Fareway Stores, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 12, 2019
They have an amazing community and a major role in making everyone’s life a little easier from getting in an involved excited conversation to helping people with almost anything !
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Work times are different every week, Work in sever weather, Allow women to wear earrings, men are not allowed to wear earrings as long as they are not big or flashy, Men can’t wear earrings.
Good first job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 12, 2019
FareWay was a good place for a first job. I had lots of good co-workers however, it is not the kind of work that I would wish to do for a long term job.
good
unload trucks and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Decorah, IAFebruary 4, 2019
IT can have its ups and downs there lots of busy days that are stressful like inventory day or a two a day sale but it is a good job and I would go back if I could
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
busy
Fun workplace and great energy from other employees and customers
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Manchester, IAJanuary 31, 2019
I had a very fun time working there and I always had someone to answer my questions if I had any. The customers were always nice and were always happy when they left
Pros
Great management
productive work place where team-work is emphasized
Checker (Former Employee) –  Boone, IAJanuary 30, 2019
Part-timers receive few hours with no say in when they want to work, so it is very draining at times. I worked two jobs and my only hours for the week were given to me on days I had already worked 8-9 hours, making for a 12-16 hour day. Little variety of things to do so kinda boring when not busy.
Pros
communication seemed to be on point, nothing slipped through the cracks, everyone is super nice and friendly
Cons
Little room for advancement, benefits only given full-timers
Not getting enough hours
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Evansdale, IAJanuary 29, 2019
I'm trying to make a living and ask for more hours, but would never get hour they would only every cut my hours. I told them i need full time but the let two people younger than me who started after me go full time and just kept telling me that I need to stay part-time because I was the only person they could throw where ever.
Cons
no discounts
Highly dependent on local management, but bad money.
Cashier/Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAJanuary 28, 2019
A typical day at work would include standing at a register for several hours and checking out customers, while at night if you were one of the older employees you would be able to leave your checkstand to stock and face the store daily, newer employees would stay up front and be responsible for cleaning the checkstands, vacuuming, and cleaning bathrooms. Unfortunately your job will be very dependent on management because there will be a lot of picking up slack for others as there is no punishments incurred when others will not do their job and no one can leave to go home before everything is finished. Workplace culture was unfortunately very male-oriented and a lot of men were paid more than the women and women were only allowed to work checkstands and not bag while men were not allowed to cashier. Most enjoyable part of the job was facing the store as it was relatively easy and quiet and the hardest part of the job would be learning store layout as a newbie.
Pros
Improves teamwork skills, meet new people, good for 14-15 year olds
Cons
bad work environment, bad pay, bad hours
Very great first job
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newton, IAJanuary 19, 2019
Fareway teaches morals, teamwork, communication, and creates important relationships in a business. Fareway provides something for all of their workers.
Laid back workplace with great people.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charles City, IAJanuary 18, 2019
I really liked working at Fareway. It had a good work environment and it was easy work. It was also nice to be able to interact with different people everyday.
It’s a okay workplace to be working at. It’s super friendly
Dairy Stocker (Current Employee) –  Worthington, MNJanuary 12, 2019
It’s pretty friendly there, you’ll get help, and it’s not too busy all the time. I’ve learn a few skills and techniques in the stocking area which helps me be successful.
Pros
Slow easy days
not very good
Meat Clerk/Cutter (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAJanuary 9, 2019
management was not very good with there employees and would take out there frustraion on the employees didnt make it feel like a very good place to work half the time.
Pros
offered good customer service
Cons
didnt value there employees'
Stressful and Hard but Worth It
Part-time grocery associate (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 9, 2019
Worked there part-time for a little over a year. I was going through a dark time when I first joined and in a few months, I was better. I lost my motivation and purpose in life. Made me really think what I wanted to do and where my life was headed. It was a stressful and hard job. Once you step in the work place, there was always something to do. Hours were flexible and, if needed and available, could be added.
fun work envoirnment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAJanuary 9, 2019
Typical day was stress free
Learned money skills and interpersonal skills
management was kind and caring
Hardest part of the job was long hours
the most enjoyable part was my coworkers
it was an ok job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Independence, IAJanuary 9, 2019
Just like any other job at a grocery store. I'd say it's a good starter job but nothing to stay for. Not many benefits but the hours can be very flexible.
Fareway stores inc.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, IAJanuary 7, 2019
Fareway stores is a good company to work for. The job is not overly difficult, but can become challenging at times, depending on the support staff that is available.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Long hours and every weekend
productive
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Centerville, IAJanuary 5, 2019
a typical day was busy stocking and ordering, checking and facing the store and doing displays. I learned how to do office and count money back better. The management was great and understanding. The hardest part of the job was getting along with one worker who ran the produce. The best part was seeing people and helping them.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
lack of hours
Great first job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IADecember 30, 2018
Many tasks and projects to keep a person busy.
Made friends with many coworkers.
Stressed out at times.
Establishment is clean and easy to navigate.
Learned how handle cash securely.
fast paced and positive work environment
Meat associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 30, 2018
positive work environment. Regularly working with customers and collaborate with coworkers to meet customer needs. Great place to improve your communication skills and manage multiple tasks at once.
didnt enjoy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Faribault, MNDecember 30, 2018
i worked at fareway for 4 years and never really loved it. it was a great first job but they would get mad when you tell them that you dont want to stay at fareway for the rest of your life.
Working
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 25, 2018
Overall, Fareway is a really great place to work. I have worked there 8 years and have had really good experiences. The people are great to work with and I absolutely love getting to know the customers on a personal level, my favorite part of the job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fareway Stores, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight