Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Boring, but comfortable
Senior Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 13, 2018
There's little drive to do more than what is required, but that means you get to leave at 5 and you don't have to take work home. Great for people with families, not great for motivated employees early in their career
Good steady organization
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2017
If you're happy with your role and not too ambitious, the Fed can be a great place to work. It's stable and provides for a good work life balance, but there's not a lot of forward momentum.
wonderful place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 12, 2017
Wonderful place to work.It is a fast pace atmosphere. Very hard working group of employees. I was promoted every year and received additional bonuses for hard work ethic. I relocated to Sacramento, Ca. I commuted for one year. It was wuite difficult. I opened my own Day Care Business and was very succesful. I really miss working for The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. I would love to be rehired if possible. I reaaly enjoyed assisting The Commercial Banks and solving
Their problems with their accounts. I received excellent reviews from their customers.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
healthcare
Fun workplace
Check Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2017
The Fed was a great place to work. We had a wonderful chance to advance and on holidays the big bosses would work the food lines serving all of us lunch in the cafeteria. It was such a pleasure getting to meet them. We would take turns to help with the counting of money to be destroyed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Cross training
Mission Driven Organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2017
If you are looking for a organization with a powerful mission, the Bank is a place to consider. I am proud of my years of service. I enjoyed working with many amazing people.
Benefits and pay is better than most banks
Operation/Technical Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2017
Working for the Federal Reserve was a good experience. The Federal Reserve Bank is not a Federal Job as most think. The culture of the bank is to create a ONE Bank concept, this was just being rolled out in 2017. Not sure how it will work.
Lots of younger management, tend to favor certain employees over others due to production instead of overall compliance and teamwork.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
favoritism of employees by management, unprofessional behaviors.
Great benefits and People
Technical Analyst II (Current Employee) –  NJMay 24, 2017
Great place to work. The benefits are top notch and everyone is so helpful.I would encourage people to strongly take a look at the Federal Reserve and all of their openings.
manager was always very helpful.
Operations Specialist, Check (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2017
Federal Reserve Bank was one of the best places to work for. i really enjoy working at the fed. i was really sad when checks department had to close.
Fun workplace
Checks processing clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 21, 2017
Great place to work. It was great working there too bad they closed the department. Coworkers were great. The atmosphere was good. Enjoyed the time that I worked here.
good place to work
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2017
It was a good place to work, you learn so much about the economy and how the banking system works.
One should have good banking domain knowledge.
Good work life balance.
Nice place to work but limited advancement
Accounting (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2016
Great place to work, great work life balance and benefits if you're not looking to advance quickly. Management plays favors so hard work and competency may not be rewarded, a lot of politics. The bank used to provide job security but not anymore.
Pros
work life balance, nice office location, great benefits
Cons
limited opportunities to advance, management
Excellent Benefits - really bad management
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2016
A true ivory tower approach to management. No coaching or mentoring. Very much a sink or swim environment with an overwhelming amount of politics.
Pros
Location, benefits (includes a pension after 5 years)
Cons
Must fit the mold and no mistakes allowed.
Great Place to work
Vault teller 3 (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 8, 2016
This was a great place to work with great management and opportunities to advance and insurance benefits are great. Also
this place has good team work and is not stressful.
Pros
Great bonus and fun place to work at.
Federal Reserve Bank
Cash operations (Former Employee) –  Renton waAugust 10, 2016
A good company with average benefits for employees. Room for advancement with additional education requirements.
Must be able to work with people in a stressful environment and report to management of any and all violations of fellow employees.
Good, but bureaucratic
Greater China Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2016
The Fed is a good place to work with smart people and an important mission. However, it is frustrating to get anything done because of excessive bureaucracy.
Strong Structure
Substitute Bank Examiner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2016
Provides strong educational experience and variety of work. A lot of opportunity for travel. Job security for someone who is serious about work.
Pros
Lot of travel
Cons
Lots of travel
The best place to work. They listen and care for their employees.
Information Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, SFApril 30, 2016
I enjoyed working at the bank. They allowed me to think freely and implement new ideas and was rewarded generously. I had the latitude to manage my team and the data centers the way I saw best. They were like family. I had the ability to review new technology and implement it if I saw that it was beneficial to the Bank. We had yearly meetings with all the Managers to get together and have fun events. The Bank took care of their employees.
Pros
Great cafeteria and break/think area
Cons
Getting into SF and going through security everyday.
Challenging with room for advancement.
Police Lieutenant (FLEO) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 12, 2015
The Police Department is composed of Federal Law Enforcement Officers who have been trained and designated as such since shortly after the attacks on 9-11. Sometimes the goals of banking and law enforcement seem to be at odds.
Pros
retirement benefits, health care
Not what you would expect
Generalist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2015
I have worked primarily in events and entertainment within the marketing, event management, B2B sales, and other tasks that made me a generalist of many specialties.

I went in to FRBSF without really understanding what they wanted from the job description I was given. But people here are professional and bright. I was just an element of disruption to optimize their process and introduce innovation and new technologies to help achieve their goals.

As a contractor, I was given my freedom without interference from micromanagement, although I had to work with the bureaucratic hoops that made, especially, the implementation of new technology hard at the Fed, but I was supported by the particular department that was requesting a solution.

I am generally approached with special projects, I do not attend any meeting as a contractor, so I can only imagine what the grand picture is for what I do. However, even though FRBSF is a huge organization, people from management, Sr. management, and Executive level would take their time to come by to shake my hand and thank me for what I am doing, so it is a humbling experience that your work is noticed.

I was told that each division has a microculture of its own, but interacting with many of them, I still see that teamwork is valued highly here. It is an eye opener for sure if you only know the Fed reading things on websites and history books.
Pros
Great management and team collaboration
Cons
Bureaucracy
Great place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2015
Great culture in the IT area and great leadership. A lot of talent people, so advancement is difficult. Also compensation is less that most of the local area.