Father Joe's Villages Employee Reviews

Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 2, 2018
Volunteering in the kitchen at Father Joe's has allowed me to see people from all walks of life. It has emphasized the fact that everyone deserves to be treated with respect. I have also learned food handling skills and how to work well with others.
Employee's were committed to their jobs.
Program Manager I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2018
A good place to get experience working with helping the homeless; which was a rewarding job.
Managment over all is supportive to their employee's. When I left managment was making some positive changes with the structure of the company which included better pay and benefits.
Pros
Employee commitment and involvement.
Cons
Low wages and basic benefits.
n/a
Residential Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2017
Accomplish intake procedures of new clients entering the shelter. Distribution of supplies, supervision of client activities, and providing proper information on agency services and making appropriate referrals to help meet client's needs.
Father Joe's Villages mission is admirable
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2017
Never a dull moment. This is an organization that is committed to end homelessness in San Diego. I wish they could commit to their employees with competitive wages
Pros
Free meals, generous PTO, medical, dental and vision
Cons
Limited cash flow, no competitive salaries
Relax
Clerk III/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2017
Customer service and Clerk III Title Clerk
answering phone calls and making sure title's were good to go for auction. Learn how to do DMV paperwork and what is profit organization is.
Management was really good
Just a topical day at work no hard part.
Helping people with customer service and also enjoyed going to
the DMV to get title's cleared for auction.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
The people that use to work there are no longer there so no cons.
Father zjoe's is a great place to work and help the homeless population
Residential Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2017
Over all it's a great place to work especially if you like working with those I need. Great benefit package.. Hardest part of the job was performing random UA's.
Pros
it's a great place to work.
Cons
Upper management
Poor compensation and high turn over
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2017
I like the mission of Father Joe's Villages, and I started off with a great team.

Through advancement and turnover, I started with a new team and a new supervisor I didn't get along with. They promoted the supervisor despite several warning signs. The pay is extremely poor. If they have better pay for their employees, their turnover would not be nearly as high.

Some people seem to really enjoy working here, but it's not for me.
Pros
Believes in their mission, cares for homeless
Cons
Terrible pay, High turnover, Constant change of policy
Doing great things for the community
Staff (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2017
Father Joe's is always at the cutting edge of supporting the homeless. You know that your work makes a difference in the community. I invite others to join
Pros
Employee benefits are good
Cons
no 401k match
Overworked under paid
Tenant services/ Multiple program Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2017
Overworked and under paid. I really did not enjoy my time working for father joes. They give their employees an unrealistic work load for a very low pay rate.
Multi-faceted experiences
Volunteer Laborer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2016
..An animated often fast paced environment. Open to the concept of taking the initiative to work wherever help is most required. Get to learn different nuances of food preparation and storage. Learn 'get along' skills.
Pros
Smooth efficiencies .. many pleasant people
Cons
Occassionaly work is 'too' physically demanding.. and breaks are skipped.
Father Joes
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2016
Working for father joes I experience poor management, and an unorganized work environment. I would recommend anyone looking for a job to look elsewhere.
Pros
helping the homeless
Cons
poor management, unorganized, favoritism
Run like a corporation. When you have seniority, you are vunerable for termination.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJune 25, 2015
The culture of caring for staff has disappeared with the retirement of Father Joe. The executive staff and boards of the various programs are more concerned with finances than with the well-being of their talented and dedicated staff members. FJV's is a good place to start a career in human services because training opportunities abound, but not a secure place in which to build a career. My advice to current and prospective employees is to plan your departure from the beginning of your employment. This way, it is under your control, and not under the control of management.
Pros
Training
Cons
Capricious about justifications for terminations
High Turnover
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 15, 2015
On a day to day basis I enjoyed working at Father Joe's. I worked with a capable team and it was a cohesive environment. There was a lot of changes within the organization which was at times difficult but we were usually given a period of time with which to adjust to changes. One of the things I like about the organization is the opportunity to learn new skills. We were frequently being trained on how to better serve the population we were working with. I enjoyed working with the clients but at times it was difficult because of the circumstances the homeless population face.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short lunches
Volunteer
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2013
Volunteer work. Dealt with a lot of homeless. I was an experience I would not mind doing again.