Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Low pay
Math Coach (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 17, 2018
The cost of living in Fairfax is entirely too high to pay teachers less than $40k a year. I knew so many teachers with part time jobs living at home it wasn't funny.
Pros
lots of resources
Cons
pay
I have learnt a lot from Fairfax County Public Schools
SQL Database Administrator/Developer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 16, 2018
As the daily activities of a SQL Server Database Administrator depends on many other things such as nature of Tickets issued by the Supervisor or the problems/issues that straight way come to me from the end users i.e. users of the application servers.
Some times I have to perform almost similar type of works such as monitor the server activity and tune up its performance if it slowed down anyway. Ensure that all automated jobs such as backup, recovery and maintenance plans are running well; if not take immediate action to resolve the same upon detection and analyzing the RC behind it. As a regular routine work I also ensure that all automated jobs have good error handling process like automated alert settings and others and those are up running perfectly well.
We also have native and third party monitoring tools in place to monitor and ensure the up-time and availability of the system.
On regular basis I also verify that the system has the appropriate security in order to protect the data within it. I also monitor the available disk space and growth rate of the databases on regular basis and maintain a record of it. I also monitor the SQL Server Logs, Windows Logs and tempDB files regular basis. I also monitor the HA and DR logs such as Mirroring, Log Shipping, Replication and AlwaysOn Availability Groups regularly.
I also check the escalated issues and resolve the same on priority basis and SLA.
If I find any strange issue (such as network or IO related) regarding SQL Server Logs and Windows Logs I immediately notify the storage and network teams and
  more... check the centralized error logs if any.

I have designed some native scripts using T-SQL to automate the monitoring process side by side the 3rd party tool like SolarWind and LiteSpeed.

I also ensure that all backup jobs have been made successfully and saved to a secure location. Check the failure alert and correct the error and rerun the backup. Review the duration of all the backups and maintain a record about the same and if there is any abnormal issue detected resolve the same on urgent basis. Validate the backup file using restore verify only. We have also set up an alter job to notify the failure of the backup files validation.
Substitute teaching, very flexible, okay wage
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 15, 2018
Substitute teaching only pays 14.23 per hour, and taxes in the county are high. But that is the only con. This job is incredibly flexible, work wherever and whenever you want, and nothing else. choose your subjects, locations, grade, age, dates. Everything except the wage is exceptional.
Pros
flexiblility
Cons
wage
Fairfax County Public Schools
ESOL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 11, 2018
Fairfax County Public Schools is an outstanding public school system that provides quality education and opportunities for students in grades K-12.

As a professional educator, FCPS offers many attractive benefits outside of (but not excluding) the standard medical/dental/financial offerings available to educators. The professional development offered continually is outstanding and allows for personal growth within the professional field.

Management strives to foster an environment of collegiality and the concept that all are working together for the common good of the students we educate and the families we serve. Opportunities for advancement are ongoing and salaries are commensurate with experience and education level.

The hardest part of the job is to continue to provide excellent teaching with such a wide ranging and ambitious curriculum to our very diverse student body.
Pros
Great staff, good benefits, opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Cons
Teaching is not a 9-5 or 40 hour a week job.
Obsessed with Data, Doesn't listen to the teachers
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 2, 2018
FCPS is considered one of the best school systems in the US. However, they are quickly losing teachers due to lack of fair wages (I could never actually afford to live in Fairfax County based on what they pay me.) They are also losing touch with the teachers and are enacting policies that put students at risk.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
They have cut retirement benefits for new employees.
I most positively enjoy working with students.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 30, 2018
My day in a nut shell is that I show up with great spirits and ready to teach students in a fun and safe learning environment. I support other teachers with classroom work, help children with special needs meet their goals. Finally, I encourage students to do their best in whatever they do.
Pros
I work with great teachers and students.
Cons
Less than 40 hours
Very dedicated! Respected! Requested as a substite teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  High schools close to my homeApril 26, 2018
The working atmosphere was great. I worked as an elementary teacher for 33 years. I had very good rapport with both my students and parents. I cared for my students and my goal was to work with every child at their level. I was nominated as Teacher of the Year.
Pros
Location is good! I enjoy working with children
Cons
Shortage of substitute teachers
Thoroughly enjoyed working at a school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 22, 2018
Typical office work plus attendance for the students. The workplace was good - nice people, great children, nice teachers, etc. Nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was enter-acting with the students.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
A good job for transitions in one's life
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  County wideApril 21, 2018
Arrive at schools agreed upon substitute time. I learned to do classroom control and management. Management was always cordial and appreciative of my presence and willingness to help students achieve success in school. The culture of the work environment was one of appreciation and helpfulness. The most enjoyable part of the job was the wonderful students who I was able to impact and achieve success in school.
Pros
Seeing students achieve success
Cons
Not consistent work.
Excellent
Lake Braddock Secondary School (Former Employee) –  Burke, VAApril 18, 2018
I enjoyed every minute teaching! It was much an avocation as a vocation.profession!

Because I was teaching music, specifically chorus and/or musical theater, the days and night s ( and weekends with trips and performances) were very long. The work, however, was creative, enjoyable and and life changing!
Pros
Working with amazing kids and working with beautiful music/creative projects
Cons
Very long hours
Non-stressfull work environment
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 10, 2018
It you are organized, aren't afraid of asking questions and love working with children this is a great place to work for. You get summers off, winter and spring break.
Pros
only work when school is in session
Cons
more paperwork yearly
Exciting job working with kids.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 10, 2018
 Demonstrated self-confidence, initiative, and flexibility, in order to positively impact students.
 Followed the teacher’s lesson plan to ensure that students were kept busy with meaningful activities.
 Followed Standards of Learning (SOL) to outline the instructional objectives of each subject area.
 Provided appropriate instructions, lesson plans, procedures, or discipline issues with the school administrator.
 Supervised students and planned appropriately for all activities.
Collaborative
Elementary Librarian (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 9, 2018
The best part of the job was reaching readers of all levels through print and electronic means. Kids and coworkers came to the library with joy and excitement about lessons and all other activities which make for a growing library.
Pros
Time
Cons
Pay
Great Benefits
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 7, 2018
Fairfax County Public Schools provides great benefits to their employees. The work environment is fast-paced, but structured and the staff is very supportive of one another.
Teaching
Third Grade General Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 6, 2018
Very well organized school system. They have a clear vision and they are able to get it through to the teachers and the students. Great working environment with wonderful people in leadership positions.
Amazing place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  WT Woodson High SchoolApril 5, 2018
Amazing staff, amazing principals. My experience with FCPS wsa one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. Great kids to be around. Low stress environment where kids can actually learn.
A great place to work
Cosmetology/Esthetic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 28, 2018
great place to work. continuing education, opportunity for advancement, paid holidays, great location, parent support, fun school-based after school activities are encouraged.
Pros
on-going education
Cons
high cost to live in area
Dynamic work environment that challenges
Technology Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 28, 2018
Over the past 16 years of service with Fairfax County Public Schools I've had the opportunity to work in many locations. Each location presented unique work environments as well as challenges. The nice thing about working in the IT Specialist roll was the work never got old. I was given levity to implement my own style and ideas to help solve problems or make improvements. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the every changing IT world. Money was always a consideration so I had to be creative when trying to improve overall performance.
Pros
Flexibility to research and implement ideas for improvement
Cons
Lack of overall funding which would allow for wide spread improvement
I think the management tried to be innovative and understanding, but ultimately was lacking
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAMarch 27, 2018
The kids were the really great thing about FCPS, and the pay wasn’t bad. But the kids, especially in northeastern Fairfax County, are really entitled. It was a very different experience than teaching in an economically low-tier school. I found while working there that the idea of a team amongst teachers had expired. I should point out that despite this lack of team cohesion, Fairfax is staffed with exemplary teachers and deserves its reputation.
Must be great under pressure
Bus Driver Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 19, 2018
Highly stressful job...With numerous rewards. If you can follow the rules, put safety first, love children (or at least tolerate them-reasonably), and are a hustler...Job can be very rewarding.

Great for mothers who want to fire their sitter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss