Family Express Corporation Employee Reviews

Was offered assistant manager promotion twice....then told i was never offered promotion.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 3, 2018
Solo shifts.
Work alone 7 of 8 hours
Running entire store
Never enough help!
Offered promotion twice/denied offer of promotion twice
Family run, so if you are a phenomenal worker wuth 109's of customers loving you, and even one person in family of owners does not like you, you will never be promoted, might be de-moted or fired.
Dud not recieve a raise for over a year & it was for 16 cents!
Pros
Early work day, off before noon
Cons
2 raises totalling $.16 in 3 1/2 years
Internal restrictions
Sales associate/food service specialist (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 9, 2018
Within the company, they have a good idea about what a company should be ran like but the upper management do not follow these values and make everyone's lives and jobs horrible to deal with. They do not take into consideration what anyone is going through and do not care. "Leave it at the door" and "I dont want to hear it" and very common responses when you are going through something very difficult. They are so strict on their policies that many people have turned down the job or flat out quit because of it. For example, any employee who brings in a competitors drink cup ( fast food chains or convienience store chains it doesn't matter) any cup that does not say family express is prohibited and grounds for termination on the spot.
Pros
Cons
No breaks at all, not allowed to sit to eat, no overtime, no discounted or free items (i.e drinks or meals)
Management doesnt manage.
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 17, 2018
Bakery has potential with the right management. You can't sit in the office talking to young girls all day and expect things to run smoothly. They are never on the floor. They make their own rules according to their benefit. Handbook is a waste I wouldn't bother with it.You can make one mistake, and there is a good chance you will get a Final written write up for it. Certain employees are aloud to run a department who are not in anyway a boss, run the show and treat people they way they want whether it is good or bad. If its bad management does nothing. Team leads are left to run the floor. One employee runs around the floor harassing and bullying people only for the Senior Team lead to say "They just want a reaction" instead of reprimanding the problem worker. The make up the rules as they go. No organization on managements part. Schedule is changed on a daily basis. A 6-day rotation is expected, They don't take care of issues or problems on the floor unless its an absolute must. Hr is a joke. Don't expect them to do anything if you have an issue. You will listen to someone that sounds like a used car salesmen .Would keep an eye on your hours on the time clock preferably take pictures. Alot of clocking in or out and seeing "Modified". Applicant Beware!
Pros
Only thing good is the hours and the bakery associates
Cons
Too many to List...
Productive workplace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 15, 2018
Fast paced environment. Working as a team player. Poor management. Not a "family" based company. Good benefits after 90 days. Would not recommend this place to anyone I know. They do not care about their employees.
Benefits
Cons
Don't care about their employees.
They don't care out the store managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INJune 5, 2018
The store managers are salary. Expectation is 55-80 hours per week. If an employee calls in, the manager is expected to pick up all called off shifts as there is no overtime allowed for hourly employees
Quick paced
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 21, 2018
The work was fast paced and the employees were very friendly. Working 5-2 was very convenient for me. I needed something with higher pay and more benefits such as healthcare and also was not allowed overtime.
Pros
Set Schedule
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible place to work.
Facilities Technician (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 1, 2017
Honestly worst job you could ever ask for. The owner is a dumbo and his three sons aren't much better! Stay away unless you feel like constantly getting attacked by people. They talk about culture and welcoming people but that culture is out the window after about a week of being there. OH also they're really good to your face but don't let that fool you because they'll turn on you in less than a minute. Also you can't get a bigger raise than 3 percent unless the owner says it's okay...
Pros
They didn't care how much money they wasted.
Cons
Pay sucked. Atmosphere sucked. Gus Olympidis.
fair
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INAugust 14, 2018
i enjoyed working at family express. The coworkers worked really well together., The manager was very down to earth and tried his best to appease everyone.
Super fun!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 13, 2018
Great place. Everyone on staff is super friendly from corporate level to store level. Very hard to get hired into the company but they almost always hire from within and will work with you to advance in company.
Would not go back again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medaryville, INApril 18, 2018
Family Express was my college part time job. The only reason I continued to work there was because I loved the customers and my store manager. All the "higher ups" act like they care about the employees and customers but they only care about money. Family Express wants you to think they are a family, but they are not. They are only out for their own interest and do not care how they get where they want to go.
Caring Employer
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  La Porte, INMay 22, 2018
I absolutely love working for this company. They care so much about employees and will make sure you are happy and stay. And the customers are awesome, definitely make it worth coming to work everyday
Pros
employer cares about employees, great wages
Cons
no breaks, lot of standing/walking
Think again...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rather not sayJanuary 14, 2018
Think again, don't get fooled. They expect way too much, and aren't willing to properly train you once you've finished orientation. You are constantly picked apart being told all you do wrong... No compliments. Pay is okay, but no overtime. Management talks behind your back, and looks for anything to write you up for. Like I said, run!!!
Cons
Very fast paced and lots of room for growth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, INApril 23, 2018
My manager was fun and the work went by quick. The pay is fair for the work you do, and you get to meet awesome regulars. I worked at a store near the lake, so during the hot summer weekends, we would get really busy and occasionally run out of ice. Other than that, it was a great time.
Pros
pay, schedule in advance
Fast Paced with bias and unprofessional management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 17, 2017
A typical day at work was like that of any other convenience store. Make sure everything is stocked and coffee is fresh. I reserve personal beliefs on the professionalism of the management.
Pros
Building great relationships with regulars
Cons
Management, lack of advancement opportunities
Fast paced, fun place of employment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterton, INDecember 31, 2013
A typical day at Family Express consisted of meeting customer's needs, and keeping the store tidy and stocked creating a work place we could be proud to work in. I learned a great deal about how to be a leader amongst my peers, and set good examples. The store manager was one of the hardest working people I have ever had to privilege to work with, and with her tutelage I was on the path to advancements in management positions. My co-workers were very pleasant and essential to our success as a whole. The hardest part of the job was resigning because this is a company I could see working with long term. The best part of the job was working with the general public, and being part of what felt like a family.
Pros
Employee discounts on coffee and fountain beverages
Cons
No designated lunch breaks
Nothing good to say
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 8, 2018
I have nothing really good to say. The management within my store at the time was horrible. She had no sense of boundaries and suggest things or send things that were completely not her place to say. That was enough for me to say no thank you and leave.
Over worked and unvalued management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 25, 2013
Managers have little free time for themselves or family. Stores are constantly under staffed and store managers are required to fill in any holes even if that means working over 80hours a week and going weeks with no days off with no compensation. The best part of the job is the customers you get to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Family healthcare would be your entire check. Long hours.
fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 29, 2014
Typical work day was making sure customers were happy by providing a clean safe environment for them. Making sure that we had the products for them and that they were being treated with the Family Express culture. I learned a lot about managing here. This was my first real taste of management and I loved it. It was more of a challenge than I was expecting but Family Express has a great support system that was very helpful. My co-workers and I worked very closely together. We were willing to help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job was dealing with anger employees. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many wonderful people that were both customers and friends.
Pros
good culture
Cons
no breaks
High stress, no benefits
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INSeptember 17, 2016
Family express is exactly the opposite of what the name of the company would suggest. They do not value their employees or their families. They make promises to employee candidates they do not intend to follow through on; i.e. salary and benefits. Once hired, they give little to no support from upper management and do not respond when employees reach out for support. All stores are over worked, under appreciated, and under staffed. In over ten years of retail management experience, this is the worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Higher than average starting salary
Cons
no benefits, training, or support from upper management.
Great Company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Highland, INAugust 25, 2016
Family express is a great company to work for. It really feels like the company itself, and the management at my store, both care about the employees. The work itself is satisfying, and not very difficult. There seems to be a lot of room for improvement, and you get a performance review every 6 months, always with a chance of a raise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Express Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.