Family Express Corporation Employee Reviews

They don't care out the store managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INJune 5, 2018
The store managers are salary. Expectation is 55-80 hours per week. If an employee calls in, the manager is expected to pick up all called off shifts as there is no overtime allowed for hourly employees
Caring Employer
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  La Porte, INMay 22, 2018
I absolutely love working for this company. They care so much about employees and will make sure you are happy and stay. And the customers are awesome, definitely make it worth coming to work everyday
Pros
employer cares about employees, great wages
Cons
no breaks, lot of standing/walking
Very fast paced and lots of room for growth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, INApril 23, 2018
My manager was fun and the work went by quick. The pay is fair for the work you do, and you get to meet awesome regulars. I worked at a store near the lake, so during the hot summer weekends, we would get really busy and occasionally run out of ice. Other than that, it was a great time.
Pros
pay, schedule in advance
Would not go back again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medaryville, INApril 18, 2018
Family Express was my college part time job. The only reason I continued to work there was because I loved the customers and my store manager. All the "higher ups" act like they care about the employees and customers but they only care about money. Family Express wants you to think they are a family, but they are not. They are only out for their own interest and do not care how they get where they want to go.
There is a lot that goes into working there
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 5, 2018
It has it's moments that are great and fantastic but more times than not was there a high level of stress and not a whole lot of backup. They need to focus more on their family motto, it didn't always feel like that.
Productive workplace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 15, 2018
Fast paced environment. Working as a team player. Poor management. Not a "family" based company. Good benefits after 90 days. Would not recommend this place to anyone I know. They do not care about their employees.
Benefits
Cons
Don't care about their employees.
It is a productive place to work.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, INJanuary 27, 2018
It is productive with most people helping each other and practicing team work. It has a comfortable feeling, where you can get to know your customers by name but still provide excellent customer service.
Think again...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rather not sayJanuary 14, 2018
Think again, don't get fooled. They expect way too much, and aren't willing to properly train you once you've finished orientation. You are constantly picked apart being told all you do wrong... No compliments. Pay is okay, but no overtime. Management talks behind your back, and looks for anything to write you up for. Like I said, run!!!
Nothing good to say
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 8, 2018
I have nothing really good to say. The management within my store at the time was horrible. She had no sense of boundaries and suggest things or send things that were completely not her place to say. That was enough for me to say no thank you and leave.
Worst Employer Ever
Administrative Assistant to the President/CEO (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 8, 2017
First week there, it was evident that joining this employer was a mistake. Employees expected to work 24/7, including during vacations. Compliment to criticism ratio is not balanced, unrealistic workload expectations, stress-level is unbelievably high. Would never recommend this employer to anyone.
Pros
Cons
See above

Want to know more about Family Express Corporation?

Ask a question
Associate manager
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 3, 2017
Decent place to work. I did not intend on leaving the job, however, after the loss of my wife I had some life changes which included no longer working at FE.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
forced in on time off
Fast Paced with bias and unprofessional management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 17, 2017
A typical day at work was like that of any other convenience store. Make sure everything is stocked and coffee is fresh. I reserve personal beliefs on the professionalism of the management.
Pros
Building great relationships with regulars
Cons
Management, lack of advancement opportunities
enjoyed working there
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INSeptember 12, 2017
Enjoyable place to work yet no advancement. My manager was very awesome. Regular customers were always a treat. Very clean company as far as their store are concerned. Corporate was always changing so it made some things difficult as far as consistency was concerned.
Pros
enjoyable company
Cons
corporate changes
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 9, 2017
I loved working for Family Express! I anyone asks me about Family Express, I highly recommend that they work there. As for one of the managers that I got to work with I would say she needs to be talked to by a higher up person on how to talk to her employees and ask them what they can and can not work. I was never asked if I could work mornings or afternoons, I don't mind working either shift but I have a 3 year old son and one allow vary few people to watch him. The vary few people that I let watch him have jobs to so I worked around their schedule and my old manager worked with me on it, then this new manager came in and never asked about my work schedule.
Ok for temporary work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Wheatfield, INSeptember 8, 2017
Nothing much to say other than the company expects too much for not enough pay. Stressful day after day. Management is very unreliable, and they never get back to you in reasonable time
Excellent Company!
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 31, 2017
I loved working for Family Express. The only reason I left was for a job that offered overtime, because Family Express does not offer overtime at all. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Treated like family! People are held accountable! Shifts are fun and go by quickly! I always felt safe because there were procedures with cash that lowered the chance of robbery!

All in all, I would give this place 4.6 stars!
Pros
Awesome place to work!
Cons
No overtime!
over all was decent to work for family express
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INAugust 31, 2017
Work here went quick due to being a busy store. Enjoyed the customers. Management at this location did not care about the workers only if it benefited her. The company as a whole was good to the workers. However my situation was over looked so I chose to leave.
Pros
Company Picnic yearly and Holiday Bonus
Cons
No breaks you eat when and if you can, smokers could smoke outside if doing garbage and parking lot outside
Nice workplace when management cares
Sanitation Crew (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 29, 2017
The other employees were generally great. The problems that I and others ran into lied with negligence of management and eventually HR. Employees complaints are not often taken seriously unless brought up at a meeting when the owner's son is present. Otherwise, management ignores your complaints.
Pros
positive environment, build relations
Cons
management is lazy, problems are too often allowed to progress
shipping clerk
Shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 14, 2017
I worked in the warehouse . It was fast paced. had to load trucks for the drivers. The job was decent the people I worked with were great. Didn't offer many benefits
Limited
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 10, 2017
Family Express is a company that works you to the bone and cares nothing about you...petty over every lil thing, illegal voice recording on the cameras, life made a living death by corporate...the crew is fantastic and most of the managers as well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Express Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.