FDM Group Employee Reviews

Would NOT recommend for anyone who has talent.
DevOps Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 17, 2019
I find it quite funny after being a fresh grad student in CS. That they fired me based off of one presentation. Very sketchy management. Funny thing how I was the one who got fired first based off my presentation on the dumbest topic ever, my redid resume, and another tech writing when most my class were disabled vets who didn't know how to code, people who could barely speak, and people with no coding experience in their life. Loudest nonsense work environment I have ever been in. Like hello!!! Fake it to make here. Manager was very hostile and rude. For any real talent, you are wasting your time here, I promise you. Funny thing, I got a call from the main office in New York after they fired me offering me an interview thinking I was still in the program. But I will say the recruiters and teachers were quite personable and nice. Do I hear sketch?

Con's:
Management, Cutthroat, Silly co-worker who have no idea what they are doing.
Pro:
Decent location
Use as Last Resort
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 3, 2019
I have worked in the US Academy and would not recommend unless you're desperate to enter the IT field. Account Managers treat the trainees as products and managers pressure trainees to fulfill roles that the trainee may not be interested in. This is a big deal considering that contracts are 2 years long. Job placement is also extremely random and little to no transparency on how the process works. Some trainers have little IT background trying to teach technical courses and this shows. Little things here and there such as grammatical/spelling errors in material and inconsistencies throughout the company.
They serve their purpose
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 1, 2019
FDM is a great opportunity for people trying to break into the workforce with a non-traditional background. During my time there I was treated as a commodity and my wishes were rarely heeded. I am thankful for the role it lead to but in and of itself it was a hassle.
Learned a lot
IT Consultant for Data Analytics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2018
Training from 9-5, half hour break at 11 and 3. Lunch Break is 1 hour.
Learned UNIX, SQL, Java Object Oriented Programming, HTML Web Design.
Enjoyed adding to skillset
Horrible
IT Project Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2018
Stay away from this place. It is a ploy to trap and exploit young professionals and new graduates. They make you sign a two-year contract and take a huge cut of your pay while you border the poverty line.They treat you with the utmost disrespect and use scare tactics to keep you "in line"
Avoid at all costs
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
The FDM Group is a sham of a company. They hire quite literally anyone on the condition that you have a stringent contract that locks you in with threat of extreme monetary punishment if you want out. All this while underpaying you greatly while they rake in significant amounts of overhead.

On top of this, the conditions you are expected to live in during training are absolutely deplorable. The NY office forces you to live, with another person, in a small room with two single beds, no more than 10 feet of usable floor space, a single closet with a single rack the is only about 3 feet long (that you must use for both of your professional attire including suits, dress shirts, dress pants, belts, and ties). The place you are staying also has communal bathrooms that are expected to be shared between you and the other 50-some people on the same floor as you. There are no extra areas for you to talk or hang out with anyone in the building, the only available rooms are completely barren of any furniture. This means that there is not a single chair anywhere in the entire building. Anytime you spend there will either be spent on the floor or on your bed.

To make matters worse, all expenses while you are living in this hovel are completely on you. You are not supplied with food, transportation, or anything other than your closet-sized room that you must share with another person. It all comes out of the very meager payment you make while you are training. This includes the roughly $110 a month you must spend on a pass to take the subway to and from the office on Wall Street. That's
  more... right, you have to pay for a pass so that you can walk and take a crowded subway train to get to the office you will be training in, because not only is the office for the company in one of the most expensive parts of the city, where you are staying is also nowhere near it. As if that's not enough, you're expected to wear full formal attire, that's a suit, suit pants, belt, and tie every day. This is said to be for in the event a company wants to do a spontaneous interview in FDM's office. In the months I was there, this NEVER happened. To anyone.

The training itself is a mixed bag. Some of the trainers are very good teachers. However, many of them and other portions of the staff leave much to be desired, as well as their way of correcting behavior. The company's way of correcting a mistake is to utterly humiliate its employees and shame them in front of other people being trained. Several times I witnessed someone else be more or less verbally abused because they went to the bathroom without locking their computer.

Do not touch this company with a 10 foot pole if you value yourself, you can and will find somewhere better.
Pros
None.
Cons
Horrible staff, horrible living conditions, horrible compensation, horrible ETHICS.
Company review
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
Focus of management is to get you placed with a client. The client can terminate at any time, as well as the company, for any reason. Pay is not consistent with standards. The expectation is a full-time position after contract is expired, but this is not always the case, which makes this unreliable as an entry-level opportunity.
It has great training programs.
Software Engineering Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
FDM supplies a great training opportunity for new grads. They put you in a hotel in New York and help you find a job. The pay is not very good though.
Pros
Hotel accomodations for length of training.
Cons
Low end salary for new tech grads.
Training Company
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
This company offers paid, intense training in IT Skills such as MS Excel, Unix, Project Mgmt, and Business Administration. They then try to place you with clients, often in financial services.
Pros
Paid training, professional environment, some treats
Cons
Dress code, no guarantee of being placed
Great training on Wall St
Java Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
Received a top of the line training course in Java, SQL, and full stack development for the financial industry. Offices are on Wall Street in Manhattan, New York so you're right in the heart of the financial sector. The Java course runs at a grueling pace but it is certainly manageable.
Indentured servitude
Instructor / QA Test Lead Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
Train you to be a lackey for as long as you are willing, two year minimum. Would not ever recommend this to anyone. Will send you where they need you, not where you want to be.
Learned a lot but felt like a piece of meat
PMO/ITSM Consulting Trainee (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 29, 2018
Training covers a lot of areas and moves quickly, but account managers are difficult to deal with. A few are great but others just care about their commissions
Completely corrupt and cutthroat
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2018
I have worked in some hard places in my time but this was just wrong. Sacrificed almost everything to go through tough testing and training and drilling, just not get placed for companies I qualified for them they breached their own contract just to fire a most of us left over because we refunded to work beyond the area we chose.
Fun Environment with Rewarding Work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
Positive place to work, however the compensation leaves much to be desired. Young environment, with plenty of opportunities to advance your career, however the compensation simply does not allow for long term advancement.
Great for those beginning in the Professional IT world
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
Builds skills in aspects of IT that include Microsoft office, SQL, Unix, Project Management, Business Analysis, Data Analysis, Software Development. Very stressful environment.
There's a trade-off
Java Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
Pros:
1) Trainings are very beneficial. You will be exposed to materials that will help you in a long way (i.e. popular development frameworks, various profession development resources like PluralSight, Safaribooksonline, etc)

2) Most of the consultants are very friendly and encouraging towards each other.

3) Health insurance is solid. There's also 401k now.

Cons:
1) Compensation is way below market norm, but it's a compromise you make by having very great trainings upfront.

2) There's a chance that your consultant contract may terminate early with the client company due to various reasons that has nothing to do with your personal performance (i.e. budget, legal issues, etc). Sometimes they handle your transition from one client company to the next well, but other times not so much.

3) Your experience here hinges on which account manager you ended up working with.
Pros
Good trainings that are beneficial for fresh grads without too much practical experiences
Cons
Low salary
A family business that continues to grow
N/A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2017
I have worked at FDM for several years and very much enjoy working here. Even though it has grown rapidly, it has kept that family culture and the CEO still makes an effort to get to know the people. The atmosphere is young, fun and dynamic. Everyone works very hard but also socializes and builds robust relationships with their colleagues. Diversity is a big part of FDM and inclusivity is one of the company values. The best thing about FDM in my opinion is the people and the mission we are all on to continue launching careers for thousands of people around the world.
Pros
Great people, annual boat parties, regular charity drives, more PTO than usual, understanding management, good healthcare benefits and pizza welcome gatherings
It is a decent organization if they fixed their training model
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 21, 2017
FDM Group is a good organization as they provide essential skills that are essential for IT roles in financial industries. However, for me the pacing of some of the courses were significantly difficult as I hadn't had previous exposure to these concepts. When viewing similar material, the course ranges for 3 to 5 weeks. I understand that FDM wants to get trainees to clients but the model of cramming all the information in one to two week intervals is unusual in my opinion. Especially for individuals who do not have any prior knowledge. They pay that they offer once placed is significantly lower than what the pay is in the market. There appears to be disconnection between account managers and some trainees due to location and availability. The culture at FDM is to dress professionally consistently to understand the professional work environment. That is a good policy but many corporations and organizations dress code is business casual. My co-workers at FDM were great and made the experience wonderful. There were some trainers that were nice and want people to succeed but some didn't really teach.
Pros
paid training, awesome coworkers
Cons
speed of training, some trainers, some of the material, account manager disconnect, bad consultant pay
It's ok
Java Developer, Software Development (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2017
The environment of fdm group office is very good also the trainers' there are good. But the management there is poor to be honest. Also it may be good for you to start but you deserve better if you want to be a developer.
Foot in the door
IT Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
FDM is a good place to start if you lack the experience required to land an ideal position upon college graduation. The contract you have to sign with the company is for 2 years which allows one to gain valuable experience with top-tiered clients. However, should you want out of the contract, there are many stipulations and factors that go into that.
Pros
Top tiered clients, Opportunity with lack of experience, Benefits, Foot in the door, Incredible networking opportunities
Cons
Low pay, 2 year contract, contract fees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDM Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

FDM Group Reviews by Location