Family Dollar logo

Family Dollar Employee Reviews

Family Dollar insights

Based on 4,993 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Work-Life Balance

Found 14 reviews matching the searchSee all 18,915 reviews

Manager responsibilities

Responsible for overseeing the entire store operations, Balance cash drawer and petty cash management, established deposits, Maintained appropriate cash limits, Perform cash management, customer service, Keep a record of excess or less cash at the end of shift, Manage total store level operations, including staff hiring, training, evaluation and work schedules, Handle budget planning and tracking, accounting and payroll, Coordinate inventory control, receiving; merchandising (plan-o-grams) and store maintenance, Worked with store managers to ensure merchandise changes aligned with sales patterns, Worked directly with vendors to confirm and verify shipments, Managed all aspects of merchandising, window displays, and stocking, Ensured excellence in customer service and resolved all problems at the store level.

Good people but...

Overall the people I worked with are ok but everything started to fall on my shoulders. I left the company after my wife got sick and I had to come in a little late. Instead of simply understanding this emergency was written up. That was just it for me.

Very diverse place to work with a range of different products to offer the community

I have been working for Family Dollar and its been my highest paying job. All the customers have been very friendly, and the store manager is very efficient in doing her job.

Absolutely loved my job!

I was the store manager for a few years, I absolutely loved my j ok b. I wish I could of received a little more payroll for more employees. It also helped that the staff I had made my job much easier!

poor

You know how you define "SLAVE", you're that person. Everything they put them on your shoulder. They'll take the life out of you. NO MERCY...Take a moment before making your moves.

Pros

Not enough hours in your payroll that a manager has to work extra.

Cons

health insurance

Managers are overworked

managers are overworked, associates are under paid. hours are long, rewards are non-existent. not a very good environment, and growth is hard. you are expected to put the company before your family

Pros

Cons

managers work +60 hours a week, no overtime

Good empoyees

Expect a fast paced work environment and nice people,okay pay,wonderful customers,good location,steady work,a great place to gain experience, a over all good experience

very busy place

My day started off by making sure all the money from the previous day was all accounted for and managing employees. coworkers we fantastic. there were really no hard parts to this job. most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers

kind of boring

I didn't enjoy working there even though i got promoted. The job there wasn't that great. I loved the customer service aspect because it was i enjoy meeting new people.Stocking kills time so its always good to do that. The job was repetitive so i easil mastered everyting there s to know about family dollar

Pros

Cons

no discounts. minimum wage and after promotions, still no enough money to be made

Enjoyable work enviroment

Not a bad place to work, wish we could have more payroll! I have a great staff and enjoy working for Family Dollar.

Cons

Payroll

Jobs at Family Dollar

See more jobs

Great company

Especially for teenagers who are basically starting to earn income.

Bad management

My typical day at work, Is very stressful.Manager is very disrespectful towards employees. My co-workers are very respectful at times, very helpful.The hardest part of the job is when the store manager is present making the job harder by being disrespectful, calling names etc.

Pros

Get to shop

Cons

No lunch breaks, Name calling, Profanity towards employees, Harassment.

Good work experince

A work day for Family Dollar is a experince that I could carrie to any other job. I have learned to deal with different type of customers from mean to the most nices people. I am a new store manager as before I was a Asst Manager. The experince as a store manager is much more than I thought. Learn something new everyday. The coworkers that I have are very hard workers. The hardest part of my job is the work load is very stressful.

Pros

The pay and DM help

Cons

The long hours on my feet

Most customers were very rude

Not enough hours to support ones self. The job required eveniung shifts only til close. Customers were rude and very obxious.

Cons

only closing shifts available