Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 2,128 reviews matching the search See all 2,291 reviews
Popularity outranks ability
Corporate - general administration (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJune 17, 2019
While each location & dept differs, my experience proved to be similar to high school popularity contest. The VP favored those he spent time with socially or found attractive. If you were not included in the 'inner circle' your ideas, suggestions, questions, comments, etc were ignored & even mocked.
Workload was very intense & not possible to be completed within the day or even a reasonable timeframe; training & background resources are limited so you found yourself 'winging it' most of the time while trying to complete 16 hours of work in 8hrs hours of a day.
Employers expectations & workload far exceed your wage & benefits.
Pros
Casual dress code, paid vacation for FT employees
Cons
High turnover, limited guidance, raise reviews every other year often delayed to 3yrs.
Solid stepping stone
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, OHJune 17, 2019
Fastenal was a great place to learn how a company runs. Also a great place to teach you if sales are for you or not. You are entirely your own boss day to day in a certain sense. You are given enough rope to hang yourself or swing like tarzan, again its all up to you. It was definitely a great foundation .
Pros
Loose schedule
Cons
Not a lot of help when your branch is on a decline/
Very clique
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Superior, WI. Duluth, Mn.June 16, 2019
Treated poorly- Very thankless job.
It doesn’t matter how much you try, it’s never good enough.
The customer being happy with your work wasn’t good enough- “it was too slow”
1/2 of my coworkers were crabby daily.
My hours got cut for reasons unknown.
No raises.

I worked at 2 different Fastenals and this goes for both of them.
Pros
Good customer relationships
Cons
Clique, Thankless, poor work environment.
Good place to start
Outside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 13, 2019
Good place to get you head into sales, but if you don’t know the right people and if your not with the in crowd, you won’t move up. Upper management uses you for their gain.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Upper management
Overworked & underpaid! 😞
Team member (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 13, 2019
This job is what they call "part time" but you are working a min of 8 hours a day onwards up to 13 hours! It is a physical job and you definitely stay active throughout your shift. Overtime can be reached each week, which is funny as to why it's called a "part-time" job... Maybe so they don't have to hand out benefits?? There are quarterly raises, of an entire 0.25 cents! I think the worst part about this job is that you definitely are UNDERPAID, like the amont of work they expect you to do is just rediculous for the amount of pay!
Extremely laid back.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSJune 13, 2019
Fastenal was a nice entry level warehouse job. You learned that you wanted to keep up with others and finish quickly to excel. You had goals that you wanted to hit.
Pros
Vending Machines, Game Table, Big Break Room
Cons
Not Enough Equipment For Everyone
self paced productive place to work.
Sales Support / Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 12, 2019
A typical day at work is account management that would include traveling from business to business maintaining accounts. Inventory management, client relations.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
low pay
Too old for review
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PAJune 11, 2019
I have not worked here in over ten years so I cannot accurately review this place; however, I'm being forced to do so. It was a great part time job while in college.
Its a good place to learn
Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 11, 2019
I have watched over the years how good it is to have a place like Fastenal to learn and not be afraid to make a mistake. I like how they help there employees in hard times.
Mansco a Division of FASTENAL
Supplier Quality & Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Hudsonville, MIJune 11, 2019
Great company to work for however the rate of pay was not what I expected and the job was too laid back. Other than that overall company is growing but no room for advancement.
Would not recommend
Salea (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 9, 2019
Do not recommend. Never again. Should never have worked there. Choosing other options ahould have been a priority. Definitely do not recommend to anyone.
If your not in the in crowd then your out
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJune 8, 2019
Inappropriate relationships between management and workers if you're not in with it then they get rid of you if they don't like you they get rid of you they falsely accuse you of things that you didn't do to get rid of you no questions asked
Pros
Cons
You can get laid by the manager
I worked for a really good manager
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJune 8, 2019
I worked for a really good manager. I think this can make all the difference in a job. I know many other people did not have nearly as good of an experience as I had while working here.
Pros
Flexible with school/work schedule
Cons
Minimal Pay
Fastenals facts
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  NCJune 6, 2019
With over 6 years of CSR and similar experience, one would think they would offer a bit more thank $10 an hour. I don’t mind the work so far but I do see where others say it’s stressful along with other factors. Apparently everyone starts off part time which isn’t bad but with such low starting pay it sorta makes thing more of a headache. Hopefully it’ll get better/higher after a few months, it is a very successful company which doubles it’s market every 5-6 years so there should be no reason to continue to pay loyal employees such low salary.
Pros
It’s flexible so far, the work isn’t that hard.
Cons
Low starting pay, work can be a bit tedious at times.
Not a place if you care about people/customers
GM Manager (Former Employee) –  Somewhere paJune 6, 2019
Worst management I have ever witnessed line their pockets while skimping on the help. Margins more important than people or employees. Save stress go somewhere else
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Was an amazing company to work for while BK owned it. There was a change and employees became numbers.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJune 5, 2019
I was there around 17 years which is unheard of. I won nearly every district competition. Showed growth up to 1000% in a branch. Worked my way up as you should. Unlimited resources and the distribution system is second to none. I loved the company and was a “lifer”. They restructured after the founder stepped aside. Allowed people that were not qualified to jump up quickly. This expansion caused the company to lose focus on those that really cared and excelled. Started bringing in the cheapest available labor and it shows. Long time employees cast aside without a care by VP’s. Focused on import product at high prices. Customers noticed lesser quality products and high turnover. It’s too bad. Was a quality company with no ceiling. Now an expensive version of companies they used to beat easily with lack of pride in my opinion. Want my gold watch? It’s rare.
Pros
Excellent distribution
Cons
They lost their best people due to going cheap
Sales Support
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  PAJune 5, 2019
Fastenal shipping errors occur constantly. Inventory is thrown away to save time. So if you need some free hardware check the landfill for a gold mine...
Pros
Infrastructure, good starter job
Cons
Pay
The pay isn't great but a great place to work
Account Specialist and Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 4, 2019
It was a great job to learn and but not to excel. If you do not have a degree and are willing to wait for opportunities to arise you will do just fine.
Try to avoid unless you really need a quick job
Store Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJune 4, 2019
Oh man....what to say. I'm glad to be gone. I had a great coworker. Low pay low hours very poor training. Only place I've ever worked where you pay for your own company shirt. To be honest just alot of really inept individuals collected into one company. A place to collect some paychecks and leave. Also you'll need to work off the clock because of lack of coverage. I guess they dont mind violating labor laws. This place is desperate too I recieved keys to the store 2 hours into my first day. If you show up to interview you'll probably get hired.
Pros
I liked my coworker nice guy and only competent employee i encountered
Cons
Too many to state
Growth focused industrial sales company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 3, 2019
Fastenal is a fast paced dynamic industrial sales company with a strong focus on sales growth. Hard workers are easily promoted for exceeding expectations.