Fashion Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

interesting opportunity
Professor of Retail Planning & Allocation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2018
Overall great pace to work, but salary does not compensate for work. As an adjunct professor they only pay for in class hours and do not account for many more hours needed for prep and grading.
Fast Pace and Productive
Secretary III / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
A typical day at work I am first in to open the office and meet with supervisor to go over daily work schedules. In my office we work independently at a fast pace. I currently work with over 80 faculty members and 5 staff. I am supervisor to the receptionist area and train new hired staff. I over see the day to day activity of the department.
Pros
The benefits of working at a school days off and flexibility
Cons
no cons on my behalf
Excellent
Financial Aid Counselor Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
Excellent work environment with supportive supervisors, great collegial staff, many on-campus benefits, and enjoyed helping students. Nice work environment.
Pros
excellent work environmet
Cons
lack of promotional opportunities
Summary of working at the Fashion Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor of CAD Textile Design (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
Working at the Fashion Institute was fun and gave me a sense of fulfillment. Seeing the students light up once they gained the knowledge from a given lesson was wonderful. The workplace culture was fun and congenial but of course had some politics.
Management was sincere and fair.

Depending on how many classes you were given to teach before each semester, determined how many hours you would work. According to a hierarchy the professors were allowed to chose the courses that they wanted to teach. The hierarchy was determined by the number of hours you had accrued. Classes were usually no less than 3 hours each. Professors were required to open the room and set up for the class, take attendance and follow the syllabus and the course outline. It was important to instruct the students for 1 hour with a break and then the rest of the class was focused to do hands on practice of the days lesson.

As professors we were constantly learning something new. I learned how to use an internal software called Blackboard to help with the course work and Apple's Pages for creating documents and the lessons for the students. There was a constant need to use proprietary software to teach.

The hours were sometimes long because there was a lot of preparatory work to do and there was also long hours with grading of projects at the end of every semester.
Pros
Flexibility, friendly atmosphere, a opportunity to continually learn
Cons
low pay and long hours
Fun and creative work place to work
Adjunct Professor, CCE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2018
Team oriented environment. Enjoyable, not too stressful. It was a great place to work/share your work experiences and give students a fair look at the industry they plan to go into.
hhmmmm
Product Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2018
not sure of what you want me to say--can't really say anything and truly don't know what you want really--so just going to type away and make sure i get to the minimum
Pros
gree
overall grt place to work
Support Services Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
great place to work, especially enjoy the Summer Fridays. no dress code. I enjoy the college population - lots of young people to interact with. the staff can be a little pretentious, but overall everyone is cool.
I Was an RA
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working for FIT as a Resident assistant. I am not sure what else to say other then it was an overall good experience. .... Recomened 10/10 !
no comment
Instructor of Lighting Design 101 and 102 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
no comment, was only a part time worker. Night time classes only.
no benefits and no advancement possible.Teaching young students was not what I signed up for. Wanted to teach students more interested in lighting design.
Pros
own hours
Cons
low pay
great pople
Technology- Director HRIT (Current Employee) –  NYJune 7, 2018
interesting place Spent 4 years and each day is an adventure. It is a place where you are free to express yourself and pride's itself on it's students
I got what I paid for.
Full time Student/ Designer in training (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2018
It wasn't the best school but by far was it one of the most affordable ones in NYC. The graphic department is good but I learned most of the basics before I got to college.
Pros
good skill building
Cons
sometimes unskilled preofessors
Fashion Styling
Fashion Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
I like working during new york fashion week. It's a great experience to gain knowledge and have fun. It's a very resourceful gig and great atmosphere.
Pros
Fun
Beware
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
Typical day was a mystery, learned much from the supervisor I had, besides that I didn't learn anything else. Doesn't offer any benefits to anyone who isn't trapped there.
Great experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2018
Helping others I learned about other students. It was a nice and rewarding experience. It helped me develop more communicating skills and also to reinforce all that I learned at school.
Summer art program for high school students
Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
The program was aimed at high school students, I took a class in color theory the first year and I took classes in illustration and sewing my second year. It is a relatively pleasant environment for art-making, and professors were understanding. I developed my artistic ability and skills.
Pros
improved artistic skills
Cons
need to carry heavy art supplies
Interesting
Public Safety officer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 19, 2018
Fashion Institute of Technology is a great place to work,you get to learn new thing that you won't get to learn else where. Plus it's a fast place you have to be fast and on top of things always.
Creative and positive with supportive teachers and culture
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
Great environment to teach in. Students are serious and the other teachers are supportive and contribute to helping out. Portfolio reviews are positive and constructive. Students are very respectful and ambitious.
Quark boosts Income
Instructor / Master Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2018
FIT was a great place to work. The pay was good. I loved the job. Helping the students understand Quark, Photoshop and Illustrator was very satisfying.
Pros
Meeting and working with creative people
Nice place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I have been employed at fashion Institute of Technology since 2001. I am an Adjunct Professor of Physical Education. I teach classes for credit to students. I give lecture presentations and I teach exercises. I really enjoy working at this SUNY college. I love helping and educating students on all facets of health and wellness.
Job requirement
Interim Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
company provides job security after the tenure process. Must enjoy working with students and families. Travel is a required part of the job. be prepared to be gone out of the office 40 percent of the time.
Pros
summer Fridays