Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

substitute
Virginia (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 17, 2019
It is very flexible job if you need to pick up hours. Very great experience with the kids. Good job if you need the extra hours. The pay is not enough to live on it own and there are no benefits.
Working with kids
Cafeteria Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 16, 2019
Worked with kids, in the cafeteria. Just got to keep it clean. And kids safe. Days started with setting up the cafeteria. And in the course of three hours see over four hundred hungry kids. Clean up after them. and make sure they clean after themselves.
Pros
discount lunches
Cons
Off during the summer.
Review Summary
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 14, 2019
FCPS has changed considerably from when I started to present. I loved working for my school. We felt support d by administration and compensation was always fair. The required assessments were understandable.
Then everything changed. We were refused raises by the county board, we were required to pay for benefits and held accountable student treating with no exceptions for the students ESOL status or length of time in an English speaking country. Additionally, class size grew to 30 students , making individual assistance, as well as movement in the classroom for centers impossible. All with no raises for many years.
16 years in Fairfaz. County Public Schools in a teaching and an administrative positions has provided insight into the many nuisances in the system.
Would I work there again? No. Unless their is more respect for the teaching community.
Pros
Resources, good fellow employees
Cons
Low pay, teacher lack input, School Board slow to respond to serious issues
Stressful but rewarding
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 10, 2019
The job can be very stressful when there are multiple tasks that all require your attention and the daily routine can become a grind, but helping students and coworkers alike is very rewarding
Great overall
Elementary School Teacher/ESOL Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 7, 2019
Loved working for FCPS! Would still be there had my husband not relocated! Teaching can definitely be stressful, however, if working with children is your passion, this is a great county to work for!
Pros
great benefits! Lots of professional development offered.
Cons
Lots of meetings/trainings
good
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 7, 2019
good. Flexible work schedule, good place for working part time.
good teaching experience. fun to work and see the kids grow and learn. love teaching.
fun work
Public health assisstant in elementary school (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMarch 5, 2019
In my opinion, working with Fairfax county public school is a good job for people who's love children and who's have children to give them and spend time with them.
More pains than positives
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various schoolsMarch 3, 2019
I was a substitute teacher with FCPS for 8 years, covering a wide variety of classes. The issue I had, and the reason I left, is that we were expected to be as engaged with the students as permanent teachers, but were not paid fairly. There are no benefits, and in most schools, if you have to go to the bathroom, you have to ask for a key. Plus, the schools have this belief that just because you are a sub, you do not get any free time. Too many times I have had to go and cover other classes during my planning periods.I decided I could not live like this anymore, that is why I am leaving. People in my position, overall, were not treated well by the school system.
Pros
able to choose classes
Cons
treated like the bottom of the totem pole
n/a
Business Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAFebruary 19, 2019
It's a great environment to work in. There are a lot of great people that work here. The pay is decent but could be increased in order to sustain a better lifestyle given the cost of living in this area,
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAFebruary 14, 2019
Fairfax County takes care of their patrons. It was refreshing to see how much they care about their employees and the students. I am very thankful to have learned so much about facilities and the processes involved. Thanks again!
Supportive
Social Studies High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 11, 2019
It is a great place to work. The staff is friendly and helpful, and will be there for you in the time of need. I would recommend this school district to anyone!
Pros
Time off
Cons
Pay
Nice place to work
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 17, 2019
I would recommend working in Fairfax if you are fresh out of college . Pretty decent atmosphere. Good folks to work with. Can be somewhat challenging at times
some areas grea others terrible
Specialist, Behavior Intervention Services (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VAJanuary 11, 2019
as most places there are areas of FCPS that are wonderful and others that require work. the central office personnel are wonderful to work with although there is a culture of mistrust everywhere, LEAs are hit and miss as so much of I tis controlled by local admin and that is controlled completely by test perfor mance
Pros
qqq
Cons
qqqqqq
Exhausting
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAJanuary 7, 2019
Too many students per classroom to do the job effectively. Parents complain and Admin will do anything to please them. Many kids are lazy and disrespectful.
Decent place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 6, 2019
Great, flexible hours. Decent pay for a very easy job. They always need substitutes so it is relatively easy to get jobs whenever you want one. I prefer high school.
Pros
choose hours
Cons
boring
Fairfax County Schools
Middle School Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAJanuary 5, 2019
A typical day at work begins at 7:20 when students enter the building. All staff are required to stand outside their classrooms to monitor the hallways. At 7:30, classes begin and each class is 90 minutes in duration. As a special educator, my work days are often busy, as I typically have IEP, staff or parent meetings scheduled throughout the day/between classes. Additionally, meetings are often scheduled prior to the students arriving for school or after work hours.

Management in the school is supportive and provides ample opporutnities for staff to receive additional training to support their classrooms, colloborate with colleagues and work together to address the academic/socio-emotional needs of students.

The best part of the job is working with teachers who are dedicated to their jobs and students. The hardest part of the job is trying to find the time to address student socio-emotional needs in a consistent and proactive manner.
Pros
Supportive management. Collaborative, supportive and hard-working teachers and staff.
Cons
Not enough time to consistently/proactively address the socio-emotional needs of students.
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Itt was very fun at times , I got to hang out with children all of the time. I met a lot of new friends and I got to go to many different places when I did fieldtrips.
Pros
get to go to different places, off during summer
Cons
driving all day sometimes
Great work - low pay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAJanuary 2, 2019
Working for the county was great, but the pay is low. I enjoyed the work-life balance, but the pay was low. Benefits were great and I enjoyed the position.
Great Place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 30, 2018
A great typical work day. Learn to work with many students with diverse needs. Many schools work as a team. Teachers receive time off and benefits. Teachers can received retirement based on the years of experience.
Pros
All Positive
Excellent Learning Environment for Professionals
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bryant ALCDecember 29, 2018
I like the idea of each day being new and different and I like having to be flexible and adaptable. A school is an awesome environment for those who love to grow and learn as well as teach. It is an opportunity to improve upon both your strengths and your weaknesses.
Pros
Collaboration with other professionals
Cons
Stressful days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight