Fastenal Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,717 reviews matching the search See all 1,843 reviews
Great Way to Start a Sales Career
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 21, 2018
They were great about hiring from within and building a great reputation. Tons of training to understand the product you sell. Being in the field and calling on customers is enjoyable with this company
do not work here
Logistics / Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2018
horrible place to work, culture is terrible payis terrible, no real way to move up unless you become a manager. If managers want you out they will build a case against you. KEEP LOOKING FOR SOMEWHERE ELSE TO WORK!
Pros
there are none
Cons
there are TOO many
Independant Manager
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 20, 2018
Fastenal allows me to manage daily operations with little to no interaction. Hit sales goal and margins and the DM and RM leave you alone. Collections of past dues are a second priortity to sales.
Pros
Customer Satisfaction
Cons
Staff turnover
Greed
Outside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNMay 19, 2018
Too many Layer's of the Sales Cycle.These layer's makes it impossible for the OSR and Management to reep the rewards of hard work. I could go on for days about there business model, but I won't. In short, the model remind me(a vetran Manager)of a Triple Teir Marketing ploy.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Under payed, Insurance, Greed, Advancement, Relationship Hiring outside of work
busy
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMay 18, 2018
not bad but was never given the opportunity I was told I would get after much demandinging training. Mgr. gave up on me even though I obtained new and lost business.
Pros
ran my on show
Cons
did not get what I was told
Fast-paced and competitive work environment
Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXMay 18, 2018
Fastenal gave me higher knowledge of industrial materials, computer systems, sales support duties and customer service. I performed many inventory checks and helped customers find the materials they were looking for on a day-to-day basis.
Manager is a terrible person
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NM 87401May 18, 2018
When DM was confronted about problems occurring, he basically told me he didn't care and the other employee had been there longer so I just needed to deal with it. I had the worst inconsistent, cut throat, try to write you up for doing your job, terrible coworker at my time at Fastenal. The pay was too low and I worked too hard to "be in trouble for only doing my job". The coworker was awful, tried to yell and harass and bully her way into everything and it was the most nonproductive environment.
Industrial Supply Company
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
Fastenal is an industrial supply company. I do not recommend working there to other people. Overpriced products, low salaries, poor management, cut-throat culture, poorly-educated coworkers, low-class clientele.
Pros
Name-brand products
Cons
Low salaries, poor management, cut-throat culture, poorly-educated coworkers, low-class clientele.
Bad Pay, Doesnt require any college
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 17, 2018
Only room for personal income growth is by somehow selling more expensive product to people whom are all price sensitive.

Nobody has college degrees unless you're in upper management which takes many many years of hard work in the company.

If PT, they want you to go on sales calls but you aren't making any commission just minimum wage. Could be there 3 years will still be getting paid what any person off the street will make.
Pros
Half in store, Half on the road
Cons
Lowest possible pay, Bad training
Job would be great if not for poor management
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAMay 16, 2018
Workplace culture is made up of people who dont want to be there, and leave the slack to be made up by the other workers. Management avoids turnover at all costs and keeps people who dont fit the job well or lack the qualities and skills to be successful in this industry. Customers are easy to work with for the most part.
Pros
Benefits, decent pay
Cons
High turnover in an industry where it takes years to gain product knowldege
Good side gig
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 15, 2018
Was there for nearly 2 years, and it was one of the better jobs I've had. Perfect if you are a student who wants a low stress job. Only uniform items are a company provided t-shirt and ballcap.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
low pay if you have a lot of bills
Good job
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAMay 14, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I learned a lot and was able to use the knowledge learned elsewhere. The employees were fun to work with and it was not hard to learn to properly work there.
Flexible and fair
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 14, 2018
Fastenal was a great company to work for part time while in college because the hours were extremely flexible, due to the fact that they need help all hours of the workday. It was also fair because the managers would would not have you do any task that they wouldn't do themselves. The one drawback is that the pay is low and it is difficult to earn a commission in a part time sales role.
Good entry level sales position.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 13, 2018
Great position to learn about sales. Lot of support from the company on expanding your knowledge of the business by providing trainings. The trainings also help with your overall performance.
Entry Level Only
BRANCH SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Raritan, NJMay 12, 2018
They pay nothing. New hires get $10 an hour and are entrusted to drive a company truck and do sales calls. No experience needed. Managers get $3,000 per month, no negotiation.
Pros
discounts
Cons
terrible salary
Fast paced job with good pay.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Cullman, ALMay 10, 2018
The typical day at work starts at 7am with receiving in the merchandise delivered by our 18-wheeler. After receiving the truck we start pulling orders from our shelves and delivering the orders to our customers. The store front sells to individuals while our deliveries are run from the back. Store hours are 7am-5pm but the day typically goes by fast.
Pros
Flexible hours as part time
Cons
Only one 30 minute lunch break
Sales
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTMay 10, 2018
Sales are a great place to work hard and if you wanna make more money you just have to work harder each day. Fastenal a great place to work but the money wasn’t very good.
Very busy
part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SC 29405May 10, 2018
We received a truck full of orders every day with large amount of product and had to put up daily and delivery daily very full schedule no breaks didn't have time and most of the time couldn't finish the products putting up on the shelves to sale.
Pros
30 min lunch
Cons
no breaks to much work to do.
fast paced, stressful
pick/pack (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2018
this company is a good company but it does not provide any type of benefits and it will over work a person. but if work is all you are about then its a great place to be.
Pros
free paid lunch
Cons
over worked at times
Good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYMay 9, 2018
Reasonable sales goals, good management.
You'll learn a lot about the construction industry
Flexible hours for part timers
It is good job through college