Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Happiness rating is 79 out of 100

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Employee Reviews

United States779 reviews

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Awesome Career

Featured review

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) selected this as a representative review
It is a great place to work. A very family friendly environment with great pay & benefits. The things you experience are awesome. One day you could be in an airplane doing surveillance of a subject to an illegal narcotic trafficking organization and the next day you could be interviewing a high-profile elected official. It's not just a career, but a calling. You go home every day feeling like you’re making a difference.

Pros

The experiences you have

Cons

Mission first, not flexible about much else

Fulfilling job with hard working and dedicated peers, but you can have a negative experience if your stuck with a challenging supervisor. Decent hours but little to no flexibility for office location or telework preferences.

Pros

Mission, fulfillment Prestige Challenge

Cons

Some bad Managers Flexibility Advancement

Great service and place of business. They help you build your career and gain knowledge. They took me right out of college and helped me development my communication, writing, and public speaking skills.

Great place to diversify your skillset, but your beholden to national politics

I was given a lot of latitude to take on additional training opportunities that I felt would improve my skillset, but never the chance to take on additional duties pertaining to them. Instead those job duties and pay were given to outside contractors.

Pros

Great training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, they also pay for evacuations if your the victim of a hurricane

Cons

National Politics

Excellent Opportunities!

Excellent educational benefits, free degree tuition, past tuition bills paid off up to $60,000 if approved. Free PhD for cyber track with service obligation.

Pros

Professional environment

Cons

DC commute

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Fired for no reason but disruptive and non vaccinated

Many Issues where GS positions did absolutely nothing. Made contractors do all and then blamed them. Wokload is unmanagable. Contracts always changing and no stability. People dont care for one another. No support to those who work hard.

Cons

No remote work

Challenging and Meaningful Work

My time with the FBI is over 15 years back so things have likely changed. My unit was unique and incredibly challenging. My typical day ran from 7:30 am to 4, but there was flexibility. An onsite gym was a great benefit. I re-learned the value of writing simply and for the particular audience that read my reports.I had the opportunity to present on behalf of the unit, as well as attend trainings in other cities. My unit chief was outstanding. The hardest part of the job was the realization that we were dealing with potential life and death situations, day in, day out. The best part of the job was knowing we were making a difference in disseminating information to other bureau offices, and working with outstanding experts from other divisions.

Pros

Good training opportunities

Cons

Entry level pay was quite low

Great place to work, with an outstanding sense of accomplishing the mission.

My career with the FBI has taken me to multiple locations and has given me the opportunity to fight for those who can't fight. The FBI has given me the chance to pursue a successful Federal Law Enforcement career filled with multiple accomplishments towards public safety and justice.

Pros

Sense of accomplishing the mission to keep our citizens safe.

Cons

Difficulty keeping life-work balance.

The professionalism of a people that I was working around. Some decision could have been thought out a little more.

My overall experience with the FBI was exciting. I learned a lot of new things and met good people that were willing to help me along the way with different assignments.

Pros

Being able to step away from the work from time to time, such as leaving office to clear your head when working a difficult assignment.

Cons

Wasn't a fan of working out of a cubicle.

Amazing agency, incredible people and a great sense of purpose

I love getting up to go to work every day. The organization is well structured, provides support, training, and gives a sense of family to all its employees.

Pros

Provides a fulfilling experience serving the US population.

Cons

Traffic getting to work

Great Agency

Great agency to work for, especially in San Diego. Caring employees who want to work with the community and catch the bad guys. Despite the current state of politics, we try hard to do the right thing.

Cons

Hard to telework

Not the same

All PC these days, highly political, very left leaning, Intel & statistics driven. Focused on CYA for upper management. Lost their way. Used to be apolitical, now it's very politically biased. Sad. Most of my senior managers were ethically compromised.

Benefits

Cons

HORRIBLE management

Constant budget constraints hindered efficiency

Federal government is typically unable to spend money on the latest technology. While good about making training available, time constraints don’t allow employees to take advantage. The salaries are excellent in the IT field of the FBI.

Pros

Great benefits/retirement. Mostly good people to work with.

Cons

Frequent turnover in leadership resulting in frequent reorganization of personnel.

Exciting work environment. Plenty of opportunity to move up.

The FBI is a great organization. Focusing on upholding the U.S. Constitution. You get a great sense of accomplishment when a job is completed. You work with some amazing and incredibly educated folks.

Pros

Great Benefits, one of the few places that still has a pension and health care after retirement.

Cons

None that I see.

Excellent

Very reliable and very adapting, flexible sechdule and very family oriented and understanding, benifits are very family friendly and work well for families

Fantastic Job

Best work of my life — fantastic people and an awesome sense of mission. Work life balance is tough because of the nature of the job, but I love going to work every day.

Pros

Sense of accomplishment, advancement and opportunities to promote

Cons

24/7 availability a must

Love working here.

Mission and People make the agency all it is. I have worked in many different jobs, all under one agency. I enjoy the people and the ability to lead from where you sit at every opportunity.

Pros

The flexibility and opportunity is unparalleled.

Cons

No remote/telework due to sensitive role

It was exciting. Worked hard but it was well worth it.

Work hardVery pleasant place to work.They respected all of the employees. They helped you advance in your employment. Family emergencies were respected.

Great

Great people to be around the federal bureau of investigation is a great place to work. The enumerator jobs pays well and it’s a great thing to be able to put on your resume because it stands out.

Pros

Mileage reimbursement

Cons

Sense of professionalism, purpose, and teamwork.

Great place to work, comradery, mission, etc. Strong sense of duty, service above self. The work culture is good. Difficult to relocate unless going into management.

Pros

Good pay, benefits including work car.

Cons

Relocation difficult

No bad, it’s a great career choice

Working for the FBI was the best career choice I could have ever made. The work is rewarding and helping society is at the prime of the job. There is great personal satisfaction helping people and accomplishing goals. Pay is awesome and retirement benefits are great!

Pros

Independent investigation, you design how you want your investigation to run.

Cons

Common questions about Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Answered by current and former employees at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

4.3
4.2

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Powered byComparably

Compare Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) with

• Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?