Family Dollar Employee Reviews

11.4K
Found 12,031 reviews matching the search See all 12,046 reviews
Fun and Energeticc Enviorment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 18, 2018
Family dollar is exactly in the title, Families come in all thw time for household or personal items. Very "home-oriented" kind of store. Family dollar is for the family ans i recommend.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Breaks
One of the worse places I ever worked
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 18, 2018
The company cant run there stores at all. They want the store ran with one or two people at a time. They don't care if you have to work open to close 7 days a week.
Manager is not professional.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 18, 2018
I am a very hard worker and comitted to my job, however this store manager, is not very professional. I was offered an assistant store manager position for another store, and my current manager does not want me to leave. He has started cutting my hours, and treatened to fire me if I continue to pursue management opportunities.
Extremely stressful and unfair to associates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Black Creek, NCAugust 17, 2018
Part time associates are worked 9 or 10 hour shifts while salaried management works 7-8 hour shifts. This saves money on labor for the company. Associates work non-stop in store juggling customers and stock. Bonuses are promised for monthly "push inventory" but although the associates actually do the selling, only management receives the bonuses. But they don't tell anyone. Long hard hours for very little money and termination for not pushing items.
Pros
Cons
No employee discount, no breaks, bathrooms are locked and have to be opened by the manager every time you want to use one.
Favoritism is terrible
Asst Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mecosta, MIAugust 17, 2018
As long as u kissed butt to the Manager u were golden. Starts out fun and quickly turns cut throat. If the Manager likes u u will be ok I'd not watch out.
benefits
Cons
everything
Not the place for me.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 17, 2018
They where just heartless to my injuries and rude about it. Still to this day I have pains that put me in the bed. Not the place for me but it might work for others.
Pros
It's a job and I lobed helping people.
Cons
Not the place for me.
Great work place.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2018
Working at Family Dollar has its ups and its Downs some days were a lot better than others we had some very great customers and some whack jobs if you ask me
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Not everyone is making what they should
Giving great customer service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NC 28501August 17, 2018
Had a planner to go by always try to hit your marker everyday no matter what the task is. The object was to keep the shelf stock at all times so the customer would not have any trouble finding items.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sometimes as a manager no breaks
Horrible Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 17, 2018
No hours. Store manager uses hours from the store for themselves. No communication. Schedule switches and informs no one then writes you up for not showing up for your shift. Theft constantly. I am an Assistant Manager and get 20 hours a week if I'm lucky. Barely making past minimum wage.
Pros
Plenty of time off
Cons
No hours, no help, no communication
Very Toxic Culture
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 17, 2018
Constantly getting robbed or stolen out of, very unfocused culture, lots of under the table things going on, dm manager very un-engaged with the team of store managers
Pros
Good pay, good experience to grow
Cons
toxic culture, toxic company, not enough associates per store
Good for a career change/
Level 1 Store Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2018
Family Dollar is good for a career change but compensation is not sufficient for Cost of Living. Not to mention it is not competitive and it is likely the reason we are constantly short staffed and doing IT, HR, and a little Payroll all in one position.
Pros
Great Management, Great Co Workers.
Cons
Compensation, Way to focused on Cutting cost versus actual needs for the business.
Productive Workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLAugust 17, 2018
The Family Dollar in Johnson Square, Hollywood is often very busy. Mindfulness and time management are some of the important working etiquettes one should have in working in this workplace. The management is good, co-workers make even the hardest job bearable.
Pros
flexible time schedule
Cons
short/none at all breaks, no benefits
higher standards than district manager.
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILAugust 16, 2018
overall company is a growing experience. treat management unfairly on daily basis. expect to work 6 days a week at a minimum of 50 hours a week. if employees don't show up district manager does not offer any help for them to solve issues. becomes the sole responsibility of the store manager to cover. so store managers are working 80 plus hours a week. they will promote whomever they can just for coverage, which is not a good business move for the stores or the company. when expectations of an assistant manager are higher than the district manager there is a problem. Always made excuses for everyone but never wanted any excuses. showed favoritism on promotions.
Never work here
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2018
Worst place ever to work in my life. They over order on the shipments. No good hours, paid time off , sick time off. Its just not a place you would want to work. Maybe in high school
Great starting point for a manager
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2018
I learned a lot from family dollar abou being a manager. I learned how to be assertive but not rude or vulgar. The manager that trained me was great and very helpful.
its okay can you alot of work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 16, 2018
A typical day at family dollar. its definitely has no order at all. You deal with people stealing throwing bikes threw the window , pushing you threw doors getting threated everyday . being disrespected being cursed out because of my skin color. as a assistant manager I closed sometimes with females and we had no security. The management there could be way better . they communication sucks and they don't really listen to the store workers on how much we complain about problems they never got back to us about it. work place culture is different people. the hardest part about that job is they think we are super heroes and they want u to break our back and they don't even care about us . the most enjoyable thing about the job at family dollar is making the customers happy
Pros
helpuing the customers
Cons
no security, little employess
Fun work place , fast paced , learning experience
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2018
This was a nice job i actually liked it but the only thing was they get robbed too much it’s a risk of putting my life in danger real bad safety hazard. Wish they did better with security for family dollars locations
Pros
Nothing free
Cons
Short breaks
fun workplace ablilty to expand your skills
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 16, 2018
i learned how to be more creative in a workplace . I also learned more social skills with a better range of people coming from a clothing store to an actual food clothing and household store.
Pros
family dollar stick together as a family
Cons
dealing with the daily theives and cons
productive day at work
Stocker/Unloader and cashier (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 16, 2018
A typical day at family was at noontime it gets rough and the crazy people come in with alot of drama. Also, by working there i pick up some good habits like for example, holding my coworkers accountable for what they was or wasn't doing at that time.
Pros
eat the store food
Cons
short breaks
Great work place it’s a mini family
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 16, 2018
Loved working for the company I gained so much experience working there It’s all up to you if u want to move up in the company I went from a high paid cashier to a assistant manger within two months it was an amazing experience
Pros
Working for the company
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight