Family Health Centers of San Diego Employee Reviews

Friendly environnent
Certified ophthalmic technician II (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAFebruary 7, 2019
The company promotes its dmployees. Treat them with respect. Give paid time off. Work culture is friendly and cares for people. Work hours are regular.
A place that is good if you want to gain experience but not to stay for a career
Patients Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is my coworkers and helping people that are really in need.
Favoritism
Poor management
Low pay and overworked.
Good benefits.
It’s a great job to get experience
Data entry for authorization requests (Former Employee) –  4725 market stJanuary 16, 2019
This is a great job to get experience, you are working in a fast pace environment and team players is a must ! You learn something new everyday. You learn about all the departments even if your working for a specific department.
Good
Good
Prefer not to answer
Manager, Human Resources & Talent Development (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 16, 2018
Not the best company to work for but the CEO is amazing and fair. However, other managers or executives get upset when the CEO is approached. So... No open door policy.
Pros
Gret CEO
Cons
You will work a min of 12-14 hours a day
productive and always learning something new at work
Patient Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 15, 2018
the most enjoyable day at work was most of days of the wk, manager and co-workes always friendly and you will learn something new each day its like a surprise, loved working for FHCSD.
Horrendous leadership
Management (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2018
I am a long-time employee of FHCSD in the management field and see things. It really is an unpleasant experience working here. You have very little say or control even of your own areas. You are led to believe that you manage your own staff and control your own success, but this is simply not the case. Executives micro-manage EVERYTHING, every penny, every decision, every outcome. It is impossible to work under such a big brother approach. I could go on, but not necessary. Stay away!
Pros
Area teams are awesome
Cons
Executive (admin offices) are short sighted and ineffective
Poor clinicial supervision and pay
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 8, 2018
Did not gain adequate/helpful clinical supervision while intern/LMFT. Management poor, punitive and lacking in moral. Pay is about 80% of what is standard in industry for MFTI and LMFT
Cons
Salary, supervision
Fun
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2018
Great place to work with full benefits. It provides a great atmosphere to perform all duties to the best of your ability. I would recommend the place to anyone.
Fhcsd
HIM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 29, 2018
Great company to work for. They also have great benefits. They also have multiple locations which is a plus to relocate. I also think the hours of operation are great.
Just be careful
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 24, 2018
The thing is that I witnessed a lot of things with different managers and employees, the lack of respect every one has. No real opportunities to grow, you have to literally bow down and kiss up to get a good evaluation. If you speak and questions things they will view you differently. Management only cares about the company, your personal life does not mean a thing. Employees gossip about patients health issues or other employee personal problems, managers and supervisors get away will a lot of illegal activities, employees steal or alter time cards, some managers and directors are really good friends with their favorite employee/s and they hang after work and talk about who's getting fire or who's messing up or who's getting investigated. There's absolutely no privacy. The lack of opportunities to grow. Just avoid this company or unless you want to see the real problems.
Pros
PTO and benefits
Cons

Want to know more about Family Health Centers of San Diego?

Ask a question
High turnover, poor management
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2018
Although FHCSD is a large organization, it is poorly run. It appears that they are interested in grabbing as much grant money as possible without having a clear ability to carry out the new programs' requirements. Behind the scenes, it was very stressful trying to organize a new grant/new program with additional grants being added to mine (so new program requirements, milestones, etc). I was a new employee who started interviewing my staff in my first week. We hired my first direct report seven weeks after I started and I had three direct reports within months. They had no clients, and although tasked with helping to bring up the new program, they were completely ineffective. It felt like I was set up to fail. When I told my manager that I need to say "no" to some of the work demands, he replied, "You can't say no. None of us can, we have to do it all." No thanks.
Basic 8-5 job
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
If you have a family and you like spend time with them don't work at FHCSD. They aren't understanding of family situations and don't care as long as clinic needs are being met before any personal struggles. They will use your PTO if you call out not your sick leave therefore draining your hours if you have any emergencies. Management acts very childish and there is too much drama. Expect to work a lot for not a lot of pay.
Pros
you learn a lot
Cons
bad management, too much drama
Always seeking new ways ofimproving customer satisfaction
MENTAL HEALTH CASE MANAGER II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 16, 2018
Nice place towork, good coworkers, good management, good building, opportunity to grow if you have the right degree, good benefits, nice area, good views from the bulding, impeccable offices, good air conditioning
Pros
Secure job
Cons
No paid sick
excellent place
Executive Assistant/Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2018
if you like travel, this is a great company to work for. over 8 resorts, lots of room for growth, excellent benefits, great salary and management is amazing
Not a bad company to work for
Patient Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
Expects for you to reach a certain goal
Always busy
Over all you get experience
multicultural company
Need to reach your goal of productivity that is required
The department has good employees
Pros
Work appreciation
Cons
Over worked
Not Exceptional In Any Way
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2018
I see an average of 2-3 clients a day and the rest is paperwork and meetings. HR is disorganized and grossly unsupportive--they protect the business, not the employee. Supervision is under par around ethics involving client care. Raise for going from an intern to licensed clinician is around $2.00/hour which takes months to get approved. Workplace moral is understandably pessimistic (except for the IT guys who seem chipper). Growth opportunities are none--the program is designed for interns obtaining hours and clinicians are expected to leave upon getting licensed. Average paperwork times for progress notes are 20 minutes per note, intake assessment is 2 hours face-to-face contact with client then 2-3 hours of paperwork afterward, discharge paperwork is about 1.5 hours, and paperwork for getting additional sessions approved by insurance takes about 3-4 hours. Understandably, paperwork is done off the clock frequently which is no secret to management. Database lacks features that are primary in most other databases (ie: auto-save, accurate spell check, etc.) and database crashes frequently. This job compares to being expected to run a marathon (your raise depends on your success) and being equipped with a pair of waterlogged waders.
Pros
Hours for Licensure, chipper and patient IT guys
Cons
Management, Hr, income, paperwork
Official response from Family Health Centers of San Diego
August 21, 2018

Family Health Centers of San Diego has a large thriving mental health department, with over ninety clinicians dedicated to providing mental health services to the underserved population of San Diego County. The vast majority of our therapists see patients throughout the day and document in the electronic medical record in accord with the standard of care. This posting references those few staff who see patients at FHCSD under one of the County mental health contracts. Unfortunately, due to the requirements of the County contract, there is a significantly greater amount time needed for paperwork and administrative responsibilities. It is common for FHCSD’s MSWs to receive a substantial pay adjustment upon receipt of their license. We are looking forward to Governor Brown allowing the State of CA legislation to take effect, which would provide the same status to Marriage and Family Therapists as LCSWs. Like LCSWs, this legislation would recognize Marriage and Family Therapists as billable therapists for Medi-Cal patients. Additionally, I have found that HR provides exceptional services at FHCSD, striking that difficult balance between supporting employees and protecting the organization.

Great Mission, needs new leadership
Private (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2018
FHCSD claims a culture of "no judgement no blame" but this is only enforced onto the front line staff.

Leadership does not send a consistent message to staff.

Compliance is only followed when there is a survey scheduled. The is a drastic ramp up in corrective action prior to a survey and compliance falls by the wayside shortly after.
Small Company with a Small Mentality
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2018
Everything at FHC is in the Stone Age. They talk about wanting to keep up with technological advances and changes in procedure, but are too scared to actually do it. Very strict atmosphere and no autonomy.
Official response from Family Health Centers of San Diego
August 21, 2018

Dear Former Employee,

Based on the statements above, I must to presume you left the organization before we underwent our systems transformation here at Family Health Centers of San Diego. I'd be thrilled to tell you about what we have changed, and what that means for our employees, and the greater organization.

In 2015, we began a journey to migrate FHCSD to an industry leading HR technology platform that would provide the robust functionality and scalability we need to continue to grow as an organization. We chose an integrated, hosted platform that supports our employees from the moment they review a listing as a candidate through their entire time with the organization. We went live with this platform, Workday, in 2016.

This migration has been a great success, for Human Resources and the Greater organization! We now provide an "Amazon Like" employee and manager experience with Employee Self Service, Manager Self Service, extensive automation of approvals, advanced workforce analytics, workforce reporting, etc. It has been a true transformation - we once had seven different systems to manage what is now in Workday!

We would be thrilled to tell you more - just reach out!

working independently and out in the community.
Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  823 Gateway Center San DiegoJune 9, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I was able to work independently, with low supervision. generate/schedule my own appointments/agenda and work on different sites and out in the community.
Pros
working in the community.
Cons
Not having a desk to work while working on different sites.
Could have used more support
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2018
The company is growing and expanding very fast, and sometimes this means that the emphasis is on opening new clinics without supporting the employees that are already there.
Very frustrated that the medical assistants and other workers can't afford to buy healthcare...while working for a healthcare company! There is something wrong with that!
Overall, I did learn a lot there b/c it is kind of "sink or swim" but it worked for me for a long time.
Pros
lots of autonomy
Cons
lots of autonomy (rope to hang yourself with)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Health Centers of San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Reviews by Location