Family Health Centers of San Diego Employee Reviews

Always seeking new ways ofimproving customer satisfaction
MENTAL HEALTH CASE MANAGER II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 16, 2018
Nice place towork, good coworkers, good management, good building, opportunity to grow if you have the right degree, good benefits, nice area, good views from the bulding, impeccable offices, good air conditioning
Pros
Secure job
Cons
No paid sick
excellent place
Executive Assistant/Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2018
if you like travel, this is a great company to work for. over 8 resorts, lots of room for growth, excellent benefits, great salary and management is amazing
Not a bad company to work for
Patient Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
Expects for you to reach a certain goal
Always busy
Over all you get experience
multicultural company
Need to reach your goal of productivity that is required
The department has good employees
Pros
Work appreciation
Cons
Over worked
Not Exceptional In Any Way
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2018
I see an average of 2-3 clients a day and the rest is paperwork and meetings. HR is disorganized and grossly unsupportive--they protect the business, not the employee. Supervision is under par around ethics involving client care. Raise for going from an intern to licensed clinician is around $2.00/hour which takes months to get approved. Workplace moral is understandably pessimistic (except for the IT guys who seem chipper). Growth opportunities are none--the program is designed for interns obtaining hours and clinicians are expected to leave upon getting licensed. Average paperwork times for progress notes are 20 minutes per note, intake assessment is 2 hours face-to-face contact with client then 2-3 hours of paperwork afterward, discharge paperwork is about 1.5 hours, and paperwork for getting additional sessions approved by insurance takes about 3-4 hours. Understandably, paperwork is done off the clock frequently which is no secret to management. Database lacks features that are primary in most other databases (ie: auto-save, accurate spell check, etc.) and database crashes frequently. This job compares to being expected to run a marathon (your raise depends on your success) and being equipped with a pair of waterlogged waders.
Pros
Hours for Licensure, chipper and patient IT guys
Cons
Management, Hr, income, paperwork
Official response from Family Health Centers of San Diego
August 21, 2018

Family Health Centers of San Diego has a large thriving mental health department, with over ninety clinicians dedicated to providing mental health services to the underserved population of San Diego County. The vast majority of our therapists see patients throughout the day and document in the electronic medical record in accord with the standard of care. This posting references those few staff who see patients at FHCSD under one of the County mental health contracts. Unfortunately, due to the requirements of the County contract, there is a significantly greater amount time needed for paperwork and administrative responsibilities. It is common for FHCSD’s MSWs to receive a substantial pay adjustment upon receipt of their license. We are looking forward to Governor Brown allowing the State of CA legislation to take effect, which would provide the same status to Marriage and Family Therapists as LCSWs. Like LCSWs, this legislation would recognize Marriage and Family Therapists as billable therapists for Medi-Cal patients. Additionally, I have found that HR provides exceptional services at FHCSD, striking that difficult balance between supporting employees and protecting the organization.

Great Mission, needs new leadership
Private (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2018
FHCSD claims a culture of "no judgement no blame" but this is only enforced onto the front line staff.

Leadership does not send a consistent message to staff.

Compliance is only followed when there is a survey scheduled. The is a drastic ramp up in corrective action prior to a survey and compliance falls by the wayside shortly after.
Small Company with a Small Mentality
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2018
Everything at FHC is in the Stone Age. They talk about wanting to keep up with technological advances and changes in procedure, but are too scared to actually do it. Very strict atmosphere and no autonomy.
Official response from Family Health Centers of San Diego
August 21, 2018

Dear Former Employee,

Based on the statements above, I must to presume you left the organization before we underwent our systems transformation here at Family Health Centers of San Diego. I'd be thrilled to tell you about what we have changed, and what that means for our employees, and the greater organization.

In 2015, we began a journey to migrate FHCSD to an industry leading HR technology platform that would provide the robust functionality and scalability we need to continue to grow as an organization. We chose an integrated, hosted platform that supports our employees from the moment they review a listing as a candidate through their entire time with the organization. We went live with this platform, Workday, in 2016.

This migration has been a great success, for Human Resources and the Greater organization! We now provide an "Amazon Like" employee and manager experience with Employee Self Service, Manager Self Service, extensive automation of approvals, advanced workforce analytics, workforce reporting, etc. It has been a true transformation - we once had seven different systems to manage what is now in Workday!

We would be thrilled to tell you more - just reach out!

Could have used more support
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2018
The company is growing and expanding very fast, and sometimes this means that the emphasis is on opening new clinics without supporting the employees that are already there.
Very frustrated that the medical assistants and other workers can't afford to buy healthcare...while working for a healthcare company! There is something wrong with that!
Overall, I did learn a lot there b/c it is kind of "sink or swim" but it worked for me for a long time.
Pros
lots of autonomy
Cons
lots of autonomy (rope to hang yourself with)
Bottom line focused
Marketing/Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2018
FHCSD is run like a tight ship by the CEO,with her significant oversight. This has led it to be successful and maintain a steady budget, but can be hard for others to feel like they have autonomy.
poor communication
provider (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2018
Management only cares about the number of patients seen, and not the quality of care.
Poor communication among various departments within leadership with preferential treatment given to certain employees.
Information you are given is often inaccurate or incomplete.
Pros
helping underserved
Cons
leaderships lack of understanding as to how to best treat patients
Exceptional in every way
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
I believe that the employees do have the attitude to be exceptional in every way, The patients become people you see everyday some remember your name because you went that extra mile to be exceptional, They remember the way that I address them and treat them. I learned that Family Health Centers is Exceptional in every way, The clinics have so many grants that patients can be seen even if they have no money or insurance.The First 5 program Helps pregnant woman and children up to the age of five receive free dental screenings and treatment.
The Hardest part of my job was not being affected when I heard patient crying because they are in pain or just need someone to talk too. To not let my emotions get away from me.I
New opportunities
Health educator (Former Employee) –  San Diego CaliforniaApril 12, 2018
Fun open an invite of place to work, plenty of opportunity to grow with a community, everyday add new task dealing with challenging new I'm just serve demographics.
Fhcsd is a well oriented place of business for staff and patient's
HIM Tech II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2018
I love working for fhcsd staffing and patients are a pleasure to work with. A typical day at work is easy and the days go by fast. It could be a little stressful at time,
Productive and Fun crew.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2018
It’s a great company to be part of. Amazing staff and doctors, everybody is very nice and respectful. Great place to work at, wouldn’t mind working there again.
It is a good place to work at
Medical Assistant Job duties consist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2018
I enjoy working at family health centers of san diego. It has given me so much experience with interacting with patients and also seeing a wide diversity of people and what they have illness.
Pros
Feels like family
Fast-paced work environment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2018
The people who work there are enjoyable. The work environment is fast-paced and can be demanding at times. Staff are definitely under paid, but the benefits of the organization can make up for it depending on your current needs and/or wants. A great place to start off in community healthcare and for networking in local healthcare settings.
Job experience in the many positions at family health centers
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAMarch 14, 2018
I learned and experienced many things at family health centers. I learned how to properly open and close up a clinic. Multitasking and deadlines with trainings, paperwork and reports was important to the county program. In my experience I had to manage 3 different sub programs in the clinic for over 3 years. I excelled at customer service and I, as well as my manager, got many compliments on my work.
Pros
Paid time off, 401K, and benefits
Cons
More collaboration within departments, better management, more employee discussions with upper management, and workload to an employee
Good experience but too much paperwork
MFT Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2018
I got a lot of experience working with children and families but county paperwork is too much. I did like the flexible hours. However the company has to advancement for licensed MFT’s.
Pros
Made my own schedule
Cons
Paperwork on nights and weekends
Fair
Nutritionist /Health Educator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2018
I would recommend this job but it is highly stressful and mangment only care about numbers. They double book the provider and they don't care about their patients.
Pros
Benefits, good pay
Cons
poor managment
Great place to start and continue your career
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 26, 2018
fast-paced, learning opportunity, a great place to start when you are just coming out from a Medical Assistant program. Great locations, you have to be ready to work hard and stay focused on your tasks.
Pros
great benefits and locations
Cons
management issues.
Incompetent managment
Physician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 12, 2017
Extremely incompetent management. Disorganized. Poorly trained staff (even the supposedly highly trained staff - including MDs).

Most enjoyable part of the job was leaving after done with work.
benefits
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Health Centers of San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Reviews by Location