Famous Hair Employee Reviews

Felt like a low paid employee at a retail store
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 6, 2019
You work hard and charge these prices and don’t get a penny of it. My manager and district manager would lie and say it’s a moving pay scale or something like that. Saying what you make an hour could go up the more you do. But it never did. They pushed you to sell retail and made you do charts and things like you were in grade school. Didn’t feel like a real salon
Cons
Low pay. Micromanaging. Stressful management
Its like sweat shop!
stylist, assistant manager, color advisor (Former Employee) –  WVMarch 31, 2019
I worked there for 12 years only because I was afraid to go somewhere else because I didnt have my own personal clientele. After finally biting the bullet and going to a booth renting salon did I realize Famous Hair was a joke! They do not care about their employees. You are severely underpaid! If you have children this is definitely not the place for you because if your child is sick, has a dr appt, a school function, etc.... too bad! You work like a dog and in time it will make you think you hate what you do! Know your worth! Since leaving there I have almost tripled my yearly wages and I work a whole lot less! I am my own boss and love what I do! Leaving Famous Hair was the best thing I ever did!!!!
Pros
Its busy
Cons
You are working in a completely controlled environment and you will have no life!
Hair stylist position
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, OHJanuary 14, 2019
You do all of the normal hair tasks. It is a walk-in based salon that does not offer nails or tanning services. They do provide facial waxing services also.
Slave driving and unfair
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHJanuary 14, 2019
I was promised a good, hard working team and a fair company. Instead I was given a slave driving company and unwilling "team". I was promised advancement but it is unreachable, with unrealistic goals. Management was unfair, almost like a hierarchy. The oldest people got to sit around and do nothing while the youngest worked their hearts out. There were no "typical" work days because it was constantly changing day to day. I also feel that the company does not compensate us for our hard work. I feel like, as a cosmetologist, I was a replaceable pawn for the company. I did not feel like a cosmetologist.
I was not happy
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCNovember 12, 2018
I was happy with my manager and the people I worked with just not happy with the corporation in general. They took forever to fix anything, their customer service was horrible and they were very rude.
Pros
Cons
Everything was wrong with that company
Amazing
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHNovember 7, 2018
Loved working for this.company.
Fun loving
Provide education and extra training
Offer discounts for family!
Overall great Experiance working here.
Cons
Fun, upbeat place to work
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Tallmadge, OHOctober 8, 2018
Famous Hair is a good place to start out at and learn things when you are coming right out of school. It allows you to build up some clientele. You must be able to work nights, every sat, and every other sun. Salary is okay, but tips kinda make up for it. Hard to sell products.
Great environment
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 13, 2018
I believe Famous Hair has changed corporations since I worked there, so I'm not sure how things are currently. I enjoyed the job itself and the people I worked with, but I did not care for how the corporation had things set up. The pay was mediocre, we did not get vacation days, and the insurance was too expensive to afford.
Horrible experience . Terrible management upper and lower. Very low pay.
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 11, 2018
Don’t work here. Poor pay. Managers don’t care about you only numbers. Gossiping and very passive aggressive environment. Coworkers are very messy. Don’t do it! Lowest pay of any salon in the area. Expects you to advertise, clean, and go above and beyond with your service yet pays you pennies.
Good people, bad pay.
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 2, 2018
Good people, bad pay. You have no freedom with scheduling, its different every week and hard to make plans. You can't call off if you are sick. Ok if you do not have kids or a life
Pros
Product and service discounts
Terrible
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Albemarle, NCJune 26, 2018
So underpaid! No room to grow. You make them all the money. After 5 years there i was making 45% com. High turnover because there was no money to be made.
Excellent clientele
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHJune 14, 2018
As a stylist, you're in a unique position to make your clients look and feel like a million bucks. They're trusting (and paying) you to make them look good, and they deserve your full attention and the full extent of your talents. Fostering and maintaining a positive experience for every client will reap huge rewards for you, both personally and professionally. This is what I loved!! But, I recently worked very hard on myself and I lost 100 pounds. I am very passionate about helping others find heath and balance.
Pros
customers
Cons
no growth opportunity
My own station
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Hubbard, OHJune 12, 2018
Face paced, stayed pretty busy and I walked in there with no confidence and learned how to get it. I learned how to be proud of my work and to let clients know to come back and see me.
40 plus hours aweek no time with family,
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAJune 11, 2018
Working from open to close seven days a week, Could not keep help. one reason was they would not offer flexible work scheduling. I learned lot of great task. I can do all kinds of things for a company. from ordering products. data entry, to keeping everything cleaned and stocked,
Pros
manager meetings
Cons
to many hour no breaks
Stylist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAMay 26, 2018
Great work place, great people. I would recommend to work there they take pride in their work. Overall wonderful place to work, If your a hairstylist.
Pros
You keep your tips
Cons
Have to clock out for breaks
Frustrating
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 1, 2018
We get paid $7.25 per hour if we don’t bonus. You pretty much have to have your own clientele to do well. Also there is no set schedule. Management normally tells you changes that you have to adjust to just for them to change their minds and change it back. You feel dispensable because of the high turnover rates. Lastly there were many times where we were made to work without heat in the winter and the company took months to fix it and they still haven’t figured it out.
Pros
Not too often that I felt burned out by repetitive days
Cons
Breaks not guaranteed. Poor management.
nice place
4 yrs customer service (Former Employee) –  fort wayne INMarch 10, 2018
I didnt mind working here I just didnt like doing color and moved to a competitor who does not do color or perms. Cutting is my forte and im happy i made the switch.
Regis, Famous hair
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHFebruary 28, 2018
Learned how to work at a very quick pace. Hardest part is dealing with stubbron customers and co-workers that do not clean. Most enjoyable is making clients happy and feeling better about their appearance. Typical day is hair cutting, perms, color, waxing, cleaning up after others and yourself, counting register at night and again in the morning.
Pros
The higher your sales, the more money.
Cons
Part time has no medical insurance.
Too much work for little pay
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 26, 2018
Worked like a dog for little pay. All of my coworkers were rude and judgmental, even the manager. They talk about you behind your back and use you stuff without asking! I bought all my stuff and everyone used it without asking. My hours got cut through the busy season around Christmas and I constantly asked for more hours and never got them!
Cons
No breaks, bad hourly pay, rude customers
fun, productive
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCFebruary 25, 2018
fun place to work, meeting new people and learning different personalities, Making people look and feel great is always a great feeling, This place still pays minimal wage plus commissions.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low pay