FedEx Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,701 reviews matching the search See all 1,992 reviews
Easy job but seniority sucks.
Courier (Current Employee) –  Moonachie, NJDecember 23, 2018
Job is easy. Can be stressful at times especially around PEAK time (holiday) but that’s when you can capitalize on hours. Been with company almost 2 months and I find nothing difficult about my role as a courier. Management is management. Ups and downs but end of the day it’s a job. If you know how to manage your time and can deal with pressure then you will be fine. If you have a family and plan on taking vacation during the summer GOOD LUCK. Company is based off seniority and most of the employees have been with FedEx over 20 years. Job advancement same thing goes by seniority. Only disadvantage with the company. Management apperciates hard workers regardless what you hear. If management can benefit off of you, you can benefit on the hours. Just show up, do your job and you will be noticed. Growth? Plenty of opportunities with FedEx, just connect with management.
Pros
Pay, benefits, hours
Cons
Seniority
Cut throat abusive environment
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Herndon VirginiaJanuary 10, 2019
Total lack of communication from top down. Refusing to give hours or work without explanation under threat of suspension for insubordination. Management was abusive to down right degrading. Cut throat attitude in a hostile environment. Favoritsm and racism abound here. I was even physically assaulted by two separate managers when I was terminated following suspension only for insubordination after working here three years accident free with an employee of the month award. Gang stalking tactics were also used by management to abuse harass and control people. Extremely unsafe environment stay away at all costs.
Pros
Frequent pay raises and good benefits.
Cons
Everything else
Opportunity for advancement / terrible work life balance.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2018
If you are willing to give up your life there is opportunity for advancement into management. The hours and stress are unreal. The pay is decent until you realize you are working 60+ hours per week and are also on call. There is extreme pressure on entry level management to provide unrealistic numbers to upper management while also being subjected to pressure from their employees via a secret survey. The health benefits are only standard in my opinion nothing special. On the plus side the company offers a pension and nice 401K through Vanguard.
Pros
Pension, decent pay.
Cons
Work life balance.
Frustrating
FedEx Courier (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 10, 2018
There is a massive disconnect company-wide. Recently only a select few stations received a raise within a certain radius of our airport station, while those outside of that radius are expected to perform at the same level with less pay. We do not have enough trucks at any given time. UPS offers higher hourly wages. Vacation time must be bid on according to seniority. Favoritism runs rampant among management. Not accommodating to needs for personal time. Disciplinary action for being even one minute late one time will be taken. Not filling up at a specific gas station will get you counseled. Delivering packages late, even if planes and trucks are late (things out of your control), is massively problematic and stressful.
I wouldn't come back to this company. Worst work-environment I have ever experienced.
Material Handler, Ramp Agent, and FT Courier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2018
They will reward hard workers with additional work and lazy workers will continue to be ignored. Management is under so much pressure from upper management they can't exemplify good leadership.

The culture is not healthy and it's easily the worst work environment I have ever worked in.
upper management is disconnected from reality of the day-to-day operation and only care about profit.

It is very toxic and will continue to worsen. I was told from an trusted employee a SR. Manager told him he couldn't go to a funeral because there wasn't anyone to cover his route. When the employee said he was speaking in the funeral the SR. Manager asked the employee to speak first (implying him to hurry to get to work.)

The company only cares about profit and not service. They are aware of service failures and have the resources to correct failures but they choose not to because they don't want to spend the money.
Pros
Benefits, Career Advancement (if you want it)
Cons
Toxic work environment, lazy employees, shady management, FedEx can correct problems but they don't
high pressure rushed environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 24, 2018
high pressure very fast paced the company has made many changes that benefit the company not the employees once a very positive place to work now it is very cut throat.benefits have been reduced. productivity demands raised most employees must look out for themselves little team work anymore. employees generally running scared with the many demands and unforgiving policies toward the employee. the turn over rate is very high. you must be employed many many years to achieve high wages. raises come very gradually.
Pros
develop very proactive habits. drug free atmosphere
Cons
VERY demanding VERY slow raises unyielding high pressure environment!!!
It's a job at least.
Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 5, 2018
I worked as a handler for 4 months before I found a better job. Safe to say I would only recommend this job to people who are physically fit, unless you have some education or experience that can land you in a higher up position. Everyone hired at Fedex will start at the grunt labor force and you will work 4-5 hours continually without a single break. You will lift large freight that can weigh more than 50 pounds. You're suppose to ask for help for large package but management doesn't care. If you can rough it out for a year you can promote to better positions like truck driver or ramp agent who don't have worry about standing for 5 hours straight lifting large boxes. I came home too tired every day and it affected my other job as stay at home data entry clerk. I needed the health benefits from fedex, but it's not worth the sore muscles in the end.
Pros
It's work that pays better than fast food
Cons
extremely tough on your body unless you're peak physical condition
Very poor management, and very disorganized.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 26, 2018
You’re not givin the hours you applied for, therefore they lie to you about your hours. You actually work less than what you apply for. If you get injured, you better go to your own doctor, because they don’t do anything about it (I know based on personal experience). Extremely poor management. My manager would disappear the whole day, and suddenly reappear at the end of the day to make sure no one leaves. In an nutshell, this place is very disorganized with poor management, and no hope to move up in the company.
Pros
Good benefits for part time.
Cons
Disorganized. Poor management. Dangerous work environment. Very high stress
Challenging, self rewarding, fast paced, reliable
DOT Courier (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 26, 2018
Best benefits hands down, mostly good management, must be willing to work hard, job is physically challenging and sometimes stressful depending on workload, must be flexible, dependable, team player, able to work in all weather, long periods of physical work, this job is not for everyone there is no in between you either absolutely love it like me, or you hate it! If you are willing to work hard and dependable the potential for growth is limitless.
Pros
Your daily success mostly depends on you alone, great benefits, great company, always available hours to pickup or cover, not stuck in a building or one place all day, no micromanaging, get to interact with customers regularly, very decent pay, get to challenge and push yourself daily
Cons
Work in heat/cold, rain/sun, fast paced sometimes stressful environment, long hours during peak season, promotions are done on a seniority basis instead of job performance, raises are generally across the board and not based on work performance, heavy lifting, very physically demanding job.
The fast pace and team effort throughout the organization has enhanced learned skills and allowed growth in weak areas.
International Data Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaNovember 14, 2018
FedEx Express is a fast-paced and fun place to grow. It is an option and open field to anyone interested in becoming their best. FedEx compensation is not competitive unless incumbent desires it to be so. Fedex affords individuals to move at their own pace and avails employees to work outside the box if they so desire. However, the requirements and processes are clear and must be followed.
Pros
Appreciation for jobs well done.
Cons
Unique human resources availability
Good for Benefits
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 12, 2018
The work is like anything you would suspect from a warehouse. Unload and load cargo from trailers. Scan different cases with bar codes and make sure they get to their destination. Part time work means you might not get any hours here except for peak season during Christmas time. The work is mindlessly easy for regular associates but the moment they give you a radio your gonna have to make your own judgement calls. Advancement can take a while if your trying to move up. The people who have been their longest usually take priority over any new people.Breaks dont exist here. You work until all the trucks are finished. Health dental and vision are viable at the start.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Years ago it was great
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
Busy and stressful. Management doesn't care about you unless you're doing poorly, then they load that persons work onto us employees that are consistently above the average. Causing us to get injured and burned out. It is a workplace that sets you up to fail. Benefits are reduced every year to where, it's no longer worth it to kill yourself for the company. Kiss any and all holidays Good-Bye. After 21 years, I had still not reached top pay scale....and THAT was ridiculous.
Pros
Active work environment
Cons
Poor management that sets employees up for failure
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 21, 2018
Every Fedex location operates differently, but the atmosphere is great. Fast paced and lots of physical labor. Management is great and you feel respected by them. There's plenty of opportunities to move up within the company. Benefits are amazing and they help pay for school. I'd love to make a career out of Fedex. Those you work with become part of your family. Fedex is one giant family.
Know what you are getting into before signing up
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAJanuary 2, 2019
There is no work life balance. Good luck getting a day off, leaving early for a doctors appointment, leaving early for anything. Trying to get out early when your wife is in labor is extremely hard. It should just be work leave out the life balance. Horrible in this area horrible.
compensation is great if you are at top rate which is about $30-$31/hr, but first starting out expect around $17.81-$18.00/hr and the work is not work top pay and not worth the start pay.
Benefits horrible high deductible
Job Security- you have no job security unless they favor you and think you are making management look good because you are busting your butt. You cannot perform at the level they want you to. Expectation are so high they are unattainable. 100% no lower only higher.
Management-Horrible too high expectations- unreasonable- favoritism-cannot handle stressful situations and that is all they deal with- often stress is taken out on employees sometimes specfic employees they just do not like or they want revenge on because the employee inconvenienced them the day before. Ignorant and no education. The education level is below College. Zero managers had a Bachelors Degree. Horrible education come on get a Bachelors Degree.
Culture- Cut throat- everyone wants you to do bad- everyone wants your job- management picks on everyone- everyone makes fun of everyone- no respect- no privacy- lots of gossip- no ideal for anyone. Conflict every day- bad language- no ethics- no morals- ect.
Pros
Listed Above
Cons
Listed Above
Poor management
Courier (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
It’s simple- the management at Fedex MKCA is horrible. The managers have no idea how to run the station. Most of the couriers know how to run it better than the managers. If you try to give suggestions you will get shut down right away. We are give 8 sick days to use but if you call in sick, the managers will write you up. There is no such thing as steady hours here. I’ve had my start time changed way too many times and it makes it hard for me to plan things outside of work. If you’re going to survive here you will need to be able to stand up for yourself and not be afraid to to management they cannot disrespect you. Also, you must standup for yourself against dispatch as well. Dispatch will try and walk all over you and they think that they can just make you do any stop that they put on your route. This is not true and I’ve asked HR about it.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Dispatch
Liability
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 2, 2018
They say hard work pays off ? No it doesnt for these guys. You do too good they will throw more stops, do things slow you get written up, and complain a lot they will condemn you. No wonder why fedex has such a high turnover rate. Once all the veteran employees leave or retire how are they going to keep the new employees that come in ? All I tell people is dont become full time otherwise your a slave to them. Stay as a part time courier. Go with UPS or something that has union you work harder but the pay is a whole a lot better. $19 a hour with fedex vs $23 a hour with ups. What I hear from ups at least your in one area vs 4-5 areas with fedex express. I wouldn't mind coming back but I'm in the no hire lost for speaking my mind. HR and management are a joke. STAY AWAY from Full time positions best of staying with part time with 25 hours then 40+ hours and picking up other people slack hours.
Pros
Coworkers ( couriers ) and customers
FedEx Ramp transport driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 15, 2019
good company to work for. lots of room for career growth. excellent training. Management was okay my time working for federal express. workplace culture, everybody got along, friendly.
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
No ot
Excellent company, pay and benefits.
Professional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2018
FEDEX was my dream job. I had an excellent overall experience with the company. My only reason for leaving was not being able to advance into my desired career position.

The job was relaxed but the pilots do not always approve and or accept non line holding instructors. This causes a lack of team work and the hr policies to fly the line are prohibiting instructors who have not flown in more than 2 years to do so.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Inflexible and unwritten policies for career advancement
Fast paced and stressful, without nearly as much room for growth as they initially tell you when hired.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 17, 2018
Very poor management from all across the company. Managers only want to promote their friends, there's no room to move up unless you know someone. Benefits are good but they'll do everything in their power to try and not pay, especially if you get hurt on the job. They often hire people for higher up jobs without accepting applications from within the company first.
Pros
Discounted shipping
Cons
Ununionized
Fast-paced and productive
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2018
A typical day consists of a fast-paced environment that can be stressful at times. You are on a time-sensitive schedule that hardly allows for any hiccups. The goal is to service the customer with A+ satisfaction.
Pros
good pay, career advancement, good benefits, etc.
Cons
workplace culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FedEx Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight