Fairfax County Public Schools

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose

fun and productive work place

I have found the Fairfax County work environment to be very relaxed and welcoming where children are happy to come to school each day. I learned to be a supportive team player.

Your supervisor makes a difference!

Having a supportive supervision has helped me enjoy my position at FCPS. Being a social worker is hard work and the procedures are ever changing, which can be frustrating. However, since I transitioned to part time, it has been much more manageable. Though, I do know hot everyone can do that.

Fun and exciting

Though the schedule can be a bit grueling the payoff is massive as you get to help make kids lives better everyday. Good pay for your time and absolutely perfect for college students

Supportive special ed management

I felt very supported by my special education supervisors. They make a clear effort to give your any resource and support you need. Caseloads can be a bit high but they will bring in support if you ask. Parents can be extremely demanding and don't understand the restrictions of public schools legally and financially. Upper management has no idea what is going on with special education and only think of it in terms of dollars.

Pros

supportive immediate supervisors, autonomy

Cons

Privileged parents who are extremely demanding, high caseloads

Supportive administration

FCPS is a goof company to work for because they provide great healthcare benefits. The pay is honestly not that great especially for counselors, but the benefits are good

Good retirement, bad superintendent leadership

FCPS could be a great place to work, if they could start to value their employees. This past year, teachers were used a sacrificial lambs and teachers time and health were not taken into consideration. We were thrown changes that we had to implement in less than 24 hours. MCPS is continuing to offer teachers a virtual teaching option (to teach from a safe space, like a home), but FCPS is not giving any teachers this option at all. The retirement is better than other counties in this area, but the lack of union really impacts the work that teachers are able to do.

Overall a good experience!

Working in a large public school system can be daunting, but most of the schools in FCPS are wonderful! At times you can feel like you are a bit in a bubble of your team and do not get a ton of face time with admin but that depends on the school!

Pros

Job security

Cons

Teachers in VA are underpaid

Rigorous Academically but rough on teachers

Amazing students and staff. High expectations for all, but can be overwhelming. Upper management is not very supportive of teachers. Pay freezes and lack of bonuses make turnover high. Teachers are given very little say in overall operations—great professional development.

Pros

Great teacher development and educational practices

Cons

Pay freeze, helicopter parents

The pay is good and the job makes a difference

Fairfax county schools pay well, even in the hourly positions. I enjoyed my time working in the system enough to commute daily and only left because I finished my degree program and went to pursue my dream job. The experience gained here helped me grow as a professional and I've definitely recommended working for them in the past.

Teachers are a sorry lot

It's great to be a teacher in theory, but never in practice. I like my job and I love my kids, but I'm not compensated fairly for my work. FCPS hasn't given step increases for employees in 3 years, and nearly everyone makes less in real money than they did in 2019. The work days can be quite long and planning time is short. Benefits are a big plus, but overall the time required and pay received do not reflect an organization which values its employees.

Pros

benefits, culture

Cons

salary, hours

Jobs at Fairfax County Public Schools

See more jobs

Great place to teach

Supportive colleagues and leaders. Overall it has been a great place to work. My administrators were very supportive during the coronavirus pandemic and beyond

Good Opportunity

You can be a substitute teacher at FCPS. It is very good opportunity to gain experience about teaching. It requires minimum high school level for applying to the job.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

no cons

Great place to work and gain some experience

I was a Network Engineering Intern during the 2018-2019 school year. Everyone I worked with was great and I also gained knowledge that would help me in the networking field. The main downside was that work tend to be sparse during the school year since most schools wouldn't be undergoing major network changes which meant some days were quite slow.

Pros

Great co-workers, many food opportunities

Cons

Some very slow days

Decent School System

Pros: Opportunities to work with diverse children and families. Many resources for teachers and students. Decent family involvement. Ample opportunities for professional development.Cons: High-level leadership is too far removed from the classroom to really understand day-to-day life and working conditions for teachers. Micromanaged. Poorly designed curriculum structure.

It's a good place to work

I always enjoyed my coworkers. There was a lot of support from other teachers but the job can still be very stressful. At my school in particular, I always felt like the administration was supportive of teachers, but I know that might not be the case everywhere.

Great family

it is a great temporary position. The administration creates a great work environment for employees who want to go into education and work in a school setting in the future.

Good benefits

Great benefits and I genuinely enjoyed working at my school. Unfortunately, trainings could be not applicable to my position and the students I worked with.

Top pay and benefits demand your best.

Working at FCPS is demanding because the expectations are high. Employees demonstrate professionalism and strive to perform at their best. Burdens can be put on teachers that are not necessarily part of teaching and learning.

Pros

professional development, good morale

Cons

endless administrative details to attend to, packed curricula, testing emphasis

Highly professional staff

High-caliber teachers and administration, cutting edge instruction and professional development. Best district I have worked in. I was sorry to have moved out of the area.

Pros

High caliber staff and admin

Not the county it once was

More demands, less support of employees. Sub shortage that they want to blame teachers for. Less and less admin who are supportive. Unfair biases in hiring, will look over veteran teachers and pick fresh out of college teachers.

Pros

Health insurance

Cons

Lack of support

Depends on School Site

I worked as a teacher at a middle school that had mostly great co-workers. The administrators push teachers to the limit, while declaring that they care about teachers. The hardest part of the job is not teaching which I enjoyed but the backend administrative work that should be sourced out but due to lack of $$ the responsibilities lie with teachers.

Pros

Free lunches every quarter at my school

Cons

Will be working way beyond contract hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight