluation system is not transparent at all and often is a function of how good your relationship is with you boss regardless of the quality of your work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ExxonMobil. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight