Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Employee Reviews

Meaningful
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2019
Competitive environment and highly rewarding.

Initiative goes a very long way. You're identified by the work you do. Global opportunities if you want. Collaboration with others is key to overall success.
Productive and fun work place with wonderful people to work with.
Legal Instruments Examiner (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVJune 10, 2019
Typical work day is 6am to 230pm.
Learned how to be productive and think on my feet.
Management is fair.
Workplace culture is well meshed.
The hardest part of the job is knowing I am capped out with no room for advancement.
The most enjoyable part of the job is we are all a family.
Special Agent Counterterrorism (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2019
No I will not review this. It is unacceptable to require this particularly with sensitive environments such as the Federal Bureau of investigation. Don't ask again.
What I've learned
Service Desk Mgr (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2019
With the many changes and reorganizations over the past few years, maintaining core values and diversity will assist you in your career progression with the FBI.
Exciting, Important, Satisfying, Proud
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 18, 2019
I have enjoyed my career with the FBI. I knew the importance of the mission and fulfilled it. It has proven to have been a most rewarding career. Leadership is very approachable.
Pros
Everthing
Excellent mission
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2019
Working for the Bureau is fantastic, with a clear mission to dedicate yourself to. It may not be as dramatic as in the movies, but the work is always interesting, the people are largely wonderful, and the sense of contributing to something greater than yourself cannot be understated. There are difficulties, for sure; as an intelligence professional, there is still room to grow in terms of the level of appreciation for the craft and the importance of the contribution to the overall mission. That said, the work cannot be beat - 10/10 would work here again.
Not all it's cracked up to be.
Special Agent (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 23, 2019
Being a special agent is mostly an administrative job. The organization places stronger emphasis on reports than performing investigative tasks. Nothing happens without the authorization of 3 or 4 supervisors leading to missed opportunities. Taking initiative on investigative duties is not something promoted by the organization. Those that take initiative, ask questions, or question supervisors are marginalized and immediately isolated leading to a cowed worforce. Your cases are not really yours to investigate. The political climate, especially now, is very fragile so be prepared to play the politics game. Speaking out is frowned upon. Some leaders are great to work with, some are horrible with no in between.
Pros
The mission is extremely important.
Cons
Bad leadership, lack or transparency, too political, organization cares more about itself than its employees.
Challenging, but rewarding
Counterintelligence Supervisory Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 16, 2019
Over the past 32 years, I've had the opportunity to work a wide variety of cases that have definitely been challenging, but also very rewarding. I have traveled and lived abroad and have had a story book career.
Work day
FBI Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 9, 2019
A typical work day can be very exciting and rewarding. I have learned new skills and abilities, since coming onboard. The FBI offers many opportunities for advancement, and I will encourage those interested in a career with the agency to apply.
Pros
Many opportunities for advancement
Cons
Relocation
The best place to contribute to the US government.
Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 3, 2019
Every day is different at the FBI because every case is different. Most of us think we live in the best country on the planet but at the FBI you can actually contribute to keeping that mission by protecting the country.
Personally rewarding
Special Agent in Charge (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2019
The lack of adequate financial compensation is the biggest drawback to the job. However, the quality of people, the dedication to service and the great mission make employment at the FBI the single best experience of my life.
Pros
Great mission and great people.
Cons
Compensation isn't adequate to skills and experience when compared with the private sector
Horrible place to work
Criminal History Examiner (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVMarch 26, 2019
If you were not an back side kisser you did not advance . I mean as in pay raise or anything. It wasn't based on your performance it was based on who ya know and other things. And God for bid if you have to use FMLA for a family member who is ill or yourself. That is an Act that was put in play by the President of the United States. But if you even invoke it one time. You are blackballed at the FBI. And eventually they try to find a way to terminate you even if it is for Wrongful Termination or Discrimination against an illness. They are famous for terminating sick people unless you're in that back side kissing group or you have cancer and your hair is falling out then they have proof you're really sick. Otherwise, they think they're all doctors. Wouldn't recommend somebody I hated to work there. Management is not trained AT ALL , talks to people awful (even cussed them, lies, steals government property, gets DUIs in Government vehicles, comes to work drunk and still has a job. They fire sick people and keep people who commit terrorist threats on the employees and the FBI Police .
Pros
Work you do is easy, good benefits
Cons
Too many to list
Productive and a great experience
Summer Student - Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2019
Scan badge to enter the building and go to my office, start with my to-do-list. Learned how to multi-task in a great way very quickly with the filing system. Management team was fair and helpful with learning about the day to day activities within the Bureau. Very diverse environment. No really hard days just a lot of moving parts with the files. I really enjoyed being a summer student and got payed.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Highly competent law enforcement and intelligence professionals
Supervisory Special Agent/FBI Advisor to SOCNORTH (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 19, 2019
The FBI is a highly professional organization with some of the best law enforcement and intelligence agents and analysts in the United States. The mission of the FBI demand a commitment to a fast paced work environment where becoming a subject matter expert (SME) is a necessity. The people are what make the FBI the premier Federal Law Enforcement agency.
Pros
Exceptional quality of people at all levels of the FBI.
Challenging yet piiceless experience
HONORS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2019
Working at the FBI was an honor. To be selected to intern among the top law enforcement that protects our country was a privilege. It is very competitive and challenging and you must be on your toes at all times. The experience you gain from here will be one that you may never get anywhere else. I enjoyed everything I did and learned so much.
Pros
knowledge learned, networking, skills learned
Cons
going from buiding to building, getting shuffled through supervisors
great work and great folks in the field
Supervisory Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAMarch 17, 2019
Great place to work with very good people. FBIHQ can be a headache to work with/for, but folks in the field, both agent and professional staff, do excellent work.
Excellent career
Unit Chief (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAMarch 12, 2019
Best job I've ever had. I would highly recommend working for the FBI. It is challenging and rewarding work. You are serving and protecting your Country.
Fbi
Investigative Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2019
Top-down leadership structure is extremely corrupt. Stagnant employees are promoted upward that lack leadership/people skills. Worst job I ever had.
Greatest place I've ever worked. Extremely challenging and fulfilling.
Senior Resident Agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 9, 2019
No day is every the same. Very dynamic environment with many variables and time sensitive demands that require decisiveness and effective decision making and coordination of limited and shared resources with external partners. Great culture that promotes team work and strong comradery. The hardest part of the job is trying to be involved with all the great work being done by good people, there's just too many. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with so many good people doing great work and being part of something bigger that has such a significant impact on national security and on the quality of life in the communities that are in our jurisdiction.
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2019
I enjoyed my career at the FBI. Fast paced environment, great people to work with. The case work was relevant and interesting. Long hours, lots of travel, nights and weekends.
Pros
Great work Great people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Powered by Comparably