Farm Bureau Financial Services Employee Reviews

Loved the local office, less than impressed with corporate management
SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJune 23, 2019
It was a great, encouraging, relaxed local office environment. Corporate management had a great deal of turn over and business philosophy changes. This made it difficult for the agents/staff to stay positive and motivated.
Good company to work for.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 14, 2019
A typical day would consist of following up on leads and previous contacts. Working the reports for SR22 insurance needs. I worked from an office in Sioux Falls and felt that I was very productive. I studied insurance options and investment opportunities to be sharp and confident while working with customers.

The hardest part of the job was trying to balance between my husband's wishes for me to assist with his "dream" and trying to keep the quality that I held myself to for Farm Bureau. I really liked my position, but was being stretched to much from trying to excel at both positions.

The team that I worked with was positive and competitive.
Our office manager (clerical) was fantastic. She had a very warm, welcoming smile that always started the day out great. Having that positive entrance made a huge impact on my ability to sell.
Agent Position
Certified Financial Planner / Agent (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJune 7, 2019
An over abundance of work and goals. The timelines where short and management was unfair and biased towards top producers. The exceptions were vague
Company was a good place, but not IT
Computer Programmer II (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 14, 2019
Company was a good place, but not IT. Company had good benefits, but IT was to driven on the bottom line. The employees were not that important to FB any more.
Terrible place to work. 🙄
Account contact associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 25, 2019
They claim to want to hire you on after. 6 month term but if you make too many mistakes then you're out. Doesn't matter how good you are. Can't make more than 30 points. Which is like 5 mistakes a month. I didn't get enough training. You got dirty looks if you asked a question.
Cons
High turnover rate.
Not Competitive
MULTI-LINE INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 16, 2019
Agent Contract too difficult to achieve, rates in Arizona are not good, underwriting process is lengthy, too much paperwork, software used to rate customers belongs with the dinosaurs. what takes 5 minutes for other insurance agents to do takes 40 minutes with their system. There are too many roadblocks that stop you from selling. too much service work! When you start getting clients you have to service their accounts 24/7 and it doesn't allow you to sell insurance so you have to let everything go. When you spend more than half the day helping your current customers it leaves very little time to prospect. IMO this contract is made to make you fail so they can keep the customers you bring in and pay you very little so you leave and they benefit.
Pros
Cons
too many to list. Id choose a different insurance company
Stay away
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMarch 19, 2019
The pay and benefits are great , but it's not enough to deal with this place . Between the department manager having an affair with the women and everyone bringing their kids to work , it was a very unprofessional place to work. The state should really look into the kids being there as some had their kids doing work. Supervisors would openly talk bad about employees but then complain that no one wanted to work. Horrible place to work , not worth the pay or benefits. Advancements were given to those having affairs or depending on who you knew, mostly given to people who couldn't do the job they were given.
Pros
Quick walk to your car to leave
Cons
Unprofessional, horrible supervisors, no advancements
not a great place for to work for the position I held
Agent (Former Employee) –  MINNESOTAFebruary 24, 2019
I did not have a typical day and I would not recommend this as a career choice. Management is not concerned with the feelings of their clients.
If you cannot do what is best for the client at their request, with their funds, this is not a good place to work!
Pros
Cons
plenty
No idea how to sell insurance
Insurance Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 29, 2019
The company has no idea how to sell insurance or market their products. Average agent sells 6-8 policies per month. They do not invest in the agent model or have any plans to spend anything on marketing, good luck.
Bad management
Field Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 28, 2019
Management was poor. Too many demands, work 60 hours a week and take calls on the weekends, study for additional testing with no time allotted to do it. Work 24-7.
Commercial Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 10, 2019
Great opportunity to work even if you don't have any insurance background. Management is great and family is always first. If you want to advance there is opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Flexible and family is first
Official response from Farm Bureau Financial Services
January 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’re glad your experience with us was positive.

Fun with opportunity to advance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 4, 2019
Even as an intern, I knew I had the opportunity to better myself without being inhibited by management or fellow employees. Good culture and fun environment.
Lack of training
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  UtahDecember 3, 2018
Training system needs extreme improvement, lack of management help, lack of resources for helping new hires, created an image that staff was untrained and uneducated in position.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Uncomfortable work environment, minimal training, unprofessional
My First Agency Job
Office Manager/ Licensed Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gilman, MNSeptember 12, 2018
My first Agency job. I was greatful for the chance to get my license which was a long term goal. Good work and life balance. Pay was ok and PTO decent.

But one I was going to half a 2nd child, due to health reason I would have had to go to part time only. I was asked to leave.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Management Sneaky
Not the best place for your career
Owner of Insurance Agency (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 10, 2018
Captive agencies are not the best place to start your career. They give support up front but you are limited in the capacity of what you can offer and how you can offer it.
Easy going, informative
Lehi - Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTAugust 29, 2018
This job made me very well rounded. I answered phones, emails and sorted documents and files. It was enjoyable and I was never bored. It was difficult if machines broke, but overall very positive experience.
Business Manager for Weston K Long (Current Employee) –  Centerville, UTAugust 20, 2018
Great work environment. Flexible with hours and time off. Opportunity to advance in my job/career. Wonderful company. Loved coming to work and working with agents and clients.
New learning adventure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  KansasAugust 10, 2018
Working at Farm Bureau, I learned to work in a different position. The most enjoyable part for me was meeting new people and no set working hours. Able to work from home, I did not have to stop working at a specific time if my job was not complete.
Pros
Flexibility, work from home
Its Alright
Account Contact Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 1, 2018
The work is easy, but there is a favoritism for employees who have been there longer than a year. Not everyone actually does there job and you have to pick up slack from other employees
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Favortism
Account Contact Unit
Account Contact Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2018
Work was easy, hours were flexible but if you did above and beyond the minimum you weren't paid for your work. The clients of the agents did not always like dealing with people not physically located in their specific office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Bureau Financial Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight