Family and Children's Association Employee Reviews

great palce to work for.
Chore worker, senior program (Former Employee) –  Mineola,nyJune 25, 2018
family &children's is one of the greatest non-profit organization in Nassau County, NY.
great staff and supervisor wonderful place to gain knowledge and get support.multicultural workplace. I gained a lot of experience from my CEO and my supervisor, they were always there to help each one of the company employee .always smiling and how fast they used to respond to client's conflict. great place to work.
great place to work
Respite Counselor (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 30, 2018
FAC is a great place to learn. Management is always willing to help and guide you in the right direction. the clients we work for are grateful and amazing
A good place to work, but not a career.
Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYApril 13, 2018
The agency provides numerous benefits to it's employees, and the culture is very accommodative and positive. The only real gripe I have with my specific program (PINS Diversion), is that there is little long lasting incentive to stay in the program. There are not raises, and because of the size of the program, there is little room for advancement. Although the agency is overall pretty remarkable, these positions seem to be starter jobs for those looking to become licensed and then move on.

In short, great place to work, great pay for what I'd consider an entry level job, but little opportunity for advancement so there is not too much incentive to remain a long term employee.
good
Respite Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 31, 2018
company caring and takes very good care of workers befits good too clients pairs clients well with respite workers flexible schedueling pay always correect
Productive and supportive work environment
Individualized Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Family and Children's Association. My coworkers and management were very supportive, and helpful in my time of need. There were great learning opportunities during my time at the organization.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
FCA is very caring organization to the community and is always looking to improve the relationship within the community.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 14, 2018
Workplace culture is friendly; people are always helping out others; relaxed environment;
We are always kept update on the progress of the organization
Pros
Group of friendly, caring individuals to work with
Cons
low salary
Demanding but rewarding
Individualized Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 8, 2018
The job is very high paced and stressful. Multi-tasking is a must to keep up. However, the work with the clients is incredibly rewarding and the coworkers are amazing.
The population we serve is great but I often feel unappreciated.
Respite Counselor (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 4, 2018
I often feel like the clients matter more than the employees. I feel like I do a lot for the agency and I am not supported or helped in advancing myself within the agency.
excllent place grow
LICENSED PEER ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYDecember 25, 2017
this company has the most kindest people you can ever ask for. Thats why they call it family and childrens because they are a family. Each and every employee has an understanding of kids with mental illness and they go out their way to help shape better lives for familes.
fun job and enjoyed the youth
Respite Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYDecember 5, 2017
Fun job if you like working with kids and teaching them activities or communicate . flexible work schedule and times. Sometimes the parents require a lot of assistance.
Pros
kids
Cons
short work times
They closed their clinics
Director Outpatient Clinics (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, NYAugust 13, 2017
Family & Children's Association closed their Behavioral Health Clinics. The remaining staff and programs are performing well and seemed to be staffed by people that were more pleasant.
Pros
providing services to Long Island
Cons
Closed clinics
Great Organization
Respite Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJune 19, 2017
I was able to work at this organization while attending school. Lots of young people worked here with me. I provided social emotional support to students with emotional difficulties. It was very rewarding.
Tight knit community
Family Mediator (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJune 7, 2017
All employees here have a sunny disposition and are a pleasure to work with. Very supportive environment. Since it is not-for-profit employees do not get paid much and often interns are used to manage work load.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
not for profit
Moving in the Right Direction
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Nassau County, NYApril 27, 2017
Most of upper management has turned over in the last 3 years and the new leaders of the organization are working hard to modernize operations and bring in new programs. Lots of good energy throughout the agency. Previous negative comments about HR no longer apply. HR Director is new and staff are very friendly and helpful. Employee concerns are addressed in fair and professional way. Salaries could be better but as expected for non-profit sector. Many recent promotions from within the employee ranks. Excellent training opportunities.
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYAugust 15, 2016
Family and Children's was an enjoyable experience. As an intern, I was fortunate to work with staff members who have a vast amount of experience.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great place work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJune 7, 2016
Great opportunity to work with clients and learn how to better assist with their needs. Variety of programs working with all populations and age groups including Outpatient Drug and Alcohol, PINs Diversion and Residential Group Homes.
My co-workers are fantastic as well as my supervisor.
I enjoy being able to help my community.
Pros
Excellent benefits and benefit leave time
Research the Organization thoroughly before applying here.
worker (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYJanuary 7, 2016
People with very good credentials are immediately treated as suspicious in making recommendations. They are not looking to truly improve the working environment even though they will tell you that on the interview. Salaries are very low as is the moral.
Cons
Healthcare is not acceptable, waste of time if looking to work with this company.
A family environment
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 4, 2015
Preventive services gave me the opportunity to learn about so many different areas of social work. It was great to create service plans with families and see the success when they achieved their goals. Family Ties really is a family unto itself, with supportive supervisors and colleagues who are always ready to help you out.
FCA rocks
Community Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Uniondale, NYApril 12, 2015
My supervisor is amazing. She is very compassionate and fair. This is the internal culture of the company. FCA offers full disclosure with any and all changes internally. If I wasn't leaving the state, I would stay.
Pros
Flex schedule and compassionate supervisors
Cons
pay isn't the greatest
Great Organization
Respite Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 24, 2015
As a Respite Worker for Family and Children's Association, I was required to pick student up from their homes and take them out into the community to show them what resources are available to them. I helped them with problem solving/conflict management, and facilitated group activities and interactions among clients. I learned a lot from my supervisor and a lot about mood disorders as well as other mental health issues. The hardest part of the job was watching clients struggle. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a difference in the life of children.
Pros
good work environment, good clients
Cons
traveling, difficult cases