Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco

Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Employee/management Relationship was the best I’ve ever experienced in an employer. The diversity, work hours flexibility, benefits and salary were just few things I missed when I left the company due to department shutdown. I was 7 years short of getting a decent retirement benefits so I was a little disappointed when the checks department was relocated to Kansas City
FRBSF is a great place to work with a diverse work force. It offers opportunities to folks with diverse backgrounds spanning from economics to IT. It spends heavily on employee development and is a fun place to work.
Productive Workplace Focused on Currency Security
A relaxed work place with a sense of purpose. Working expectations and procedures are well defined with regular supervisor assistance and support. The bank is focused on both inter and intra bank community, really fostering a sense of community.
Progressive work environment
It is competitive with most fortune 500 companies for worker satisfaction. It will give a person what they are willing to put into it. It offers many opportunities to advance, move to another department and contribute to the community.
Excellent, challenge work, but very unsupportive management
Diversity is only about PR, not practice. Advancement is difficult and despite hard work and dedication, cronyism is rampant.

The pay and benefits are excellent so this is what makes this job attractive. Different management would make a difference.
Disappointing
Federal Reserve itself as a whole institution is solid. But the people that runs the operation, regardless of the department, specially the police services are totally inept. I’m surprised the FED is still here. They should really audit the FED thoroughly. Words cannot describe fully how that place is. A warning to all not to even venture. This place is a modern day Plantation. Worked at the FED long enough to know what I’m talking about.
Great client.
Really nice team to work with. Very supportive and good sense of humor. Attention to detail is important. Takes a bit to understand the non-profit culture.
Great company to work for, but they have no compassion
I worked for the Federal reserve for 22 years in different departments. On my last day of work my manager asked me to go to the conference room where he called Human resources and they informed me i was being terminated for my recent errors and behavior issues. A couple weeks later i fell into a coma and was hospitalized due to low sodium i had for a couple years without knowing, The doctor said this was probably the reason for my errors and behavior issues. I called Human resources to explain this to him but he said it didn't matter the decision was final. I tried calling management but they wouldn't return my calls. I own up to my mistakes, but to be tossed aside like i was worth nothing was very hurtful. I miss my coworkers and job every day.
Pros
The people and the pay
Cons
Very cold with no compassion.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco?
Needs Improvement
Due to lack of sleep and rest, employees are exhausted; fatigue showing less productiveness
Benefits are good however when employees use them managers questions why taking sick leave or fmla

Females are receiving low pay and overlooked; we are told that we should show some muscles

management needs to retire as they are completely burned out; no energy to motivate as their days are just about retirement; withholding information leads to failure and for failure

Management needs to be multiculturally educated
The hard part of job is management
If management cared more about it's employees I would of stayed longer. In all employees were a great bunch of people to work with. Benefits were great!
Security is # 1
I wasn't happy about the location. I liked the environment. I like the people. The culture was "by the Book" no exceptions. I would have like to stay, but my whole department was being phased out.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Down town SF.
learning
great leadership and people are nice. Self learning. Great work life balance. Smart people and skilled. Management is a work in progress but open to opinions.
Management is bureaucratic
Managers have grown up in the Federal Reserve System. They claim they want new ideas but they don’t really. New ideas and fresh perspective are seen as insubordinate. Collaboration is valued far more than accomplishing anything. The only way to advance is to work here your entire career. They do not trust anyone from the outside.
Pros
Flexible work from home and casual dress. Great benefits. Public mission.
Cons
Inbreeding
Everyone is overpaid
Everyone is overpaid. My boss was a moron who has been there for 30 years and so they can't get rid of him without paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars. So despite his incompetence he is still there. The pay and benefits are good but you are being way overpaid.
My dream job!
My time with the fed was short lived. It was my dream company and job but what sold me was the team I would be working for. Very welcoming company where people call you by name and ability to join various social groups within was wonderful! Offered free parking and generous benefits. Unfortunately, I had to resign due to conflict of interest with the role I had in dealing with sensitive issues and the current position another family member of mine was in. Unfortunate, but they provided me with a great letter of recommendation and generous severance package. Excellent company to work for!
Pros
Compensation / Parking / Benefits / Work Life Balance
Cons
A little slow paced / not much customer contact
Good folks, bad operations
There are a lot of good folks working at the SF Fed. However, lots of objectives and intern,al regulations contradicts itself, preventing any actual progress.

Although, they are changing at the snail's pace, nonetheless, they are changing for the better. But if you would to compare FRB of San Francisco vs. FRB of New York, FRBSF is in the lead for changes for the good and transparency.
Pros
Nice folks
Cons
Too secretive
A place of mission
The Federal Reserve has great opportunities to create your own training and really expose yourself to different areas of the bank. The mission is something that you can get behind and recent changes in culture have made the bank more progressive. The mission is profound and if you study any field of economics, you will have an appreciation for what is done. The benefits and pension are still pretty elite. They have great leave and time off.

The only complaints are the pace of change. Senior management has been changing the culture but the director level filters out that message. The ability to make decisions is also layered by decision makers. The organization can get a bit flatter. Sometimes there are too many business managers and not enough people doing the work.
Pros
Benefits, time off, pension, stability, exposure to different areas
Cons
decision making, leadership, diversity
Review of Federal Reserve Bank
Tremendous opportunity for learning as it was the beginning of the tech age. I was provided opportunities to learn the the tech industry, work with others who were mentors, and learn the art and alchemy of person computers.

Great place to launch a career in the IT industry.
Pros
Tremendous potential growth and learning
Cons
Pseudo governmental agency that moves slowly
Great Place to Work
I retired from the Federal Reserve! Why am I required to review it?

I worked 20 years at the Federal Reserve in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. It has excellent pay, work environment, great benefits!
Good place to grow/learn
You can learn a lot at the SF Fed, however, promotions can be limited and difficult to get. The people are great to work with. Depending on the job people can travel anywhere from a couple days a year to well over 100.
Great work/life balance.
Worked with a wonderful team that collaborated with each other. Able to expand technical skills through training and work assignments. Again, great work/life balance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
4.3
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.