Fairway Market Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2018
Over all Fairway is a good place to work in. Its a busy environment with the same customers you continue to see everyday. The employees are like family and extremely welcoming.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Flexibility
bad place of business
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
Fairway market is a terrible place to work management is bad very low pay they do not value employees and bad scheduling. A lot of office gossip no one training giving.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
management
Fast paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYJune 10, 2018
8 hours on the register, 15 & 30 minute breaks, the front end management is very strict, low staff, very diverse staff members. I learned how to keep my composure with rude customers.
Cons
Short breaks
Learned and leveled up
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 1, 2018
Great experience, you learn something new everyday, starts out overwhelming , but by the second week you get the hang of it all and would love what you do.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
2 breaks one 15mins and later 30 mins
Fast paced environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
A very sanitary work environment. Friendly and very respectful staff. Store is fast paced and you have to learn quick. Would recommend to everyone to shop and apply.
Work place is hectic and lack of growth when it comes onto moving up.
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2018
Throughout my (9) years working in the Company my salary still remained the same.. I've had numerous of bosses but no pay raise. The working atmosphere is very hectic and chaotic I must say!
Pros
They are a little flexible
Cons
Less pay
overall great company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
Great food and good overall culture. Fairway has a great concept and product mix. Stores are well laid out and there is a great mix of fresh, specialty and conventional foods. Friendly environment with a fast paced, high volume atmosphere. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable and Fairway is always on the cutting edge of the current food trends.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
no 401k match
the job sucks
Overnight Supervisor Grocery/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
everything about that job sucks for the management to the pay its no recommaded try to avoid as much as you possibly can like literally you will waste your time for low pay and stress
Working at Fairway
Stock Clerk in the Deli Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2018
Supportive work environment, and co-workers were always there to help out.
Management was easy to get along with.
Easy to learn the skills responsible for the job.
Hours were flexible and they worked around my school schedule.
Weekly pay was preferred.
Productive and fast paced.
Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 28, 2018
It’s a hard job. The shifts would be easier if they hired more people. The part I like the most is making pizza from scratch. Stretching the dough and keep my customers happy, makes me feel good at the end of my shift.
Good for someone who does not have many responsibilities.
Buyer Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
I worked at the corporate office building, and they work with your schedule. But do not pay you enough for the amount of responsibilities they want you to take on. They do not evaluate employees, the director loves to take all the credit for work, and it disappointing. It’s a good job if you don’t pay rent, don’t own a car, and don’t have children.
Pros
Discounts, free samples, flexible work schedule
Cons
Salary sucks, no employee recognition.
Production
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
Good place to wok for, just didnt work for me anymore. It gets crazy for the holidays. Production goes over the top. The bakery dept needs lots of help.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 20, 2018
There, you have the chance to learn about new fruits and produce you never knew before , you work in groups with others, sometimes they asigned you to cover others people. It was a way to learn about different departament.
Pros
Health care, 10% employee discount.
Cons
You buy your lunch
It could be better
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 19, 2018
Working at fairway was a bit challenging. As a student having to balance school and working directly after school till 11 was hard. They basically could care less if you had an emergency or anything because they would still call that as a strike. Managers often act overly superior and belittles people lower than them. I felt sometimes outcasted towards other departments. Managers made it seem like burden when ever i asked for help when i started. There was no overall training i somewhat learned on my own and was taught by other cashiers my age. I even trained a few newbies myself only having a few months under my belt.Break was 15, from the front to the locker room was 15 min alone. Then they would basically summon you over the intercom. Could be just this particular fairway location but... that was just my experience. I would not work there again if i had the opportunity.
Pros
Discount on Items.
Cons
Short break
Productive fun working environment
Maintenance/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 19, 2018
Family oriented business employees treat each other like FamilyGreat work experience learned a lot working there in the weekly pay is great Every Thursday
Lack of staff
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 17, 2018
Place is clean but lack off staff. lines goes into the aisles. Staff members use foul languages. Rats and mice eating out of the olive bar. Customers are rude and speak to you as if you owe them something.
It was okay to volunteer there but not to work
Bagger-Greeter and stock person (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJApril 9, 2018
• Greeted customers
• Returning items to the aisles of the store
• Bagged groceries

Pros: Slow in the morning, not much to do
Cons:Busy, fast paced..
Pros
Slow in the morning
Cons
Busy, fast paced with lots of people
Presure
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
Face paced environment, co-workers are every nice
Managers are rarely nice to workers over worked them and leave them working for hours without giving them the proper breaks they need to eat. standing long hours and managers speak to workers poorly.
Pros
benefits has union, you make money
Cons
very lil advancement
Fast paced and interactive workplace.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
My experience at fairway is that it’s a very fast paced work place. It’s very rare that the store is slow with customers so being focused and ready is mandatory. Employees and managers are friendly and will do a great job at helping you adjust to the speed of the workplace.
Pros
Discounts on good groceries and hot and cold foods.
Poor leadership
Regional Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2018
Work life balance was terrible. Upper management in total disarray. Turnover high because employee are under paid. Trying to compete with the larger supermarket chains while forgetting about the things that made them successful in the first place.