Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, Inc.

Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, Inc. Employee Reviews

it was a long time ago, a lot might have changed
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
my experience with them was a while back. They have grown and expanded. at this point i can't formulate much of a perspective if my experience with them ended in 2007.
It was good
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYJuly 4, 2018
Until you werent needed anymore. Once you were not needed you were ignored. no matter how hard you worked, once you were no longer useful you didn't matter.
Pros
The guys you help are amazing
Cons
the staff is jaded.
Family Residences and Essential Enterprises (FREE)- great service to their individuals
Applied Behavior Specialist (full time) (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 23, 2018
As a behavior specialist at FREE, my typical day consisted of traveling to one of 6 locations that I was assigned, and sometimes multiple locations within the same day. I would write, edit and update behavior plans and psychology related documents including: psychiatric summaries, consents and levels of supervision forms etc., as needed, for the 75 or more individuals to which I was assigned. I would also provide behavioral training, crisis intervention and in-service the staff as needed. Furthermore, I also attended annual, semi-annual and interdisciplinary team meetings pertaining to the individuals to report current information and progress. I also kept records which included daily data collection and ABC(Antecedent, behavior, consequence) program notes. I would also provide counseling and develop educational goals and materials for specific individuals as needed.
At FREE, I learned to multi-task and prioritize various objectives, while collaborating with managers, supervisors and direct care workers to ensure superior quality and service for the individuals I served. The workplace culture was relaxed with much autonomy provided to the behavior specialists. Any questions or concerns were communicated at monthly supervision meetings or as needed. The most difficult part of the job was ensuring individual and staff safety during a behavioral crisis. To improve efficiency, order and safety during a behavioral crisis, I practiced crisis drills regularly, which helped staff feel more prepared and led to better outcomes. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing
  more... individuals make progress behaviorally, socially and within various areas of daily living skills.  less
Pros
autonomy, great supervision and leadership
Cons
funding issues
Eh
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYJune 19, 2018
I did not enjoy working at FREE. Management was inappropriate and grossly unprofessional. The hourly rate was not sufficient for the amount of work expected to be done.
Good
Assisting residents (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYJune 4, 2018
I made some really good friends and built some really good relationships with my clients during my time at FREE. Like any company, they have their ups and downs
Good job for young men and women but not a place to retire at .
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYApril 19, 2018
Good job to start off in the mental health field but due to the lack of good management and staffing issues creates a stressful environment. Company doesn’t practice what it preaches.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Not enough staff
Unfair job responsibilities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYApril 12, 2018
Rules are bent and broken for some but not others. Play by the rules, and you'll end up fired or they will make your life so miserable that you end up quitting. A real shame because the individual are amazing and they end up suffering due to terrible administration.
productive and nice very frendly staff
Assistant Manager/Cook (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 12, 2018
very
busy nice environment love my co workers good manager I enjoyed working for free I enjoyed working with mentally challenged children and adults it just wasn't enough pay for a single parent
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough pay
a decent place to work and you will get attached to the individuals served there.
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 6, 2018
very busy fast paced most days as a supervisor. some management don't believe in helping supervisors out in crisis and on the other hand some do, just depends on who you get. Hardest part of the job is the high demand of the supervisor to be many things to all people, in some cases with no assistant to help relieve you. Upper management sometimes turns a blind eye until you are at your wits ends.
Pros
Get to meet all kinds of people with all levels of abilities.
Cons
as a supervisor- covering call outs, doing reviews, long hours some days, unrealistic deadlines and demands.
Very Rewarding
DSP (Current Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYApril 3, 2018
Working with the individuals and making their quality of life better makes what you do better. The guys in the program and how happy they are to have you as staff, make the job worth it.
Productive and fulfilling mission statement.
Manager of Contracts, HUD (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 3, 2018
Various Federal, state and local government contracts requiring keen attention and constant monitoring. Excellent communication skills and knowledge of database management as well as knowledge of basic accounting principles a must.
Pros
Easy to reach job sites.
Cons
Short lunch period.
Happy
Direct Support Professional/shift leader (Current Employee) –  Southold, NYFebruary 27, 2018
i loved working fo them it was one of my favorite positions. the company offers good benenfits good employment opprotunities and you can work when you want
Great place to learn how to integrate those with challenges in the community.
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYFebruary 19, 2018
While working in FREE, I have developed compassion and respect for those that have challenges in life. I have also learned that those with challenges can overcome and integrate into the community with supports that are wrapped around their personal goals.
Pros
The ability to help individuals achieve goals in life, create a spirit of compassion, leading how to collaborate with others, and the ability to grow in leadership skills.
Cons
Hiring process
Do not work here!!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYJanuary 31, 2018
I have worked at this agency for 3 years now and I can honestly say it has done nothing but decline each and everyday. The management are disrespectful, inconsiderate and manipulative a-holes who don't care about anyone but themselves. I have never worked in such an environment where the management was so unprofessional and disgustingly rude to everyone including clients. I would never recommend this horrific place to anyone! The pay is disturbing and you never get recognized for the work you do, only the small things that you don't do.
Enjoyed the flexibility
BIS (Former Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I enjoyed the flexibility of working in the group homes. I was able to work independently and with the group home management team. Directors were unhelpful, not visiting the homes often. Most communication took place through e-mail.

Rush openings of group homes, hiring staff without experience to handle behavioral individuals.

Monthly department meetings and opportunity to attend workshops was a plus.
My introduction in mental health day treatment programs.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Old Bethpage, NYJanuary 16, 2018
I learned a lot as I began working with clients with mental illness or developmental disability in a traditional day treatment program and later in the more progressive program called PROS.
Pros
Lunch truck came to program each day selling sandwiches.
Cons
Very low wages and inconvenient location.
Changing lives one day at a time
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYDecember 22, 2017
Daily I am inspired by those I work with. Working with the community to integrate our wonderful population of men and women. I am blessed to work in this field and it has enriched my life and made me a better person.
Productive work place awesome people
DSP (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYDecember 16, 2017
Great work place ,awesome people,productive fun eviorment , there's room to grow , discounts and so much more , this company is the best to work .....
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Distance of locations
Overall good experience
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Setauket, NYDecember 3, 2017
Lot of changes to management, but the core workers were competent and friendly. Fast paced environment, but can be a strain on personal life more than expected. Be prepared to work holidays, forced shift covers, and constant training
Pros
Friendly people, fun moments
Cons
big bite into personal life sometimes, and the money isn't worth it
it is not worth it
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYNovember 28, 2017
the job is exhausting and the management team is very disrespectful and is not understanding staff is very friendly though and the individuals at the house are friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.