Families First Counseling Services
Happiness rating is 58 out of 100

Families First Counseling Services Employee Reviews

United States73 reviews

familyagencysupervisorsupportivecasechildrewardingbalance

What is the best part of working at the company?Staff are great. Supervisors and upper mgmt team seem to rely strictly on what supervisors say and not the employees What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Trying not to make mistakes that can be thrown in your face later. The learning curve is with each client caseWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Some stress and obvious "cliche" What is a typical day like for you at the company?Paperwork...appts with clients. More paperwork. Trying to connect and communicate with clients

Save Yourself

Families First has turned into money first. Unless you are a doctor or clinician, you do not matter, you are a number. You are not recognized for your hard work, it only gets more tedious tasks added to your “work responsibility”. We are short staffed due to people finding better jobs and the constant gaslighting from management that “you are not working hard enough”. Management is cheap, extremely unorganized, hypocritical and will find any reason to never give you a raise even-though you have been there for years. Families First needs a reality check in wages and how to treat employees. One of the only benefit's is some co-workers are amazing and a joy to work with. Other then that you get no benefits, terrible insurance, no sick days, short breaks, no maternity or paternity leave, barley any PTO (only full-time employees).

Pros

Rep lunches, amazing co-workers

Cons

No benefits, PTO accumulation, Terrible No sick days, short breaks, No maternity or paternity leave

Families First Counseling Services insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

High stress, heavy workload lack of support

Working with families is very rewarding however you must work long hours be flexible enough to work weekends. It is very challenging to balance work and family.

Pros

The pay is decent

Cons

Overwhelming caseload, long hours, evenings and weekends

Very fulfilling work. The nature of the work is hard, but great teamwork.

The nature of social work is difficult and demanding. The hours can be long but there is flexibility in scheduling. The job has a significant learning curve with documentation being a priority. The training is good and the company gives great support and time to learn the job. While most of the work is independent, there is comradery among the team. Income is based on cases, so the more cases you can manage the more money you make.

Pros

Flexible, Good income, Great Environment, Fulfilling

Cons

Long hours, travel, some evening and weekends.

Teamwork and self care

Teamwork is a strong focus. Building relationships with coworkers is highly encouraged. Self care is essential and discussed at every individual supervision. Time is given for actual self care and supervisors check back with staff to support self care.

Pros

Flexible schedule, positive work environment, teamwork, self-care focus, trauma informed, computer provided

Best job I’ve ever had

Working in social services has always been one of my passions, but after starting a family I decided to focus on that instead. So after many years of being a stay-at-home mother and wife, I have finally decided to make my way back into the workforce and use my degrees. Not an easy task after 20-ish years! My first place of employment was horrid. Just awful. I decided to just forget it, until a friend suggested I give Families First a shot. He knew a supervisor there and he contacted her with my information. A few days later she called, we chatted, and guess what…she convinced the company to hire me (even though they weren’t hiring in my area at the time)! So long story short, I have now been employed at this fabulous company for a year now and I literally couldn’t be happier about it! They are so genuine, caring, helpful, and really like a family! I can’t believe how blessed I am to have been connected to Families First! I absolutely plan to stay here for as long as I continue working. It has everything I was looking for or could ever want….helping children and their families, feeling fulfilled and making a difference, wonderful co-workers and company employees, a family-feeling type atmosphere, decent pay, flexible schedule, ….the list just goes on and on. My advice to you would be to give Families First a try…chances are you won’t ever look back if you do!

Pros

Great people, decent pay, flex schedules

Cons

Can be a bit of driving sometimes to clients schools and homes

Great company

Rewarding and great company to work for. Top notch training and continued growth within the agency and personally. Supportive supervisors and regional directors.

Pros

Flexible schedule and team atmosphere.

Great learning but be careful

Things I wish I would have known before starting:Pay for your own gas in your own car (often putting in 500 miles a week), did not provide a company computer, have to use your personal phone, you can’t meet contractual obligations without working 6-7 days a week.

Pros

Now providing company computers, supervising visits is great

Cons

Gas, car, phone, poor balance

Welcoming environment with lots of opportunities for personal and professional growth

Having just graduated from college, I was excited and nervous to enter the realm of the “adult workforce”. Getting a job with Families First could not have been a bigger blessing. This was the perfect job for me to have for a short amount of time (I’m attending graduate school soon) but would still offer me the chance to have amazing learning opportunities, gain so much experience in the field, and enjoy working again. I came to FF from a job that didn’t appreciate its workers or have a professional atmosphere. I was feeling burnt out. When I came to FF, I was met with a supportive management system, fun coworkers, and an overall sense of “this is where I’m suppose to be at this point in my life.” After graduate school I would highly consider coming back to work for this company. If you’ve ever thought about working for a group in this field, you should DEFINITELY consider working for Families First.

Pros

Flexible hours/scheduling, positive work environment, professional growth opportunities

Work is very rewarding. You get to change people’s lives and make a positive difference.

Compensation is great. Paid by case so the more cases you carry, the more you make. Earning potential is limitless. Paid bi-weekly. Job is pretty time consuming, however you get to make your own schedule so that is a plus. I could never go back to being micromanaged at a 9-5 job. Job is fast paced and never boring. Each day I have an opportunity to problem solve, watch families succeed or just be a listening ear. It’s very rewarding.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great pay, benefits, company lap tops, work from if you want.

Cons

No mileage reimbursement, drive own vehicle, use own phone and work never stops as we are in the business of people who are often in crisis, You don’t have to answer phone after hours, but clients will call/ text

Flexible and overall great place to work

Families First is an amazing agency to work for. You build a great rapport with co-workers, management, and of course the families you work with. You are able to make your own schedule and you have the flexibility to change it if something comes up (doc appts, your kids are sick, etc.). The team is great and everyone helps each other out. If you plan on having kids in the future, make sure to sign up for Aflac as Families First does not offer paid maternity leave. Overall, a really awesome place to work!

Great place to work, supportive environment

I love working for Families First. It is a great environment with wonderful staff who genuinely care about each other and the families we work with! Everyone works together to ensure that the families we work with are able to succeed. Staff take pride in the work that they do.

Supportive coworkers and supervisors

Working in the social work field is hard. Having supportive coworkers and supervisors makes those hard days easier. The company is aware of the need of their staff and do their best to meet those needs.

Best place I've ever worked!

Social work is hard no matter how you look at it, and this company acknowledges that on a regular basis. They know the true importance of and strongly support self-care for everyone. Leadership is outstanding and supportive consistently. Truly can't say enough about Families First and what they've done for my personal growth. Thank you!!

Teamwork to help children and families.

I absolutely love working with my team at families first. There is good rapport between coworkers and other area teams as well. Onboarding and continued training is llextensive, which is great, since the child welfare field is always changing. Staff recognition for hard work is a priority to administrators. Supervisors such as myself prioritize work life balance and self care for field staff. The culture here at families first is fantastic.

Pros

Administration, school loan forgiveness, scheduling, Work laptops. Supportive supervision

Supportive Workplace and Late hours

Working at Families First is a new experience for me. I have a love for doing social work and even though the training is hard to get into, you still get a chance to learn everything within time. The management team and your coworkers are there for you whenever you have questions or concerns. The management team wants to hear how you are enjoying the job and ease you into the job by the case load they give you. I enjoy the pay and the flexibility of the schedule. You will be working late hours but they are good about you having at least 2 days off a week. They are good about you taking a vacation from the job and making sure you don't complete your work while on vacation. Overall I am enjoying my time here and hopes to continue to stay here for years.

Good management, flexable schedule.

I really enjoy working for Families First. This company has helped me feel that I am fullfilling my purpose by helping families. Great managenent. Highly recommend this company.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

No mileage reimbursement

Paperwork and Great co-workers

Lots of paperwork to do and reports to complete for documentation. Co-workers and supervisors are amazing, helpful and very easy to talk to. Very rewarding work as well

Rewarding work with a flexible schedule

Rewarding work with a relatively flexible schedule. Supervisors are great. They are very flexible with personal and work schedules. Nice to be able to work some from home and some in the field.

Good about listening to concerns and helping workers.

Good place to work who cares about their employees. Management is good about listening to concerns of workers. Good work life balance. Company provides training periodically.

Rewarding career with great leadership

I have never worked under such amazing leadership. Their guidance and support helps offset most of the struggles involved with social work. My team is truly the best of the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Families First Counseling Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Families First Counseling Services
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?