Family Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good work experience
Co- facilitator (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed facilitating MVP training for college students. It was a fast pace and I learned a lot with my time there.I was able to increase both my professionalism and public speaking skills with this position.
Poor management
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  GaithersburgMay 11, 2018
Management focuses 100% on productivity! No "humanity" in Human Services. Promotions are based on friendship, or who you know, or if you are willing to kiss the feet of those in higher positions.
Full of genuine heart and care.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 4, 2018
There is never a dull moment working in this field. The staff are deeply caring and flexible management, but certainly without good self care, burn out is always a risk.
Pros
Family-like work environment
Thriving Environment for Clients and Employees
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAApril 22, 2018
My experience working with FSI is very positive. As an employee I feel that my work is appreciated. My supervisors are supportive of my development in the position I'm holding and in my future career goals in general. In addition, the clients are served with compassion and professionalism. The general culture promotes insuring comfortable environment for both clients and employees.
Pros
compensation for out-of-office travel.
Cons
Healthcare plan has high deductibles.
work life balace is excellent
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work if you have family. Schedules are flexible and management never hassle you as long as your work is done. The flexibility is the best part of the job.
Pros
Family environment, flexible schedule, great management support
Cons
very few raises since company is non profit
The clients were not first priority in the work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 6, 2018
I did like not working their because, I felt that their was no team. I was promise a permanent position in which I did not receive. I became sad.
Enjoyable
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 5, 2018
Worked in the children's shelter. Enjoyed the kids and the staff. CEO was hands on and spoke to everyone. Overall, good place to work. You actually feel cared about.
Worst place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 4, 2018
Unethical, stressful, poor management, no over time, houses are nasty that the client's live in. No room for advancement if you are colored. Management has no clue as to what they want to do and barely pass inspections from CSA
I loved it
In Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVJanuary 19, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the elderly, I loved helping them live their every day life's with my assistance. I love working in home healthcare! Elderly people need more caring people in their life's
Pros
Hang out and talk to elderly
Cons
Getting attached to them.
Exciting work envirmonment
Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MD 20877January 17, 2018
A great place to meet people of different cultures and enjoyable environment. There is so much you can learn and massive opportunities for growth within the company.
Small company that is very friendly to work for.
Assitant in Billing Department (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 9, 2018
I enjoyed this job. It was only a part-time temporary situation but it was very enjoyable. I learned a great deal at this agency and had the opportunity to do a variety of jobs.
Pros
Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Small agency that has few new job openings.
Productive workplace
Family Court Child Care Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Learn customer service skills
organization skills
time management
Made bag lunches for local school's in the district
Prepared breakfast and lunch for school board members
Pros
Lunch was provided
Cons
Short Breaks
Awful people and awful job
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Louisa, KYNovember 11, 2017
I would never recommend anyone to work here !! This place is awful and has poor management ! We had to work over 12 overs a day no breaks , no lunch , no anything , they never paid me what they owed me , nor did they pay anyone else ! If you quit they cut your check and will not send it in the mail or direct deposit they will make you drive 5 hours to get it ! They are awful , hateful people ! Especially DEB AND AMY !
unfair
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 30, 2017
Unfair wages. Management lacked professionalism. They did offer many hours some of which you were required to work without pay. Benefits were probably the only positive note to working here.
Good place to start
Residential Advocate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 29, 2017
If you are looking to gain experience in social services, this is a good place to start. You can learn at your own pace and staff is willing to help each other.
Working Enviornmrnt
MED BILLING ASST. DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 18, 2017
The company as a whole has a great working environment. There are some upper management issues but departments tend to work really well together to solve problems.
Pros
Family life work life balance
Cons
The way decisions are made
Relaxed and involved place to work
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 11, 2017
Everyone is treated as family and is easy to get along with. The work environment is office based with the occasional out of office appointments. Expectations to ac in a professional manner and represent the company when at outside agency meetings.
Worst. Job. Ever.
office geek (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 3, 2017
Management top-down is abysmal. There are far too many "heads" and they are fairly out of the loop with respect to day-to-day operations. Definitely a "dog-eat-dog" / initiative-killing culture.
Very professional supervisors, interested in my progress.
Social Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IASeptember 7, 2017
My supervisors were very professional and were very interested in my progress as a student. The office had many sources of further education which I took advantage of frequently and I was able to learn a great deal from my supervisor as well. My supervisor went over client reports with me and helped me plan for their care, as well as to understand their needs.The Professional people there got along very well and set an excellent example for me.
Pros
I felt valued and learned a great deal.
Cons
The building and the office itself were very outdated.
Challenging but wonderfully rewarding work
Marriage and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 5, 2017
A typical workday as a contract worker involved seeing as many clients as possible, keeping up with case notes and productivity requirements. I learned to use my counseling skills to the fullest keeping a challenging and full case load. Management was as supportive as possible, given the limitations of non profit agency status. The culture of my division was like a warm and caring family. It was sometimes very hard to face some of the incredibly sad and difficult cases. But it was also extremely satisfying to see individuals and families find and utilize their inner resources, leading to happier and more productive lives.
Pros
Supportive, family-like atmosphere
Cons
Compensation could be better