Fairmont Grand Del Mar Employee Reviews

comfortable but strict place to work at
Hostess (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2018
i worked here as a hostess and there were several rules and restrictions however everyone is extremely nice and you will love it. it does take some adjustment but overall it's a great experience seeing the whole hotel work together to make the guest's experience 5 star.
Pros
good wages, benefits
Cons
weird shift hours
Fun place to work
BAR SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2018
Great customer base. It was a really fun place to work. Great pay, flexible hours.I would 100% recommend a friend to work at the fairmont grand del mar.
Worst Job Ever
Server (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 20, 2018
No chance for promotion. No encouragement. Lacks motivation lacks structure. I truly hope corporate pays attention to the cry for help in all these reviews.
Pros
Free food free parking
Cons
Direction
Love it
Server (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2018
I Love the diversity, the drive, my colleagues, the members, and the hotel guests.. as long as you are a responsible and professional employee its great! Even when things get crazy busy and hectic (which they do) everyone will help eachother in anyway possible. For me, this is a dream part time job to have.
Pros
Gratuities, flexibility, meals, world wide resort discounts
fairmont takes advantage of Colleagues
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2018
Grand del Mar use to have in Integrity. After Fairmont took over, everything fell apart. All departments are short staffed and all Colleagues are over worked. The pay is awful and embarrassing. You would think a 5 star resort would at least have decent pay. Its not the case there. I will say that you do learn a lot and will gain experience, but its not worth it .
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Management, Salary and structure
If this is how they treat their applicants, how abused are their employees?
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2018
Hiring official was at least 20 minutes late to both interviews, completely mismanaged our time together. Interview questions were thoughtless and she did not respect my available hours. Work was cancelled less than 24 hours without compensation. Oh, and I moved over 100 miles for this job!
Cons
Poor communication, disrespectful and unprofessional managers, low pay considering their prestige.
Competitive work place
Spa Concierge (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2018
It was fun working as a spa concierge until people started showing their true colors. Management was professional. Working with the company for a little while made me realize that this was not a career for me so I didnt want to waste my time there.
Pros
discount hotel rooms
Cons
shork breaks, expensive drive
productive and structured work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I have learned a lot by working for this company. I went through Forbes training the whole 4 years I have worked here and really learned how to talk to high end clients and how to give 5 star service. My managers know what they are doing and set us up for success when we have any event that we host. They all have our backs and will jump in and help us do any part of our jobs, including running food, making drinks, talking to guests and moving furniture. The work environment can be stressful at times, but my coworkers and I know how to bring each other up and help each other handle difficult customers. Overall, I have grown as an employee by working for this company and have learned many life skills including multitasking, up-selling, catering to high end clients and teamwork.
Unfortunately i gave them 4 years
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FGDMFebruary 11, 2018
Management and above expect 5 star work and service to be provided at a 2.5 star pay, treatment and management. HR and all other managers only care about themselves and their numbers
Pros
other Colleagues
Cons
Management, Pay & Organization
Disorganized, stressful, poor management, incompetent HR director
Bellman (Overnight) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 28, 2018
The Guest Services department was poorly run by one manager. More often then not the bellman were unsupervised which created a stressful, disorganized work environment. The HR director was completely unavailable and provided no assistance. When notified of broken bell carts and bellman being injured on the job as a result, the Fairmont did nothing to alleviate the problem.
Pros
Hospitality perks
Cons
No scheduled breaks, over night shifts, broken bell carts
Great place if you prefer being underpaid and mistreated.
Bellperson (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2017
Virtually everyone outside of management is severely underpaid. Those who try to speak out about it end up fired (unlawfully). If you work here, you're not a person. You're a number. HR workers are cutthroat and don't care about workers. There are plenty of other hotels in San Diego who pay better and aren't awful to lower level employees.
Pros
Fairmont hotels discounts
Cons
Management, low pay, isolated area and sometimes very slow.
Productive and outstanding workplace culture
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CAJanuary 25, 2017
A typical day working as a Guest Service Coordinator at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar was very relaxed and busy on days events were going on. I would stand behind my desk answering pone calls all day to assist guests in retrieving their vehicle, asking for directions somewhere, and asking if the hotel has received any packages for them. I would constantly be on the radio with the bell men informing them when a hotel guest has checked in and needs help with carrying their luggage to their room, or if a hotel guest needs help with their luggage when checking out. On event days it would be a lot more busy, when having to collect money from guests to valet their vehicle. After working as a guest service coordinator, I have learned to use proper posture, organization, learning to deal with difficult situations and guests at times, and patience. The work place culture was phenomenal and working with that team was easy and made the experience worth while. The hardest part of the job was assisting that occasional guest who would ask where their luggage was, complain, and end up misplacing their items in their room or car. However, the most enjoyable part about this job was making sure that all hotel guest were enjoying their time and having a wonderful experience.
Cons
short breaks
Great workplace with great benefits
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 28, 2015
Great workplace to gain some experience in the hospitality industry. Some days are slower while other days can be extremely busy, mostly weekends and weddings. Great culture and colleagues who work alongside with you. Management truly cares about their employees and were very supportive during busy times.