Fashion Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
no comment
Instructor of Lighting Design 101 and 102 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
no comment, was only a part time worker. Night time classes only.
no benefits and no advancement possible.Teaching young students was not what I signed up for. Wanted to teach students more interested in lighting design.
Pros
own hours
Cons
low pay
I got what I paid for.
Full time Student/ Designer in training (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2018
It wasn't the best school but by far was it one of the most affordable ones in NYC. The graphic department is good but I learned most of the basics before I got to college.
Pros
good skill building
Cons
sometimes unskilled preofessors
Fashion Styling
Fashion Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
I like working during new york fashion week. It's a great experience to gain knowledge and have fun. It's a very resourceful gig and great atmosphere.
Pros
Fun
Beware
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
Typical day was a mystery, learned much from the supervisor I had, besides that I didn't learn anything else. Doesn't offer any benefits to anyone who isn't trapped there.
Great experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2018
Helping others I learned about other students. It was a nice and rewarding experience. It helped me develop more communicating skills and also to reinforce all that I learned at school.
Summer art program for high school students
Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
The program was aimed at high school students, I took a class in color theory the first year and I took classes in illustration and sewing my second year. It is a relatively pleasant environment for art-making, and professors were understanding. I developed my artistic ability and skills.
Pros
improved artistic skills
Cons
need to carry heavy art supplies
Interesting
Public Safety officer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 19, 2018
Fashion Institute of Technology is a great place to work,you get to learn new thing that you won't get to learn else where. Plus it's a fast place you have to be fast and on top of things always.
Creative and positive with supportive teachers and culture
Co-Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
Great environment to teach in. Students are serious and the other teachers are supportive and contribute to helping out. Portfolio reviews are positive and constructive. Students are very respectful and ambitious.
Nice place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I have been employed at fashion Institute of Technology since 2001. I am an Adjunct Professor of Physical Education. I teach classes for credit to students. I give lecture presentations and I teach exercises. I really enjoy working at this SUNY college. I love helping and educating students on all facets of health and wellness.
Job requirement
Interim Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
company provides job security after the tenure process. Must enjoy working with students and families. Travel is a required part of the job. be prepared to be gone out of the office 40 percent of the time.
Pros
summer Fridays
Clerical Assistant
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2017
Work-study jobs at the Fashion Institute of Technology is very beneficial for students. It is very beneficial because you not only get to work with other students and faculty, you also learn the school holistically.
Pet Product & Marketing Design (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2017
Comprehensive training in design, marketing, and branding of apparel, accessories, and pet lifestyle products for developing a line or starting a business.
Fit
Associate Chair of Technical Design Dept & Pattern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2017
Excellent world know Fashion College! The students are very talented and excellent. It is a great enviorment and very collaborative. I would never leave.
FIT Instructor
INDEPENDENT LECTURER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2017
A smart and engaging environment in which to work. it's hard to beat teaching fashion history in NYC, as there are so many opportunities for great field trips and educational opportunities for the class.
Pros
Surrounded by great educational opportunities in NYC
Cons
Some students not so interested as others
Adjunct Professor Experience
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
I reserve the right to hold my opinion private.
My personal experience does not reflect the experience of other faculties. I can only affirm that FIT academic work is rigorous, and fosters an environment of peer support and good work ethics.
Pros
no opinion
Cons
no opinion
Velvet Handcuffs
Student Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
The job isn't terribly difficult, just repetitive. Things are slow to change and ideas are slow to be assimilated if at all. Great for stability though and building some savings. The benefits are solid and there is quite a bit of PTO. I'm just looking for something more stimulating and creative, and I just am not finding that here.

I learned a great deal about communication and interpersonal relationships. I primarily am in the business of people all day, every day. My ability to navigate conversation both verbally and in writing has improved; however, I answer the same questions over and over. It gets quite tedious at times.

In the workplace, things are generally more on the quiet conservative side. People aren't dramatic and like more to keep to themselves, do their work, and go home.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the students and getting to make real, tangible changes in their lives. Those moments when students are overcome with joy and gratitude because I was able to help them are what this job worth it at all.
Good
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I worked as an assistant soccer coach at FIT as a student. It was a great way to earn some extra money, but I do not know about the benefits that one would get as a full time professor or anyone working in the office.
Overall great place to work
Human Resources Time & Attendance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
The staff and benefits are great and very competitive for the area. The organization is supportive of training and development. There is room for growth.
Fun part-time job, ended up taking over a lot of manager responsibilities.
Tour Guide Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2017
As a leader, I was one of the students with the most responsibility, and as such was more stressed than others, but it was still easy and exciting. Everyone in the office is very nice and helpful yet fun to talk to.
Pros
Still paid when there is no work to be done.
Cons
Stressful and unorganized at times.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2017
I love working for the Fashion Institute of Technology! I always have great experiences at work and the management is awesome! What I enjoy most is meeting so many new people on a daily basis.
Pros
Everyone is great to work with