Farm Bureau Financial Services Employee Reviews

Not the best place for your career
Owner of Insurance Agency (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 10, 2018
Captive agencies are not the best place to start your career. They give support up front but you are limited in the capacity of what you can offer and how you can offer it.
Easy going, informative
Lehi - Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTAugust 29, 2018
This job made me very well rounded. I answered phones, emails and sorted documents and files. It was enjoyable and I was never bored. It was difficult if machines broke, but overall very positive experience.
Business Manager for Weston K Long (Current Employee) –  Centerville, UTAugust 20, 2018
Great work environment. Flexible with hours and time off. Opportunity to advance in my job/career. Wonderful company. Loved coming to work and working with agents and clients.
New learning adventure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  KansasAugust 10, 2018
Working at Farm Bureau, I learned to work in a different position. The most enjoyable part for me was meeting new people and no set working hours. Able to work from home, I did not have to stop working at a specific time if my job was not complete.
Pros
Flexibility, work from home
Its Alright
Account Contact Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 1, 2018
The work is easy, but there is a favoritism for employees who have been there longer than a year. Not everyone actually does there job and you have to pick up slack from other employees
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Favortism
Account Contact Unit
Account Contact Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2018
Work was easy, hours were flexible but if you did above and beyond the minimum you weren't paid for your work. The clients of the agents did not always like dealing with people not physically located in their specific office.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 1, 2018
Was a great job with excellant benefits. Process daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports as well as plan 3 annual statewide meetings. My particular department didn't have many people however everyone was kind. The hardest part of the job was personality differences between my self and my direct supervisor. The most enjoyable was getting to know the agents and attending small meetings.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, benefits, atmosphere
Cons
being alone in the office for several weeks a year
Everyman for himself
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parsons, KS 67357June 19, 2018
Company only wants sales. Sales associates are paid next to nothing and only employed by insurance agent not the company, thus experience with company can very greatly.
Ok if in one office
Office Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McPherson, KSMay 29, 2018
The office I was in had really nice people to work with. My manager was very easy going. I did not care for Farm Bureau Financial Services though. I chose the wrong insurance company to work for.
Manipulating manager
Express claims Rep (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 23, 2018
Do not work in the express claims department, favoritism and game playing. Manager does not know how to manage. She is a micro manager, i say stay out do not waste your time. So So disappointed I cannot believe Farm Bureau allows such a low manger to run their department. Manager was vicious and calculating. She only is about her own little empire, No one there cares though.
The company is helpful with writing new business
Agent, Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 22, 2018
The company has large support staff for agents when writing new business, however, management does not understand the contract or compensation for new agents. It's hard to get the same answer from 2 different people when it comes to pay.
Get out
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 14, 2018
The claims service rep ECT job is awful. The manager shows extreme favoritism and manipulation of power. Day one I could tell the manager in charge of the department was extremely rude and unprofessional. Very high turnover rate, extremely low chance of advancement. Hours are awful for insurance company including weekends and most holidays. Company uses poor claims practices and over works adjusters. No focus on quality, only quantity.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Ok
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 13, 2018
The benefits were great, as well as the pay. The management was terrible. I am thankful to Farm Bureau as a starting place and entry position in claims, however, it is definitely a place to launch a career, not to sustain one.
Enjoyed working for Farm Bureau
Agent & Financial Representative December (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
If you enjoy entrepreneurship then this is a really good place to work. I liked running my own agency as the agent but it was difficult to keep up with the production expectations in order to maintain a paycheck.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Production Expectations
Great Company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 4, 2018
Being in insurance, it is what you want it to be. If you don't have the clientele to get you to the requirements, you won't make any money. Being paid on straight commission doesn't work when you have expenses that exceed that.
Easy going office to work at.
Insurance Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZMarch 8, 2018
Typical day at the office was pretty laid back and enjoyable, learned how to enter data into the FB system and what types of coverage was available to public, management was a husband and wife team they were the best, good to me and my husband (we both worked for FB) during my employment. Hated to leave the company but I had to take care of my husband (may he rest in peace) whom was diagnosed with Stage 3 brain cancer. Anaplastic Astrocytoma,
Pros
close to home
Cons
no benefits working PT
Terrible culture
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 28, 2018
As a developer, this place is old school. If you want to keep your skills up, don't go here. This is the place you go to end your career. There is no advancement unless you're white and know people. No diversity what so ever. It's almost a whites only country club mentality. They tried to roll out some changes a few years ago with doing agile but that got canned real quick. So if you've been doing TDD and other XP practices, you won't find that here
Pros
Cons
lots. see above
Horrible gender pay gap and treatment issues
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 17, 2018
The sexism that goes on in the Manhattan office is absolutely appalling. Men with no qualifications and experience are constantly promoted over women and even hired on at higher levels that more qualified females. Management is a complete joke.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to name
Flexible
Sales Producer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 12, 2018
I am a sales producer so it is my job to go out and network to bring in new clients each month. I also service current clients, helping them with payments, or any questions they may have about their policy.
Pros
Flexible schedule and laid back work environment
Cons
Pay is sales based
Good at insurance. Bad at investments.
Field Compliance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 7, 2018
The company is good at what it does as primary business (insurance), but had gone into mutual funds and they lacked business acumen in that area. I am sure they have improved greatly and corrected those areas since I was there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Bureau Financial Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight