Farm Credit Mid-America Employee Reviews

Looks great from the outside, but it's illusory
Employee (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 23, 2018
Great benefits and salary
Core values sounds great
Lots of great training offered
The processes, values, and culture are all illusory
Some of the leadership is pretty weak
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Salary
Cons
Processes, Values and Culture are Illusory
Best employer I've had in 34 years of my career
Country Home Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, INJune 17, 2018
This is an awesome company to work for. They truly care about their employees. Family comes first and they are just amazing! I have grown professionally and personally with the help of my peers and management.
Country Home Loan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 16, 2018
Great place to work, Grear salary, outstanding benefits. Future of the company sound. High level training that will benefit you whether you stay with the company or search elsewhere
N/a
specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 31, 2017
So many people here enjoy the mission of what we do. Having a legit purpose is so great. It's important to approve of what your company does and be able to walk away feeling like it's helping society.
Great Benefits-Good Work/Life Balance
Risk Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Central, INDecember 28, 2017
Great base salary, variable compensation bonus, insurance for $0, 401k matching, company car and much more.

The Ag industry/companies in the ag industry very much value family and thus they are willing to work with you on special needs.
Great Company
Appraisal Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dandridge, TNDecember 27, 2017
FCMA has one of the best workplace cultures anywhere. The are constantly training staff. They offer nice incentives to continue growth both personal and professional.
Not a stable environment
Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 28, 2017
Too much uncertainty; would not recommend to a friend; is not committed to employees and does not operate like a $20+ billion company should. Decision seem to be made on a whim rather than well thought out. is not committed to the future of agriculture and rural residents which is supposed to be a part of their mission.
Pros
pays well
Cons
lack of leadership and direction
Can be great, depending on your leadership
Crop Insurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsburg, INJuly 28, 2017
I loved my coworkers and my customers, but the leadership left plenty to be desired. The only problems that occurred in my career here were due to leadership's lack of leading and coaching ability.
Foundation of culture is peers leading each other
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Field OfficeMay 16, 2017
Workplace culture strongly emphasizes coaching. Peers are expected to coach one another rather than looking to management for leadership and conflict resolution.
Excellent benefits, on job trainings, challenging work.
Country Home Loan Specialist, CRS (Former Employee) –  Tazewell, TNMarch 14, 2017
A typical day would be attending to walk in customers. Receipting payments, answering questions regarding their loans and making any changes necessary.
I learned a lot about processing loans.
Management was always helpful and knowledgable.
Coaching culture.
Hardest part was stress to complete loans in timely manner and dealing with different personalities outside of the workplace.
I must also say the most enjoyable was always having something to do, and it was different every day. Stressful but exciting.
The Best Place to Work You've Never Heard Of
Business Technology (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 24, 2017
Farm Credit Mid-America is an excellent place to start or continue a career. The Louisville office is consistently rated one of the best places to work in Kentucky within its division (large businesses), and this reflects the quality of the culture, work, and people in this place.

Anyone looking through these reviews will see that changes have been taking place over the past few years, and they have been difficult for almost everyone, but particularly those in sales roles. Those roles are really what make Farm Credit what it is, and for that reason, it's understandable that people are resistant and upset by change. On the other hand, the vast majority of staff have remained and while changes continue, they press on and discover that things are easier/simpler now then they were before.

Working in Louisville is decidedly different, but it is our job to support the sales staff, and so these changes impact us as well. Farm Credit is the sort of place where your purpose matters. The tasks and projects you work on day-to-day have lasting impact on not only the association but the rural community.

The things that make a job satisfying have little to do with your pay, benefits, or what you can wear to work. Instead, you look for purpose, the ability to think for yourself in accomplishing the mission, and getting rewarded for thinking outside of the box. I have personally experienced all that here.

I've heard Farm Credit Mid-America called a 'unicorn' company, and I think that's a fair statement. Look at the things that make all the best companies you've heard of
  more... "different" or "great", and you'll find those things here too.  less
Pros
Familial Culture, Important Purpose, Incredible Benefits
Cons
Room for improvement on communication of changes
culture
Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 21, 2017
The best part about working at Farm Credit is the culture. Nearly everyone is very passionate about agriculture and almost everyone comes from an Ag background. Everyone takes pride in their work as they are passionate about the mission they are serving. Farm Credit also pushes you to better yourself personally. Farm Credit is also very demanding of high performance which I value as I want to work somewhere that is driven to succeed. If you have a passion for agriculture and want to be apart of a team that has a family atmosphere I highly recommend joining the FCMA team.
Pros
Benefits & 401k
Fun and Productive mortgage company
Loan Closer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 2, 2017
I loved my loan closing position with Farm Credit Mid-America for almost ten years. Due to restructure" my position was eliminated and a severance package was given to me. We were one of Kentucky's top ten companies. We had excellent benefits and received a bonus each year based on department and company goals. All employee's are rewarded nicely to show the companies appreciation for their hard work. A great place to work!
Pros
Free Lunches, game days, department outing events
Cons
401k, great vacation package, sick days. Insurance benefits
Great company several years ago
AS (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 23, 2017
When I began working at FCMA several years ago I thought I wanted to stay forever. However with the new leadership, the company has morphed into a machine that no longer resembles the close knit co-op that was there to serve rural residents and farmers. The attitude is no longer customers first, it is profit and numbers. Everything is tracked from the profit you make off struggling Joe Farmer to your lunch breaks. It's a frustrating thing to experience. The CEO and management have lost track of the actual reason FCMA was chartered and instead seem to be readying this co-op to go public. The organization also switches direction with the blink of an eye. Three years ago FCMA was building new offices to serve customers but just as quickly decided to shut down several the past year. Sad to see. People are no longer people and are just numbers. The sense of community is gone. Training is fluff, with many trips to corporate but nothing is actually taught that you need to know for day to day operations. Manuals are vague and job aids as well. Audit is subjective. Many leaders make decisions with no idea how it affects the employees doing the actual jobs. Too many chiefs.
Pros
Gift cards, tuition reimbursement, 401k match
Cons
Low job stability, training is sub par, leaders out of touch
Enjoyed my Job at Farm Credit
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, TNJanuary 19, 2017
My job was a lot of fun. I made lots of life long friends at Farm Credit. My job at Farm Credit was to loan local farmer a loan to maintain their farms. My job was very challenge and very rewarding.
Closed
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, OHJanuary 10, 2017
Finton Equipment is now closed for business. I moved to my new position because the pay was so much better and the benefits were better. The work atmosphere is so much better also.
Friendly company with strong sense of purpose
Database Analyst (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 16, 2016
Overall, a good place to work. People are friendly and want you to succeed. Conservative culture, strongly working to modernize and automate processes.
Good place to work with lots of flexibility
Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 16, 2016
The environment at Farm Credit Mid-America is very flexible and fun. They believe in personal development and are committed to helping you attain your career goals. They strongly believe in work/life balance--I've even had several members of leadership mention to me that they do not expect responses to emails after business hours and will make sure that I don't feel that I have to respond to emails outside of business hours.

The best part of the job is the flexibility and the trust that leadership places in each employee. You "own" your work and are allowed to manage your day. You get great support from your leaders, too.

There are some members of leadership that are probably a bit more "progressive" in their thinking (i.e. allowing flexibility and personal time management) than others, but overall, I think the leadership is great.

Compared to other financial institutions I've worked for, this place is AMAZING! I no longer dread going to work!
Pros
flexibility, development opportunities
Cons
the association is going through a period of transition right now, so there is a definite "old vs. new" attitude
A great company that values its customers and employees
Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 3, 2016
I am proud to say I work for Farm Credit Mid-America. Working for FCMA knowing that our purpose is to secure the future of Rural America brings meaning to what I do. Values of honesty, respect, and commitment run throughout the organization giving me confidence that Farm Credit will always strive to do the right thing for the customer. As an employee I am grateful for an environment that communicates well, rewards hard work, and celebrates success.
Pros
Mission is communicated clearly, working environment, benefits
Unique company that will give you every career opportunity
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 28, 2016
I can only speak on my specific experience at FCMA, but with this being my first salaried position out of college, I have to say that this is honestly a dream job. One of the first things I was told when coming here was that each day I should gauge how I feel about coming into work and if it is ever a dreadful feeling, then that's a sign that there's something better out there for me. No other employer I can think of will be that transparent right off the bat. I have experienced that they will give you any and every opportunity, personally and professionally, as long as you ask for it. They don't believe in being micromanagers and leave your career growth up to you, but if you want to grow and move up then there are ample resources. The compensation is fantastic and there are a lot of things not included in your salary that add up as well. Constant free lunches and gift card giveaways to make work a fun environment. The leaders on my team give us as much freedom as we can handle and that is an undervalued thing. All of my other friends complain about being overworked and underrespected because they're new, but right away I was given a voice and have already been able to express it and implement several personal ideas into the company. I'll probably never work for another employer because FCMA has every opportunity I wrote down on my list of requirements for my ideal employer.
Pros
Culture, Opportunity, Compensation, bonus program, a lot of free food and constant prize giveaways.
Cons
Large company that can be easy to get lost in if not careful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Credit Mid-America. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Farm Credit Mid-America Reviews by Location