Fairfax County Government

Fairfax County Government Employee Reviews

United States232 reviews

countygovernmentprogramdepartmentopportunitychildbenefitsupervisor

Good job security

Enjoyed working there but financial compensation was low compared to other organizations. High caseloads and employee turnover. Flexible work schedule. Enjoyed my team and boss

An okay place to work

Work culture depends on which department you work for and the management. Some supervisors are more flexible than others. I have had bosses who like to micromanage, and others who are much more trusting and supportive. The most hard-working employees tend to get rewarded with more work, unfortunately, rather than fair compensation.The county used to offer a much better pension plan and greater annual raises. Of course, the people who have been here the longest and are now at the top making the decisions have greatly reduced those benefits for the rest of us who came into the county after them.The health insurance is decent, but we now have less choices than before. And if the cost of the health care plans increase each year just as much as the tiny annual raise (if we're even lucky to get it), then are we really getting raises?The county needs to step up and provide more competitive wages because people are leaving to work for other neighboring counties that pay more and allow full teleworking.

Pros

Job security, meaningful work serving the community

Cons

Pay, limited remote work

Fairfax County Government insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

What is the best part of working at the company?Liked my teammates What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Old-school, battle-ax boss who micromanaged my time, looked at my daily calendar, and called to be sure I was where I said I was. Poor trust. Culture where I was seemed strict 8-4:30 in and out, punching the time clock. Little adaptation for work/life balance.

Flexible but high intensity

I took in calls from county residents who had about a 50/50 chance of being pleasant or stressed from their projects being slowed down due to government paperwork. Had a good understanding of what the work week would look like, but don’t know how busy it will be on any given day.

Will never work for this agency again

Poor Upper Management and talks down on his employees. They do not have a policy and procedure manual to guide. Upper management cares more about having someone fill the slots rather properly training them. I was there for less than a year and I’ve never seen so many people leave an agency within a short amount of time.

Pros

Supervisor was very helpful and my unit

Cons

No work life balance, poor upper management, not appreciative of employees, toxic work environment

Good for a steady job bad for advancing

They hire people externally and give them more money than those who have been with them for years. You're rewarded with more work when you're efficient. They said they're flexible with telework but they're not really depending on your director. No two same management analysts do the same job. Huge discrepancies. They do have good benefits though and a lot of leave so for a good steady job for those who don't want to Excel and just want to skate by, it's pretty good. If you have a good work ethic and want to continue to learn and grow, you'll just burn out because everyone will give their excess work to you since you're so helpful.

Great work life balance

It is a great place to work. It has amazing benefits such as pension and retirement. Health insurance benefit is amazing and very affordable. Work life balance is great

Good Benefits

Great people. Good benefits. Can be hard to move up in position. I like what I do, but the workload is too much for existing staff to handle. Management’s hands seem tied with regard to hiring more staff.

Truck driver

You having trucks for 7 hours a day going to multiple county offices picking up merchandise and on supplies and work materials handling forklift and moving material

Pros

Job is great

Cons

No cons

So so

Overall I do like the county in general but since the pandemic everything has felt out of order and has still not gotten back to normal unfortunately. Lots of turnover, seldom pay raises, and overall morale is low, these days especially.

Benefits

Cons

Sense of disorder

Good experience

Love the flexible work environment. The pay is pretty good. Can be demanding at times. But overall they are a good company to work for. The work is rewarding but can be draining at times.

Overall Good Place to Work

The culture and morale ebbs and flows but overall, it is a good place to work. Great work is being done in local government and I was happy to be a part of it. Some management is horrific which does put a damper on everything else, but there is also great people and great leaders so it depends on your particular branch of work.

Pros

compensation, leave, job security

Cons

some poor management

Great job great place to work

It was the best 14 years of my life to for Fairfax county police department.Even we have someone make ur life Hill.good benefits health insurance and retirement too.

Overall….it’s okay.

Entry level-Mid level and no real opportunity for career growth. Work life balance and benefit packages are amazing. Extremely low salary and upper management lacks awareness of day to day job challenges.

Wonderful Opportunity to Help Election Office

Excellent opportunity to help my community. Congenial colleagues. Extremely supportive and appreciative supervisors. Flexible schedule. Couldn’t ask for a better opportunity to assist in the Election Process.

Supportive environment

Management will work with you to help you achieve your goals within the county. Pay is great, training is intense (but necessary), always room for growth

Great place to work if you live in Fairfax

Great benefits! Culture is dependent on department. The pay is okay, it depends on experience and job title, but doesn’t always match what the private sector is paying.

Pros

Pension for merit employees

Cons

Doesn’t alway pay what market rate would for same job in private sector

Good working environment

County does offer good flexibility for employees especially as a social worker. Very good working environment. And you find very supported by people you work with. But Management team can be different, a lot politics that makes no sense.

Pros

Good work and life balance

Cons

Low pay

Outstanding Place for Go-Getters

Fairfax County is a great place to work. The political leaders and executives are generally very ethical and trustworthy. There are some areas that need work, like anywhere. There are a lot of organizational silos that prevent good work and new ideas from taking root. Equity is a focus but concentrated on black vs. white issues (this is important because this is a really diverse area where other cultures are often overlooked and left out of the equity conversation). If you can adapt to the environment, excel at the job you were hired to do, and maintain professionalism, you will have tons of opportunities for advancement.

Great Benefits, but management rules with iron fist

I worked as a program assistant in Adult Day. I had a fair experience with the job, but ended up being fired (for being 3-6 minutes late on occasion during my probationary period. They also make you dock your lateness from your PTO!). I endured a lot of bullying from older co-workers who saw me as young and naive. It got so bad I had to call the EAP to talk to a therapist. Our managers, the nurses and recreational therapist, sit up in their offices all day, even if you need help on the floor, and then during morning meeting tell you how much you need to improve. Getting fired was a sweet reprieve, honestly, as my mental and physical health was suffering. But the benefits were GREAT!

Poor management structure

The county does not care nor value the work of activity facilitators and it shows in the pay/ work load they give to us. As well as the fact that most of their facilators are graduated college students with actual degrees but the merit staff know nothing.

Pros

Good work culture

Cons

Pay is horrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight