Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 1,939 reviews matching the search See all 2,081 reviews
Great Co-Workers, Decent Company
Outside Sales Representative (OSR) (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDDecember 13, 2018
In Rapid City South Dakota the Fastenal Team is a very friendly and very motivated group. Everyone is a team player and has the same goals. Management is extremely understanding as long as you are doing your job they will work with you.
Overall good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLDecember 13, 2018
If the management was different I would still be there.
The employees are great
The customers are the absolute best
They pay you to travel and compensate you for your time
Pros
Free training
Cons
No management
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CADecember 12, 2018
Was a good part-time job. Learned a lot at this job specifically B2B aspects of the job. Plenty of opportunities, which take a lot of hard work to reach.
Pros
Training programs, culture is okay, on hands experience
Cons
Not many, management seems to be all over the place. Sales goals can be stressful
Horrible experience
Project Manager/Custom Packaging Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 12, 2018
Fastenal is not a good company to work for. Racism and nepotism in this company leads to unfair business practices. Especially towards minorities. Not a good company to work for.
Pros
Cons
Racism, Nepotism is hurting the company
Good organization
Store Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 11, 2018
Good place to work would have stayed for longer but DM was a tool bag and he was on a mission to get rid of me. I would have really enjoyed my time there if that DM was not there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere.
Cons
Horrible District Manager to work for.
Great company to work for overall.
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 11, 2018
Great company to work for if you are seeking flexibility and a chance to make a decent amount of cash. Tend to be more desirable for college students.
Fastenal is Great
Branch Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 8, 2018
Fastenal is a wonderful company to work for. Very fair and a great culture to be in. Day to day work is what you would expect with any inside sales job and outside sales is about the same but more planned as opposed to cold calls.
If you're a part timer, you will not gain respect from upper managers almost everyday!
Picking-mini-load (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 7, 2018
I am a current 5:30 am picker here. On this shift the main manager comes in about 3.5 hours into it, ( Maybe two times an week) and relies on the team picking leads, to just enter our production totals about every 40 minutes, the PICKING lead likes to sit during most of that time, and do computer work( looking busy most of the time). There are many breakdowns of the crane that sends all the orders to us in our cells, to pick. One picker does work harder than most and puts on a harness, that should be the leads duty to fix a crane, but as I said the more you do, the more advantage they take!(Some days it stops running,making our numbers look a lot worse than they are,( you should be near a 70% rate ) Some lines have easier picks than the others, but the team lead can manipulate what picks we get? Of course they will take advantage of the few pickers on their lines that do more than others, and the ones who show up daily on time to do their job, verse the others on the shifts they work on! They go home early, no-shows

I see many of the part-timers they hire in on other shifts and even in other departments, that come in around my last hour of working, and quit sometimes the next day, or in a few weeks, they do get a lot of bums here trying to get easy money, clocking in late, by barley just getting by. It takes a team-effort as a picker, but many are lazy, immature, or rely on the other pickers to do all the extra side work. But, still have the gumption to try and talk smack behind their backs, for actually doing what it takes to get a job done, during our hours...
Pros
I like the 5:30 A.M start time
Cons
Hard workers get taken advantage of, no tow motor training chances as promised!
Good
Picking-Lead/ Receiving-Lead / Sortation-Lead (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 5, 2018
Good company, could use better management. Not enough one on one training, however 13 dollars and hour for part timers, 17 an hour for full timers plus bonuses. Easy work as long as your not lazy.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 5, 2018
I really enjoy working at Fastenal. They provide a motivated atmosphere which makes for a healthy work life. Management is top of the line and they really care about their employees.
Great place to learn....
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 3, 2018
I started my machining career here. I worked here for almost a decade but life took me in another direction. I have worked at many shops since then honing my craft and taking the knowledge I learned from Fastenal along the way. I had a lot of great memories at the shop, my coworkers were the best crew of guys ive ever worked with and in this trade that is very hard to find. Long story short if you want a career not a job and have the right attitude with a willingness to learn this company is a good fit.
Pros
Benefits vacation opportunities to learn
Cons
Can be stressful to meet short deadlines.
Fastenal Overall
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  IndianaDecember 3, 2018
There is little to no advancement opportunities at Fastenal. When you travel for the company, expenses are on you, no reimbursement of meals. The insurance benefit package is the poorest I have ever experienced in my work career. The leadership team is so young they have little to no ability to fully understand real life situations in business management.
The best thing I have to say is I loved the people overall.
Pros
Team of employees are great people
Cons
The company cares more about the bottom dollar than having happy employees, trying to provide or improve benefits.
Difficult to work with others
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York County, SCDecember 2, 2018
The environment seemed hostile working here and was never a fun place to be. The management never seemed to care about anything or what the employees were doing as long as sales goals were met.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Ba
Fast-Paced and highly customer service oriented
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 26, 2018
In general , the company gives plenty of good possibilities and opportunities for advancement and learning. Very good morality and aspects of unity. You work together as a team and together push forward to help better the buisness. The key is growth through customer service. Learning what the customers want and fulfilling their needs. Great job for those with industrial,construction and safety experience. Always learning something new and achieving set goals.Management overall is good though it depends through different branches and environments. Many customer service skills and company programs and systems may be learned as you go. This job is a good choice for those who want to better their sales and customer service skills. For those who also look to move up the ladder the company definitely encourages it. Give it a try if these may sound appealing to anyone.
Pros
Closed on weekends, Off on Holidays, Fast paced, Consistently active, Meet new people, Use of company vehicles for deliveries of customer goods, Teamwork
Cons
Short breaks, May become very stressful at times, Dealing with upset customers, Overwhelming Multitasking, Many responsibilities, Poor training, Micromanagement
Great Company that is invested in developing it's employees.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILNovember 26, 2018
Great Company that is invested in developing it's employees. Supports employees participating in training and will cover expenses. Great company to work for if you want to feel like you own your business.
Pros
Extensive training offered.
Poor managment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 23, 2018
Poor pay for the fact you have to be a college student or gradute. No room to move up, lied to during interview. Was told part time was just to get started. Two years later and I was still part time with no increase in wage. They sell everything for far more than you can buy elsewhere. They charge customers for products they new give to them. Took the job as a way to get an in with maintenance departments. As maintenace is my back ground. Several better companies to use that hire emplyees that actually know their products. Make you go through three interviews before hiring you part time and make you do the three interviews over if you are a return hire.Breaking point was when I was scheduled 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. Hard to find another job wjen you work at the exact time people wanna do interviews.
Pros
Get to get out of the store and drop product off.
Cons
pay, hours, managment and lack of advancement.
Don't work here
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denison, TXNovember 21, 2018
Do yourself a favor and Dont work here! It is awful! The managers are terrible and they only look out for the bottom dollar. Their core values are integrity, teamwork, innovation, and ambition. You will only get far in the company if you throw all of those out.
If being stagnant is for you then fastenal is perfect.
Floor picking lead (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2018
I’ve been at fastenal for two years and I had to work my butt off to be a part time lead. Fastenal’s human resource department is one-sided. You aren’t treated like an adult rarely a human being. Raises are foreign.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of raises, poor benefits, managers don’t know how to communicate effectively.
Good Job while in College
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJNovember 18, 2018
It was a great job to have while in college. I learned about business to business relationships. Great experience, and they like to promote within which is a great factor.
Pros
Promote from within
Cons
Dirty job
Fun place to work but i've seen good workers get picked on by management fo the pettiest reasons there.
Forklift Operator/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 17, 2018
Overall great place to work with awesome benefit. When it comes to who they want to keep around for the long run can be quite political based off of "how cool" or "who you know" basis.
Pros
Good crew to work with
Cons
Not enough pay