Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Found 13,477 reviews matching the search See all 13,493 reviews
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry, RIJanuary 1, 2019
This was probably the best place to work for to be honest with you. To be honest with you if it wasn't for the fact that my current job i am making way more money and have better benefits id still be working at Family Dollar no problem. Everyone works together so great, its the only retail store that i was to advance in career without being someone's "favorite" and in all fairness the benefits themselves weren't the best but if your in management of some sorts (and thats including assistant manager) the benefits weren't the worst either. And the hours are small however they do allow you to work at other stores to make up some extra hours and possibly overtmie as long as the other stores have the hours to give you. So all in all this a good place to work at.
Pros
Excellent Management, some career advancement, excellent co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
pay, no discounts, not so great benefits
Like a drought
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 3, 2019
Different sites have different management, not all the same. Hope that the sale has changed those in management. Not much care for employees, all work, without any breaks 9-12 hrs a day, no water, no one cared, so hungry after shift. Unhealthy atmosphere, developed health problem as a result. Felt used and abused by company. Had to leave after 3 years. Never again.
If you work here, don't do this full time, and don't let them call you in to infringe on your time off. I worked 45-60 hrs/ wk, have a bachelors and a as, was paid the lowest wage of 7.25, Received one raise and promotion after the previous assistant quit and never maid it above 10.00/Hr.-Awful.
Not a good experience for me.
Pros
Made me strive for a professional degree and different field
Cons
Made me hate retail/ contributes to a toxic community
Maybe a good starter position...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 21, 2018
I work for the company for just over a year and a half. I have many years of retail experience and was relied on heavily to work the weekend/evening hours that other employees did not want to work. Though the manager was kind and understanding for the most part, I saw much nepotism in who received management roles. One assistant manager was even the first cousin to the store manager, granted by marriage but still related. I was promised and asked if I wanted the assistant manager's position on more than one occasion and then passed over for it. When I complained about it, others were hired to cover my hours and they were cut. Also, I was listed as a part-time employee, which meant I did not receive benefits, but for the vast majority of the time I worked 40+ hours a week.
There were FANTASTIC and loyal customers who made my days fun and often worth coming to work. Over the course of the time I worked there my pay compensation was hardly worth the time I spent away from my family.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Pay, benefits, advancement
Poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJSeptember 21, 2018
I was employed there for a short period of time. I never knew what I was going to work until the day before, I was never given a schedule. I was called in to work on a day I wasn't scheduled, but they had claimed I was suppose to even though I was not given a schedule nor did the manager ever speak to me, when I wasn't able to answer their call or go in they decided to call an emergency contact of mine to complain I wasn't there. I wasn't shown or told how to use the employee portal. No communication, the manager was a no show at work or left hours before she was scheduled to. I still haven't received my pay from the 2 weeks I was there. I can't get a hold of the store manager, I can't get a hold of anyone from payroll, and I can't get a hold of anyone from human resources.
Pros
Friendly customers, decent products
Cons
No benefits, poor pay, poor management, lack of communication, no breaks, poor company in general because of how it is run from the top all the way down, no advancement
A good first time job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 24, 2019
You create your own flow while working there, and if you're lucky, you'll have great coworkers to converse with while stocking the shelves.
It started out nice as my first job, but scheduling becomes bothersome when a store manager makes the scheduled hours around their own time. They give themselves overtime, leaving little hours left for the rest of our team.
District management began to threaten employment because our candy bar sales were below what was expected; We ask each customer that comes to the register, but customers just don't want them.
Don't try to "personalize" your appearance. Ex: buttons, hats, etc. It's a write up, as it goes against dress code.
Pros
Friendly customers and coworkers, good hourly pay, works with your schedule
Cons
scheduling is random every week, the selling of promotional items at the register has become excessive
Worst Job Ever
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 30, 2019
I don't know where to start. Long hours. Most of my shifts were from open to close. High turnover rate. Management doesn't care about employees at all. Had to work alone alot. High expectations and no hours. Was without a store manger for months. No one to push freight. I continued to ask for help and more training. My requests fell on deaf ears. My DM is a joke. Was told to find my own replacement when I was deathly ill. No compassion what so ever. I was an Assistant Manager. My pay was a joke. I was told by the powers that be that my store was "ghetto". I never felt safe working alone. Locks on front door are a joke. Was also told when working alone I'm not allowed to lock the doors to go to the restroom. Never had a break. Never. I've been there since July of last year. I'm actively looking for a new place to work. Whatever you do...don't work for Family Dollar. You will regret it.
Pros
I live across the street
Cons
No breaks...Long hours...No Support from Management
Take the bull by the horns!!!!
Training Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 18, 2018
Hard work and people skills is all it takes.....
Signed up for 52 hours a week and after building an amazing team thats what I work.

There is no place for a "woe is me" attitude if you want to be a store manager and get paid.

Great management across the board in my district and region. Support is there when needed.

Worked at this store for almost five years and love it.
CSR for 9 weeks, asm for 2 months, and have been SM for the balance.

Nothing in life is free , nor is it given to you. Take the bull by the horns and run with it !!!!!
Pros
great atmosphere. great place for a career. benefits
Cons
Co-workers are great but upper management is horrible
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2018
Company has a very high turnover rate because of non communication between upper management and employees. Pay is horrible also I was supposed to receive a raise after 90 day probation period but didn't. In the 5 months working there the store had 3 different store managers and two complete staff turnovers including district and regional managers. Most of the time the store was short staffed so there were either no breaks or they were short.
Pros
An income
Cons
No breaks, short staff, not paid enough
Stay away.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 4, 2019
Well for starters they offer Benefits but at a super high cost, it was costing me more then half my pay. There is no to very little training, i was showed to close and open once and was expecting to be a expert. The stores you have to work in are in very poor conditions, the store on Yale had a leaking roof for years and black mold in the ceilings walls bathroom and back stockroom, other stores have non functioning back doors. If a employee has a family emergency, you will have too work double and triple shifts because no other store wants to help out. I was robbed at gun point and all that upper management offered was "Good job". Evidently if you close the store you will have come right back and open the store on a regular basis. which only leaves 6 to 7 hours between shifts. you are on register all the time, and left alone for 6 to 7 hours at a time. No breaks are ever offered, and was told on many occasions you do not get one.
Pros
Can't say there was ever a pro.
Cons
everything i said below.
Empty promises
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, MANovember 23, 2018
I worked for FD for over a year, and continually had a promotion dangled in front of my face with no sign of a follow-through. Despite being just an assistant store manager, I was given all of the store's tasks while my manager enjoyed having every weekend off (despite needing to be in the store at least one weekend day). I was left alone in a store with over 1000 dollars in its drawers/safe, leaving me susceptible to robbery.

If I had the audacity to fall ill, I was shamed and threatened. If I went over hours to make sure someone was in the building, I was shamed and threatened.

I was told we would be bringing new people onboard so that it wasn't the same 3 people working throughout the day, but no interviews were scheduled, noone was hired, AND there was a STACK of applications in the manager's office collecting dust.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lying management, Poor time management

Want to know more about Family Dollar?

Ask a question
Great entry level retail job!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 18, 2019
Perfect place to work if being in retail management is of interest to you. This is a great company to work for that provides the ability to move up very quickly in ranks to gain that managerial experience needed to move forward with a career in the upper ranks of retail.
Pros
Great customers, straight forward expectations.
Cons
ZERO breaks, no benefits, low pay
A Great Family Oriented Place To Work
ICC 02 (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYOctober 31, 2018
I worked there for over 2 years. If you show up, do your job, stay busy and continually ask to keep learning, you can go far in the company. Management is there for you. The culture was team and customer oriented. Great team work and leadership. The busy seasons would keep you going from the time you clocked in to the time you clocked out but you earned a good paycheck with great benefits.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Hours
Cons
Holiday hours
Excellent company to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lovington, NMSeptember 23, 2018
Great retail company to start with and build customer service skills in a fast paced environment. Challenging at times but well worth learning the skills to advance. Career opportunities available . I've worked for Family Dollar for 6 years. I'm very satisfied with the company. Even though at times I feel that at store level we are forgotten about periodically. We work hard for corporate office in order to build a better company for us all but again I'm not complaining I love my job 😀
Pros
pto, sick days, great benefits.
Decent place to work have loyal customers
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KYFebruary 11, 2019
Managers are not given enough hrs to get jobs done, management have too many hrs working alone and corporate expects truck of 589 pieces to be done in about 39 hrs and of that 18 hrs mgr or asm is by themselves waiting on customers and vendors and 4 more hrs mgr and asm due to lunches and breaks so actually corp saying that size truck should be done in 17 hrs which is nonsense, them schematics change at least 3 times per section not counting seasonal and holiday areas, mgr no control over stock because corp. orders what they want for the store whether needed or not
Benefits
Cons
Understaffed. Store cold in winter
Don't work here
Customer Service/Sales Floor Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 19, 2018
They expect you to not only be the cashier, but to be the stocker as well. They want you to come in, clock in, and get started right on a "u" boat. Meanwhile, the manager is sitting in the make-shift breakroom which is just a microwave and a table in the corner of the backroom eating breakfast from the shelves. This is a horrible place to work, no room for advancement unless they like you, they want you to stock all the shelves assigned which are often times for than 4 or 5 separate isles in an hour all while still taking customers at the registers and getting them out in a timely fashion.
Pros
Horrible hours, Horrible people, Horrible management
Cons
Horrible hours, Horrible people, Horrible training
worst job ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNDecember 27, 2018
if you have a family that you like spending time with family dollar management is not the job for you. the work life balance is pro work. store manager are supposed to work 52 hours a week but i have never met a manager that works less that 70 hours a week. the pay is competitive but all the hours one works make it seems like you are being pay less.
Cons
over work
Customer service
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 16, 2019
I enjoyed helping the people in the community also I work for the company for just under a year.I have many years of retail experience and was relied on heavily to work the weekend/evening hours that other employees did not want to work. Though the manager was kind and understanding for the most part, I saw much nepotism in who received management roles. One assistant manager was even the first cousin to the store manager, granted by marriage but still related. I was promised and asked if I wanted the assistant manager's position on more than one occasion and then passed over for it. When I complained about it, others were hired to cover my hours and they were cut. Also, I was listed as a part-time employee, which meant I did not receive benefits, but for the vast majority of the time I worked 20 hours a week.
Pros
The Community
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits, lack of humanity
Challenging Fast Paced Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
Worked for company for 11 years as a store manager. Is very challenging at times and fast paced during holiday seasons. Benefits packages are good and option to purchase company stocks. Felt like Upper Management really isn't concerned about employees, as long as stores open and cash register's ringing they are happy. In the 11 years my stores had been robbed 6 times including a friend of mine who was killed in robbery. Don't feel adequate payroll is given out and in many instances the manager or assistant managers are working by themselves alot and running unnecessary risks. Therefore I would not recommend friends or family work for the company as too many safety issues at store level.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Safety risks, lower pay for CSR'S
It's a paycheck
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateAugust 19, 2018
A typical day at Family Dollar can be hectic or boring depending on the location. You are on your feet for your entire shift, work alone a lot, have to unload tractor trailers, stock, etc. Raises are based on store shrink which is nearly impossible to control. My raise last year was .05 cents. Workplace culture can be awesome if you have a great team that works together. It REALLY depends on your team. You actually learn a LOT about customer service and working smart due to low hours and a huge to-do list. The hardest part of the job is Unloading the truck if youre not in a palletized store, and the cutomers can be AWFUL. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving and payday. Which is bi-weekly. There are 2 paid holidays a year for full time employees only, and the health insurance is expensive. The PTO time is alloted once a year for full time employees only. Christmas bonus is a coupon ranging from $10-$50 for first year employees and is taxed out of your paycheck at capital gains rate.

And a quick PS: Have fun getting a hold of HR or technical support.
Working at Family Dollar
Performance Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2018
Getting notarized occasionally for a job well done. The fun was meeting new people, and helping them to succeed in the business.
Traveling and meeting my peers. There was not enough of payroll hours to run a store and be fully staffed. Hard to get good help for the stores due to locations. Always looking for great talent. A lot of hard work. Advancement is Great if you want it!

Pros
The pay in management
Cons
Having a work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

53.1K
43.2K
33.8K
21.7K
11.6K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Family Dollar.

Powered by Comparably