Federal Home Loan Bank Employee Reviews

coworkers were pleasant managemnt sucked
Senior Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
the commute sucks coming in from NWI ofice location was great. work environmet was ok. managers sucked. micro managing was just insane. If you didnt fit in to the "in crowd" you didnt advance.
Not my cup of tea
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
Wasn't my cup of tea, so I moved on. Never really had a sense of home. Couldn't put a wrapper on why not. Can't say what really stood out as the reason.
I was only a contrator
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2018
They hired me as a contractor, temp position, from March to Auguest 2018. They don't hire often. I tried to apply for jobs here but they require a lot of skills
Cons
They like temps, not hires
Fun place to work, high level of stress
INFORMATION SECURITY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 13, 2018
This is a great place to work, I have accomplished more in this company than any other place in my career. There is a high level of stress in this department and some of that is to be expected but outside of that, it is a really place to work and I am sad to be forced to look for something different.
Review
Compliance Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2018
FHLBSF is a very politically charged. Not much career growth or structure. Can be very challenging to learn because not much training is offered. Workplace culture is just OK.
Silo Enviornment
Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2018
The work is interesting, and has meaning, but It's the most isolated place I've every worked. I could literally go the entire day without having human contact once I arrive at the office. If you're new, good luck with building relationship with those that have been there 10 or more years. Managers lack leadership skills. The one person that had charisma and knew how to lead, retired after being with the organization 39 years; it was sad to see him go. If you are not out going, and enjoy solitude, this is an ideal place to work.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
Extreamly conservative enviornment
Happy envirornment
Product Delivery Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2018
All of the. staff was friendly and funny. They were happy to help me with any problems I may have had. My first week there I was taken out to lunch by different employees to meet and mingle with the staff.
Quiet and relaxed workplace
QA AUTOMATION INTERN (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2018
Working at FHLBI was for the most part an enjoyable experience. The environment was quiet and relaxed. Low pressure on my part in terms of meeting deadlines, however I made sure that my work was submitted prior to the set deadline. Didn't have opportunities to be involved in other projects, even though I asked if I could in order to broaden my work load and experience. My supervisor was very approachable and easy to speak with. Provided clear deatials on the direction of assigned projects.
Pros
Autonomy and flexible schedule
Cons
Very little involvment in other projects
Temporary contract (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 21, 2018
I was on a temporary contract working for the director of marketing. . The atmosphere was great and I enjoyed it because we had worked so closely with them at the Bank Board.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Temporary job
Worst team ever encountered
IT Governance/ Risk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 4, 2018
The poorest demonstration of leadership ever witnessed. Lack of vision. High turnover. Managers not versed in the areas where they were responsible. Passive aggressive environment.
Monotonous, difficult to collaborate, good compensation
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2018
The role paid very well, however, there were many situations where management was disrespectful. The department I worked in was paper based and most of my time was spent trying to get the files scanned in and organized.
Come in and do your job with little supervision
Wire Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioFebruary 4, 2018
Answer phones and take customers request for wire transfer and key into AS400. Management was ok to work for. Workplace was relaxed not standing over you watching everything. Was not really a hard part to the job and was an enjoyable place to work Mathc 401k
Pros
You got 12 sick days a year which carried over if not used.
God place to learn and grow professionally
Systems & Programming Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10003November 5, 2017
Worked as a programmer analyst and was eventually promoted to manager with a team of 8 programmers. Professional courses were encouraged and paid for totally by the company. 80% of college tuition was paid if an employee wanted to obtain or further their college education.
Pros
An employee could take as many technical-enhancing courses he could handle if related to a project, such course paid for by the company
Cons
9-5 was strictly enforced to ensure no burnout, deadlines would slip due to adherence to the time frame
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 1, 2017
I was an intern so I can't speak for permanent workers, but i really enjoyed my time there the other IT team members were always willing to help out and team work was emphasized.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Boring on occasion
Productive and collaborative work place
San Francisco, CA - Applications Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2017
Manager supportive, colleagues collaborative, and job satisfactory. Te management provided the tools and the learning curve for new technologies and advancement.
Pros
Nurturing workplace, work-life balance
Cons
No parking in downtown San Francisco, have to commute.
Risk Avoidance is #1
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 16, 2017
Two things are absolutes at FHLBI, be ready for change and avoid risk at all costs. Those concepts govern most every role and are part of the culture. Not a bad place to work, but expect to follow procedure to a T and more of a wash, rinse, repeat type job generally speaking. If you are looking for a slower paced role that doesn't require 80 hours a week this is the right spot.
Great People
Sr. IT System Analyst/Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Great people and great managers, no pressure. Always try to adopt new technologies. They are one the first companies who adopted Agile Methodologies across whole company.
Great work environment and respectful management.
SOX Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 22, 2017
Great work environment and respectful management. Culture from the top down was very positive and they take their work seriously, while also providing great work/life balance.
Productive and a fun workplace. Very appreciative and skilled professionals.
DBA Intern (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 20, 2017
FHLBDM has a very productive work environment. The work that you put in is valued and you can see that you are adding value to the team as well as the bank itself.

This place has helped me grow both personally and professionally.
Excellent work/life balance
Java Application Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2017
FHLB of Des Moines has excellent work/life balance. My team was amazing, very friendly and always ready to help colleagues. Management was supportive.