Federal Home Loan Bank Employee Reviews

A very regulated environmnet. Solid process driven procedures and functions. Willing to accept change in technology.
Director, Infrastructure & Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 14, 2019
A good experience. Senior management is open to new and different change within the technology environment. The results of my efforts were recognized and appreciated.
Report Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2019
Lot of opportunity to learn and grow. Excellent work culture. State of the art tools and technologies. Flexible work schedule.Collaborative work ethic.
Good company, great people, evolving systems
Internal Audit Consultant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 29, 2019
Clear, customer-focused mission. Really nice office facilities. Great people & culture. Improvements to systems and controls to better serve customers are emphasized and ongoing.
Going downhill quickly!
IT (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 29, 2019
FHLB Des Moines used to be a great place to work where they valued their employees and work/life balance. Things didn't always go smoothly, but management cared about their employees and tried to do the right thing. Now the Bank has thrown all of that out the window. Work loads and deadlines are unreasonable and employees are required to put in ridiculous hours to get the work done and management openly condones or turns a blind eye to blatant violations of existing polices and procedures in the name of getting more done more quickly. Unfortunately, anybody that tries to do the right thing is removed for any reason they can trump up. There are still good people that work here, but everybody fears for their job if they say the wrong thing or try to follow the "correct" steps. Management wants "yes" men/women who will blindly follow them without question. If your moral compass is a bit bent, then feel free to come join us. If not, you may want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Pay and benefits are decent
Cons
Management, work load, ethics
no comment
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2019
Like all companies there are good and bad. It is a bank and the banking hours and holidays are great. Work conditions are great. Many people have double digit years of service.
really was a fun place to work
Adjustment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 27, 2018
It was a very good place to work and had alot of experience given to me we all did alot but helping customers was always the best part to me . Mangement was very help full to me the manager took me under her wing and helped trained me to do the jobs that i did. everyone there was very nice and easy to work for we all enjoyed are time there
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 26, 2018
One of the most amazing companies to work for in Cincinnati. Very supportive people and exceptional work life balance. Lucky to be part of such a great company.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Nothing I can think off
Growing company
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 30, 2018
This is a great company to work for that has many developmental opportunities The compensation,benefits and bonuses are outstanding. I loved working for this company.
Fhlbsf
SR. HR GENERALIST (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 4, 2018
If you started working here 30 years ago, you had a great, kushy ride. Now, it's a blast from the past. No flexibility in hours, no working from home, old fashioned tools and resources, HUGE disparity between executive pay and staff pay (yet staff are the ones that do all the work - and there is a LOT of work to be done). If you are hired in as VP or above, this is a good place for you financially. If you are not, look elsewhere. But - Exec's - beware of the politics and popularity game. In our economy today, the FHLB's are no longer needed yet they still have an implicit guarantee from the Fed and don't need to pay corporate taxes. Seems like a waste of our money, doesn't it?
Pros
Good Healthcare benefits and decent pay
Cons
No growth or learning. No flexibility. No innovation.
Processing Checks
Balancing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2018
Ten key by touch around 1800 key strokes per hour. Sort checks by
Banks and processed and balance by batches. Balanced to the penny every night and processed to be sent to the Federal Reserve Bank on a timely manner.
Pros
Making all of our deadlines.
Cons
Not making our deadlines
coworkers were pleasant managemnt sucked
Senior Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2018
the commute sucks coming in from NWI ofice location was great. work environmet was ok. managers sucked. micro managing was just insane. If you didnt fit in to the "in crowd" you didnt advance.
Not my cup of tea
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
Wasn't my cup of tea, so I moved on. Never really had a sense of home. Couldn't put a wrapper on why not. Can't say what really stood out as the reason.
I was only a contrator
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2018
They hired me as a contractor, temp position, from March to Auguest 2018. They don't hire often. I tried to apply for jobs here but they require a lot of skills
Cons
They like temps, not hires
Fun place to work, high level of stress
INFORMATION SECURITY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 13, 2018
This is a great place to work, I have accomplished more in this company than any other place in my career. There is a high level of stress in this department and some of that is to be expected but outside of that, it is a really place to work and I am sad to be forced to look for something different.
Review
Compliance Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2018
FHLBSF is a very politically charged. Not much career growth or structure. Can be very challenging to learn because not much training is offered. Workplace culture is just OK.
Silo Enviornment
Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2018
The work is interesting, and has meaning, but It's the most isolated place I've every worked. I could literally go the entire day without having human contact once I arrive at the office. If you're new, good luck with building relationship with those that have been there 10 or more years. Managers lack leadership skills. The one person that had charisma and knew how to lead, retired after being with the organization 39 years; it was sad to see him go. If you are not out going, and enjoy solitude, this is an ideal place to work.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
Extreamly conservative enviornment
Happy envirornment
Product Delivery Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2018
All of the. staff was friendly and funny. They were happy to help me with any problems I may have had. My first week there I was taken out to lunch by different employees to meet and mingle with the staff.
Quiet and relaxed workplace
QA AUTOMATION INTERN (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2018
Working at FHLBI was for the most part an enjoyable experience. The environment was quiet and relaxed. Low pressure on my part in terms of meeting deadlines, however I made sure that my work was submitted prior to the set deadline. Didn't have opportunities to be involved in other projects, even though I asked if I could in order to broaden my work load and experience. My supervisor was very approachable and easy to speak with. Provided clear deatials on the direction of assigned projects.
Pros
Autonomy and flexible schedule
Cons
Very little involvment in other projects
Temporary contract (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 21, 2018
I was on a temporary contract working for the director of marketing. . The atmosphere was great and I enjoyed it because we had worked so closely with them at the Bank Board.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Temporary job
Worst team ever encountered
IT Governance/ Risk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 4, 2018
The poorest demonstration of leadership ever witnessed. Lack of vision. High turnover. Managers not versed in the areas where they were responsible. Passive aggressive environment.