Federal Bureau of Prisons Employee Reviews

seriuos work place
Line Cook/Butcher (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 19, 2019
straight to job duty, learned how to work in may different culinary positions, management was no non sense , employees help one another when needed, the hardest part was dealing with people negative attitude , the unity of the employees
Good place to work for low pay
Reintegration Case Manager (Former Employee) –  BostoJune 18, 2019
Keep looking for better employment it’s a good place to work for to get experience is law enforcement, however, the racial disparities that clients of color face within the program are horrible
Can make a lot of money but horrible work life balance
Federal Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Fairton, NJJune 17, 2019
Depending on your institution you might get mandated to stay an extra 8 hours after your shift a lot. Its hard to get time off if you're not high up in seniority, so its normal to call out. Calling out in turn means that someone else gets stuck for your shift so its a never ending cycle of people calling out because they need a day off the management wouldn't give them so they call out and someone gets stuck doing 16 hours. Poor system if you ask me. Other than that if you're ready to make money and don't care about doing a bunch of doubles you can make a lot of money!
Pros
A lot of overtime
Cons
You'll get mandated to stay 16 hours a lot.
Very good government agency to work for
Assistant Hospital Administrator (Former Employee) –  Talladega, ALJune 13, 2019
Working for the Federal Prison was a fulfilling experience. A lot of hard work and very dangerous at time. I work with Federal inmates of all levels.
Review Summary
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Alderson, WVJune 12, 2019
I enjoyed my career with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. It was a great career choice and I was able to stay in one location, giving me the ability to raise my kids in one place.
OVerall Decent Employment
Laundry/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJune 10, 2019
It is a decent day fraught with danger but in a safe environment, that enabled me to better myself and establish a work history that will enable me to secure employment in the future
Stressful Environment
Materials Handler Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hazelton, WVJune 8, 2019
Manage inmates daily keeping in mind that your trying to help in the rehabilitation process and be a positive person in their lives. They are people too, some of them don't care but some do and want to do better. The hardest part is seeing them fail because of the environment they are in and the situation they cannot get out of because of the environment they are in.
BOP Summary
Correctional Officer GS 7 Step 2 (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85756June 8, 2019
The job did not pay enough for all of the danger and stress that employees are under when working in a prison setting. Also, many times, the Prisons were very understaffed, and employees were mandated to work double shifts at the end of their tours of duties.
Worked for 22 years
Correctional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJune 8, 2019
I worked for the Bureau of prisons from correctional officer to Lieutenant and I got no complaints about the service. As an Correctional Supervisor, I have verified regular institution counts and orders special counts when circumstances warrant. I have coordinates with other departments the orderly operation of work details, meals, educational pursuits, religious activities, recreation, visits, and commissary. I frequently recommend to unit teams changes in individual inmate treatment programs, housing or work assignments. I have investigated and taken decisive action on incident reports, evaluating the circumstances of the report, interviewed inmates concerned and recommending the extent and type of disciplinary action to be taken. I have directed subordinates in security inspections of grills, bars, gates, doors, locks, fences, communication devices and duress codes. I make daily checks of detention facilities and takes action to correct any hazardous or unsafe condition. I schedule and direct regular inspections for contraband. As a Lieutenant I enforce security regulations and procedures pertaining to control, use and/or disposition of hazardous tools, knives, keys, firearms and contraband. I remain alert for signs of friction or tension among the inmate population, taking action to prevent fights, riots or disturbances. I investigate reported violations of prohibited acts, (i.e. assaults, escapes, introduction of contraband, disturbances or other illicit activities), taking appropriate actions as dictated by the seriousness of the violation. I conduct in-depth investigations  more... of incidents which involve criminal activity within the institution, establishing rapport with other federal, state, and local law-enforcement agencies. I am responsible for security of the unit and the safe, secure housing of all inmates within the unit.  less
Poor staff morale
Inmate Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Estill, SCJune 6, 2019
There is no direction or guidance in this company. It is mismanaged and tax payer dollars are genuinely misused and misappropriated. Most employees look for the easiest way to be lazy.
Pros
Some work without supervision
Cons
Lockdowns, lazy staffing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Coleman, FLJune 4, 2019
The Federal Bureau of Prisons is a great place to work. Everyday was different. Benefits are great as well as workplace culture. This job allows you to move up and move around easily.
Professional Career
supervisor (Former Employee) –  FDC,MiamiMay 30, 2019
The job was structured according to established rules and regulations with no room for your own interpretation. It as provided myself and my family with sound financial and professional law enforcement security for the last 22 years. Staff manage the inmates who were being held after being arrested for numerous violations of established federal laws within the United Stated. It has been a very rewarding experience both professionally and personally.
Pros
Benefits, and retirement savings
Cons
Working with violent offenders
great stepping stone
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Fairton, NJ 08320May 24, 2019
Great stepping stone to get your foot into the door for the federal government. Be prepared to be flexible whit shift work and weekends. pension and 401k
Outstanding career development and benefits
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ORMay 20, 2019
With 25 years of Federal Law Enforcement, my career far exceeded expectations. Career advancement was incredible as well as the benefits. Would do it again and refer many people to the great opportunities of working there.
Pros
Career development and benefits
Cons
Shift work.
Productive work place. Learned to be detail orientated
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  El Reno, OKMay 20, 2019
It was a very humbling experience. Taught me discipline and punctuality. Sometimes supervisors could be very harsh. Worked most holidays. Completing tasks in allotted time was mandatory.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Mandatory hours. Lot of the time there were no breaks
Different environment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 12, 2019
Prison is a different place to work. Overall, enjoyed my job, but it was monotonous. Overall good people to work with, but shady things happening all around within leadership. Would not return to this job.
It was a job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Milan, MIMay 12, 2019
Not very exciting. Look elsewhere for a job. Not a great culture. Management did not care for their employees. No advancement unless you know someone.
Awesome
Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 11, 2019
Great place to work for entry level with the possibility of advancement to management level. Only left to pursue a higher education with plans to return after graduation.
A little too stressfull
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Atwater, CAMay 10, 2019
I am considering other employment for my mental health and livelihood. This job at the Atwater location is VERY stressful and physically demanding. There has been several occasion for potential injury.
Prison life is a life education
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTMay 10, 2019
Working for the Federal Department of Justice, through the Bureau of Prisons is an education in process in understanding life of various cultures of Races. Dealing with Inmates from Low Security Levels to High. White collar crimes, to violent homicide. The Bureau gives instruction training thru the Academy, on the job training with Senior Officers, physical defense of Martial Arts (Akido), and weapons training which required passing for employment. Training is conducted annually as a refresher course. Advancement and assignments are available through out the Country.
Pros
A lot do and learn.
Cons
As in the Life of a Cop, you see things you can't forget and wish could. As well, there is a lot of Gratified Appreciation in the job.