Farmfoods Ltd logo

Farmfoods Ltd Employee Reviews

2.6
Work-Life Balance

Random shifts

Chances are you'll get inconsistent shifts making it hard to plan anything. Even if the rota is done weeks in advance you might be working with someone who asks the manager to change their shift and have you work their shift instead so that they may get what they want.

Pros

Pros come with time served. The longer you're there the more management will favour you.

Cons

Continued from pros: rag on the staff who've been there for less time.

Simple enough job with decent pay but absolutely no job security

Business got slow & rather than decrease hours worked, they decreased workforce. No remorse I was actually hired & fired twice due to their ineptitude

Pros

Good hours, friendly associates, relaxed environment

Cons

Ignorant management, zero benefits, no pto, no sick pay, no job security whatsoever.

Wasn't ready for what they was trying to do

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Farmfoods Ltd is very goodJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at Farmfoods Ltd, I think they could if don't better hired a bunch of people and said they was secure when they weren't

Poor management guidence

Only a few members of management have a clue about what is required. They will pick on faults that everyone shows on a daily basis but pick and choose who to blame

Pros

Non

Cons

long hours pressure when not needed

nice place to work

nice people an very helpful I learned how to use a flat top there one of the other cooks taught me a lot of things that I can use in the near future an I have took my experience with me

Pros

discount

Cons

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Nice place for working

It helped me become more confident, to develop my skills, to communicate with nice people and to be a part of a great team. The manager was always understanding, the colleagues were friendly.

Fun workplace, but very unorganised management from outside store

Show willingness to work at very short notice. It is very common for people to leave, so an ableness to fill and cover shifts with an hour's notice will help you

Pros

30 minutes for lunch

Cons

Poorly staffed store, expected to run entire store with 2 people past 2pm, and in mornings, work a 10 pallet delivery with 2 people before 12pm

Review

As an Hgv driver you have an added responsibility to unload at store reload with rubbish litterpick and shrink wrap ectr. If like me you are a tall chap can be a bit irksome at times. I found the management to be a tad patronising at times but I took this in my stride and learned from it. Certain people will go out there way to find faults in your work and not with other people but I have never had this problem elsewhere. Teammates good the majority just want to get on with the job a few don't like it same as everywhere Going out for a second run as you are usually knackered after unloading at the first store. Driving and seeing new places most people at the stores are hospitable and never had a problem with he actual job. Overall decent company work for if you are a driver with a subservient side.

Pros

Decent company to work for

Cons

Physically demanding

Assistant Manager

would not recommend to anyone. Hard work, long hours, no breaks for management, no praise from anyone. ALWAYS understaffed

Pros

non

Cons

everything

avoid like the plague

I've worked at all levels of retail since I left school, from the lowest till monkey, up to store management, and I've worked for multiple companies. Farmfoods is by far the worst. They don't care about the staff, only money. The stores have no security because 'the customers don't want it' says the official literature. Shoplifters complain when they get caught and get money off vouchers while management get a warning for for saying anything to them. Thats right, the company hold shoplifters in a higher regard than their staff. For the amount of work we do, from 7am til 8pm the money sucks. Other companies would pay twice as much for the work we do. The distribution side of the company is a joke as well. If your delivery is late and you phone they tell you it's probably held up at a previous drop and hang up. I've put 3 stars for management as the manager and myself put our hearts and souls into our shop, but everyone above us set impossible tasks for us.

Pros

15% discount, free food at head office

Cons

pay, security, shoplifters held in higher regard than staff

If there's a problem you sort it!

Attitude is from above if you are short of staff you cover it.If you have members of staff on holiday so,life goes on.Everything must stay the same even though the hours come out of your budget and you can't replace them.When you are day off turn your phone off..Long hours and holiday cancellations are common place.Its like they are saying "you are lucky to work for us"

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours, no breaks, no thanks, no respect from above

The WORST Workplace ever.

Management are clueless with little or no previous Management experience.. Awful conditions with little knowledge or complete disregard for employee rights... Everyone deserves to be treated better than this... It seems the higher up the management ladder you are the worse you behave so dont expect any help from upper management. I would only suggest taking a job here as a last resort and only for a short period of time before they suck away all your feelings and happiness. Oh and dont moan about the conditions because they will just replace you with another poor sod who will be treated in exactly the same way. Please consider this review before you take up an offer of employment with this company.... I have found employment elsewhere and am now being treated like a human being and my working conditions are as they should be. Thanks for the opportunity Farmfoods but NO THANKS!!!!!!!

Pros

Cons

Everything about this awful company

Avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't deserve one star!

Please listen to these reviews. I didn't listen to these reviews and I found myself working for this awful company. These are just some of the issues: + Area manager a massive bully and horrible person. No social skills, probily no friends + Staff always on sick + Treat you like a piece of meat + Job security threatened continously + Divisional manager on companies side and obvs best pals with area manager + exceed 50hrs plus per week + stock take every other week + No ordering info and sales information which makes ordering a constant guess + cashing up system outdated + No counter cashier boxes. A pick up required every time a till reaches £300. + Only £50 floats + constant silly emails from area manger plus his negativity. + Waste needs typing into laptop as so does stock take counts lol. you can imagine how long that would take. This is a joke of a company. Please listen and avoid this company. Im the one that didnt and now find myself looking for a new job.

Pros

Ummmm None and never will be

Cons

Everything!!

Overworked, underpaid and very much underappreciated!!

I have worked for this company for the past 7 months and it has been a complete and utter nightmare!! I'm contracted 39 hours but anyone who works for them knows that you rarely work that, it's always more more more for very little thanks or pay! I only took the job as a stopgap to keep me working until I found something more my experience level, I wish I had stayed on the dole and got the poor money from them instead of slogging my backside off for 40 odd hours a week!! The area managers and both store managers I've worked under have been less than pathetic and I could do their jobs in my sleep!! Staff morale is at an all time low, staff turnover at an all time high!! One person doing the job of three or more and told to work faster!! Impossible standards!! I tell every young person that comes in to work there to get out and find another job!! "How has Farmfoods changed your life?"

Pros

Good banter

Cons

Breaks, wages, hours, management, working conditions

You are worth more than they way they will treat you.

I have been reading these reviews on this website for quite along time, whilst still in employment with Farmfoods and since. During my time with this organisation I saw people being treated in such a inhuman, unfair and immoral way. Staff was constantly down trodden and spoken down to. Shift changes by text and through Facebook, 12 hour plus shifts with no break or chance of break. Staff that were liked got fantastic shifts, staff that were disliked got miserable horrible shifts. Finishing at half ten at night and starting again at half 5. Company had 17 and 18 year olds doing all the hours under the sun, from half 5 in the morning till half 10. Breaking all kinds of employment laws. No Health and Safety training. The general consensus from higher management was that if you didn't like it then leave. If they didn't like take a particular liking to you one day they would find a reason for you to leave, weather it be s*xual harassment, money magically going missing or a host of other alternatives. Despite the fact that it was a food retailer and that should come with job security I felt that my job was on the line daily. And if you are still working for them, quit. I walked in one day and thought I have had enough. Now i'm earning three times what I made as a supervisor, being treated fairly, with breaks, notice with shift changes, and it has made me feel so much happier. You may be reading this looking at your bank account and thinking I need a job, any job. But you don't. You don't need the depression this job will cause you. You don't need to be treated like -

Pros

15% Discount. Woop.

Cons

No Life, No Breaks, Constantly downtrodden, Constantly demoralised by higher managment, Shift changes by text and through facebook, Finishing at half ten at night and starting again at half 5.

The worst company i have ever experinced!

After spending a year of my life working for Farmfoods slaving away working in excess of 14 hour days 7 days a week. I was appualed by the standards of Divisonal managers and by the current managing director who seem to stuggle with people skills and motivation people to achieve results. When i started i was lead to belive the company was going in a people direction how ever after a few months i found this not to be the case and that there is an element of if your face dosent fit then you will be out the door for any reason they can find. During one meeting i realised that i was the fouth area manager in lenght of service having only been with the business 6 months. To summrise i would avoid this company, I lost a year of my life for northing whilst been treated like rubbish.

Pros

Company car & Phone

Cons

Expectaion that you work everyday, Every hour.

Soul Destroying

Having worked in retail for 25 years at Management level both home and abroad I started work for this group early in the year and have now left(Thank God). As a employer Farmfoods must be one of the worst companies to work for, the workload alone is unmanageable as you cant staff the stores correctly due to deliveries arriving late consistently sometimes 4-5 hours late. No compensation is given for this management are expected to work the extra hours with no chance of ever getting that time paid or returned in lieu. I was contracted to work 45 hours I did more like 60+,then there is the expectations they expect miracles but wont give you the staff to get the job done correctly. Training well to be honest there isn't any and as for the ridiculous time wasting procedures they put in place for example having to count 30-40 lines and email them to your area manager at 9pm when u have closed and he has no idea what stock you have ordered and being delivered the next day being one, never mind the constant ringing of bells you get for tasks that a cashier could perform if given the authority to do so. The support staffs general apathy towards field teams is rude the service they provide is shocking, when a piece of equipment does not works it takes weeks to replace as they wont spend the money to get it fixed and this then puts you at a disadvantage, no consideration is made regards this. Regards pay this company takes the mick big time staff are only paid 30 mins after closing yet are there sometimes 10-20 mins extra often,as they expect you to count n cash up 4 tills, take 3-4  -

Pros

struggling to think of one to be honest probably the staff discount

Cons

hours, training, support structure, ethics

SHOCKING & TERRIBLE. Hate the place!!!

Contracted to 10 hours, however I work well over 30+ a week while studying in college, constantly in a depressed mood because of this. The store manager is very unfair as she doesn't give you a break until at least 6 hours of work sometimes, she never gives you your days you have booked off and then she complains about having the day off. When I was 17 I was forced to work at half 5 in the morning (illegal). Sometimes chairs on the tills aren't allowed from this your standing up on the till for 6+ hours every time. NO benefits, no overtime pay for Boxing Day!!! And bank holidays. There is 12 staff in the store, I only like 3 as the rest are stuck up unfair people!! I can't wait to leave this company/job as I'm joining the army, and will NEVER return to this company ever again!!!! The pay is £4 for under 18 and £5.10 for 18+. Which at £4 is shocking for 30 hours a week (£120). Can't believe I even applied to this job, talk about regret!!! But I need the money! DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!

Pros

15% discount

Cons

Hours, pay, breaks, holidays (days off), no benefits, manager

Avoid.

AVOID, I worked here for 6 months. It was fun at the start and slowly it started putting pressure on me. I started as a part timer and I was only contracted to 12 hours initally, I was given 18 hours. I talked to the manager who only shortened it to 17 hours. It was as if the interviewer didn't speak to the manager at all. It was certainly a learning curve, the people I worked with were alright. The management was horrendous as stated above. Generally everyone who worked there was treated like rubbish by the manager. Oh and the stock takes, I was originally not told about these so it was a shock when I was told we had to do them. 2.5 hours of bending over and counting frozen stock is not fun. The hardest part the job was that you were pushed to your absolute limits, we had to ask for toilet breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers, usually friendly and nice. If I ever was offered to work at Farmfoods, it would simply be a no. If you are planning to work here for a short period (6-12months) then it's not bad, but for the long term I would certainly avoid.

Pros

Good time pass, Good learning curve. The discount is quite healthy at 15%.

Cons

No consideration for your health, unorganised breaks.

none caring money grabbing soul destroying company

I worked for farmfoods for 8 years as a store manager, somtimes doing 15 to 16 hour shifts with no breaks,i already had retail managment experiance so wanst afraid of hard work.But this company breaks every rule in the book.I used to get a delivery everyday upto 20 pallets of stock including chill stock whin was normally upto 2 pallets, 4 frozen pallets and anything upto 12 to 13 pallets of dry goods, in a morning there would be 2 members of staff thats with myself included and one other member of staff,the other member of staff would be on the till and i would have to get the chill out in the 20 minute time frame they allowed us, then also get the frozen out within 2 hours and only have 1 more other member of staff to help me,i was contracted to 45 per week but normally ended up doing at least 65 hours per week with no thanks what so ever, all this company cares about is profits, the people i worked with was the best part of the job,the hardest part was no breaks no lunch working upto 16 hours a day with no thanks for it, there was no enjoyable part to this job it just grinds you down, i was actually made very ill through working for this soul destroying company

Pros

Cons

everything connected to these people

Great owner, poor divisional/area managers

The review avoid like the plague is accurate. Management are treated like garbage and the general consensus is you cannot have a personal life if you work here. The staff are downtrodden, the managers overworked until they are soul destroyed and the area/divisional manager dont care as long as the storedis open and trading. They only care when they get bad audits or mystery shoppers. The ethos of farmfoods is great, but somewhere along the line of management it gets lost in translation.

Pros

good bonus scheme and George Herd has great vision

Cons

Ridiculous hours, no support, no training and lack of cover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farmfoods Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7