Family Dollar Employee Reviews

family oriented enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 21, 2018
employers were fair and staff worked hard. There was plenty of room for advancement within the company at the store level as well as corporate. Everyone was respectful.
benefits
Cons
if there is no relief at times you may have to work longer hours.
yuck
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 21, 2018
this place was so chaotic to work for, manager flips all the time, district managers sucked, horrible pay no raises in a timely manner. no praise of good work done.
Customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 21, 2018
Everything in their is fast paced and you have to be fast on the register and also have to keep your eyes open for those who walk in the door . When its not busy you have to clean up after yourself.
Great manager, poor company
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 21, 2018
I loved my manager at Family Dollar she was amazing. However The "higher ups" were terrible. Making poor decisions that effect us on the floor when they have never worked an hour on the floor themselves.
Pros
Terrible Corporate Managment
Cons
Simple job
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MAJanuary 21, 2018
Assisting store manager running a retail store,training new employees,running cash register,unloading trucks for their weekly stock,stocking shelves on sales floor.
its ok to work there
Assistant manager, Cleveland, oh (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 21, 2018
it ok to work here the boss was ok. hours was not to good once you work for a while. it was agree if I work I had a set schedule which included me to work weekend but after a few months that change cause a family member was hires and he trump my house
Funny to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2018
Nice place to work and shop. Not not very organized or we'll put together it has a certain fun every now and then but it's mostly hard work restocking recovering Cashing Out customers.
Tale of Change
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCJanuary 20, 2018
Started with family.dollar when we had to unload trucks box by box on the metal roller system and left unloading them boxes stacked, shrink wrapped on pallets with a manual jack.
The company used to be fun and exciting but overtime has grinded its managers and workers down to the point of no recover.
Managers and assistants arent paid enough in my opinion. There would be times mgnt would have to work anywhere from 2- 4 hours or longer by themselves depending on payroll, call offs,etc..No communication from District Managers to employees who request information about an issue policy. No guaranteed security for the store, its workers, or customers. Ideas/concerns made to feel not legit and always wrong when presented to chain of command. Overall i feel compassion, direction, and professionalism of the company has decreased severely over the years.
Pros
Not hard, relaxed environment
Cons
Working with public, no guaranteed amount of hours.
No hours minimum pay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2018
Not good no one works together unprofessional and rude management no good no breaks shift lead unprofessional store unworkable limited hours of work with unfair pay
Pros
Experience
Cons
Short breaks if any
work you like a dog
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Diamondhead, MSJanuary 20, 2018
Family dollar stores expect their salaried paid employees to work 70-80- hours a week with no extra pay. when you was scheduled off you was on call and they would have you run 3 stores at a time with no extra pay. Never had time for your family
Pros
its work
Cons
will work you to death
ok place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 20, 2018
I had fun working there but hated the fact that I mostly worked alone and had to consistently run a register. In doing so I didn't get any floor work done or stack on the shelves. The pay was meager but considerable for most other stores.
Pros
enjoyed the hours and the freedom to work what needed to be done
Cons
always alone and getting nothing done
Overall Ok
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 20, 2018
I worked at the company when it was Family dollar and before it was bought out by Dollar tree so I can't comment on the culture and experience of what it is like working at Dollar Tree.
It was a nightmare
Retail Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJanuary 20, 2018
It was a terrible experience. I worked literally by myself. There was one other person that always worked with me. Lines would be so long and nobody would ever back me up.
A Year at Family Dollar.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 20, 2018
It was an okay place to work at. The hours were long and the pay wasn't all that great but overall you met great people and the 401k plan was actually really good. I never used any of the medical benefits but overall it was a good experience in retail.
Goos and okay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 20, 2018
I had to work my way up ti be a manager but only to come and find out when it was time for promotion it was always everybody else. It was stressful at point
Pros
Good benefitx
making customers feel like family
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 20, 2018
working my main concern is customer service. I will go above and beyond to help my customers. i have learned a great deal from being a manager that i could bring to future jobs.
A patient manager
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 20, 2018
I learned the importance of expiration date on food, medication and the importance of rotation of said products. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and helping new customer fill their consumer needs. This job was the first in this field that I had and the managers were great in helping me learn what it took to do my job well.
Very fun and busy workplace.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stephenson, MIJanuary 20, 2018
I loved working at family dollar! There were a few kinks that could've been worked out with the ordering process, but overall it was a very comfortable work environment.
Pros
Employee discount, friendly work enviorment
Cons
Ordering issues such as sending too much of one item and not enough of another.
Family dollar
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 20, 2018
When i first started here it was quiet it was slow pace and thwn as time went on welost our manager we had a hostile work enivorment everyday but over all .. All family dollars are not like that i just happen to be that way
Family dollar
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 20, 2018
very disfuction , assistant manger running over the hiring manger .. they couldn't count draws right mangers was never on time to open in the morning . Only had 2 cashiers outta a whole crew team .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Dollar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9