EY
65Average
Here to help
Coronavirus update

EY Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA74 reviews
Plenty of opportunity and resources. Great Culture. Up or out promotion model. The Government and Public Sector practice has growing significantly since I joined the firm.
Put in your time, make senior then leave unless you plan to stay and make partner. Winners are losers here because you almost always have to pick up other people's work. People are still getting promoted regardless of low performance and high performers are paid very little more than low performers which makes all the great people leave. No guidance, no appreciation whatsoever!!! It is ALL about the budget and margin and you will be forced to eat hours without being told so directly. Moreover, if you are bad luck, you will be put on the worst client and stuck there or working under manager who is lazy and belittles fellow employee.
Pros
Diversity, resume builder, flexibility, challenging work, great learning curve
Cons
Long hours, bad management, toxic work environment, and pay is way below market
Ernst & Young is a company that promote cultural diversity as well as fomenting a good teamwork environment. It also promotes a flexible work environment as well as promoting a work/life balance.
I have had a fulfilling career over the past twelve years with EY. Their inclusive work culture is exemplary. They gave me opportunities to learn and grow as a financial analyst' to become a leader and an educator in addition to a successful analyst. I am very grateful for their contribution to my professional growth
I have been working at EY for a little under a year and I have mixed feelings about it. Your experience varies greatly depending on what team you are assigned to and how you get along with the people on that team. During normal hours even a bad team can be bearable, but when busy season hits, you do NOT want to be stuck with people who you don't get along with for 13 hours a day 6-7 days a week. The salary is alright, but during busy season you are essentially getting paid minimum wage at the entry level positions. Perk-wise not bad, but nothing to write home about. Overall, I would only recommend this job if you really want the experience and EY brand on your resume, otherwise this is just a pit of despair and sadness.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
The people at EY are very friendly. My coworkers are willing to help. They have a mentoring process to help you grow throughout your career. They have an open door policy.
Like many Big4 firms, you will learn a lot of technical, management, and high level business skills that will offer excellent exit opportunities. The quarterly training is phenomenal.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours, adapting to the fast pace of work and adapting to the many different work styles that you will come across through each assurance team.
An okay place to work. Little investment in personnel knowledge, growth, and upward movement. Lots of affinity groups to participate in. Not a very intellectually nurturing environment.
Great thing about EY is the endless number of opportunities made available to their employees. They really do care about you as a person as opposed to a number. Work/life balance is not great and you are never "done" working - always something you could be working on. Like other big firms, promotions towards the top are pretty political.
Pros
Learning & Development, Diversity, Benefits, PTO (number of days)
Cons
Long hours, very political, no time to actually use PTO
Great place to work with great people. I worked with more than 50 EY professionals throughout my career in EY and didn't have any complained about any of them. Great culture.
In my experience at EY, it's been a fine place to work. Coming in as a staff right out of undergrad for me was very beneficial because most of my coworkers were in the same boat as I was. The people at EY are the company's greatest strength in my opinion. They are for the most part friendly and genuinely want you to succeed in your career and your life. However, the firm is structured in such a way where people are consistently put in pressured environments where they have to work long hours and travel to client sites. This was fine for a while but once you've been there for a few months, you realize that that kind of environment never really stops and has a great chance to burn you out.
Pros
Being able to work remotely on occasion
Cons
Long hours and consistent travel
As you advance in this company, you will receive decent bonuses. However, you will be paid less than your position. Inevitably, every year, there is an ask for pay increases from individuals working way above their position as instructed by senior management but their raises do not reflect such. In addition, people that do work so hard begin to lose the work/life balance that is always discussed and advertised. You will take vacations that are paid, it's the paid factor that you need to pay attention. So many times have I seen individuals take vacations just to crack open their laptops and continue to work on their clients because no one is left in their place to fully take the wheel. So, unless you're out of the country with no service, you will be contacted via email and more frequently phone to work on something. These are little tidbits that one would not know unless you take the leap of faith to work for the company. If you decide to work for EY, I would pay attention to the culture and what the company advertises. Notice any discrepancies or contradictions and really assess if working for the company is really for you. Be honest with yourself and not comfortable with a steady check.
The culture at EY is amazing. I truly felt that I was at home with everyone around me. They are also very inviting to all diversity groups. They have events all the time that help you feel included.
I loved the work culture at Ernst & Young LLP - no doubt it has consistently been described as one of the best companies to work for in the United States.
Alot of great opportunities to grow and gain Knowledge while doing hands projects, i'll definitely recommend to a friend. great work life balance and caring management.
I worked remotely with a group of consultants, and only met my teammates in person twice. From day one, I had no idea what the goals of the group was, or what was my specific role, and it was like pulling teeth to get any information that would've helped me navigate my way. There was no strategic plan.

The performance review was unlike anything I have ever seen in my entire career. Upon completion of a project you have to ask the people with whom you work for their feedback. You are rated by them, and their ratings determine your knowledge, skills and abilities, and I should add, your job security. Demeaning comes to mind, because you have to "grovel" for ratings from people you may have never met in person, you may have not gotten along with, or who had no clue of what you did.

Having said that, I would caution readers that I only worked with a specific group in one service area, so my experience should not be seen as an indictment on the entire firm, but rather on the culture of that "group" with whom worked.
Great opportunities but lack of work-life balance. Requires more people connection and should prioritize employees. Exposure is good. Requires travel.
It's a great firm! So many good things I can say about EY and my time there.

Learning opportunities are ample, Check

Opportunities to work with intelligent, skilled and caring leaders, Check

Biggest client names and Fortune 100 clients on your CV, Check

Opportunities to participate in firm-wide, even industry-wide initiatives, Check

The best people I've ever worked with, Check

Chance to learn, develop and grow into a top advisory professional, Check

...

The list goes on. I didn't make the cut for promotion but I learned so much from my experience. I definitely would encourage anyone interested in Big 4 consulting to apply. There's so many benefits to be gained.

You have to work hard, hours can be grueling of course (True of any Big 4) and there are Cons. IT DOES TRULY BECOME A LIFESTYLE. Small practices are still held to the same metrics/standards as large so you have to work even harder in boutique practices to hit your targets and get promoted. This very hard line performance structure, makes promotions especially to key ranks, like Manager, extremely competitive.

But it's all around one of the best environments to become a seasoned advisory professional and one that ultimately will provide plenty of great exit opportunities if you choose to leave.
Great company and would always recommend it. The culture is great. I learned so much and they have great resources to learn and specialize. Very flexible.
EY is an amazing employer. I have been blessed to work here. I was a stay at home mom reentering the workforce when my kids went to high school. EY took a chance on me and tailored the work hours and experiences around my family and life. All the skills I had as a mother, organizing and project managing lives, translated to my position as a project manager and they believed in me and gave me incredible opportunities to learn, grow, and lead.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at EY. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6K
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at EY.