Fantastic Sams Employee Reviews

stylist and management
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Orcutt, CAMarch 20, 2019
As a stylist you are paid minimum wage, with the promise of higher pay per hour on your performance. The goals set for the stylist are almost un achievable and cause people to fight for walk in clientele.
As a manager, you are run into the ground, expected to hop from salon to salon with no extra benefits and very little pay.
Great team. Supportive
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 14, 2019
I love working here. They are a very supportive team. Everyone helps each other out. Just an all around great environment. Monthly incentives and great commission availability. Money is to be made you just have to work for it.
Pros
Shoe allowance, classes.
Cons
Shift coverage if sick.
The Fantastic Sams that I worked at is been purchased by somebody else and is no longer a Fantastic Sams
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 12, 2019
The owner / manager was a very absentee manager. He did not have control of his own salon. He allowed other employees to treat employees poorly and in a negative manner. Certain employees didn't have to do the side work like all the other employees had to do that was a requirement in part of the job.
Pros
Cons
Paid minimum wage lack of management and just a negative hostile work environment
not a place i will ever work again
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYMarch 6, 2019
I like Fantastic Sams. I do. Quite a lot, actually. However, the one that I worked at was just the worst. The owner didn't know anything about the business and didn't listen to any of his workers who did. He kept the heat way down in the winter and we were all freezing. The area was also not the best. We got a lot of unpleasant clients. The owner failed to provide us with the products our clients were asking for. I really liked the company itself, the big picture was good. However, where I worked it was no good.
Pros
half off hair care products
Cons
just about everything
no comment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INMarch 6, 2019
enjoyed working there enjoyed meeting new clients the customer was very inviting love dmeeting all the challenges had a great experience with the company
I don't recommend for employment
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Ballwin, MOMarch 2, 2019
At the particular salon I work at has no maniger. My coworkers are not what I myself look for in Coworkers.
There is no way to advance in pay, and commission is almost impossible to reach. There are education classes but we don't ever get told when they are.
Pros
Making some money, getting to make people happy.
Cons
To much clickieness, and childish actions of otheres
Great Co Workers
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAFebruary 28, 2019
I absolutely LOVED working here! All the stylists were amazing and did great work! Manager was so nice and professional. Too bad owner of salon wasn't paying building fees and they evicted everyone from salon and shut it down. We were given one week left to work and clear out salon
Pros
Great work environment, always had regulars
pay was terrible
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  ILFebruary 24, 2019
they took a dollar out for every client you did in two weeks if you didn't hit their retail expectations. They had to stop because it's illegal but I'm sure they knew it was illegal the entire time. Money hungry savages.
Pros
honestly nothing
Cons
honestly everything
Fast paced salon
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 21, 2019
Great place to start your cosmetology career. Flexible hours guaranteed guests and education.
Great hourly pay with ability to make up $19.25 per hour.
Pros
Guaranteed guests
Cons
No set schedules
Good for someone out to get more experience
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAFebruary 20, 2019
It's a good place for someone who needs work experience in this industry , I had a lot of color experience when I started there but it was close to my home at the time
fun environment to work in
stylist (Former Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNFebruary 20, 2019
Fantastic Sam's was a great place to work for. The managers were awesome and the owner was a really great guy. It was a clean and friendly place to work.
Pros
fun, fast paced
Cons
short breaks, no PTO
Stress beyond stress
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sun City Center FloridaFebruary 14, 2019
Co Managers were the worst. No people skills and very rude and disrespectful towards employees. One of them was HEARTLESS. not made you feel welcomed no vacation paid. And try to take vacation was made impossible. But they took time whenever they wanted. Overall huge turnover with employees. No one lasts here. DONT WORK FOR SUNCITY FLORIDA. NOT WORTH IT.
Cons
No paid break or holidays or vacations. Under paid
Fun work place
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 12, 2019
I loved working at fantastic sams. Great people and good work environment very encouraging. Very mellow and wasn’t very competitive. I liked not knowing what I was walking Into.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No paid leaves
Fantastic Sams
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 11, 2019
This job was a very good job for me, especially because it was my first job and I got hired at 14 years old. It is a fairly easy job, overall, and has a friendly environment. Not many benefits for teens though.
Productive fun environment
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2019
Good environment, friendly customers, the prices are good and they really want what’s best for you as a client/worker.
The place is nice and clean.
The manager is very friendly.
Great place to work at
Hairdresser (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 11, 2019
They always had a walk in basis in the salon so I was always busy and enjoyed having little or no down time . I enjoyed pleasing the customers and giving them what they wanted.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Health care
Amazing coworkers and clientele
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 10, 2019
Fantastic Sams is and amazing company to work for some days are slower then others but busy days make up for it. The managers there are amazing and so understandable as are the other stylist. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to do the job that I’ve always dreamed of doing.
Pros
Felxable hours
Cons
No benefits or paid time off
Great place to work for. Local owners was a plus.
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOFebruary 7, 2019
Great place to work, local owners was a plus. Lead manager tried to accommodate everyone's home schedule and time off.Paid vacation was nice. Was let down by butting heads of the two managers.
Pros
Manager accommodate of outside work schedule
Walk-in Beauty Service
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Harwood Heights, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Hairstylist rotate walk-ins unless a guest w/ an appointment arrives. Working at Fantastic Sams taught me an in-depth understanding of how hair color works. Management was not readily available during a problem. Therefore, I learned to think on my toes swiftly and become resourceful. During times of little to no traffic the stylist made themselves useful by cleaning, floor moves and replenishing supplies and products on shelves. The hardest part of the job was letting a guest know they're desired outcome would take longer to execute then they'd anticipated. The most enjoyable was satisfying the guest requests and meeting their expectations. This was a great place to learn and build skill set, not to get rich from.
Busy salon, great place to work but lacks respect from other employees
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, UTJanuary 29, 2019
I loved working here! Busy salon and it is easy to hit commission but some of the other stylists are “high and mighty” and sometimes lack respect for other stylists.
Pros
Busy, commission but hourly protection, great owner who cares
Cons
Low staffed so long hours, pressure from managers, lack of respect from managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fantastic Sams. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Fantastic Sams.

Powered by Comparably