Fantastic Sams Employee Reviews

Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MIOctober 11, 2018
Good company to work for as a starter job, I learned hands-on customer service skills and everything that comes with it. Handling the cash register and scheduling clients for appointments, typical receptionist duties.
Pros
Fun, creative atmosphere
Cons
stressful on busy days
It is a great work place
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, KYOctober 10, 2018
I love working there. It gives you great experience styling hair. I've learned a lot working there It's a friendly environment to work at. The people always have great personalities
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Health care
fun work enviroment
Hair Stylist, Key Holder (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 9, 2018
loved my so-workers its a fun upbeat place to work there is just limited advancement and no benefits. loved the clients and the staff,takes long time to build client base
Love FS hair
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAOctober 9, 2018
I really love working at Fantasic sams it’s a wonderful place that offers education and commission but the amount of money I make even ask a manger is very little and I don’t live off of it
Pros
Overall amazing
Cons
Could be a great experience depending on the location
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  AtlantaOctober 5, 2018
Each salon is individually owned, no corporate stores. So while I truly believe some stores can be great, the Atlanta market sucks. They offer hourly pay + sliding scale commission but are never busy enough to hit those #'s. Hours not consistent so you can't build your clientele. Also you can schedule appointments but if a walk-in comes in before your appointment you are required to take the walk in. No benefits offered unless, once again, you are management. Credit card tips are put on paycheck and taxed so if no one leaves cash, you walk out with no tips until 2 weeks later. They offer free "continuing education" but the corporate educator they have is a joke. Reads from a book word for word, no hands on, schedules classes last minute and cancels them day of after you've already showed up. This place is the lowest level you can get as far as full service salon goes and very unprofessional.
Pros
Walk in clientele, good for sharpening skills
Cons
Poor management, slow store, no consistent hours, very low pay
I enjoy making people look and feel better
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 3, 2018
Open salon. Open til on computer register. Turn on equipment. Set up station. Wash and fold towels and capes. Consulting with clients on hair services. Performing hair services on clients. Taking payments and entering into computer. Cleaning salon.
Pros
5 paid holidays. Hourly pay if commissions are not met.
Cons
Manager is not fair to all employees, and is unprofessional and rude. Owner gets over 50% of all services.
productive work atmosphere
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2018
Great place to work. The management is great and very flexible with hours. The only reason I quit was because I had no benefits. The amount of money you make completely depends on how much effort you put into your work.
Pros
flexability
Cons
no benifits
Under compensated
LICENSED COSMETOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The pay here is really low and I wouldn't refer any of my friends to this company. Business is really slow and there is no emphasis put on customer service or employee enrichment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 26, 2018
The work environment is more of a family time rather than co-workers. We all look out for each other and as someone learns something new, we all will share it w/ each other.
Great Hair product line. Flexible schedule
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WISeptember 20, 2018
Poor manager... drama with co workers that only continued to increase because manager was part of it.
Pricing was all over the board when it came to services which caused more problems.
Pros
Nice kept salon
Cons
No benifits, sick pay, vacation, nothing

Want to know more about Fantastic Sams?

Ask a question
Owner's need to be screened more.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GASeptember 18, 2018
I just think the people who allow people to buy these places might need to be checked in on more to make sure they're not doing shady things. My owner was extremely shady & I was fired for not doing something illegal.
Pros
Long lunch break.
Cons
Healthcare never kicked in, pay was low, a lot of lies, horrendous management.
good start-out company to work for fresh out of school
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Delano, MNSeptember 18, 2018
I really enjoyed my manager at the time but how ever did not care for the favoritism and the immaturity that went on there. clientele was great though
Bottom step on the ladder to success
Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Working here has some benefits for instance if you are fresh out of Cosmo school and can't find a salon with an assistant position or you are new to the area and are trying to build a quick clientele. You will get faster working at a place like this because the slower you are the fewer clients you will service. All clientele is walk in based, appointments are for chemical services only. Being that majority of the clients are first come first serve the mentality is every stylist for themselves vs a team player mentality. If you care about the integrity of your clients hair, love being a "hairapist", and the artistry of creating beautiful hair this is not the place for you.
very busy
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNSeptember 5, 2018
great place to work , they offer a variety of services. If you are just starting out as a stylist its a great place to start. you learn new things off other stylist while keeping up your skills you learned in school.
Fun
Key Holder / Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 3, 2018
I loved working for the salons, but I felt as though they kept putting people who weren't best for the job as managements, they started getting desperate for employees and started hiring everyone who walked through the door and were not efficient at their jobs.
Job review
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 2, 2018
Overall a great place to work. I would recommend anyine to join the FS team. My only reason for moving on from FS. I furthered my education and needed a more stable income with benifits.
busy place
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Harwood Heights, ILSeptember 2, 2018
busy place, many walk ins, provides all types of hair services. continuing education. low salary. clean environment. family friendly. good color line.
It's SO Amazing.
Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 28, 2018
I absolute love working here. It's an excellent work environment where they help groom you and grow in the field that you love, while also maintaining a great home life.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
There are no cons
Work Day at Fantastic Sams
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 27, 2018
I answered phones, scheduled appointments. Made sure everything was stocked and cleaned the displays so they were neat. I cleaned the stylist stations once they were done with their haircuts.
Pros
lunch break
Not a good place to work
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 24, 2018
This fantastic sams owner does not tend to the salon i worked at and does not stock products. They have scheduled classes but are way too far. Manager does not know how to perform simple manager tasks. He will not come in when someone has called out to fill in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fantastic Sams. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

72out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Fantastic Sams.