Farm Bureau Financial Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Get out
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 14, 2018
The claims service rep ECT job is awful. The manager shows extreme favoritism and manipulation of power. Day one I could tell the manager in charge of the department was extremely rude and unprofessional. Very high turnover rate, extremely low chance of advancement. Hours are awful for insurance company including weekends and most holidays. Company uses poor claims practices and over works adjusters. No focus on quality, only quantity.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Enjoyed working for Farm Bureau
Agent & Financial Representative December (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
If you enjoy entrepreneurship then this is a really good place to work. I liked running my own agency as the agent but it was difficult to keep up with the production expectations in order to maintain a paycheck.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Production Expectations
Great Company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 4, 2018
Being in insurance, it is what you want it to be. If you don't have the clientele to get you to the requirements, you won't make any money. Being paid on straight commission doesn't work when you have expenses that exceed that.
Easy going office to work at.
Insurance Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZMarch 8, 2018
Typical day at the office was pretty laid back and enjoyable, learned how to enter data into the FB system and what types of coverage was available to public, management was a husband and wife team they were the best, good to me and my husband (we both worked for FB) during my employment. Hated to leave the company but I had to take care of my husband (may he rest in peace) whom was diagnosed with Stage 3 brain cancer. Anaplastic Astrocytoma,
Pros
close to home
Cons
no benefits working PT
Terrible culture
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 28, 2018
As a developer, this place is old school. If you want to keep your skills up, don't go here. This is the place you go to end your career. There is no advancement unless you're white and know people. No diversity what so ever. It's almost a whites only country club mentality. They tried to roll out some changes a few years ago with doing agile but that got canned real quick. So if you've been doing TDD and other XP practices, you won't find that here
Pros
Cons
lots. see above
Horrible gender pay gap and treatment issues
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 17, 2018
The sexism that goes on in the Manhattan office is absolutely appalling. Men with no qualifications and experience are constantly promoted over women and even hired on at higher levels that more qualified females. Management is a complete joke.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to name
Flexible
Sales Producer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 12, 2018
I am a sales producer so it is my job to go out and network to bring in new clients each month. I also service current clients, helping them with payments, or any questions they may have about their policy.
Pros
Flexible schedule and laid back work environment
Cons
Pay is sales based
Good at insurance. Bad at investments.
Field Compliance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 7, 2018
The company is good at what it does as primary business (insurance), but had gone into mutual funds and they lacked business acumen in that area. I am sure they have improved greatly and corrected those areas since I was there.
Small office setting
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 30, 2018
Customer service was the main goal in a standard work day. Issues that would arise would be resolved though our office and if not escalated to the main office.
Cut throat industry
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEJanuary 10, 2018
Not about people like you would think.....it is about sales. I would not recommend this unless you have a great boss and environment. decent pay since it can vary by agent.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor pay and a boss who does not care about me
Shareholders over policy holders
Agent (Former Employee) –  South DakotaJanuary 8, 2018
I was an agent at Farm Bureau for over 10 years. It was a great place to work. They valued the agents in rural areas and the clients we insured.
Today with the the leadership in charge, there is no transparency, no leadership and high turnover in all positions. They change the agents compensation package every year, continuing to raise the production requirements, leaving you with less and less. On top of that, the rates have been raised so often that they are about 40% higher than the competition. Claims, don’t get me started!
If you have insurance with this company, time to start shopping.
Pros
Cons
List too long
Good hours
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 8, 2018
Unorganized, lack of commitment, technology is too old, underwriters will make it hard to keep new business on the books. I would not recommend, they are not a competitive at all with their rates. Every time you write new business you have to ask for a membership fee per adult, even if they do not need the insurance. And the fee is not worth the business when there are multiple adults in the household. They are good with business policies though.
Management Needs Contained/Retrained
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 1, 2018
The co-workers at this place of employment were pretty good. There were definitely some issues with being able to resolve conflict, as the manager does not believe in correcting issues, but rather trying to redirect attention elsewhere.

Manager has inappropriate demeanor towards the employees and does not care to keep employment records confidential.
Pros
Great place to learn the insurance trade
Cons
Management, Uncorrected Employee Conflict
Was a good place to work, however I needed more direction
Insurance Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spirit Lake, IADecember 19, 2017
My typical day at work would consist of making cold calls and trying to find clients. I learned how to market myself and how to help clients in the best way. My manager was very relaxed and laid back. That is okay with me but he did not give me any type of direction so I have been on my own trying to get clients. The culture of Farm Bureau is very light and fun to be in. The hardest part of the job is working so hard to get a client and help them but my premiums are never low enough to be able to get clientele. The most enjoyable part would be the exact flip side of the hardest part. The most enjoyable part is when I get the premium low enough so the client can stop paying as much as get business with Farm Bureau.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Don't make enough money
Productive, and there was lot of help when I needed it.
Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2017
Everyone was very welcoming, when I got there, I knew nothing bout insurance. But with the help of my boss and coworkers, I learned everything I needed to learn.
Pros
knowing about insurance benefits.
Cons
Very competitive.
Don't waste your time
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZ 85296December 8, 2017
All that was promised was not delivered.
All the training and support evaporated. The person who was supposed to train us didn't care, she wanted to train more people, not actually get people to the successful point.
The support staff was out sick most of the time, or just wanted to tell me how hard I made it for them. If they would have showed up for work more than 2 days a week, maybe they would not have been so behind in the workload.
Pros
laid back attitude
Cons
tooooo laid back
Very productive office
Office Manager / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, IADecember 4, 2017
We are customer driven and do what is right for the client. I would recommend Farm Bureau to anyone willing to work to get where you want to be in a career.
Vp of recruiting
Vice President of Recruiting (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2017
My time at farm bureau was amazing. I loved my supervisors and they gave me creative license to do what I thought was best and they would give the ability to also fail. The support was amazing
Pros
very structured
Cons
Small town location with too much competition
Office Manager and Licensed Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guthrie Center, IADecember 1, 2017
I raised my children in the small town and decided to move into the city after they graduated high school. Since there wasn't any options to transfer to the corporate office I resigned.
Pros
Family friendly
Cons
Small town
Great entry level
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 22, 2017
Farm Bureau treats their employees well with great benefits and vacation time. There are plenty of other positions open in the same building. It is a great company to start out with entry level and work your way to the top
benefits
Cons
can get boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Bureau Financial Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight