Fairfax County Public Schools
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States634 reviews

fairfaxcountyteacherschoolstudentsubstituteclassroomteaching

fun and productive work place

I have found the Fairfax County work environment to be very relaxed and welcoming where children are happy to come to school each day. I learned to be a supportive team player.

Teacher Review

If you want to teach this is a good school, however, demands on teacher time are increasing and pay freezes are common and far behind inflation rates. It's a good school if you want to teach but be prepared to work multiple jobs to afford rent.

Pros

good kids

Cons

pay

Fairfax County Public Schools insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Impossible to move up to higher levels of responsibility.

You are expected to solve your own problems. Supervisors expect you to work independently and don't take much time to answer questions. Promises are not kept.

stressful

Regardless of what you are told before the school year ends, during the summer, or even once returning back to campus for the new school year, inevitably things will be changed and so much more will be added that you never agreed to or would have ever agreed to if only you had known. It's an overwhelming workload year after year causing mass exodus of burned out teachers. And the worst part, nobody (who has the power to change things for the better) cares.

Inconsistent but fufilling

Jobs were few and far in between. Rarely happened and in the off chance they did, they were often very short and potentially at a far away school. However when they did happen, it was very fulfilling to see the fruits of your labor. A school had a problem fixed and the students and teachers are happy again.

Toxic Culture

If you are looking for a toxic work environment and passive aggressive behavior then you should work at Gatehouse for FCPS. Directors handing unqualified people positions, passive aggressive behavior from Directors, and the pushing of employee issues under rugs is a daily occurrence.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No culture, no teamwork or collaboration, passive aggressive behavior from leaders.

Great opportunities in education

I enjoyed my position as an IA with FCPS. I had a great team to work with, and I loved my students. I totally recommend this position for anyone with aspirations to be a teacher.

Overall good job, rewarding

Hours can be unpredictable as being the new person it usually is. Good pay and benefits but when holidays come around money can go down significantly

They interview for mgmt. positions but often already had a pre-selected candidate. As long as you are part of the clique, you will be considered

They have SLP supervisors who are not very personable or professional. Supervisors are not trained in people management skills and they often had difficulty with interpersonal relationships. The unfortunate thing about this is if you are not considered part of their clique, your end of year review may not be as high as you would expect. They don’t recognize the extra hours and hard work SLP’s put in at their job sites.The pay is adequate.

Pros

The pay is adequate.

Cons

Performance reviews are conducted by SLPs with poor people/ management skills.

Volunteer Reading Buddy

Delight to participate in the Elementary School Reading Buddy program at Fairfax County Public Schools. Worked virtually during the spring 2021 semester and in person during the 2021-2022 school year with three first grade students who volunteer to participate in the Reading Buddy program; a delight to work one-on-one with these young readers eager to keep reading beyond the classroom. Recommend to anyone able to just give an half-hour or so a week to work with children from grades 1-6. (you may choose which grade). You will get so much more than you give.

Experience at this company is reflective of teaching in general

Teaching with FCPS is challenging. The demands of the job require at least 60 hours of work per week. That far exceeds the 37.5 hours of work per week teachers are paid. The worst aspect of the job is that parents are permitted to come into classrooms and berate teachers in front of students when they feel their child/children have been treated unfairly.

Nice People

Overall, I enjoy working for Fairfax County Public Schools. The people are the best part and the pay is the worst part. I'd recommend working here for a few years.

What is the best part of working at ?Always supportive, great staff and always provide trainings. Great benefits! What is the most stressful part about working at Fairfax County Public Schools?The only downside is that every experience varies by school. You could have a great administration with great support in one school. Or you can have not a great leadership with no much support at a different school. What is the work environment and culture like at Fairfax County Public Schools?Great environment! What is a typical day like for you at Fairfax County Public Schools?A typical day would be arriving to work, getting ready to have the students arrive. Help with arrival, work on student goals during the day.

Such a large district it's easy to get lost in the shuffle

There's so much work and so many kids. It's easy to get overwhelmed. The staff is friendly though. Just wish there was a way to break up the district. Also, an increase in pay for anyone that is not teaching certified would be great.

Meaningful work and good environment

Working for FCPS is just about what anyone would expect. You have an important role helping the kids get the most from their education, and everyone around you is helpful and understanding.

Very rewording job and a magnificent work place.

My typical work day is to teach Spanish to several groups of engaged students. I learned that classroom ambiance is manageable, as long as the culture of the school is respectful and collaborative.The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the imprint I leave in my students 'lives, according to them when they return once while in High School.

You get to make a difference

I enjoy working with children but they will use you! Especially if you're an Instructional Assistant. They use you to cover many teacher's classes if they are out but you get no where near close to a teacher's pay.

Pros

working with children

Cons

Pay

Throws Teachers Under the Bus

FCPS is constantly covering their behinds over legal issues; administrators have huge egos and will throw quality teachers under the bus before they take responsibility for their lack of leadership; the Board is corrupt and out for themselves; system allows students way too much control and does not listen to teachers needs. Horrible county to work for.

Teachers nice overall. Admin given too much control/ too little training.

I can't recommend this workplace any longer. The Administrators are extremely hit or miss and all powerful in FCPS. They know it as well and act however they wish. The teachers are generally nice to one another (mostly) since they are all in the same overworked and underpaid boat. FCPS does not care about teachers and staff.

Pros

students and other staff, benefits package

Cons

admin, politics, pay, Hr

Individual schools full of teacher & admin cliches

I was excited when I was hired with FCPS as an elementary sped teacher. Colleagues and admin quickly squashed that feeling! The parents & students are absolutely wonderful and are the only reason I lasted as long as I did. Specific reasons to stay away from FCPS as an employer:*Directed to use only specific programs but then not provided with them. Have to either purchase out of personal funds or not have program materials. *Teachers & admin form toxic cliches and when problems or concerns are brought to admin’s attention, they are never addressed proactively. *Established sped teachers are intent on getting what they feel they “deserve” so new teachers are overloaded with “problem” schedules, students, & teaching assistants with no support. *Colleagues regularly throw each other under the bus. *If you reach out to district, don’t expect support. They will treat all involved as though EVERYTHING being done is wrong.

Pros

Great parents & students

Cons

Lack of resources; toxic colleagues & admin; no district level support

Great part time work. Flexible

Super flexible work as a substitute. Teachers really need the help so lots of opportunities to pick up assignments. Easy onboarding and working with kids is great.

Common questions about Fairfax County Public Schools

Answered by current and former employees at Fairfax County Public Schools

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Fairfax County Public Schools with

Studying at Fairfax County Public Schools

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • Fairfax County Public Schools