Fairfax County Government

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

Fairfax County Government Employee Reviews

I was a contingent worker
Payroll Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 31, 2018
I was a contingent worker. It has been too long and don't really remember that much about that assignment. The only think I can think of is that my boss was a very nice person.
Comfortable atmosphere
VA (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 30, 2018
Excellent benefits and an enjoyable place to work.

They offered classes ,which in return, increased my knowledge

Great room for advancements

Ability to choose your own hours. You had the option to work four day workdays and fridays off.
Respectful work place and many benefits
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 10, 2018
As a front desk administrative assistant I see many people coming and going. I assist various sections within my office as needed on data entry and other clerical duties. I have learned to post our cafeteria menus on our website. I am learning how to use Microsoft One Drive as that is what we're moving towards. At my office the atmosphere is friendly and sometimes like a family. The hardest part about my job is some of the work is very repetitive, perhaps not challenging enough. In closing, the benefits, hours and staff are great.
Pros
Paid leave, promotional opportunities, additional training and classes available
Cons
lack of raises, cost of living is too high to live close by
ID Services (CSB)
Support Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 28, 2018
SC Supervisors were not helpful and did not want to mentor or teach new employees. Very inflexible but expected as this is the local government. The culture was terrible. They do not take into consideration your family, drive time, etc. no opportunities to move to other areas so when you get to one, you’re stuck.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not flexible, no career advancement
great place to work
Loss Prevention Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 31, 2018
I love my job at Fairfax County Government. The work we do is interesting. My co-workers are very nice people. The benefits are great too. I moved to Reston to have a short commute to work.
love and safety of children
SCHOOL AGE CHILDCARE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  fairfax county public schoolsAugust 27, 2018
a before and after school program well rounded and engaging program.day started 6:45 am till 6:15 pm or until last child got picked up at night. seeing the children grow up.
Pros
ratios of teacher to kids lower than required by licencing agent
Cons
long days
Ok place
EMS Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAAugust 27, 2018
I have no tips on working in the fire and rescue department. I love the job and some of the fellowship. Benefits were good. The salary was good. Good advancement opportunity.
Benefits
Na
Human Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 22, 2018
Fairfax County is a lovely place for someone to work who is interested in benefits and working in front of a computer all day. I am more a creative visual person, therefore this type of work is not ideal for me. I also do not believe the compensation is fair for my background.
Productive and fun play to work
Maintenance WorkerMaintenance (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 17, 2018
Job was great learned a lot hands on I worked hard landscaping and maintenance work and awesome people to work with been on time and get the work done
Pros
Get off early
Cons
Have to work weekends
what you learned
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAMay 18, 2018
I worked in the sewage plant in Lorton the shop was extremely dirty with mice dropping all over the place the refrigerator in the shop was disgusting and the people in the shop not friendly . won't miss the place.
Pros
hours
Cons
co workers
Poor Leadership
Workforce /Human Services (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAApril 23, 2018
Poor Mgmt and Poor Leadership. Supervisor creates a hostile work environment and culture of fear. Worker have no voice and are punished for speaking out about their supervisors.
Virginia (VA) (Current Employee) –  Virginia (VA)April 22, 2018
The company has a great retirement plan and was a great place to work. I want to move on to a less stressful job as I get older. The office is located in the middle of a non-congested traffic area.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
management
Social Services Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 19, 2018
I was comfortable and enjoyed the job duties, Hated the job insecurity and lack of management support. From the minute you are offered the position , you really dont have time to learn the job correctly because you have to focus on all the mandatory trainings.
Pros
team meetings
Cons
no free meals
Lovely work enviornment
Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 17, 2018
Working for SACC has been a great working experience, the workplace culture is friendly and warming. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my families happy with our programming.
A positive work environmental with opportunity for advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 7, 2018
Fairfax County Government was a terrific place to work and grow career wise. If you wish to advance your career then it's where you should be. I had the pleasure of working with Fairfax County Government for 28 years until I retired.
Pros
Grest benefits
Fairfax County Review
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 7, 2018
I enjoy working with the Fairfax County Court system because it is a good place to learn a lot about different languages and cultures. I learned about different countries where people speak Spanish. For example, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico and Peru.
Pros
good trainings
Cons
no benefits
Ok for job security, not much room for advancement
Human Services Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 20, 2018
People like the benefits provided by fairfax county government. Hard to get promoted if you don't know the right people. Benefits are being reduced for new employees.
Excellent employer where you can learn and grow
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 20, 2018
Fairfax County Government is an excellent organization to work for. It is going through a major transition as it increasingly finds itself needing to compete with other competitors in the workplace, but the opportunities to grow and move to other parts of the organization are many and varied.
Paid fire dept
Firefighter/EMT (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 16, 2018
I loveed my mays years in the fire dept.I always enjoyed my work no matter what. Loved the shift work the people and exictment. As this is a young mans game and retired young and FUN
great place
LIBRARY AIDE/ASSITANT (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 10, 2018
Great place to work and have a great support group ad leadership skills are always a plus. Lots of growth and room to excel in different departments in the County.