Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 1,848 reviews matching the search See all 1,986 reviews
Innovative work place
OUTSIDE SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Technology and quality management techniques where great at Fastenal Company. They offered very competitive pay and work balance. At times this was stressful, but overall it was well worth it.
Pros
competitive benefits/pay, promote from within
Cons
Customer service related job
Good place to start your career
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNSeptember 14, 2018
I would recommend anyone to start their career here. However, based on my experience within my department I would not recommend staying here for very long. I found the culture to be very dry and somewhat negative. Not a lot of interactions outside of your cubical which you spent practically 8 hours in a day, so it can get long. I didn't find the culture to be what the company makes it out to be, so I was a little disappointed with that. I met a lot of people that loved their job at Fastenal, but they were in a completely different department than me.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
Long days at your desk, mediocre culture, salary isn't competitive
Great
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSSeptember 14, 2018
My favorite job, the place is awsome. Staff is very helpful training is great they take their time and actually teach you what it is you need to know
Productive and active work
Computer Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNSeptember 13, 2018
I enjoy the ability to help people every night through answering calls, taking issues from people via chat and email. I also enjoy the variety of work that is done every night.
Productive but yet fun work environment
Sales Support/Inside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I have learned a lot a good practical business practices since being at Fastenal. It's not a hard job and easy to learn. Management actually cares for you and your advancement in the company. My favorite part of the job is working with my coworkers.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Pay not so great
Easy start for industrial supply
Sales and Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHSeptember 13, 2018
The manager at the Mount Vernon, OH location is probably the best manager I have had and will ever work with, to be honest.

There is a soft competition with other entry level employees to become full-on sales representatives. Push to become better than just part time, and Fastenal will deliver when the situation is right.

The front store area is where the public can experience Fastenal, but the real potential and money is with industrial contracts and becoming a rep for Fastenal in the local industrial market.

Hustle and push to install the Fastenal industrial vending machines in the local area and get the commission as you grow your personal sales goals.

Fastenal is closed on Saturday and Sunday so that was always nice.
0730-1700 work days no matter what.
Pros
understanding and potential for sales rep growth
Cons
non-industrial customers treating Fastenal as local mom-pop hardware store
Bizarrely mean management
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 13, 2018
I used to lead 31 Soldiers on missions to break up ambushes and look for improvised explosive devices in Afghanistan. I literally had to lead men into ambushes to break up the ambush. People die in situations like that. And I never, ever, talked down to my people or treated them poorly. Not even once.

Fastenal in the town I worked in has incredibly toxic, hostile, pedantic, small-minded, cruel, rude, leadership. Combined with the pay, you would genuinely be better off working entry level at any big box store. I'm completely serious.
Laborer
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Watertown, SDSeptember 12, 2018
I pulled parts for buisnesses and counted them, I placed them in boxes and created labels for them to be shipped off to the correct company. It was relaxed and flexible
Pros
Flexible hours
Great stepping stone
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 10, 2018
This company is a great opportunity for someone to learn how to run a business. Very young employee base with lots of advancement opportunities. Pay scale is pretty low.
Great job
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
One of the best companies I worked for, besides the lack of management and lack of training! Very fast paced job that promotes from within the company
Pros
Great company with great pay
Cons
Always short staffed
Part Time Work
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Thief River Falls, MNSeptember 10, 2018
I work part time and did various jobs. Working there was fun but there is a lot of products to get familiar with. So dealing with customers sometimes was tough because different trades had different names for the same item.
Lack of planning regarding hours
Indoor sales (Former Employee) –  Black River Falls, WISeptember 10, 2018
Hours get cut each season end, yet upon losing a full-time outdoor sales rep due to random testing, still unwilling to give back hours taken from indoor support staff.
Pay could be much better
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  East Wenatchee, WASeptember 8, 2018
After working to organize the branch and achieving targets set and hitting a year anniversary, I was not reviewed. I approached upper management for a possible increase in salary, I was told there would be no salary increases for the next three years. I accepted a position with a considerable increase in salary and turned in my notice shortly after. Needless to say, I was not impressed with them.
Pros
Decent work environment and a great branch manager
Cons
Very little support from regional management
Fastenal - Solid place to work
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 8, 2018
Very happy to have experienced their culture. You can learn a lot and accomplish a lot. Basically its like running your own business and you can earn what you put in.
Pros
Freedom, experience, great co-workers
Cons
Compensation, challenging sales goals
low pay
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pocomoke City, MDSeptember 8, 2018
Consistently pushing for more and more. Each month is a scramble to reach goal and then the next month its the same thing all over again. There is no end.
Fast paced environment
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE / ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOSeptember 8, 2018
Learn the customers, be available to them, and and adapt to their needs if you want to be successful. You will be multitasking between your customers and store operations.
Good place to start your career...
Finance (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILSeptember 5, 2018
If you're young, fresh out of college, Fastenal is excellent and teaching nearly anyone how to run a successful business, how to sell, and how to build a relationship with clients.

Poor pay, long hours, and the constant pressure to grow leads to burnout. Sales and Management staff was a revolving door.
Pros
Good learning opportunity for those starting a career
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Terrible
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 4, 2018
Its a terrible place to work. There are way better jobs out there that will treat you better and provide better work life balance. If you value your happiness and sanity do not work for this company.
Turned out to not be what it seemed.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Talladega, ALSeptember 4, 2018
Started as a great job under one DM, the DM changed and everything was a nightmare. I was fired on the spot for 'poor performance' with no relavent reason why.
Pros
Good for fresh grads to get experience.
Cons
Everything.
Depends on wear you work and who you know
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
Fastenal has been in my family my entire life and it has its pros and cons. It is not the company it once was and has become appallingly mis-managed. The tone and how your job will go completely depends on the store you are hired into, there are few set guidlines and managers are allowed to do as they want with their branch. Some are good some are terrible.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
horrible mis-management