Fannie Mae Employee Reviews

Excellent company with great benefits and a mission statement critical to the American mortgage market.
Senior Portfolio Manager/Servicing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2018
Industry leader. Excellent employer offering rewarding career opportunities to quality driven individuals with a desire to provide the best in American home ownership and affordable housing. Daily mission driven activities designed to meet the needs of its customers and the American homeowner. Working for Fannie Mae for 25 years provided me with an opportunity to learn the mortgage lending system from end to end. However, most of my career was spent in Servicing Management. The culture is one of total professionalism mixed with a great work-life balance focusing on structure and accountability.
Pros
Industry leader, excellent benefits, dedicated management staff, advancement/educational opportunities
Cons
Great company to work for!
REO/Repurchase Resolution Submission Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2018
Overall, Fannie Mae is an awesome place to work and retire. The benefits are amazing, 401k is great, quarterly bonuses if you meet the criteria set forth by management. The company has some good managers in leadership roles unfortunately my department was not one of them. If the opportunity presents itself I would encourage you to come work for FNMA.
Pros
Laid back, Cafeteria onsite, flex time, great benefits, relaxed, a lot of training, and classes, promote growth opportunities and training for employee's, great school tuition benefits
Cons
Leadership did not follow the cultural belief set forth by FNMA, not inclusive, showed favoritism among employee's, Stand offish, unprofessional and rude.
In Transition
Senior Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXNovember 27, 2018
Fannie Mae is a company in transition. The recently departed CEO was able to turn the ship in positive direction but the effect hasn't fully trickled down the management chain. The benefits are great, including 20 days of PTO after your third year, 6% 401K match plus 2% automatic contribution, 20 days of paternity leave, and an onsite cafeteria and gym. The flexible work arrangements depend on the unit; some units allow wfh all the time while others do not allow it all (not necessarily dependent on job function). Fannie is transitioning from a mortgage conduit to more of a risk transferor while under the governance of the FHFA (Fannie operates like the regional Federal Reserve banks - it is an independent company but overseen by a government entity; i.e. GSE). While there is movement to a more open and transparent operating environment there are still many "old school" managers operating quid-pro-quo on a day-to-day basis. This is generally fine for many business functions but makes technical and automation projects to improve business functions challenging.
Experience at Fannie Mae
Analyst and Senior MBS Trader (Former Employee) –  Mae, WAJuly 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Fannie Mae, with the largest benefits being the fact that I worked with a great team on the market desk with individuals that I liked and respected. I also learned a lot about my specialty during my time at Fannie Mae. My primary reasons for leaving were (1) my daily commute from the Virginia suburbs to Fannie Mae's DC location, and (2) my perception that Fannie Mae too often promoted from outside the company and that I faced very slim prospects for promotion into management. However, on net, I have no regrets about my time at Fannie Mae and would still be there if another great opportunity had not crossed my path.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, challenging work
Cons
Lack of internal promotion and advancement policies and practices.
Professional, mature atmosphere. Respectful coworkers. Challenging environment.
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  PasadenaOctober 17, 2018
Loved working for this top notch company. Had many different jobs over the years and learned a lot. Had great bosses that treated you like an adult. I was not micro-managed. Great benefits. Work/life balance could ha e been better.
Pros
Treated like adults, not micro managed, work with intelligent peers that challenge you, great benefits
Cons
Too many meetings, quarterly business reviews were a waste of time
Poor Planning, Poor Management, No Training Worth While, No Real Advancement, Team Members and Management Don't Listen to Suggestion for Industry Std
Technology Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 17, 2018
Poor Planning, Poor Management, No Training Worth While, No real Advancement, Team Members and Management Don't Listen to Suggestion for Industry Std f
Pros
Pay & Benefits are Good
Cons
Poor Management, Chaotic Environment, No-one listens to suggestion unless it comes from management
Working at FannieMae
Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 27, 2018
As the job culture is very good, I like working at Fannie Mae. I never received much compensation benefits despite working late hours and weekends when i was an employee. Job Security or Advancement is literally dependent on your manager. Job Work/Life Balance i would rate as 5 as the upper management is very considerable trying to keep the team happy.
Great Company for Families
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
Great company to work -

for people early in their careers

for people further along in their career with low ambition or low expectations for career advancement.

for men or women who are planning to start a family or people with small children looking for a company with great benefits.

Decent compensation with great benefits.

Current outsourcing agreement with unnamed company leads to atrocious inefficiencies.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Advancement/Back-Stabbing/Corporate Politics
Excellent pay and benefits but hamstrung by FHFA conservatorship
Lean Way of Working (WoW) Transformation Coach (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 3, 2018
Very limited to no opportunity for advancement while the company's future is uncertain due to FHFA conservatorship which will not change until the economic and political environment changes
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Very limited to no opportunity for advancement
Great work with many benefits, but be careful of the cultural paradigm
Senior Consultant, Office of Diversity & Inclusion (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2018
The culture is extremely powerful. As long as you are doing the job that they want you to do, you are doing well. There is room for innovation and creativity as long as it does not disrupt the status quo. Otherwise, there is a severe price to pay for disruption. Unfortunately, because the pay is great and the position highly sought-after, there are rarely opportunities to do better somewhere else. That's why, many people work there for many years because there is nowhere else to go, unless you plan to pursue entrepreneurship.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
immovable culture
Happy employees= Better outcome of production
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2018
You basically have to get a job through a staffing agency, or have to know someone who knows someone, I've known people to have been on contract for 5 years and not becoming permanent to receive PTO or sick time. No benefits for 5 years is not beneficial at all. Provide more of a "Google" atmosphere instead of a plantation Fannie you have the money to do it. And get rid of the whole "corporate attire" you never deal with people in person it should just be a casual dress code....start there with incentives.
Invests in employees
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mae, WAAugust 6, 2018
Productive. Employee benefits are great Provides lots of training for employees. Organizational changes a lot via reorganization and restructuring hence job security may be an issue although this is typical in most corporate environments.

Employees are very smart and willing to help. Middle management may not be so great depending on the team you are assigned to
Great Company to work for
Non-Technical Project Manager III (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 26, 2018
The standard work week for Fannie Mae is 37.5 hours The benefits are excellent and the number of holidays and vacation is better than most employers. The organization is going through an over haul of the working environment. At this time the reviews of the change are mixed, however the intention is to streamline and ensure all divisions are working with the same guidelines.
Innovative, Productive, and Fun Place to Work
Default Firm Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 27, 2018
The building in Plano is only 1 year old, and it is state of the art. Open workspaces. Large kitchen areas with gourmet coffee available. Dining hall/cafeteria with a large variety of food items. Gym with lockers and showers is available free of charge for Fannie Mae employees only. Garage parking. The Loft has a coffee bar, ping pong table and shuffleboard table. Wifi is available throughout the building and outdoors. Great company to work for. The people are the best part and management provides a caring atmosphere encouraging work/life balance.
Pros
Free gym, Thursday Night Socials that highlight the various groups and departments within Fannie Mae.
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement.
Fannie Mae is important to the stability of our housing market
Governance, Risk & Control Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 12, 2018
Fannie Mae was a good company to work for, but sometimes people / groups get reorganized into other areas that may not necessarily be related to your career goals or your skills and experience.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
frequent layoffs
Fannie
Procurement Specialist I/Business Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 2, 2018
Great place to work with great culture,management, job security and benefits. Very balanced with work life and they are great at giving back to the community with their volunteer work.
Positive atmosphere, a leader in Cyber Security
Cyber Security Analyst IV (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 5, 2018
Fannie Mae has a positive atmosphere, great benefits, and good people. They are a leader in Cyber Security. With few exceptions, my manager was looking out for me and provided me the freedom to get my job done.
Pros
Benefits, compensation
Cons
Career advancement is not a strong point
Good place to work in the '90s
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mae, WANovember 24, 2018
I was there at a great and prosperous time. Not sure what it's like now.
My managers were all wonderful.
I advanced rather quickly to a senior level and compensation was commensurate.
People got recognized for their efforts.
I was on programming projects in multiple areas and got to learn a lot.
They were excellent about sending us to training to learn new programming languages.
Innovative place to work
Credit Standards Underwriter II (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 12, 2018
Loved the people I worked with as colleagues. Management was not the best. Typical day at work was fast paced and a stressful but manageable. Hardest part of job was adhering to constant change.
Pros
Wonderful PTO and Benefits
Cons
Stressful. Lack of communication with Management
NIce place to work
Accounts Payable Tech (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2018
Nice place to work, very busy

Rate this company

*required

Overall rating*

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fannie Mae. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight