FBI Employee Reviews

Associate Chief Security Officer
Associate Chief Security Officer (ACSO) 0080-GS-13 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2018
I serviced as a Team Lead/Program Manager for all security disciplines (Personnel, Industrial, Physical, IT/IS and Emergency Management) for more than 10,000 employees and contractors.
Pros
enhanced my knowledge and expertise in security
Cons
very hectic
A very comfortable Environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2018
I went in everyday into the office with other interns and we learned about the different fields that there were and I was very interested on working in the FBI full-time when I graduate in 2020.
Retired FBI Agent, then Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, Pittsburgh, LAOctober 14, 2018
Loved my job, it was just time to retire, or I'd still be there. Very rewarding work. The only downfall is how many times your personal plans get disrupted due to work.
Pros
Salary, benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, always on call 24/7
File Clerk, Typist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2018
Worked 8 hours per day. Learned lots about law and order. Workplace was fast pace. Most enjoyable part of the job was the work and the benefits. Had great management back then.
Fbi
Unit Chief, National Joint Terrorism Task Force (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is the domestic intelligence and security service of the United States, and its principal federal law enforcement agency. Operating under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Justice, the FBI is also a member of the U.S. Intelligence Community and reports to both the Attorney General and the Director of National Intelligence.[3] A leading U.S. counter-terrorism, counterintelligence, and criminal investigative organization, the FBI has jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crimes
Only half the staff works I liked the work.
Digital Imager (Former Employee) –  NycSeptember 30, 2018
Good salary comparatively. Mid management is awful. People at the top treat the field offices as a pit stop. Get so high and then transfer and spend the least amount of time there and retire! Never really accomplishing in that office.
Been there and saw it for over twenty years. Years ago it was different people gave a hoot.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No mid management skills
Healthcare
The was (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2018
Do day and night but see the bust door open now was the letter purportedly help people dangerous now day everyday heroes of their life timeline was to
Pros
Nowhere
Cons
Fight
Mission oriented job
Office Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90024September 28, 2018
My typical work day was eight (8) hours. Due to certain circumstances of my assignment and or company, I may have had to work longer hours than my tour. I was also offered to work additional hours on office specials for the work experience. I was able to bring my knowledge and skills from each position to the next level which proved to be invaluable tools. Each new position came with its challenges and learning curves which I happily took on and overcame. The most enjoyable part of my job as a supervisor was mentoring and working with my staff.
Pros
Mentoring my staff, autonomy to job, healthcare
Honors Intern (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 25, 2018
It honestly is a great place to work. They value balancing you work with family or things going on in life. I left from various reasons, but it is a great place with great people.
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Thank you. This is a fantastic employer. I developed critical skills working here. Fantastic benefits. Great opportunity. The chance to develop. Job security.
Pros
Security
Cons
None.
the police state praetorians
salary and funding scapegoat (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRSeptember 18, 2018
full of paranoid often abusive of national security letters agents,the FBI is perfect for personalities that lack a sense of own personality,sense of self and accomplishment.most of the agents feel an adrenaline rush of superiority investigating cases that never lead to any conviction. color of law is common and group thinking while investigating potential "threats". the FBI agent lacks a sense of individuality regarding ethical issues dealing with a civilians privacy or civil rights. a common joke is this one " you gotta crack some eggs to make an omelette" most of the "preventive" surveillance done on "lone wolf" profiles are highly antagonistic and at the end,they criminalize this character trait that in essence may be just lonely people who have done nothing wrong but having a traumatic life that these privileged agents have never experienced. if you just graduated college and are looking for a place where "justice" is dealt with,the FBI is note the place!, study law and specialize in injury law,that practice is more ethical and fair that these band of "hero and action" guys.or better yet,start a small business,there is more honor in that that working for this ever watchful in paranoia, ego trippers!
Pros
you get a shiny badge to show off to mom and pops and your friends
Cons
you get to work with stupid guys with a lot of power, sounds temptinmg right? you may be the one!
Rico
SCI Personal Security Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2018
Team of 24 peoples that work personal Investigators. Many of things I can't talk about do to policy. High class envoirment that keep things going. Most of all a good place to work at
Poor culture, poor management, poor ethics
Semi-Retired/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 12, 2018
Poor culture, poor management, poor ethics
treats witnesses horribly, poor communication, takes the easy route when developing cases. still in the stone ages in terms of technology resources.
Very proud to have had the oportunity to have been excepted to a very high profile, government agency. To help our country.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2018
A typical day was to have a list of projects, and memos to get prepared for my boss, He knows he can trust me to be loyal, and trustworthy. To set up appointments with F.B.I agents that he called in with High profile information. Work environment was very professional, work as a team, respectful to each other. The hardest part of the job was to make sure I made no mistakes.Most important part of job and enjoyable was to know I was trusted, I knew that if there was a problem, it would be taken care of, and I would be awarded, and would be concerned to become and agent myself.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Strike on being on time, your pay would be docked
Very Interesting Work, despite older technology
Supervisory Program Manager/Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2018
The FBI Special Agents are outstanding, so working with them to support them is very worthwhile; however, the Bureau has a history of limit performance with computers and technology. This is due to the complete reliance upon the Mainframes to the exclusion of other technologies. While there, I was able to build their private cloud and migrate over 100 systems onto the VMWare platform. Everything is classified and/or extremely sensitive. You must have a Top Secret Clearance.
Pros
Working at the FBI
Cons
Working IT at the FBI
Amazing Oppourtunity
Student Workforce Trainee (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VASeptember 4, 2018
Everyone I worked with was absolutely amazing, and it was the most rewarding experience I have ever had. A normal day consisted of working on my project and prepping for classes that came through.
Privilege and an Honor
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 2, 2018
It is a privilege and an honor to serve one’s country. Fight for the betterment of society and of your fellow man. Service to a cause greater than your own.
Amazing place to work in.
Investigative Specialist (GS7/Step1) (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68137August 30, 2018
I loved working with highly skilled and professional people. It was an amazing experience and I'm very thankful to have worked here. I will say that it is very rewarding to have worked for the FBI.
Pros
Amazing Benefits!
Greatest Job in the World
Special Agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2018
Protect the American people and uphold the United States Constitution. This is the mission of the FBI. It is an honor an a privilege of the highest order to work here.
FBI Analyst vs SOS
SOS (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2018
I am currently an FBI SOS (Staff Operations Specialist). I was offered the IA (Intelligence Analyst) but turned it down to keep my SOS position. The difference is that a SOS does TACTICAL analysis and research, whereas an IA reviews trends and other reporting in their Area of Responsibility (AOR). I am glad I chose the SOS position. (As a side note, I know of two other SOSs who declined the IA spot and chose to keep their SOS position).

The IA on my squad reads reporting all day and then compiles a report based on those reports. Snooze....zzzz....I would hate that. Now when you want a deep dive into a subject (where you get paid to be a cyber sleuth/stalker) you ask the SOS. The SOS is your social media researcher and general all purpose analyst.

Sadly, the SOS only goes to a grade 12 and an IA goes to a grade 13. There is talk of eventually moving the SOS up an additional grade, but that can be a ways off. The FBI field offices love the SOS position and collectively the FBI is asking for an additional 500 SOS positions to grow the SOS cadre. Its tough for some IAs, who thought they would be doing tactical analysis, to watch all the tactical inquiries being handed off to the SOS.

In the beginning, the intel positions were created post 9/11 to address the urgent need for organized intelligence collection with a structure that assured sharing with other law enforcement bodies. The SOS position was thought of as an entry level position, aka a stepping stone to the IA or SA position. Just recently the FBI Powers that Be acknowledged that it is actually a "destination
  more... position" for many and to assume that someone wants to use it as a stepping stone to an SA or IA position is sorely mistaken. The SOSs across the Bureau made that abundantly clear as more of them are chosing to stay in the SOS position rather than taken an open IA position (when they have properly applied and gone through the formal IA process. I think a lot of us do it just to show we can.) You do not get offered an IA job when you are an SOS. You have to apply for it like everyone else...just want that to be clear on that.

The SOS class is about 5 weeks long (Its changing, so it could be 4 weeks or maybe 6 weeks, its being revamped at this time.) But like the Special Agent training and the Intelligence Analyst training...the SOS training at Quantico is HIGH STAKES. Meaning if you fail the training you do not get the job. Period.

I love working at the FBI. Its truly is a job like no other. I am excited to go to work and make a difference every day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FBI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight