Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Depends on where you are
Public Health Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 15, 2018
The experience of working with FCPS fully depends on which school you work at and the individual school administration. I never felt like the FCPS administration cared about me or the work I was doing as an IA.
iam volunteering at fairfax high school at clinic also i used to work as assistant teacher a bout 10 years .
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 11, 2018
I have had a lot of fun with children at all moment with multicultural at same class.i learn of staff and management a lot also children been at some point been as teacher for me .i been their friend at some situation and some as mother to give them love and other time as support them.the most enjoyable time was when they laughing.
Volunteer Grace Arts
Lead Volunteer GRACE (Former Employee) –  Reston VADecember 10, 2018
Great work environment and staff. Presented artists to students and projects once week. Part of art enrichment program in Fairfax County. Teachers very willing to participate and understand the importance of art enrichment and art projects that help develelop fine motor skills.
Pros
flexible hours
The salary is not good.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  FCPSDecember 6, 2018
Working with kids is hard and need patient and hard working but salary is not enough to make a living. I expected my salary would increase as working for two years but nothing happen.However, insurance and benefit for teachers are really good.
Good place
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 1, 2018
FCPS is a great place to work for especially with you have young kids at FCPS schools system. Most drivers do not get pay when they are off so you have to budget that include summer school if you don't plan on working it. I love working here, its a place that meets my needs. I have 3 kids and they all been on the bus with me, now 2 of them are in school and I'm off when they are off.
Productive, supportive, and fun workplace!
Chinese (Mandarin) Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 27, 2018
Productive, supportive, and fun workplace!

In addition, I like the work schedule, and it helps with second job. I am very enjoy to work at my school. and it makes my love my job!
Great place
Hayfield Secondary School Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 26, 2018
I wold only leave if the next job was right for me. Like in The Islands or to become self employed in my own company. It would need to be one of those situations.
Pros
The people
Cons
Drive
Productive quality place to work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VANovember 17, 2018
Fairfax County has an excellent reputation and a quality staff, both teaching and administrative. It was an excellent place to work, despite a high demand on one's time.
Great place to work and learn
Gifted and Talented teacher, Grade 5 (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VANovember 13, 2018
I was proud to work for Fairfax County Schools. It was a good place to work and I would have stayed. Family circumstances forced me to relocate. I highly recommend working for FCPS.
Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC1) (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 12, 2018
With 25 plus high schools it was a very collaborative place to work. I was able to communicate and work with many ATs on a daily basis. The policy and procedures made it very simple to work there because of clear and concise polices.
Diverse population of school-aged clients. Choices of increasing knowledge base with credit towards highter pay.
Senior Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 7, 2018
Typical day is 8-4:30pm but school based meetings can be scheduled before or extend past school hours. Typically assigned to a specific cluster but can assist with staff shortage in another cluster ;increasing travel time and distance. Due to different schools, ages of population and diversity of reasons for academic challenges poses opportunities for creative problem solving using evidence based practice protocols. Informative department meetings as well as outside classes to support individual growth. Very supportive of educational advancement and collaborative measures.
Pros
Educational advancement both in and out of house. Diverse settings, diverse student population
Cons
Extended meetings, missed lunch breaks, commute time, changing schedule to meet school demands unexpectantly
Fairfax County PS
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burke, VANovember 6, 2018
I loved working in Fairfax County especially the short time I worked full time at Burke ED. I was given the opportunity to be creative in how I approached the students and I believe I had some meaningful success..
Pros
Students
Supportive Staff
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VANovember 4, 2018
I found that all of the staff I encountered while subbing in Fairfax County was supportive and willing to answer my questions and help me through any problems I ran into. I would love to work in the county as a full-time teacher.
nuy buena
Maestra (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 2, 2018
trabajo con ninos y me encanta. Hay diferentes culturas. buen trato de empleados.
Daily
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  FcpsOctober 31, 2018
Poor management style , directors they just make fake promises , all they do just complained fake. Promise to staff do not believe what they tell you for your future will be with fcps . If you just like to be yes person then you can work with there idea which has no value and no class , Wasting money for all the tax payers.
Pros
Sound good from out side nothing much. Inside
Cons
Don’t believe in the management, good for people who just want to spend 30 plus year seeking retirement only no growth
Stay far away from FCPS
VIRGINIA (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAOctober 24, 2018
They treat their drivers like dirt. No room for advancement,unless they like you or you're eye candy.They will do everything they can to cut your hours to bare minimum. Now this is for driving a school bus only.
Benefits
Cons
Management, parents, kids
Quick paced high demand job- fairly compensated
Food Service Specialist (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 15, 2018
Responsible for 150+ employees and a multi-million dollar budget. High stress and long hours but paid well with room for upward mobility. Good workplace culture
Pros
free lunch, high compensation, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, high stress
Horrible County To Work For
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAOctober 14, 2018
Administration is not supportive nor knowledgeable about their job and only worry about covering their own behinds. Throw teachers under the bus in an instant. Requirements for planning time has raised, class sizes have increased, and compensation has lowered. The counties reputation has lowered significantly because of unsatisfied employees, salary is lower than surrounding school districts, and too many hidden law suits because of administration's lack of leadership. Huge percentage of teachers leaving because of the amount of expected work compared to pay and not being able to afford living in the county.
Pros
Cons
Low salary, no support, unorganized, county is not concerned with teacher needs
prgressive school system
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAOctober 10, 2018
It was highly educational to work there. You learned a lot about different cultures and populations. It can be very demanding but the kids there were amazing.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Work life balance is difficult to maintain
Definately a learning experience
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 2, 2018
Loved working with children with many ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and challenges. Several Military bases were in the district, which meant children were always coming and going. This made the population more diverse and more interesting to work with.
Pros
It was in my neighborhood. There were minimal traveling expenses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight