Fairbanks Native Association

Working at Fairbanks Native Association: 33 Reviews

United States33 reviews

employeemanagementgreatjobworkpaybenefitfna

It had it's highs as much as lows

I did enjoy working here, although management really needs to work on communication with their employees. if that has been fixed then it would be :-d

Literally, the worst company I have ever worked for.

If you have any self respect or dignity, DON'T WORK HERE! I could name so many horrible situations, literally. This place is truly awful. It will leave you empty, unfulfilled, miserable and angry at yourself as well as others. How is that helpful for helping others recover?

Pros

Hourly wage.

Cons

Management, work setting, unknown and unclear job role, little to no training, misery.

Fairbanks Native Association insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

What is the best part of working at the company?paid holidaysWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Management

Flaws

They tend to portray themselves as something that they’re not. They claim they’re family friendly, offer flexible scheduling, help you further your education, etc. This all changes once they have you on board. Upper management lies to fill positions with warm bodies. Turnover rate is astronomical because they treat their employees like they’re disposable.

Interesting engaging place to work

Pay is very good. Staffing matrix allowing for adequate care need coverage and help is good. Some flexibility in shifts is allowed. Great holiday time off.

Great Mission - Poor Follow Thru

I enjoyed my co-workers, their passion and dedication to a job where there is continuous turnover and poor pay. The benefits package is good, if you can last the year it takes to get to it. The upper management is oblivious to the struggle of the programs they oversee and it is for that reason the turnover is so high. A little appreciation would go a long way.

Pros

Passionate Workers

Cons

Poor Pay and No Appreciation

Training

Wages are low. Confidential info shared during staff meetings is actually not confidential & is reported to the Director. Co-workers are often great.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

High turnover

Poor management and does not care about employees

FNA has horrible management in Early Childhood Department and treats employees terribly. There is constantly people leaving due to this and is a high turn around rate in employees, creating a negative culture throughout the Early Childhood Department. Concerns and questions are never answered and this includes safety, not only safety of employees but of the children served. It is not a place I enjoyed working at or would recommend to anyone, there needs to be more accountability in management and more leaders who stand up for what is fair and right. A lot of things are swept under the rug including harassment in the work place and told to just deal with it for "now."

Cons

Harassment, safety concerns, high turn around, disrespect

A very purpose-driven organization

I've worked at FNA from 2012 to 2020. During that time, the company has experienced a great amount of change and growth and so have I. Working for FNA has been one of the best experiences of my life and I would still be there if I weren't moving out of state.

Benefits

Cons

Ethical decisions by clinicial staff

New employee, have not had the work time input to thoroughly review.

I am comfortable with my job location, the staff and supervisors in charge of the work site. Currently I am continually learning and anxious to become proficient in all aspects of the job. Excellent coworker training included daily. Everyone seems welcoming and inclusive.

Turn over is too high

enjoyed the work and not the lack of consistency. Programs have great potential to deliver services to the community. Turn over rate is too high, leads not consistent in programming.

Productive and hard working work place.

On a typical work day myself and the other youth coordinator would collaborate on ways to do efficient outreach, plan upcoming events, check in on our youth members and if fitting we would run our event. I learned so many amazing tactics and skills on how to work with youth. Management was difficult because it was always changing. The hardest part of the job was learning all of the grant requirements. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work so hands on with all of the youth.

Pros

work functions, Pto, overtime, schedule

Cons

management was always changing.

I liked my job

On a typical day it was good I took care of young adults. I learned a lot I went from a TOC RA to a counselor. some times the hardest part of my job was working with the staff and sometimes the lack of management.

Lots of management issues

Management allows discourse and no real career path. Management is unclear and don't care about employees. Limit ability to grow and you are either accepted as a Native or not. The organizations are supposed to offer services for all in FNSB, but this is not the focus. You are treated worse if you are not Native.

fun working with different people and having lunches with staff.

I worked in HR, filed, typed, data entry, faxed, entered employees data into their new system. Arranged drug testing, testing for new clients, set up interviews in conference room, hand out new hire packets, assist where needed.

Pros

time off when over 80 hrs.

Cons

Great idea, hard to actualize

The organization prides themselves on being Native first, but are not so in conducting business that either reflects on their consumers or on their employees. Upper management is not up to par with comparable organizations.

Horrible place to work!!!

This organization uses you and then fires you for no reason. Management cannot be trusted! Native management team is very racist towards anyone non native. We (non native staff) had to attend community meetings where the attendees were able to use racial slurs! The executive director and behavioral heath director are both uneducated babbling jokes!

Enjoyable place to work, mediocre benefits

I really loved working for FNA, but the benefits are expensive, and many of the HR policies are stingy. The pay is also very low for the work. Which is sad, because the work that FNA does is wonderful and needed in the Fairbanks community. Direct management is great, but upper management doesn't seem to trust lower level workers, possibly because we receive almost no training.

Pros

Opportunity to help people

Cons

Expensive benefits, lack of support from upper management, very little training

Horrible place to work

The job it self was good but all management and lots of employees were very rude mean nasty and half were on drugs themself pretty bad it was a very stressful place they don't care about helping there consumers they just want money money money I was fired unlawfully with rehire I was told I could come back but they never called me back I am glad I never went back.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Micro management was very poor

supportive admin

I was allowed some flexibility with work hours and shifts that interfered with schooling or family life. I learned about the demands and aspects of a supervision position within a treatment setting. I was provided support from administration and the mentoring from the clinical director. I appreciated the opportunity to be placed in a supervisor role and took a lot out of it that I will carry into the future. The most enjoyable piece of the job was seeing consumers success and graduation as well as employee success and accomplishments.

Pros

working with a team and ability to learn and ask questions from others

Cons

burnout and some history of consumers created sadness and darkness.

Great

Fairbanks Native Association is a great company to work for with good benefits. They have an open door policy which allows to you voice you opinions and concerns with your supervisors without much back lash.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

slippery parking lot in winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairbanks Native Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits