FDA

United States3 reviews

3.9Pay & Benefits

FDA insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

I had a very positive experience

It was a great place to work and but not all my co-workers had the same experience. Experience greatly varied based on location and supervisor. There's a reason most employees do not leave this job, it can be truly great.

Pros

Benefits and pay

Not a bad place to work

Been working for FDA as a food inspector for almost 8 years. I have had way worse jobs. But it seems like I do a lot of detailed work such as collecting evidence, writing affidavits, writing long inspection reports with exhibits for not much satisfaction in return. The FDA rarely takes any action and may at the most just have a regulatory meeting with a violative food manufacturer. I had spent a long time working on a case with my compliance officer and it went off to "the center" for a final decision. They sat on it for a year and nothing happened to the very violative company I inspected because the FDA admitted they took too long to make a decision. That is not looking out for public health and part of the violation was a product for consumption by children. Also, they often hire clueless inspectors that they do not get rid of. Probationary period is not enforced here, then you are stuck training and working with fellow idiots forever. I am currently looking to work for a different government agency.

Pros

Flexible time off and foreign travel to other countries to do inspections

Cons

Unqualified management and coworkers, not a lot of science-based knowledge or training in the field work

Bad Management

Good place to start your career and gain free trainings. You be will be able to travel internationally. Tons of documentation and writing long reports. 75% travel.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at FDA?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at FDA.
Powered byComparably