Fantastic Sams Employee Reviews

I don’t know how most fantastic Sams work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNDecember 7, 2018
But the fantastic Sams I worked at had a owner who had no idea about the hair industry and was very verbally abusive and refuses to keep the salon stocked with product. I have to go to the store and by product for the day with money from the drawer.
Pros
Had room to move up to management
Cons
Hours were constantly being cut, got verbally abused by owner
What I learned
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 6, 2018
I recently worked at Fantastic Sams here in Nevada. I drove myself to gain more experience with color(dye) and haircuts from the many appointments, and walk ins I received. There was no room for raises. I was paid 8.25 an hour for attending a certified cosmetology program. There was POOR management. Extremely unprofessional manager, coworkers, and Human Resource Admin.
Pros
I fine tuned my haircutting/ hair coloring skills by repetition, and challenging myself.
Cons
Low pay, bad management and unprofessional toxic workplace
Great place to work when under the age of 16, great hours for people in school
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rogers, MNDecember 3, 2018
Good management and nice coworkers, great discounts, fun environment some days, flexible schedule, wonderful owner, not very clean or organized but is not too bad
Pros
lunch breaks, good hours, decent pay
Cons
can’t work more than your scheduled for
Master Stylist (Current Employee) –  KentuckyDecember 3, 2018
The company needs a general manager. There are to many people that are clueless to the Fantastic Sams, rules and regulation. I worked for the company a total of 6 months and it needs work.
Pros
full service salon
Cons
not much talent with the stylist.
Fast paced, very fun place to work. Amazing co-workers and awesome manager, great team to work with.
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 27, 2018
My work experience at fantastic Sam's was amazing I learned so much and I truly loved working with the team of girls at the Eagan cliff location. Excellent team work and education. I always leaned something new everyday I went to work at fantastic Sam's. Highly recommend getting your haircut/hair styled at fantastic Sam's and also working there.
Good jumping board company.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLNovember 24, 2018
Is a great company to get comfortable with doing hair behind the chair. Just beware of getting stuck there spinning your wheels. You have to work way harder to make money than in other company's due to the super low costs and the over circulated coupons. It's a great budget salon to start in though.
Pros
High volume of walkin clients to keep you busy.
Cons
You have to work VERY hard to barely make enough to live on.
Very mean and dont listen to you
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shawano, WINovember 19, 2018
I tried to talk to the owners they didnt listen as well as the manger and also had to contact the state on how they treat people. nothing could be dont because of no proof
flexible work place
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2018
Flexible hours, great for a parent or student. good money if willing to work hard and quickly. it's not for the type of stylist who wants to get into detailed high end color.
Nice customers, good tips, good products
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 7, 2018
Fun, friendly environment. The customers were nice and loyal no need for clientele substantial amount of walk ins. My location was big on color services but not a fan of the TIGI color line. Forget about breaks or lunch because they don't schedule them its kinda eat as you go type thing which sucks on the busy weekends.
Pros
flexable schedule, variety of services, hourly plus commission, good customer base
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, no benefits not a fan of thier color line
Not a place I would ever go back to.
Manager / Stylist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 6, 2018
I didn't understand the vision of the place, or where they were going. There hardly any customers and a total CLICK place. Being fired was for the best.
It's an ok company, nothing spectacular about it
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 6, 2018
Company is ok to work for, upper management is great, but the co-workers are hit and miss. I don't regret working there, would work there again. Maybe.
Pros
great management, semi flexible scheduling
Cons
hard to reach bonuses, extremely corporate environment
stylist colorist in fast pased environment
Hair Stylist / colorist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 31, 2018
Fantastic Sam's was a descent work environment with cleanliness
and a great product line. Having Fully stocked shelves allowing stylist to grow and maintain clientele. I would definitely recommend fantastic Sam's as a great work environment to get started in a career with a cosmetologist license.
Pros
good color line
Cons
outdated environment
Not worth it
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 30, 2018
If you are straight out of school, this CAN be a good place to go depending on management. For me, it started out great then turned into a nightmare.
Pros
free waxing and haircuts
Cons
healthcare was a joke, management was terrible in one location but fine in another, stressful
Excellent co
Manager/stylist (Former Employee) –  VISTA CA 92081October 29, 2018
I loved the color classes they taught me alot . Flexible hours and days of the week. I enjoyed the varity of differant services we offered. It was fun place.
Very high paced environment
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 19, 2018
Typical day at work consisted of efficiently completing hair and waxing services.
Learned more about time management due to the fact this salon was walk in based only, not able to make appointments.
The workplace culture could get stressful depending on the time of year and the amount of traffic is flowing through the salon.
Hardest part was managing time for my clients while also performing salon management tasks as well while being understaffed.
Most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to meet a diverse clientele.
Pros
Build clientele quickly
Cons
Short/no breaks, high stress setting
fun place to work for
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Whitesburg, GAOctober 17, 2018
Love my job just not enough of pay had to fine a job paying more money and closer to home .Love working there just not enough pay great team player's the owner is a wonderful person to work for .
Pros
great place
Cons
no enough of money
A place to grow your knowledge for being fresh out of school
Key Holder/ Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 12, 2018
The management and the business really tries and help you further your education/ knowledge in their products and technical training for the job. If you are fresh out of school, it's been a while or need a refreshers course this is a place for you. Some managers are great and some are okay. The coworkers and clients are what really make your job fun. They require you to sell a certain amount of product or at least some franchisees do.
Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MIOctober 11, 2018
Good company to work for as a starter job, I learned hands-on customer service skills and everything that comes with it. Handling the cash register and scheduling clients for appointments, typical receptionist duties.
Pros
Fun, creative atmosphere
Cons
stressful on busy days
It is a great work place
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, KYOctober 10, 2018
I love working there. It gives you great experience styling hair. I've learned a lot working there It's a friendly environment to work at. The people always have great personalities
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Health care
fun work enviroment
Hair Stylist, Key Holder (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 9, 2018
loved my so-workers its a fun upbeat place to work there is just limited advancement and no benefits. loved the clients and the staff,takes long time to build client base

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fantastic Sams. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Fantastic Sams.

Powered by Comparably