Family Farm and Home Employee Reviews

Featured review
Family Farm and Home selected this as a representative review
Fun time working , always laughing , smiling
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJune 26, 2018
Fun place to work for. Always went in with a smile. Never once had a bad day. I loved working there. Would work there again or find something else thats just like that store.
Understanding environment without too much pressure.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Gladwin, MISeptember 21, 2018
A typical day is what you'd expect of a cashier; you count the drawer before flicking on a light and going to work. You scan items--or punch in the bar code numbers--and handle the cash exchange between the customer and yourself. Offer the item of the month, process returns, etc. The management is friendly and very understanding. The most enjoyable part of the job is joking around with co-workers. The hardest part of the job is how repetitive it can get.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management
Cons
Understaffed
Too new of a company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, INSeptember 17, 2018
The training was horrible, thus impossible to meet their expectations. Their HR department consists of people that do payroll, that’s it, and the upper management is a joke.
Pros
Payed well, good customers
Cons
Upper management, training, no structure
September 20, 2018

We are sorry to hear you felt your training was inadequate, this isn't feedback we are used to hearing. We take all comments seriously and use them to improve our commitment to our team!

Productive and moderately paced work environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MISeptember 15, 2018
love working there, face paces, keeps you busy, sometimes it can get overwhelming due to the issues sometimes of lack of staffing. overall great work place
Stressful and uncomfortable work environment
All positions (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHSeptember 14, 2018
Horrible work environment...Treated badly...Claims to be a training store but there is no training and if you try to ask a question you get a nasty response and told they dont have time to show you anything
Pros
Cons
treated poorly
September 20, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are committed to creating a productive work environment within all of our locations. We apologize that you feel this was not the case.

Able to be yourself
Sales Leader/Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sparta, MIAugust 31, 2018
Every day seemed to be about the same. Go to work, do freight that came in, go home. Customers are usually pretty nice but that depends on the location you're at.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Boring
Not a place for "outsiders"
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manistee, MIAugust 26, 2018
The family in Family Farm and Home should be preceded by "dysfunctional". Performance of the store manager seems to be secondary to personal satisfaction of the employees. If an employee complains about the manager the manager is immediately taken to task. The reason for the employee being unhappy (i.e. they have just been written up for failing to perform their job or violating a written company policy) is immaterial to the the corporate office and any allegation is taken at face value without investigation. This puts managers and assistant managers in a no-win position; if the management team allows the non-performing employees to do only what they want to do, the store suffers and the management team is held accountable, if the non-performance of the employees is addressed and they complain to the corporate office, then the management team is accused of "hostile management practices" and held accountable. Those managers who have "grown-up" in the company are treated completely differently than outside-hire managers.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Poor management, nepotism, favoritism
September 20, 2018

We apologize for your negative experience. Family Farm and Home is committed to a productive work environment in order for our team members and customers to have a great experience.

Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 13, 2018
Family farm and home was very relaxed. Basically just was a cashier and in free time stocked shelves and cleaned around the counter. Only stressful time was on busy days and rushes.
Pros
Non-stressful, breaks
Cons
Low pay
poor management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 24, 2018
I started and was told I would get more hours than I ever received, was also told things with scheduling that were never followed through with. Would not recommend applying or working at the Holland location
September 20, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will make sure this does not happen again in the future. Family Farm and Home is dedicated to the members of our family and wants to make sure all team members have a good experience as a part of our family.

Good Job
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 19, 2018
If you are looking to advance quickly it may not be the job for you. Management is good depending on the location. They stress Family values but don't see much action taken in it at store level. Decent job if you are not looking for high pay.
Pros
Owners come to visit regularly
Cons
Bad GM's
Family Farm
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Hermiston,AlbanyJuly 12, 2018
,baled hay,did bark dust,feed livestock,cleaned stalled,took horses out to the pen,helped break horses, ran the swather,ran the combine,water the animals, helped burr the animals, dairy
Pros
got to be around the animals and being outside
Cons
no health care

Want to know more about Family Farm and Home?

Ask a question
Very family orinated
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, MIJune 28, 2018
Best part is if you enjoy working and learning multiple job positions this is great place. Lots of cross training. They thrive on promoting within and offer training to learn their products.
Cons
Short staffed
Great group of office and support folks to help you,
Store Manager/District Manager (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJune 1, 2018
Good Company, I have worked with the owners for over 30+ years, I truly respected the owner(s), and My results showed my impact to support the company.
My over all results started as a trainee and moved to Manager where over the years our teams achieved over 8 yearly company awards and we were being recognized on our performance and results to plan. These results were achieved at many locations where I was assigned. I also many times chosen to support and create a team of trust that we achieved as a Team. I moved up the ladder to take on additional challenges to support our company growth. I was picked to open and and support the hiring of over 650 folks to set up 18 new stores in Ohio over a 2 year process, This was achieved by fixing the many mistakes from our support folks to communicate the key plans to get our entire company on the right page. With this action we became a better team.
Pros
good support team
Cons
New Boss, new direction, no pan on how to achieve the changes
A farm and country store with outdoor focus
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, MIMay 30, 2018
It was a good place to work with its focus on outdoor products and sale of chicks, ducklings and turkeys in the springtime.

Management was easily accessible and provided overall good support to the store.
Pros
A great place to work if you're involved with farming and animals
Cons
Scattered scheduling
Solid company w/plans for future growth
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioMay 17, 2018
I like the company and the job as a whole. I love the culture and nature of the job...customer service and sales to Agriculture customers. It's the utter lack of training that I've received that has turned me off and pushed me to looking for another source of employment. It's not the company itself...it's my local manager's lack of detail and attention that has pushed me away. I work an opposite schedule as the GM does and almost everything I've learned so far, I've learned through trial and error. It has turned off lots of customers and then I get disciplined for having upset customers. Even if I am offered my own store in the future, I will fall flat on my face as I am receiving almost zero training. How can anyone be successful in an environment like that? It's very discouraging and dis-heartening. I am not the type of person to whine and complain to upper management so I'll just quietly leave and seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Customer base
Cons
Quality of life
Good place to bring up kids
Owner/Operator Farm & Ranch (Former Employee) –  Curtis, NEApril 27, 2018
Loved a lot of things about it but was not able to make the living we needed to at the time and it was very stressful. Looking back there are things I would do different if I could do it over.
Pros
Great life
Cons
too little profit margin
Autonomous environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sparta, MIApril 16, 2018
Did lots of different tasks for this company but was told I would not advance due to my gender. I like many aspects of the company and how they run. I think there are limitations for females but I would still recommend people shop there.
Cons
Short breaks, mismanagement
Corporate Takeover
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 16, 2018
Family Farm and Home was a delightful family farm store when i started, it had the corporate scent here and there but overall it seemed less ruthless than other companies. That has changed very rapidly in recent months as revenue, sales and metrics have become the one and only concern. It is now an endless barrage of threats to make impossible sales plans and quotas and it never ends.
Pros
flexible hours.
Cons
corporate presence is stifling.
24 hours a day 7 days a week
Farmer (Current Employee) –  Kirklin, INApril 6, 2018
Not for just anybody. Its a sun up to sun down time of job and working on every holiday to ensure your way of life.........................................................
Good
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIApril 4, 2018
Good job but not enough hours,. Although I liked working around animals and working with people I wwould continuebut the management was poor and was not good at team building.
Pros
working around animals
Cons
management
Productive, with some fun
stocker (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 11, 2018
I was a stocker, and there was always a lot to do for the day, good balanced place with the mixture of hard work and easier tasks. hard part was putting skids of 50lb bags of feed onto another skid or place onto the rakes that they use. easier parts tot my job as a stocker was to operate the forklift and assist customers or just to put skids away from the stock. I learned a lot at FFH, such as the forklift and also bettered my communication skills immensely.
Pros
15% Discounts
Cons
lower pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Farm and Home. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about