Fairfax County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
it was informative
substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, CAAugust 11, 2018
it was productive and I had a lot of fun and gained experience working with the kids. It was a like a team work and I had fun knowing a lot of kids. I would recommend this job to everyone.
productive and taught me my life goal
student technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax County, VAAugust 6, 2018
working as a student technician i worked and operated sound and lighting systems for the school country and it slowly developed into my life passion that im going to school for
Nice people, not a lot of room for advancement
WRITER/EDITOR HR BUSINESS SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 29, 2018
Lowkey place to work, nice people with good ideas, but fairly siloed departments with little appetite for new ideas. Most enjoyable part of the job is profiling and celebrating teachers of the year.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere with nice people.
Cons
Too much bureaucracy
Fcps
Substitute Teacher/Long term teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 26, 2018
Great work environment. Wonderful to interact with students on a daily basis and have an impact in their lives. Truly rewarding to see change and progress in student's learning.
A Stable Employer
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJuly 20, 2018
I recommend Fairfax County Public Schools to any employee whom seeks to achieve work/home balance with their school-aged children.Compensation is fair and steady, a respectable form of employment.
Productive and Nice Place to work
Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 20, 2018
Good place to work and great benefits. I learned a lot of experience working there. I cannot really say there was something difficult about my job. The teachers and students always gave you something to smile about.
Really great for students
Student Theater Technician (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 18, 2018
In certain FCPS schools, you can take technical theatre as a class. A select few of those schools also allow student technicians to be hired by the county to work in the theater. Pays very well for an early, practically guaranteed job. Hours are very random, however.
Sub teacher, Math Science
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax,vaJuly 15, 2018
Able to coach and learn all of the necessary requirements to complete the job. Worked withe the players to learn all positions, offensive and defensive.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Working with the kids
It is very helpfull for me.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 14, 2018
It is very helpfull for me. because I have a 2 years old son and there schedule is free. I can work when my husband have time to babysit. which makes it the perfect job for my situation.
morale buster
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 13, 2018
The school in which I was employed was very poorly managed by two separate principals.The morale was very low and unfortunately admin did not appear to be concerned.
Substitute Teacher
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed teaching at Fairfax County Public Schools. The teachers and administration used the best practices and evidence-based curriculum. The work was challenging, but no more so than teaching at other schools.
great
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 8, 2018
The staff and educators are all extremely knowledgeable in their fields and encourage employees to be the best they can. The atmosphere is both fun and professional. The administrators go out of their way to ensure that visitors, current students and family, alumni, and employees are treated with the utmost respect.
Decent, but just one of many
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 8, 2018
This district isn't a horrible place to work, but you aren't treated as though you are worth much, you are just one of the many employees and are treated that way. It's frustrating to feel that you know what you are doing as a teacher, but to be treated as though you can't think on your own. You are told to read and teach almost word for word from lessons and books they give you. It doesn't allow for teachable moments, or personal touches.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Pay is hardly enough for living costs in this area, treated like a robot
Great School System for Subbing
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 28, 2018
Great School System for Subbing. Made a lot of great connections, and there was ample work available for substitutes. Overall staff was friendly. Flexible schedule.
Interesting work and friendly co-workers
Energy Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 26, 2018
Assigned different school every few months to design automatic control system. Used mechanical drawings and site visits to design automation system specific to that building. Designed system was then published for public bid by control companies. Was involved in oversight of job installation and provided final commissioning at end of project. Very interesting and enjoyable work.
Pros
Interesting and enjoyable work
Cons
Long commute made for long work days.
I like working there but I am a substitute
Tutor and assist children individually (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 26, 2018
I would one day maybe like to go long term I like the atmosphere and the other employees that I work with. I would like the perks and paid holidays if I were a long time employee .
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not having paid holidays due to being a sub
Positive experience/just expensive cost of living.
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 25, 2018
I felt that FCPS was a great place for me to work as my first teaching job after switching careers. It gave me the foundation to help me better my skills, collaborate with peers, and to increase in my professional development. My last direct supervisor was very good; fair, competent, resourceful and very supportive of our Math department.

Teaching is a hard profession. It's about lesson planning, classroom management, and grading at a manageable pace. Once you're able to manage your time properly, it's the toughest job you'll ever love.
Productive and warm workplace
Art Educator and Curriculum Writer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 24, 2018
Fast-paced, fun experience. Hardest part of my job was the limited time between classes to plan. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference daily in the lives of children. The school where I taught was a warm, welcoming environment each and every day.
Pay
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 21, 2018
If the pay was good. I would still be there. Loved working with the children. The company and people are good. The pay for a single parent is not. No yearly raises
Competitive Work Environment
General Education and Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 20, 2018
A typical day at work was filled with teaching and a special education case load. I learned to become an effective teacher and to manage challenging personalities effectively. The hardest part of the job was completing the special education paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairfax County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight