Federal Bureau of Prisons
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

Federal Bureau of Prisons Employee Reviews in Lompoc, CA

Lompoc, CA24 reviews

Found 24 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,276 reviews

Is a very stressful job! You worked 8 hours and sometimes 16 hours a day. Three different shifts; 8am to 4pm, 4pm to 12am, 12am to 8am.

Good starting point for a federal career and you can buy back your military time. After 15 years in the BOP you’ll get 8 hours of annual leave Per pay period! Good health insurance that you keep after you retire. 401k (TSP) up to 13% of your salary per pay period.

Pros

Good starting point for a federal career!

Cons

BOP is a correctional setting!

Excellent

Great job, awesome experience. The BOP allows for many adventures and experiences. Highly recommend due to the ability to get a retirement and experiences that will transition to private sector.

Federal Bureau of Prisons insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Inclusive work environment

Camaraderie

There is a team mentality and one must be cohesive to that principle in that type of environment Once in, you will always be part of a brotherhood which cannot be broken one will always be vigile at the task presented

Great Benefits

Pay is good and benefits are great. Lots of room for promotions if you are willing to relocate. Hard on a single parent with mandatory overtimes and not a lot of flex-ability.

It was a great learning experience. Your coworkers are helpful in teaching the ropes if you dont exactly know what to do. The retirement package is the best part of the deal.

Sucks

Working with dirtbags and inmates. Hostile work environment and the family is not important. The people who work for the federal correctional complex are dirty.

Best job I ever had

What can I say about Lompoc penitentiary lol, prolonged periods of boredom followed by extreme moments of terror I think that would be a very accurate assessment

I liked it! I wouldn't change it for the world. It made me who I am as a person. It's helped my kids to go through private education! I would recommend it to anyone who has the chance!

Job Security

This is a career with many places to advance within. It is a stressful environment with great benefits and great pay. You have to be able to multi task and be ready for anything to happen within a correctional environment no matter what your position is.

Pros

Law enforcement pay

Cons

Possibility of injury or loss of life

No place to work

Bad management nationally and regionally creates problems for local management. The employees are awesome and always have your back and there is a very strong and capable union which is needed for this profession.

The work was rewarding . Do your job . Got to learn a lot about life. Also understand the purpose of not braking the law. Dealing with all walks of life was good . they was a lot of training all the time.If I was to say anything bad ,it would be working with bad people.

Great place to work.

A typical work day, you patrol your area, search inmates, their property and where they sleep and count them. I learned to be patient. Management is great. They care about their workers. Workplace is great, everyone gets along. The hardest part to deal with a irate inmate. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that everyone leaves work the same way they came to work.

Fun

I learned a lot on staying aware of your surroundings and react as quick as possible. I was able to meet a lot of great people who thought me how to speak to inmates etc.

security first

the primary of any position in the BOP is maintaining security of the inmates. otherwise the practice is like any other practice except all of your patient population is a felon.

Pros

good computer system for processing information

Cons

all of your patient population is a felon

Corrections

Work in a corrections setting. Approximately 3000 inmates. Numerous opportunities for various specific career fields. Food Service, Maintenance, Trust Fund, Corrections, Counseling, etc.

Pros

Keep the community safe

Cons

Dealing with inmates.

Sporadic work

The market for work dried up. the job was good once everyone was foreclosing on their mortgages. I would go in and haul off all the garbage, do the landscaping and clean the house.

Eventful

This is a good opportunity. Good Job for Federal Work. I enjoyed every minute of it. Great retirement and health insurance. It was a fun job.

Enjoyed co-workers, Circumstance wasn't comfortable

First I would assign jobs and made sure they had what they needed to complete their job.After I would restock and take inventory of equipment and supplies. I also would log working hours of each worker. I also did payroll.

Pros

Awsome Co-workers

Cons

Micro management

Upward mobility is limited

Fair workplace with a great tolerance for new talent. Excellent department management. Retirement benefits are good if you are in position to stay with them for 10 plus years.

Pros

Great location selection

Cons

Must work around convicted felons and dangerous equipment

this wes not a fun place to work

I was in prison and I mad .12 cents an hour a typical day at work: I was locked in a dinning room all day my co-workers were all inmates the hardest part of my job was having guards for a boss

Pros

no pros

Cons

lote of cons

Senior Federal Correctional Officer

A very diverse atmosphere that allows you to learn about people from all over the world who are incarcerated in the prison system. Working in a maximum security prison is like working within a large city atmosphere. It is a world within itself.

Pros

People contact with persons from all over the world

Cons

Dangerous, lots of violence

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Federal Bureau of Prisons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Federal Bureau of Prisons.
Powered byComparably