Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 2,023 reviews matching the search See all 2,174 reviews
Traffic and Fleet managers are horrible
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSMarch 21, 2019
The hours are OK. The Traffic and Fleet managers are in over their head. Both of them have no idea of how to lead personnel. Because of their lack of skills, driver turnover is high.
Pros
Nice equipment
Cons
Traffic and Fleet managers
Great company with many opportunities
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2019
This is my college job that has put me through many different forms of learning and growing about the work industry of today. There are many different things that Fastenal teaches, even part timers, that are going to help us in the work world overall.
Pros
Good about working with college schedule
Cons
Upward mobility is limited to open positions
Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXMarch 20, 2019
A typical day consisted of each employee completing his/her daily responsibility, usually split by morning and afternoon. The work was busy but usually not stressful.
Casual/ Good Work Environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMarch 18, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Fastenal because i had my own responsibilities to handle. Your day was as long as your task took, it I would’ve been advanced to Full-Time I would have stayed there as long as I could’ve
Long days 10 hours / micromanaging / backaches
Outside Sales & Purchasing (Former Employee) –  LouisianaMarch 17, 2019
Too much on salespeople
You have to do collections, expedite orders, stock and repair vending machines. stocking, receiving, quoting, searching for random parts, answer store phones and help everyone including other employees customers. Delivery and stocking customers orders, reporting, store reports, personal sales reports, end of day reports, tool repair quotes, clean, label, organize, be able to lift very heavy boxes all day, work in excessive heat and cold. Cycle count every item in the store.
10 hour days = 10 hours overtime, you get commission which barely makes up for the extra 40 hours of labor a month.
Pros
Customers are normally very nice
Cons
Prices too high, over saturated market, too much demand on salespeople
Very good place to work for while in college.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, TNMarch 16, 2019
Fastenal teaches many tools on how real life skills. I learn something new almost everyday at work. They like promoting people from within and are very flexible to employees. I have fun everyday at work because of my co-workers, and that makes coming to work a lot easier.
Pros
Very flexible, Good Management, Off on weekends
Cons
Goals are sometimes unrealistic, prices are kind of high
good for sales ppl or as a temporary job
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 15, 2019
It is very obvious why the turnover rate is high. Part-timers are treated and seen as disposable. Depressing place to work at depending on your co-workers and location of the store or during the slow season.
Pros
Good manager depending on location
Cons
low pay, no benefits, dirty work environment
Unrealistic expectations vs compensation.
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Fort Payne, ALMarch 14, 2019
In the beginning, days were spent dealing with walk in customers, while expected to also be packing orders for delivery in the back. Often there was not more than one employee on site at any one time so you had to stop one thing to help walk ins.

As time went on and turnover occurred, we were placed with additional responsibilities on the lower ranked associates without increase in title or pay. Basically became outside sales reps and sales associates with BOBs (books of business) we were to call on and try to increase business with. Everything with no increase in compensation and very little formal training. Was flat out told by district management that Fastenal doesn't believe in cost of living raises either, raises are "factored into promotions." Only promotion offer I received after almost 2 years with them was for less than competing companies had offered me basically when I hired on with Fastenal (a substantial increase 10k+). I had stayed because the location was more convenient to my house and future plans and was constantly promised promotions right down the line. I applied for at least 5-10 other positions in the company within three states in time I was there meeting all the listed credentials. Only called about a single one.

We had major corporations in our area (one of Fastenal's top 5 customers I was told) and they purchased all of their fasteners from us. Unfortunately, several of the items were custom made parts that had long lead times. Red tape in management meant that those of us on the ground couldn't order these parts due to the expense in
  more... quantities enough to keep them in stock... leading to frequent stock outs or request for approval for large, often still negative margin quantities.

The company claims one culture but I rarely saw it practiced. The lower ranked employees seemed to do much more of the actual work, and still get far less pay. Management seemed to over promise customers and not deliver leading to angry customers and loss of business which we all were punished for (loss of available promotions / company resources). This seemed to be a recurring issue at this branch as all my customers seemed to mirror many of my thoughts, most of them simply telling me these things unprompted during sales calls. The best employees quitting due to poor salaries and difficulty with management, , and the ones who were around overpromised and underdelivered.

Any time you requested time off without weeks notice it was highly discouraged / rude about. Always understaffed so whenever someone was out it was hard on the rest of the team. Job security for your position but very little advancement. Not much flexibility for branch employees on hours unless you were salaried and exempt (OSR or manager. meaning almost none.) Basically only exempt employees got to leave early for stuff without making up the hours somewhere or using PTO. Family life suffered as a result. Didn't even want to follow what was in the handbook for time off for doctors visits on occasions.

I loved the customers for the most part, the flexibility to be on the road and not in an office, and the general work wasn't awful. But the low pay, poor management, and poor distribution of the workload was awful. Add in the ridiculous amount of red tape for a job that consistently told you was hands off management and it was highly annoying and a tad ironic.
Pros
Local community businesses, networking, job leads to customers
Cons
Pay, management, Red tape, disconnect between executive level employees, company motto's, and what happens on the ground
Terrible place to be
Quality (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2019
Horrible place management sucks they want you busting ur butt for 11 an hour and they expect you to work like your making 15an hour. I gaurented if you go to another machinist warehoused you easily making 15 an hour. Most machines are broken there old and outdated. They also have a high turn over rate people quit left and right they hire literally anyone when I say anyone I mean anyone. Most people stay there 6 months to a year tops
Packaging bags
Project manager for the packaging department (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 14, 2019
Fastenal was an awesome place to work. they allowed me to be very productive and would come together and solve a problem together instead of the blame some one else. Learned what being a team really was there.
Pros
Fun and exciting place to work
Cons
Part time
Great Job
Mini Load Picking (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 13, 2019
Good Job for teenagers who are looking to find a job, there are many benefits with working at this job, and can possibly turn into a long term career if this job fits you.
very competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 11, 2019
This job was more of a sell your product to different companies. I didnt have that experience and I wanted to try something different, It wasnt for me.
Pros
good people
Cons
not much of a seller
Fast passed environment
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 10, 2019
I worked here quite some time. I was alone everyday all day inside the store because the other three people I worked with were supposed to be outside of the store all day. I was tasked with doing everything and then getting treated poorly when I couldn’t get everything done
Pros
I was alone so music choice was mine
Cons
Culture is laxking
Absolutely terrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKMarch 7, 2019
Would’ve been a great place to work if the management wasn’t so abhorrent. Durant Fastenal has the worst management I have ever experienced in my entire life. Go work anywhere else in town, this place is not worth your time.
Pros
Zero pros
Not awful but not great
General Manager and Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 7, 2019
Good for 20-somethings looking to get some experience, but anyone that is worth a darn moves on quickly...it takes a 60+ hour work week to get the job done because they staff stores at a minimal level.
bad company
Regional Finance Support (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNMarch 7, 2019
Bad company to work for. The supervisors are not good and didn't receive a raise for over 7 years, and that was only when the entire department got a raise when goals were met
You're book of business, is a headache.
B2B Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2019
I worked at Fastenal for 2 years as a sales rep. The fact that they promote from within is great. However they don't train management for their new position.The two managers I reported to, knew nothing. The stock guy knew more than them. This "book of business" model sucks! Fastenal has a warehouse in Indianapolis that they encourage you to get product from, the problem is most of your accounts will want product from their third party vendors. Which becomes your problem as a sales rep. If it doesn't come from their warehouse your commission takes a hit.They assume every account wants their fasteners. Not true. It's makes sense for them to put the burden of what it cost to provide third party vendors on one employee. You're responsible for a percentage of the gas it takes to transport, the cost they pay the vendor, etc Nothing about this model makes sense. But this is the same company that had myself and other employees in a facility with no heat, for a month during the winter in Chicago. They stay out of debt, but taking from their employees. You ever heard the term, "rob Peter to pay Paul". You're Peter and Fastenal is Paul. If you just want to get the experience, knock yourself out!

FYI: Be prepared to work mandatory 10 hour days. Whatever you're salary is, you're really making less.
Pros
Finding a better job
Cons
Accepting the job
Fast Paced and Aways Something To Do
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALMarch 6, 2019
Fastenal is a great company, with the opportunity for advancement if you are willing to be flexible geographically. It is a fast paced and competitive environment. The company prefers to promote from within and invests a lot of resources into its employees
Pros
Flexible Schedule and Work Place Freedom
Cons
Compensation to Work ratio.
Good Place to Work
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2019
Working at Fastenal was a fun part time job. The store and warehouse managers were both fun to work for and were good people. Good coworkers made going to work each day a joy. The work was varied enough to keep the days from getting boring.
I can’t believe they’re still in business
Inside Sales Manager/ Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMarch 6, 2019
Fastenal’s business model is to buy cheap and sell really high, really high. They feed you the kool-aid and make you believe if you sell a lot you will make tons of money. You can make decent money the first year but after that they expect you to top your previous years numbers and if you don’t your pay will suffer. It’s actually built in to their commission equation which is ludicrous. You bust your tail to sell the same product everyone else is selling at a much less expensive price and are not rewarded for doing so. It won’t take long for you to figure out why there’s a revolving door of new employees every 6 months to a year. The only other place I have personally seen more turnover is in the poultry business. Fastenal could be a great place to work if they would compensate their employees better and treat them with some respect. I wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, management