Famous Hair Pay & Benefits reviews

Felt like a low paid employee at a retail store
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 6, 2019
You work hard and charge these prices and don’t get a penny of it. My manager and district manager would lie and say it’s a moving pay scale or something like that. Saying what you make an hour could go up the more you do. But it never did. They pushed you to sell retail and made you do charts and things like you were in grade school. Didn’t feel like a real salon
Cons
Low pay. Micromanaging. Stressful management
Great environment
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 13, 2018
I believe Famous Hair has changed corporations since I worked there, so I'm not sure how things are currently. I enjoyed the job itself and the people I worked with, but I did not care for how the corporation had things set up. The pay was mediocre, we did not get vacation days, and the insurance was too expensive to afford.
Good people, bad pay.
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 2, 2018
Good people, bad pay. You have no freedom with scheduling, its different every week and hard to make plans. You can't call off if you are sick. Ok if you do not have kids or a life
Pros
Product and service discounts
Frustrating
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 1, 2018
We get paid $7.25 per hour if we don’t bonus. You pretty much have to have your own clientele to do well. Also there is no set schedule. Management normally tells you changes that you have to adjust to just for them to change their minds and change it back. You feel dispensable because of the high turnover rates. Lastly there were many times where we were made to work without heat in the winter and the company took months to fix it and they still haven’t figured it out.
Pros
Not too often that I felt burned out by repetitive days
Cons
Breaks not guaranteed. Poor management.
Too much work for little pay
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 26, 2018
Worked like a dog for little pay. All of my coworkers were rude and judgmental, even the manager. They talk about you behind your back and use you stuff without asking! I bought all my stuff and everyone used it without asking. My hours got cut through the busy season around Christmas and I constantly asked for more hours and never got them!
Cons
No breaks, bad hourly pay, rude customers
fun, productive
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCFebruary 25, 2018
fun place to work, meeting new people and learning different personalities, Making people look and feel great is always a great feeling, This place still pays minimal wage plus commissions.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low pay
I can't get enough work hours every week.
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 26, 2017
The most stressful part about this job is making sure I get enough hours and business (tips) to pay my bills with. I never know what I am going to make from week to week.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Insecurity
quick paced and cut throat, turn over rate was very high
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 11, 2017
crazy shifts, managers were inexperienced, and experienced managers were unwilling to teach new employees, pay was too low for amount of work, not the cleanest environment, nor the friendliest
Pros
discounts on products
Cons
usually no breaks, no guaranteed lunches
Corporations suck
Salon Manager and Stylist (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 9, 2017
Regis is a cookie cutter business ,mass production line cutting.The schedule is terrible and with the pay at minimum wage and low commissions rate ..great for new stylist right out of school maybe for practice but not a good career move,,can’t build a cliental . Negative management
Pros
Instant cliental walk-in only
Cons
All of it, corporation
Stressful workplace
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 6, 2017
The way you are paid is ridiculous
The management sucks
If you are a good worker you will get extremely taken advantage of and will spend most of your time picking up everyone elses slack,
Customers are extremely rude to you especially if you are newer
Managers do not want to take the time to work around any schedule not even to get days off for doctors
Hours are stupid, some days you will only work 4 hours even if you are hired in as full time you will be lucky to even work 30 hours a week.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
no breaks, dumb pay, bad hours
fast pace
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2017
they are and execellent company to work for if you are fresh out of cosmetology school and need to build your skills. they offer training in cutting and color. they also have good benefits
Regis owned
Assistant Manager, Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 15, 2017
Do not apply worse place ever. .pays minimum wage to professional ...horrible since Regis corporation. Took over....stay away....under paid and over worked
Pros
Cons
Owners
decent start for new cosmetologists
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2017
The salon is very slow unless you have regulars or have somewhat of a clientele which is difficult to make because of new hires and hour change. As a result you cant keep a hold on your clients. Management is horrible a lot of micromanaging happens between the district leaders and the store managers. Tips is what really make it worth while. You only will make 7.25 per hour, they have a pay scale if you make a service per hour of $15 or higher which is very difficult since they don't give you a set schedule and say you have to be full time with open availability and managers only make 8 or 9 a hour which is robbery. The only part that makes it enjoyable is making clients smile and doing hair because its a passion.
Pros
tips on weekends, understanding clientel, full time benefits
Cons
Pay per hour, micromanagement, District leaders communication sills, management
Very fast paced environment, high expectations, unrealistic goals
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 11, 2017
The company expects you to maintain a certain percentage on selling retail at all times, documentation may occur if goals are not met
You are expected to be able to service your guests within a certain time limit
High volume salon, must be able to multi-task by answering the phone, and signing in guests into the computer
You only receive a 5% commission for sold retail
30 minute break
Pros
50% discount on products purchased by employees, paid vacation time
Cons
Short breaks, high goal setting, no sick pay
nice place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  dunkirk nyDecember 13, 2016
clientele is great, corporation is very good to work for. flexible hours, off major holidays. many locations to choose from
Pros
staff
Cons
Enjoy the coworkers as though they are my 2nd family.
Licensed Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHMay 10, 2016
The job itself is not stable as I make only commission. I need something more stable with income. You never know when its gonna be busy. There are a lot of days that I just sit there hoping for someone to come in and service them.
Pros
health, vision, dental benefits, 401K
Cons
No Incentives, not stable income, company always lowers the hours worked.
Worst pay in the industry
Salon Manager / Stylist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2016
Owned by Regis Corp this division is being shut down one by one. The salons are not cared for as the company is putting no money into them which is strange because they certainly aren't paying their staff either. Highly stressful as they expect the stylists to build the salon by visiting local stores and handing out cards in the parking lot. Unreachable sliding scale which increases your hourly rate. If you work day and night and are non stop busy you can earn over 9.00/hr!! If not, then I hope you like minimum wage. This is no way to run a salon.
Pros
Cons
low pay, high expectations, more paperwork than an irs audtor
Fun work enviornment
STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 17, 2014
I was a hair stylist I cut, colored, permed, and waxed peoples hair
Pros
I got to meet alot of new people
Cons
they cut our hours in half
not a good place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHApril 28, 2014
Company is always changing and not for the better, they do not care about their employees and upper management knows nothing about what we do. No raises or recognition will be given.
Pros
its a job
Cons
will suck all the passion out of doing hair.
Could be a great job, but getting lost in a corporate world
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 14, 2014
The company seems to be more concerned with numbers and making more money than they are about the quality of haircuts. I love interacting with people and having a new challenge with every client. The public can be hard to work with, but overall the position is a very rewarding one. However, the company can seem like they don't care about their employees. The corporation makes the rules and there isn't much room for flexibility. Overall, its a great place to start your cosmetology career, to build up clientele and gain familiarity with the industry. Over time, however, most stylists tend to leave to find a more independent work setting.
Pros
creative atmosphere, great group of people to work with in the salon
Cons
poor benefits, upper management doesn't seem to care about it's employees, unstable financially