FedEx Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,695 reviews matching the search See all 1,985 reviews
Easy job but seniority sucks.
Courier (Current Employee) –  Moonachie, NJDecember 23, 2018
Job is easy. Can be stressful at times especially around PEAK time (holiday) but that’s when you can capitalize on hours. Been with company almost 2 months and I find nothing difficult about my role as a courier. Management is management. Ups and downs but end of the day it’s a job. If you know how to manage your time and can deal with pressure then you will be fine. If you have a family and plan on taking vacation during the summer GOOD LUCK. Company is based off seniority and most of the employees have been with FedEx over 20 years. Job advancement same thing goes by seniority. Only disadvantage with the company. Management apperciates hard workers regardless what you hear. If management can benefit off of you, you can benefit on the hours. Just show up, do your job and you will be noticed. Growth? Plenty of opportunities with FedEx, just connect with management.
Pros
Pay, benefits, hours
Cons
Seniority
Cut throat abusive environment
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Herndon VirginiaJanuary 10, 2019
Total lack of communication from top down. Refusing to give hours or work without explanation under threat of suspension for insubordination. Management was abusive to down right degrading. Cut throat attitude in a hostile environment. Favoritsm and racism abound here. I was even physically assaulted by two separate managers when I was terminated following suspension only for insubordination after working here three years accident free with an employee of the month award. Gang stalking tactics were also used by management to abuse harass and control people. Extremely unsafe environment stay away at all costs.
Pros
Frequent pay raises and good benefits.
Cons
Everything else
Frustrating
FedEx Courier (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 10, 2018
There is a massive disconnect company-wide. Recently only a select few stations received a raise within a certain radius of our airport station, while those outside of that radius are expected to perform at the same level with less pay. We do not have enough trucks at any given time. UPS offers higher hourly wages. Vacation time must be bid on according to seniority. Favoritism runs rampant among management. Not accommodating to needs for personal time. Disciplinary action for being even one minute late one time will be taken. Not filling up at a specific gas station will get you counseled. Delivering packages late, even if planes and trucks are late (things out of your control), is massively problematic and stressful.
high pressure rushed environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 24, 2018
high pressure very fast paced the company has made many changes that benefit the company not the employees once a very positive place to work now it is very cut throat.benefits have been reduced. productivity demands raised most employees must look out for themselves little team work anymore. employees generally running scared with the many demands and unforgiving policies toward the employee. the turn over rate is very high. you must be employed many many years to achieve high wages. raises come very gradually.
Pros
develop very proactive habits. drug free atmosphere
Cons
VERY demanding VERY slow raises unyielding high pressure environment!!!
Opportunity for advancement / terrible work life balance.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2018
If you are willing to give up your life there is opportunity for advancement into management. The hours and stress are unreal. The pay is decent until you realize you are working 60+ hours per week and are also on call. There is extreme pressure on entry level management to provide unrealistic numbers to upper management while also being subjected to pressure from their employees via a secret survey. The health benefits are only standard in my opinion nothing special. On the plus side the company offers a pension and nice 401K through Vanguard.
Pros
Pension, decent pay.
Cons
Work life balance.
It's a job at least.
Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 5, 2018
I worked as a handler for 4 months before I found a better job. Safe to say I would only recommend this job to people who are physically fit, unless you have some education or experience that can land you in a higher up position. Everyone hired at Fedex will start at the grunt labor force and you will work 4-5 hours continually without a single break. You will lift large freight that can weigh more than 50 pounds. You're suppose to ask for help for large package but management doesn't care. If you can rough it out for a year you can promote to better positions like truck driver or ramp agent who don't have worry about standing for 5 hours straight lifting large boxes. I came home too tired every day and it affected my other job as stay at home data entry clerk. I needed the health benefits from fedex, but it's not worth the sore muscles in the end.
Pros
It's work that pays better than fast food
Cons
extremely tough on your body unless you're peak physical condition
Very poor management, and very disorganized.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 26, 2018
You’re not givin the hours you applied for, therefore they lie to you about your hours. You actually work less than what you apply for. If you get injured, you better go to your own doctor, because they don’t do anything about it (I know based on personal experience). Extremely poor management. My manager would disappear the whole day, and suddenly reappear at the end of the day to make sure no one leaves. In an nutshell, this place is very disorganized with poor management, and no hope to move up in the company.
Pros
Good benefits for part time.
Cons
Disorganized. Poor management. Dangerous work environment. Very high stress
Hard, consistent, and laborious
Dangerous Goods Agent (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 8, 2018
If you like labor, then this job is for you! As a dangerous goods agent at FedEx, I still worked extremely hard each and every day I clocked in. A typical day was immediately working in a fast-paced sort environment, then waiting for a truck or trunk aircraft to be offloaded (which is also a large piece of the operation), then the sort continuing for hours. Our managers did their best, were very flexible, and the benefits were great. The hourly pay was still terrible; you can move your way up but if you want to be capped at 30 dollars / hour the rest of your life, and have to work there 20 years to get to that point, then this job is for you! I recommend working part time; doing this job full time can be very tough on the body.
Benefits
Cons
No breaks, always working, little socializing
Good for Benefits
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 12, 2018
The work is like anything you would suspect from a warehouse. Unload and load cargo from trailers. Scan different cases with bar codes and make sure they get to their destination. Part time work means you might not get any hours here except for peak season during Christmas time. The work is mindlessly easy for regular associates but the moment they give you a radio your gonna have to make your own judgement calls. Advancement can take a while if your trying to move up. The people who have been their longest usually take priority over any new people.Breaks dont exist here. You work until all the trucks are finished. Health dental and vision are viable at the start.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Poor management
Courier (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
It’s simple- the management at Fedex MKCA is horrible. The managers have no idea how to run the station. Most of the couriers know how to run it better than the managers. If you try to give suggestions you will get shut down right away. We are give 8 sick days to use but if you call in sick, the managers will write you up. There is no such thing as steady hours here. I’ve had my start time changed way too many times and it makes it hard for me to plan things outside of work. If you’re going to survive here you will need to be able to stand up for yourself and not be afraid to to management they cannot disrespect you. Also, you must standup for yourself against dispatch as well. Dispatch will try and walk all over you and they think that they can just make you do any stop that they put on your route. This is not true and I’ve asked HR about it.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Dispatch
Years ago it was great
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
Busy and stressful. Management doesn't care about you unless you're doing poorly, then they load that persons work onto us employees that are consistently above the average. Causing us to get injured and burned out. It is a workplace that sets you up to fail. Benefits are reduced every year to where, it's no longer worth it to kill yourself for the company. Kiss any and all holidays Good-Bye. After 21 years, I had still not reached top pay scale....and THAT was ridiculous.
Pros
Active work environment
Cons
Poor management that sets employees up for failure
The fast pace and team effort throughout the organization has enhanced learned skills and allowed growth in weak areas.
International Data Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaNovember 14, 2018
FedEx Express is a fast-paced and fun place to grow. It is an option and open field to anyone interested in becoming their best. FedEx compensation is not competitive unless incumbent desires it to be so. Fedex affords individuals to move at their own pace and avails employees to work outside the box if they so desire. However, the requirements and processes are clear and must be followed.
Pros
Appreciation for jobs well done.
Cons
Unique human resources availability
FedEx Express typical day
Package Handler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2019
A bus picks everyone up from the employee lot and takes them to the scanning area. No knives or metal can pass through the scanner. I hop on a bus to get to my work area. I love my co-workers and we do the same things each evening but we move to a different area. FedEx will not make me rich, but FedEx is fair and I have calculated that the insurance I now have will save me $17,000.00 a year. I work Monday through Thursday from Midnight until 5 am. The night hours are tough, but doable. I plan to keep this job as long as I can with my other employment, as long as my performance stays sharp.
Pros
Great Benefits!!
Cons
Tough hours
I wouldn't come back to this company. Worst work-environment I have ever experienced.
Material Handler, Ramp Agent, and FT Courier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2018
They will reward hard workers with additional work and lazy workers will continue to be ignored. Management is under so much pressure from upper management they can't exemplify good leadership.

The culture is not healthy and it's easily the worst work environment I have ever worked in.
upper management is disconnected from reality of the day-to-day operation and only care about profit.

It is very toxic and will continue to worsen. I was told from an trusted employee a SR. Manager told him he couldn't go to a funeral because there wasn't anyone to cover his route. When the employee said he was speaking in the funeral the SR. Manager asked the employee to speak first (implying him to hurry to get to work.)

The company only cares about profit and not service. They are aware of service failures and have the resources to correct failures but they choose not to because they don't want to spend the money.
Pros
Benefits, Career Advancement (if you want it)
Cons
Toxic work environment, lazy employees, shady management, FedEx can correct problems but they don't
Excellent company, pay and benefits.
Professional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2018
FEDEX was my dream job. I had an excellent overall experience with the company. My only reason for leaving was not being able to advance into my desired career position.

The job was relaxed but the pilots do not always approve and or accept non line holding instructors. This causes a lack of team work and the hr policies to fly the line are prohibiting instructors who have not flown in more than 2 years to do so.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Inflexible and unwritten policies for career advancement
Very professional place to work
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIAugust 24, 2018
Extremely fast paced and stressful envirement. I personally enjoyed being on the road delivering packages to different places daily. It was never boring , enjoyed meeting new people. I also enjoyed working as a team to get things done. Peak aeason was extremely hectic but thats what we did, get packages in the hands of the customers. There was a lot of management turnover during my 17 years there as a courier. There were some very good managers as well as some who should not have been min management at all. I enjyed my time there and would certainty recomend the company as a good place to work.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Very stressful, very hars on your body physically
Fast paced and stressful, without nearly as much room for growth as they initially tell you when hired.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 17, 2018
Very poor management from all across the company. Managers only want to promote their friends, there's no room to move up unless you know someone. Benefits are good but they'll do everything in their power to try and not pay, especially if you get hurt on the job. They often hire people for higher up jobs without accepting applications from within the company first.
Pros
Discounted shipping
Cons
Ununionized
great benefits, nice management
FedEx Delivery Driver/service agent (Current Employee) –  OwensboroAugust 12, 2018
Great benefits, but bad upkeep with vehicles and facility. Need better equipment. Nice manager, Gives you light duty when injured or serious illnesses occurr.
Have meals and meetings. Survey feedback from employees to management, and provide IT training
We have daily meetings, we maintain safety rules, workplace is explained to us. We work out of a small building. Several routes have to load pkg s outside in the cold and raining seasons. Need more equipment to do our jobs right. Additional carts, there is tension due to tight quarters, FedEx offers many programs to help with tensions of work and life issues.
Pros
fair pay, great benefits
Cons
need good maintenance
There is Always Good & Bad
Courier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 7, 2018
FedEx is an enormous company. Therefore I cannot give it a close and shut review. I have worked at three different stations. Chicago, South Bend, and Louisville. Chicago was the best hands down. Louisville was the worst hands down (there are two stations in Louisville, I only worked at one). So you see, I can't say it's great or horrible as a whole. It depends on the overall management of where you are stationed which is different at every single location.
Pros
Great Benefits, Vacation, paid sick days, and paid days off
Cons
Either over worked or under worked (no just right), The company also expects your life to revolve around them, yet when you are going through hardships due to lack of hours, they could care less.
FedEx varies at each location
Dangerous Goods Agent (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 28, 2018
I worked specifically for FedEx Express, at the Flint and Maui locations. Each location comes with its own pros/cons. Flint location had great hours to work, good compensation, interesting/engaging, thoughtful manager, but the employee turnover was horrible. Maui had amazing coworkers, good compensation, but the hours there were almost unbearable. Overall FedEx as a whole treats their workers with respect, offers amazing benefits, and I felt like they cared about my future with them.
Pros
good compensation, tuition reimbursement, good culture
Cons
sometimes insane hours, sometimes high employee turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FedEx Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight