Fairfax County Government

Fairfax County Government Employee Reviews

Fairfax County Government insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Good job security

Enjoyed working there but financial compensation was low compared to other organizations. High caseloads and employee turnover. Flexible work schedule. Enjoyed my team and boss

Djjd

It was not a good place to work. Management was very disorganized. Terrible place to work. Work environment is not supportive in anyway at all.

It really depends where you are and who you're working with

Being under the office of children, I have seen the disparity between teachers, center supervisors, regional supervisors, and program administrators. I have a lot of disdain for those working in the office admin, as I feel as those below them have concerns that are not being heard -- working through the pandemic really showcased this. If you want to put your foot in the door and gain experience working with school-aged children, this is for you. The children remind you everyday why you're here; they're great, every day is something new and changing, but the most bittersweet part about this job is watching them grow up and graduate. There is a lot of support between other teacher staff in the area (incl. head teachers and center supervisors), and as well as from your regional supervisors that go above and beyond to help meet your needs in your center and individual as well. However, it's apparent that there are some staff who are rigid and stubborn, not appreciative of new ideas, hard to work with but are protected because of their position. I have been only working for less than three years, and it has become apparent that administrators have forgetten that we work for children and are here to meet the needs of children; it really seems like administrators only care about enrollment and taking money from families.There have been times where I questioned if any admin have even interacted with children themselves. If you need to take sick days or have an emergency, you can count on your staff to help with coverage. Many teachers in my position don't feel recognized especially -

Pros

children, family interactions, staff, trainings, certification

Cons

adminstration, hours, pay, advancement

Poor management

Co workers were cool but management really needs to go. You are just a body and the pay is probably the worst in the industry. Don’t expect to be promoted

Pros

Get off earylish

Cons

Kill your body. Low pay

Very supportive top level management

Overall great company to work for and great benefits. Management is unbelievably supportive. Especially during COVID. There are many opportunities for advancement, mentoring and training. Advancement is encouraged.

Pros

Amazing benefits. Management is VERY supportive.

Cons

Very large organization, sometimes feels impersonal.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Government is a stable industry, which comes with good and bad

Let me just say that as a whole, the county does not seem that bad. There are some genuinely great people who work here. What is bad are most of the management and supervisors. Toxicity starts at the top and those supervisors that promote negativity are recognized and celebrated. Micromanagement and favoritism are rampant. There is no such thing as a self-starter here, work that is given to you is the only work you will do period. Any creativity or ideas for improvement are shot down for the sake of how things have always been done. You are nothing but a cog in the machine to management.Good luck attracting and keeping new employees in this market.

Pros

stable industry, benefits

Cons

pay, management, supervisors, culture, emotional intelligence.

Ok place

Dec will be 3 years, work balance and job security are excellent, compensation depending on negotiation is adequate. Culture and management are poor at my site, so depending on where your placed could be great or not so great.

Pros

Job security, easy work

Cons

Management and culture

Good people trying their best within a government system

Most people work hard to fulfill their responsibility, including management who are responsive and supportive. If you work hard you can find upward mobility, but there are people who slack off and get by.

Pros

Big county so opportunity abound

Cons

Big government bureaucracy

Productive Work

Department is clear in objectives and led with good leadership. People stay at company for years and has loyalty. Many promotional opportunities to go up

Pros

Pay

Cons

Night work hours for public safety

Great benefits and job security

Great people and job security. Board runs most decisions. County provides good guidance for employees. Co-workers are great and very supportive. Commute can be tough but they encourage compressed work weeks and telecommuting. Pay could be better when compared to private sector.

Pros

Flexible schedules

Cons

Pay

Stable job with okay work culture

Great opportunities for growth within department. Lots of availability for training and development offered by Fairfax County HR department. Flexible work-life balance.

No support , all about numbers and putting the screws to people

No compensation for COVID - 19 , Come to work do your job or else .Thats the ATTITUDE OF MANAGEMENT DON'T RECOMMEND THIS JOB TO ANYONE ... !!!!!Management attitude is if you dont like it find another job thats what was told to the employees after announcing your will be changed next month ..

Cons

Challenging work benefitting the community

Honored to work with Fairfax County. I have had several positions over my 20 year career and have been granted significant flexibility to manage and lead as I deemed best to meet the needs of the organization.

Just Okay

The job was stable. The benefits were okay. There was a tremendous amount of nepotism. Management seems always out to "get" you for what you did wrong instead of supporting with training and development.

Pros

Stable government employement

Cons

Nepotism

Toxic, under-estimating work culture

Expect more from one of the largest, wealthy counties in the U.S! Unfortunately it is more than just a few managers...it is the culture of the organization.

Very enjoyable and professional

I thoroughly enjoyed working for Fairfax County. It was fast paced, challenging, and included supportive management. All around the perfect job if you can handle sitting at a desk all day.

Productive unique work environment

Flexible, work diversity, easy going setting, Management gives you time that you need off from work. great management. Continuing education opportunities to advance in your career.

Pros

time off, pay

Long-Term Security vs Professional Growth

Working for Fairfax County brings security and good benefits. The pay is not always fair, and very rarely you will be offered a salary above mid-point if you’re coming from the outside (although I did). Once you’re in, pay increases are non-negotiable. Period. Also, it’s difficult to get rid of bad performers; actually nearly impossible. They are moved around to avoid firing people. Because of this, it can be a difficult environment for really high performers and those that are results driven. If you can make it in this environment for a few years, you’re likely becoming a “lifer” and will stay as the retirement package is worth staying.

Good company

I feel comfortable working here. The management is supportive. The work is very challenging and busy, but I consider that a bonus. It has been a great first year.

People and peers are great

People and Peers are great, Co-workers help with career goals and advancement. County doesn't always look out for you, seem to treat employees like they can just plug and play.

Pros

sense of family, job security

Cons

sometimes feel like a number to upper management

Its what you would expect from a govt job, but everyones friendly and fair.

Fairfax county is not a bad place to work. I like all the people that I worked with. I've done election work and some random jobs and they always paid fair.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Fairfax County Government with

• Fairfax County Government
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?