Family Video Movie Club

Clear
2.6Pay & Benefits

Found 22 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,160 reviews
videorentalstorefamilycustomercommissionfuncbd

Not surprised they are going out of business

Poor upper management with their get rich quick ideas have ran this business into the ground. They would cut the amount of employees in the store down to none if they could’ve. Would work 12 hours without a break by myself every shift.

Pros

Movies

Cons

Unpaid overtime

Great place, sad it closed

Management wanted you to be independent which was good. You were also able to earn commission which never hurts. A lot of working just to look like you're working though.

Pros

commission, free rentals

Family Video Movie Club insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Relaxed, fun environment, work by yourself kind of unsafe

Overall working here is great. It's suited best for someone who prefers working alone and can handle multitasking and time management. It is a bit unsafe when your working alone and there until midnight (sometimes creeps Won't leave you alone) it has an opportunity for commission on top of regular pay .upselling is super important.I do feel since you work by yourself you do pretty much everything a manager would do such as closing the registers and paper work ,etc that the pay rate should be higher or atleast the commission percentage. This is a great job to have if your looking for part time or already have another job and need some extra cash in hand.

Pros

Free movie rentals before putting on floor, discounts, friendly staff, understanding and flexible management

Cons

No breaks, eat when you can since youre alone, not enough pay, working alone

Flexible hours

A typical day at work is constant moving. This includes answering the phone, helping customers, scanning in returned rentals, processing new rental shipments, and much more. Usually one or two people are scheduled to work even though most of the time it is busier just so the company does not "go over hours". The times given that you can and cannot work will for the most part not matter as they try to schedule you on days they want you to work. The company is short-staffed and is hesitant to hire more workers. Fun coworkers got me through the day but other than that this job expects unrealistic work with no breaks for not enough pay.

Pros

Flexible hours, commission

Cons

Management, pay, no breaks

it was fun but..

Family video was a fun place to work because you could watch different movies during your shift while you work. But, they had a lot of issues. Some of the managment really didn’t know what they were doing and having to rely on the other employees to get their work done was a waste of effort because 9/10 time they didn’t get it done. They only pay 8.25 and they’re super picky when it comes to hours and availability because they’re so slow. The schedule isn’t consistent because they schedule based on sales percentage. Again, it was fun but I’m glad I’m not there anymore.

Okay

The management is very disrespectful, and does not try to work with your availability. Besides that, the job was pretty decent. You would definitely get a lot of nasty customers.

Family atmosphere

Fast pace job and times or can be really slow. Learn to keep busy and utilize my time wisley. Normally work alone. Trained to open and close store safely and properly.

Pros

Discount movies

Cons

Short lunch breaks because you may be working alone.

Working for Family Video was life changing!

They offered many benefits and helped me become a better employee and person in general. The job was really enjoyable and i would reffer anyone to go and experience the workforce that is Family Video

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Spurratic hours

It was ok

Family video seemed like it would be a good place to work but the hours and paid was not good. The shifts were really late at night and the pay was minimal and there were no benefits.

Good work environment and coworkers

Management and coworkers were great. My hours were sporadic at times, so that was a little frustrating. Job requires you to do more than what is lead believe.

Fun and Friendly Environment

Nice place to work. Hourly employees start off at minimum wage. Managers earn a decent living. It's generally a fast paced environment, always work to do so the days go by fast.

Pros

free movies, comission opportunities

Cons

low pay, repetitive work

Boring

Long boring shifts , not alot of hours to offer. On call shifts would be offered which means you arent guaranteed many hours at all . Computer systems are not up to date at all

Great employees/manager very flexible hours

I enjoy working at family Video. The employees are easy and fun to work with and the manager really knows how to run the store. I feel as though the employees and I deserve a raise since we have been there for over two years but you get what you get considering the company offers flexible hours which are great for college students.

Pros

Free dollar movies and prestreets.

Cons

Not much pay advancement.

Fun employees and great experience

I like the company and they really take care of all of their employees. The hours are flexible. The benefits are nice. Movie discounts and pizza deals are included.

Productive and fun workplace, keeps you busy.

Family Video is a nice, professional workplace. They have good employees, and productive Supervisors. It's Farley busy all the time, so it keeps you busy and entertained.

Pros

Free half-off on movies, free pre-streets.

Cons

Short lunch break, and i didnt recieve many hours.

Great place to work.

Spectacular management staff and environment. Fun and easy going workplace. Great product selection and great discounts/free stuff. Great coworkers.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

No benefits

Fun workplace

Family video was an exciting place to work, but the hours I received were very little and too much was expected for the amount of pay given.

Pros

fun environment and friendly co workers

Cons

little hours, not enough pay, on call all the tme

First Choice of Entertainment to work

Pros: Won't be overworked Half off rentals Free rentals with enough sales Cons: Low hours Low pay May get cut

Can be a fun place to work at

The job starts out very good as your hours are perfect for a student. After you have been there for a while you learn to close and open the store and work by yourself. When I give the store my school schedule it is tough for me to close and get home at 1 am while going to school at 8 am. If i have a test I would like to study before but I am not able. They also do not allow breaks and if you work by yourself for 8 hours, which tends to happen if you open or close on a weekday during the summer, you are not able to take a bathroom break or eat anything for lunch or dinner.

Pros

Good pay with commission opportunities

Cons

No Breaks and slim advancement opportunities

worked here as a teenager

not a bad company as a teenager pay isnt half bad movie stores are closing though

Great job and fairly reliable

Although this isn't someplace you stay for your entire life, Family Video is a great place to start. They pay more to start with then a lot of places and you can earn .50 raises for doing a good job every six months. You also get commission for sales which can add up to a lot at a very busy store if you know what you're doing. I had a slow store and I was able to make an extra $100 a month. It is stressful at times and not for those with a short fuse. The motto is customers first for a reason. They have on call shifts that make planning your life pretty difficult and if you want a decent amount of hours that is looking unlikely now (all part time can only be worked 27 hours a week tops). However, they have a program that's called MIT (Manager in Training) and if you are interested in being a manager one day they will train you. They really like to hold onto their employees once they get them. And watch out for the employment test! It's a killer, with really difficult questions. You need to get 85% to get hired. All in all, it's a great place to work, especially for a student.

Pros

Commission, Consistent Raises, Get to dress up everyday, Option to move up for those that want it

Cons

Employment Test, No real breaks, Can be overwhelming at first, Hard to leave if you have a great group.